PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone want my 10 grand ?

Burger
4th February 2006, 12:02
First, I'm new here, so hi to everyone. Anyway, I can't seem to find anyone that wants my money.

I went into Motorad today, seriously looking at a new bike priced at around $10k. I moped around the shop for a bit, while the salespeople finished discussing what they were having for lunch. Eventually someone approached me (I'm assuming it was because he wanted to get to the other side of the shop).

"Hi, yeah, I'm seriously looking at that bike there"

"Oh yeah great, popular model, nice bike"

"Err, great... (explain what I'm looking for in a bike)"

"Right, yeah... (spots and waves to his mate who entered the shop) Umm, yeah have a look at it, it's right there"

And that was it. That was his entire pitch to get me to drop 10 grand. He simply walked away to talk with whoeverthefuck came in and left me standing there.

If I can get away with it, I won't ever go into that shop again, but I'm pretty set on a new Kawa ER-6. Anyone else in the Wellington area sell them, or do I once more have to put up with shocking service and purchase my bike from Mordor itself ?

Highlander
4th February 2006, 12:18
Firstly Welcome to the site.

Second, I'll take 10 Grand from anyone willing to make a donation.

Third, Plenty of other shops that do give a bit of customer service. Find one that does and avoid the others like the plague.

Bit of a haul from where you are, but the guys at Bayride in Tauranga have always been really helpful to me. First place I go for anything bike related apart from petrol.

onearmedbandit
4th February 2006, 12:24
Being the manager of a vehicle retail outfit I'm an constantly dumbfounded by sales people who can't perform basic duties, ie sell the fucken vehicle. I don't care if the last 100 people you've spoken to are timewasters, the next punter could be a buyer. Nothing irks me more in my job then incompetent lazy sales people. I'd talk to the sales manager or owner and highlight the issue to him/her. Hopefully if they care about their business they'll do something to sweeten the deal for you and also give the sales person a grilling.

Basics in selling: Never judge a book by it's cover. Everyone is a buyer until you determine otherwise.

Vehicle sales is quite a social job, but while you are at work you are there to sell, not read the paper, make personal calls, and talk to mates. We are lucky enough to be able to actually do all these things and more at work, but when there are customers in the shop they are your first priority.

Highlander
4th February 2006, 12:27
Better still if you tell the manager, the sales rep get a tune up AND you take your business elswhere.

Sniper
4th February 2006, 13:37
Bugger mate, not the sort of thing you were expecting, but hey, its their loss not yours. Good luck on the bike front

onearmedbandit
4th February 2006, 13:38
I wouldn't just judge the business by one experience. Talk to the manager and see what kind of response you get. If he/she takes interest then maybe it's worth doing business with them, as you will always be remembered as a 'special attention' customer as you could've taken your money elsewhere but choose otherwise. (all customers are important, from the one buying a $5 gasket through to the one buying his 2nd $40,000 Ducati. You will not be remembered as a 'problem customer' so don't worry about that.) Be reasonable in your approach, do not rant and rave. Just bring to their attention the situation as you see it. If they don't seem interested in what you have to say, then most certainly walk away. If you can't get good service from the manager before you've handed over your money, imagine what it will be like after they've taken your coin.

Grumpy
4th February 2006, 13:42
Welcome to the site.
I hear the boys at Masterton are a good lot to deal with and they have the Kwaka in the shop. Give them a go.

cowpoos
4th February 2006, 14:46
Welcome to the site.
I hear the boys at Masterton are a good lot to deal with and they have the Kwaka in the shop. Give them a go.

yep...chris is happy to sell ya a bike.... but after that.... they are shit... honestly.... shit

MidnightMike
4th February 2006, 14:48
Ill have it, give it to me, me! :Oi:

Highlander
4th February 2006, 14:50
Mike, check post number 2 - I BEAT YOU. :Pokey:

aff-man
4th February 2006, 15:02
Have you seen this thread ... a bit more than what you're looking for but a bloody good deal.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=23829

MidnightMike
4th February 2006, 15:10
Mike, check post number 2 - I BEAT YOU. :Pokey:But you already have a bike, i need one :cry:
Ill halve it with you then.

madmal64
4th February 2006, 15:13
I hate to say it. But the others in Wellington city are no better either from my experience.
I have found that Kerry & Robin in the parts & accesories at Motorad/Sawyers are bloody brilliant:niceone: I have "followed" Kerry from another bike shop in Wellington to Motorad due to his attitude and willingness to have my business.
Im in the market for a new bike myself and Im finding it really hard to part with my cash due to apathetic sales staff. Im in sales myself in a high dollar value market and I cannot believe how lax the service is in general in this town when it comes to buying a bike.
Well Im off to Nelson next week and I will be sticking my head into Thunderbike as they have a couple of bikes that would suit me. It will be interesting to see if they are any better.

Coyote
4th February 2006, 15:15
The few times my Dad has delt with Motorad, they've been pretty good. The guy was probably letting you have a look and I'm sure if you asked to know more about it they would've talked about it in depth.

They gave us a pretty good trade in deal with our old CRF150, that's why I'm defending them

miSTa
4th February 2006, 15:19
Basics in selling: Never judge a book by it's cover. Everyone is a buyer until you determine otherwise.

:clap: :clap: Excellent point. My last two bike purchases have been private sales because bike shops haven't taken me seriously - you lose not me.

onearmedbandit
4th February 2006, 15:42
"Hi, yeah, I'm seriously looking at that bike there"

"Oh yeah great, popular model, nice bike"

"Err, great... (explain what I'm looking for in a bike)"

"Right, yeah... (spots and waves to his mate who entered the shop) Umm, yeah have a look at it, it's right there"

And that was it. That was his entire pitch to get me to drop 10 grand. He simply walked away

The guy was probably letting you have a look and I'm sure if you asked to know more about it they would've talked about it in depth.

I think you'll find he did ask about the bike and showed buying signs.
The salesman failed in his duties. If the person who walked into the shop was there for an appointment or whatever, the salesman should've explained, excused himself and either made the other client comfortable while he waited or organised someone to either look after him or the customer who was on the showroom floor expressing interest in buying a bike. No excuses.

Virago
4th February 2006, 16:12
Yes, I can understand your frustration, but don't drop the ball after one foul.

Turn the situation to your advantage. Go and see the manager and tell him of your experience. Tell him you walked out in frustration, but chose to give them another chance. I'm sure you will be well looked after!

Good luck, and welcome to the site!

Pickle
4th February 2006, 16:17
Hi Burger, if its any consolation we have had the exact same problem with motorad on numerous occasions and now won't deal with them for anything. As a result they have lost at least 2 brand new bike sales and plenty of spare parts.
We went to AFC in Palmerston North and got great service, quotes on parts for our ZX6's and are still waiting on Motorad. It seems if you are just looking then they (motorad ) are not interested, AFC on the other hand will talk to you about the bike, find pamphlets & let you take one for a demo ride if one is available, even took the salesmans own 2005 ZX636 for a demo ride.

Burger
4th February 2006, 16:30
Thanks for your suggestions everyone.

But I'm pretty strong in my belief that I should not have to go back there. When I walked into that shop expressing serious interest in a motorcycle (hell, it wouldn't have been a hard sell), I should have been treated like the King of Monaco.

My boss is good friends with the guys at Motorad, and gets all his bikes from there, and put me onto them. I'm going to let him know exactly what kind of experience I had, so maybe that will jar them a bit.

But seriously, I felt embarrased and intimidated in that shop. I felt like some sort of wannabe biker scum that wanders in to look at pretty things and waste time.

I used to work as a salesman, and while I did not enjoy the job, or the pay, nobody ever got bad service from me.

I might get in contact with that Palmerston North crowd in a month or two when I will be buying. Plus it will be a fun ride home... But as for Motorad, they have potentially lost a lifetime of my money.

Wasp
4th February 2006, 16:33
Heya burger welcome the kb, I hope you join the rides us welly folk do every thursday night (check the "meetings and events" forum)

Dont worry about feeling like scum, before I met martin properly I was always treated with little respect at motomart. Just tell em who your boss is and that your from kiwibiker, should do the trick.

See ya around

onearmedbandit
4th February 2006, 16:49
Wasp, he shouldn't have to say who his boss is or that he's a member at kb. Don't get me wrong as I'm not having a go at you at all. No doubt the owner spends 10's if not more of thousands on advertising to get punters in the door, only to have the staff let them walk back out with their profit. As I said, no excuses.

far queue
4th February 2006, 17:08
No doubt the owner spends 10's if not more of thousands on advertising to get punters in the door, only to have the staff let them walk back out with their profit. As I said, no excuses.

Not only do the punters walk out the door, they tell everyone of the bad experience they had. Just like has happened here. I bet the boss/owner would be real pissed to know about all this. But good on ya Burger for sharing your experience.

Kendog
4th February 2006, 17:19
I have had mixed service from there. The parts team are fantastic, the workshop is not to bad.
The sales staff can be good at times, but often :argh:
I have bought 5 bikes in the last 3/4 years and not one of them there.

It really is amazing the difference between bike sales people and car sales people.

number33
4th February 2006, 17:21
Flash the cash then string the slackasses along to the max and drive the sons of bitches waaay down on price. And a free Shoei helmet and gloves and free spare set of sprockets (Of your size choice) and a free new spare tyre of your choice (To be fitted and balanced for free whenever you want) And make sure the fuckers throw in a full fuel tank and 5 litre pack of oil(Of your choice)

Kendog
4th February 2006, 17:21
Not only do the punters walk out the door, they tell everyone of the bad experience they had. Just like has happened happened here. I bet the boss/owner would be real pissed to know about all this. But good on ya Burger for sharing your experience.

Word of mouth is the best form of advertising.

If you want good advertising give good service, end of story.

kiwifruit
4th February 2006, 19:02
bayride in tauranga is the place to go
http://bayrideyamahaandtriumph.motorcycletrader.co.nz/
or just fire them an email
very helpful
Cheers, Allan.

MidnightMike
4th February 2006, 19:07
They sure are, and they treat u like a king, I was even offered a testride without a license, they rule! :wari:

pritch
4th February 2006, 19:22
I was even offered a testride without a license,

Ummm I might need some help here. Am I supposed to score that for or against?

Firefight
4th February 2006, 19:23
bayride in tauranga is the place to go
http://bayrideyamahaandtriumph.motorcycletrader.co.nz/
or just fire them an email
very helpful
Cheers, Allan.

yes have to agree with you Allan, have bought two bikes off them already,great service, and they are always quick to offer you a test ride to fill in the day.

Wish them well, and will more than likely get the 06 From them.

F/F

MidnightMike
4th February 2006, 19:30
Ummm I might need some help here. Am I supposed to score that for or against?

For, I just didnt have it with me.

Swoop
4th February 2006, 20:09
I went into Motorad today, seriously looking at a new bike priced at around $10k. I moped around the shop for a bit, while the salespeople finished discussing what they were having for lunch. Eventually someone approached me (I'm assuming it was because he wanted to get to the other side of the shop).
Hi and welcome to KB, Burger

Unfortunately this is the level of service you come to expect from some outlets in NZ...

Whether you walk in naked holding nothing but your wallet, or wearing a tailored 3-piece suit, you should expect the same service and appreciation...

If a dealer dosen't give a fu*k then move right along...

Meanie
4th February 2006, 20:11
First welcome to KB from another newbie
Pickle is right AFC in Palmerston North will fall over you to help and thier service is awesome :niceone:
I,ve bought 3 bikes from them now and never had a problem
Great guys to deal with

_Gina_
4th February 2006, 20:43
I find wandering in and throwing your leg over a few bikes gets their attention......If you just wander around they seem disinterested sometimes.

Another tip is NOT to go in on a Saturday morning, seems to be heaps of people just looking! Maybe a week day would sort things out?!? I just like to get good service and that seems to me the best way to get it as most bike stores from time to time are guilty of that type of behaviour.

Gg

To be clear - I would not buy the bike from any store that treated me like that.

Burger
4th February 2006, 21:01
I appreciate that they are busy on a Saturday, but when I went in they were not. After I was ignored by said salesperson I looked at the bike for another few minutes, I didn't want to touch it at all, I already felt like enough of a cock. All the while the other salespeople/manager/whatever milled about having a chat.

Then I left. Not only was I absolutley confused and bewildered, I was super pissed.

I've already had a good suggestion PM'ed to me, and will try and follow through with that, and if someone will finally sell me the thing I'd love to go for a ride with some of you (I don't really know anyone who rides).

Colapop
4th February 2006, 21:05
Howdy Y'all and a big KB welcome to ya! Having wandered around Motorad, and had a 'salesman' ignore me for long enough I concur with what you're saying. Importantly though, and as a former salesman you'll know this, people don't come in the door unless they want to buy. It's your job as a salesman to show them you've got what they want and a way that they can pay for it. Hard sell, soft sell, empathy and all the sales shit that goes with it means nothing if you don't make the sale. Spend your money elsewhere Usually the after sales service matches the sales service. I went into Motomart last week and found the salesman in there to be top notch - I'm sorry I didn't have the money to spend. I think from memory he has a couple Kawa's to sell, you could try them.

http://www.motomart.co.nz/

I don't even get commision!!

stify
4th February 2006, 21:31
had an experience similar to yours dude, was ready to trade my bike on a "on behalf" bike...first they wern't interested in talking to me at all, but they were busy, but came back later and they were still not interested at all, pity for the person who put their trust in them to move their bike, won't bother shopping for a bike there again, but had no probs with the parts dept, they couldn't be more helpful

Pixie
4th February 2006, 22:59
Being the manager of a vehicle retail outfit I'm an constantly dumbfounded by sales people who can't perform basic duties, ie sell the fucken vehicle. I don't care if the last 100 people you've spoken to are timewasters, the next punter could be a buyer. Nothing irks me more in my job then incompetent lazy sales people. I'd talk to the sales manager or owner and highlight the issue to him/her. Hopefully if they care about their business they'll do something to sweeten the deal for you and also give the sales person a grilling.

Vehicle sales is quite a social job, but while you are at work you are there to sell, not read the paper, make personal calls, and talk to mates. We are lucky enough to be able to actually do all these things and more at work, but when there are customers in the shop they are your first priority.
Good points.
If we want excellent service,the first thing we need to do is let business proprietors know which of their employees are useless pricks.
I'm sure most will thank you,There can't be many that actually want to lose business.

grego
4th February 2006, 23:11
First, I'm new here, so hi to everyone. Anyway, .......... purchase my bike from Mordor itself ?

I bought my ER 6 from Masterton Motorcycles and they gave me a good price for my GS 500. Ring Chris, a couple of weeks back he still had a silver and a black one. The yellow one 's gone, I've got it.

Motorad stinks, they nearly killed me sending me on a testdrive with seriously underinflated tyres.

mstriumph
5th February 2006, 00:51
First, I'm new here, so hi to everyone.................. purchase my bike from Mordor itself ?
are you a girl mebbe? i went into MANY retailers [documented elsewhere on this site] with $15K to spend .............. and got DISrespected WHOLESALE :mad:

Colapop
5th February 2006, 07:25
I was walking past a car yard (Toyota - Kent tce, Wellington) and a salesman actually stood in front of me to get my attention! He said he'd noticed me looking at the vehicles on my way past and if I was interested. (not at their prices!) I asked if he had any trade in vehicles ie. Hilux. What struck me as funny and made me lauff out loud was the way he started rubbing his hands together in anticipation!! It was so streotypically "UsedCarSalesmanesque!!" I told him not to bother then walked off laffing my nuts off :rofl: :rofl:

onearmedbandit
5th February 2006, 08:59
What struck me as funny and made me lauff out loud was the way he started rubbing his hands together in anticipation!! It was so streotypically "UsedCarSalesmanesque!!" I told him not to bother then walked off laffing my nuts off :rofl: :rofl:

Thankfully I've only got the use of one arm so I can't do that any longer.

pritch
5th February 2006, 09:24
I might get in contact with that Palmerston North crowd in a month or two when I will be buying.

I don't want to be unduly picky but in the first post you are in the shop with $10,000 to spend, now you will be buying in a month or two, or three, or?

I'm not excusing slack salesmen but they do get lots of long conversations which, when the "buyer" is asked when he is planning on buying, end with "When I get a job", or "When I win Lotto".

Burger
5th February 2006, 09:32
I don't want to be unduly picky but in the first post you are in the shop with $10,000 to spend, now you will be buying in a month or two, or three, or?

I'm not excusing slack salesmen but they do get lots of long conversations which, when the "buyer" is asked when he is planning on buying, end with "When I get a job", or "When I win Lotto".

The fact is, I'm going to get a new bike in rougly two months. Thats not a maybe, or if I win lotto.

I doubt it will be from those guys however, they blew it. I indicated nothing but serious interest.

boris
5th February 2006, 09:51
levin motorcycle sells er6 kawasaki as well. i when a few months back to just ask how much they will be, and he when out back and got his press kit to show me. Very helpful man. also he races quads in the race to the sky down queens town. Talked to him about that. he then started up a Kawasaki 700cc quad that they had warmed up a bit, sounded better than my now sold SV650. try them , closer than Palmerston north.

onearmedbandit
5th February 2006, 10:47
Did you tell the salesman you'd be buying in a couple of months?

Burger
5th February 2006, 10:49
Yes, I wasn't out to trick anyone.

bondagebunny
5th February 2006, 10:58
my experiance at a P North HD dealer was he sat in sun and ate his lunch and ignored me, sales manager sat behind desk and ignored me - I brought a 30,000 grand bike else where - because i walked in door and someone acknowledged me straight away with "do you want some help", I have brought 3 HDs of the same dude now over a period f years- you have the answer in your hands - dont buy off that dude - or shop.

Colapop
5th February 2006, 11:23
Thankfully I've only got the use of one arm so I can't do that any longer.
I'd pay to see ya try it then!! What do you do instead? Rub your nuts?? :blink:

onearmedbandit
5th February 2006, 11:24
Ahhh, even though I expect my sales team to deal with everyone as a buyer, there are some occassions where even the best sales people will lose interest. And unfortunately "I'm buying in a couple of months" is one of those times. The best salespeople will push for a sale today or if there is no chance of that either make an appointment time and date and get their number off them. But when you walk out that door with no committment other than "I'll be back" you are a free agent who could buy from anywhere at any time. Also we hear this sort of comment from people who want to test drive/ride today but won't be buying for a couple of months. There is actually very little point investing too much time into this sort of situation other than as I said above getting their name and number, putting a date in your diary and keeping in contact with them. And then when you do ring you are seen as the 'pushy' salesman, which can actually end up losing you the deal. Very difficult situation.

However, all this aside you, the customer, left the dealership with a sour taste in your mouth so there is a problem, either in the way you were dealt with or the way you perceived you were dealt with. Either way the salespeople didn't perform as I would expect, which is to ensure the client leaves with a smile on their face knowing most or all of their questions/concerns/etc were addressed properly.

onearmedbandit
5th February 2006, 11:30
I'd pay to see ya try it then!! What do you do instead? Rub your nuts?? :blink:

Occassionally I will sign up some clients when I've given my F&I manager a weekend off. Now I love my job, I love the satisfaction I get when we turn someone around from "only looking mate" to buying a car that they love. The customer turns from "wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire" to almost asking if you want to come around for dinner that night. And with that satisfaction I can feel a smile creeping onto my face, I actually have to think about what I'm doing and how the customer may perceive that smile.

Colapop
5th February 2006, 11:35
I love selling but it's really good when the customer buys something that they really wanted/needed (bigger car for a bigger family) and you've actually helped them rather than sold to them, that's satisfying. Incidentally we've just purchased a new (2nd hand) vehicle and I would like to take this opportunity to thank OAB publicly. Thanks mate for your advice, helped a bunch.
Col

onearmedbandit
5th February 2006, 11:47
Exactly, selling is not hard at all when you have the right product. I try explaining that to clients when I get involved, we're not actually here to force you into buying a car but help you find your next vehicle. At the end of the day we do not expect 100% hit rate, we know that sometimes we do not have the product required (although we will endeavour to find it). However I do expect my sales team to show other options, not to force them into buying something else but to make them aware of other vehicles that may suit their needs. I've seen and dealt with clients that have come in to buy a manual 2.0 sedan yet happily drive out in an auto 3.0 v6 stationwagon, thanking us for showing them something else and genuinely being excited about their purchase. And then they recommend their friends and family to our business, now that makes you feel good about the job you're doing.

Colapop, no problem mate. Glad you've been able to wade through the sharks out there and find the right car for you and your family.

Colapop
5th February 2006, 11:51
Selling is easy - It's service that's hard. Unless you actually mean what you say ....

Colapop
5th February 2006, 20:55
Burger - just ask Kendog about Motomail;

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=500131#post500131

He seems pretty happy.

Kendog
6th February 2006, 03:33
Burger - just ask Kendog about Motomail;

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=500131#post500131

He seems pretty happy.

Very very happy :2thumbsup

R1madness
6th February 2006, 08:36
Hey guys, It seems like everyone hates dealing with the big shops because noone there wants to help. There is a solution.

I have been importing used bikes for years on the quiet. I dont usually advertise the fact but i can get just about anything people want. The only downfall is that if its something i dont have on the way already there is a delay of up to 8 -10 weeks while i find one and get it shipped. I offer a 100% customer satisfaction guarentee on all my imports. If it arrives and is not exactly as it has been described there is no pressure to purchase and i will fully refund any deposit paid.
I do not have a shop, i do all my dealings from a 4 car garage (to keep my costs down so you get a better deal) but i am looking to set up a wharehouse here.
If you are serious about buying and want a good bike at a great price with excellent custiomer service give me a call.
Ian 021 1876987 or 03 9816399