PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about metric and imperial cruisers

thehollowmen
5th February 2006, 14:22
I saw a Suzuki Boulevard at the rally today, and it struck me: Suzuki just rebranded their entire cruiser line in cubic inches.

S40 (the 650 cc savage), C50T (800 cc tourer) S50, M50, S83 (Suzuki intruder 1400cc), C90T and the new M109R

Now, are these "metric" cruisers, imperial (non-metric) cruisers or both (since engine size is imperial but all the bolts are likely to be metric)?

DingDong
5th February 2006, 14:45
Metric propoganda for yanks and Harley riders

limbimtimwim
5th February 2006, 15:29
I think you should add another poll option:

UGLY

Cookie
5th February 2006, 15:31
The single cylinder one is iffy but I like the look of most of the range. They are metric for certain though.

Scouse
5th February 2006, 15:47
I saw a Suzuki Boulevard at the rally today, and it struck me: Suzuki just rebranded their entire cruiser line in cubic inches.

S40 (the 650 cc savage), C50T (800 cc tourer) S50, M50, S83 (Suzuki intruder 1400cc), C90T and the new M109R

Now, are these "metric" cruisers, imperial (non-metric) cruisers or both (since engine size is imperial but all the bolts are likely to be metric)?
Who gives a fuck realy if I was into that sort of thing whitch I'm not Id get a Harley as all the other ones are just for wannabe's

Cookie
5th February 2006, 16:00
And Kawasaki ZRX1200R's are for...?

Each to their own mate. :lol:

Scouse
5th February 2006, 16:03
And kawasaki ZRX1200R's are for....

Each to their own mate. :lol:
People that dont want to get sore wrists from riding in a racer position you got a problem with that...?

thehollowmen
5th February 2006, 16:19
Who gives a fuck realy if I was into that sort of thing whitch I'm not Id get a Harley as all the other ones are just for wannabe's

ppfft harleys are just indian wannabes :Pokey:

I'm just curious as to where the imperial or metric terms really apply to such cruisers. Not gonna buy one, but it did make me think all philisophical-like while drinking.

Cookie
5th February 2006, 16:22
People that dont want to get sore wrists from riding in a racer position you got a problem with that...?

No problem at all, but have you got a problem with people who ride metric cruisers?

What I meant by "Each to their own" is that each person will buy a bike they:

1. Like the look of.
2. Can afford, and if applicable,
3. What the missus/mister will let them afford.

Notice when someone questions your choice of bike, a sort of defensiveness can kick in - like you might say "You got a problem with that?..." for example.

That's why I follow the school of thought that if it's got two wheels and someone loves it, then that's cool with me. :rockon:

Motu
5th February 2006, 19:29

Nothing has changed,it's just a different method of engine measurement.It's an easy way for Suzuki to cut printing costs - S83...compared to - Intruder 1400...with all the brosures and adds in magazines that all adds up to a fair amount of ink,then there is the branding on the bike.Suzuki are not stupid y'know.

thehollowmen
5th February 2006, 19:33
I hope we don't see the GSX61R any time soon

Virago
5th February 2006, 19:35
It's funny how as soon as someone asks a perfectly rational question about cruisers, you can count down the seconds until a sprotsbike rider will come and piss on the conversation.....:motu:

Interesting question, THM. My interpretation is that the term "Metric Cruiser" was originally given to non-American bikes, as these were normally classified by CC capacity, rather than Cubic Inch.

In my opinion changing the measurement system changes nothing else. The Suzuki Boulevard range are still to my mind "Metric" (Japanese).

Strange situation - I'm guessing that Suzuki are trying to break free of the "Metric" label in the States. But a rose by any other name.....

thehollowmen
5th February 2006, 19:45
My interpretation is that the term "Metric Cruiser" was originally given to non-American bikes, as these were normally classified by CC capacity, rather than Cubic Inch

That's why I think we might have to re-define the term and make the yardstick the spanner set that you get in the toolbox... metric or imperial.

Actually, that's going to be my formal proposal :-P
Lets call them metric because they've got metric tools.

vs04
5th February 2006, 20:28
If you,re not into cruisers then why bother replying to the question.I,ve just spent part of the weekend with 140 non harley riding triumph owners,if you,d like to call them wannabe,s i,d be more than happy to arrange it for you.:motu:

Virago
5th February 2006, 20:37
If you,re not into cruisers then why bother replying to the question.....
Cause he's what I would descibe as a "well-balanced" sprotsbiker - he's got a chip on both shoulders.....

White trash
5th February 2006, 20:46
I reckon they're still metric, trying hard to break into an imperial market.

When I'm big enough for a cruiser, and still can't afford a Harley, I'm gettin' me a Valkyrie.

vs04
5th February 2006, 20:51
Cause he's what I would descibe as a "well-balanced" sprotsbiker - he's got a chip on both shoulders.....
Thats more diplomatic than i would,ve put it.I would say he,s rather level headed, he dribbles from both corners of his mouth at the same time.

Sketchy_Racer
5th February 2006, 21:30
theres nothing wrong with any bike. If you like it great, if you dont Well boo hoo.

shove a cork in it.

Scouse
6th February 2006, 07:00
If you,re not into cruisers then why bother replying to the question.I,ve just spent part of the weekend with 140 non harley riding triumph owners,if you,d like to call them wannabe,s i,d be more than happy to arrange it for you.:motu:
I dont have a problem with Triumph rider's as I am buying a Speed Triple shortly. Wannabe Refers to you clowns on Japanese Imitation Harley's pencil dick

DingDong
6th February 2006, 07:13
...Wannabe Refers to you clowns on Japanese Imitation Harley's pencil dick
LOL nice:headbang: , to vs04... do your own dirty work...

Vagabond
6th February 2006, 07:14
I dont have a problem with Triumph rider's as I am buying a Speed Triple shortly. Wannabe Refers to you clowns on Japanese Imitation Harley's pencil dick
Mate if you couldnt afford to ride your dream bike would you like to be called a pencil dick and a wannabe?
Grow up:clap:

DingDong
6th February 2006, 07:17
Mate if you couldnt afford to ride your dream bike would you like to be called a pencil dick and a wannabe?

Eagerly waiting reply...:corn:

Scouse
6th February 2006, 07:27
vs04 and virago started the pesonal shit up til then it was just about bikes but if vs04 feels like he needs 140 Triumph owners to back him up then he is a pencil dick and a Wannabe. Iv'e never had the problem of not being able to afford the bike that I want at any time but if I did have that problem I still wouldn't buy a half arsed excuse for somting that I aspire to

James Deuce
6th February 2006, 07:29
As others have said it's an attempt to make the US market take their cruisers seriously. I've ridden Harleys, and Metric cruisers, and I really like the Street Rod, the Mean Streak, and the Roadstar Warrior. But if I was going to put a huge chunk of cash down on a cruiser it would have to be a Star Roadliner in Midnight trim. I love that '30s Streamline Moderne look.

Wannabe: Eddie Lawson Z1000 "replica".:Pokey:

Scouse
6th February 2006, 07:38
Wannabe: Eddie Lawson Z1000 "replica".:Pokey:
What ever.....

Vagabond
6th February 2006, 07:38
Eddie Lawson replica's are the superbikes of the past, now ain't that a half-arsed excuse for a modern sprotsbike!

Scouse
6th February 2006, 07:40
Eddie Lawson replica's are the superbikes of the past, now ain't that a half-arsed excuse for a modern sprotsbike!

You sound like a parrot on Jim2's sholder

Vagabond
6th February 2006, 07:43
I guess I'm aspiring to be a sprotsbike rider!

Virago
6th February 2006, 08:05
But you said everything that wasn't a Harley was a wannabe. Why would you buy a Triumph? Oh dear.

Look, if you don't like Jap cruisers, don't bother replying to a thread like this. Go and piss on someone else's conversation. Better still, grow up.

R1madness
6th February 2006, 09:31
Not all sport bikers dislike cruisers. I have had pleanty of both. I like talking to the chaps/chapesses about their rides. Cruiser riders do it slow but they see more than the rest of us do.

Pixie
6th February 2006, 10:29
Nobody,least of all the Japanese, would be stupid enough to go back to nonmetric fasteners.
The yanks are the only ones who haven't changed.They don't even understand decimal fractions-a typical price on a gas station sign would be $1.98 5/10c
Which is stupid because they have been using decimal currency since the revolution.

Jackrat
6th February 2006, 10:53
Nobody,least of all the Japanese, would be stupid enough to go back to nonmetric fasteners.
The yanks are the only ones who haven't changed.They don't even understand decimal fractions-a typical price on a gas station sign would be $1.98 5/10c
Which is stupid because they have been using decimal currency since the revolution.

I thought there was three popular sizes, metric just being the one we're most familar with.I know I have three sets of tools for my collection of things that need em'.
But,,5/10c,,,yeah:slap:

vs04
6th February 2006, 10:55
vs04 and virago started the pesonal shit up til then it was just about bikes but if vs04 feels like he needs 140 Triumph owners to back him up then he is a pencil dick and a Wannabe. Iv'e never had the problem of not being able to afford the bike that I want at any time but if I did have that problem I still wouldn't buy a half arsed excuse for somting that I aspire to
I didn,t start with the wannabe shit you did.I guess you ride the bike you ride because it suits your style of riding,just like i ride a cruiser because it suits my style of riding and the,re cheaper than a harley,so why does that make me a wannabe,a wannabe what for shits sake.I,m sure there,s plenty of guys on this cruiser side of the forum that would think you,re an arron slight wannabe but nobody says it because they respect your decision on the type of bike you own,how about respecting ours.I dont understand why i need 140 triumph owners to back me up,back me up for what.If you want to call people who dont ride harleys wannabes, then i know of a fairly large group of people that you can say it to if that is what you believe.I would suggest that if you,ve got nothing constuctive to contribute to this side of the forum then maybe it would be better for all that have if you took your opinions somewhere else.There, i said all that and didn,t even call you names.

Jackrat
6th February 2006, 10:57
Not all sport bikers dislike cruisers. I have had pleanty of both. I like talking to the chaps/chapesses about their rides. Cruiser riders do it slow but they see more than the rest of us do.

Hell ya' said that right,I've been riding with a loose knit group of riders resently that ride anything and everything.
About the only place I hear these tired old arguments now days is on KB.
Well done people:clap:

vs04
6th February 2006, 11:00
LOL nice:headbang: , to vs04... do your own dirty work...
What dirty work would that be exactly.Go back and read again.

vs04
6th February 2006, 11:17
Hell ya' said that right,I've been riding with a loose knit group of riders resently that ride anything and everything.
About the only place I hear these tired old arguments now days is on KB.
Well done people:clap:
You,re right mate,it is a tired argument,it,s just a shame some people find it difficult to respect another persons decision to which or whatever bike they own without getting all steamed up about it.But it makes for a healthy debate thats for sure.:2thumbsup

metric
6th February 2006, 11:23
haha

saw my handle... couldn't resist

got no idea re: the poll tho

;]

Meanie
6th February 2006, 11:55
Harley,s are extremley overated :Punk:

Meanie
6th February 2006, 12:07
I ride a cruiser but nearly always in the company of the sportsbike riders we have a great time and dont care what each other ride as long as we ride:scooter:

cousa1
6th February 2006, 13:55
I think they are metric as you have to use a metric spanner.

Take H-D's Sportsters XL883 and XL1200 both measured in cc's does that make them a metric crusier?

sheddy
6th February 2006, 14:55
Yep I agree with you other guys, ride what you like and like what you ride.
Zrxer I'm only glad I am not a narrow minded hypocrite like you. I would think it approriate you apologised for your misdirected first reply on the thread. Totally unnecessary. There are some damn fine bikes around, some are American, some are Italian and quite a few are Japanese and I see you have one of the latter.
Its fine to poke fun at other peoples rides and thats part of the game, but to make bold statements like that is bad form. Learn to accept when you have made an error of judgement and bow out diplomatically.:nono: Oh yes and japanese cruisers will always be metric to me.[ and I do like Guzzis even though they sound like each rattle is their last]

Hitcher
6th February 2006, 15:37

This is a phenomenally stupid wank exercise. Somebody at Suzuki lost the plot hugely and decided that they had to have a "range" of cruisers. What was wrong with individual names for each model? And of course they're metric.

Jackrat
6th February 2006, 15:56
This is a phenomenally stupid wank exercise. Somebody at Suzuki lost the plot hugely and decided that they had to have a "range" of cruisers. What was wrong with individual names for each model? And of course they're metric.

For a start some of the names were pretty stupid.
Intruder,Savage,Volusia.
An "Intruder" just has to be the dodgiest names for a bike ever.I bet that name alone cost them sales.There's never been anything savage about the Savage and WTF is a Volusia.OK it's a beach in some country somewhere but it sure means NOTHING to anybody outside the place.
The cubic inch designation actualy does have a meaning people can understand and relate to.
"Intruder":buggerd: :killingme

Motu
6th February 2006, 16:12
So do Triumph make Whitworth Cruisers?....

thehollowmen
6th February 2006, 17:00
I think they are metric as you have to use a metric spanner.

Take H-D's Sportsters XL883 and XL1200 both measured in cc's does that make them a metric crusier?

I took this up with a classic harley davidson owner and he said they were :-o

Waylander
6th February 2006, 17:19
Odd that a good number of harley riders are doctors, lawyers and other assorted rich jerks with press on tattoos and false beards trying for that bad boy image and us metric cruiser riders are the ones classed as wannabes....

As for the new badging and names I suspect it is just as others have said. Something to make them more apealing to those that are interested in harleys but not the money to own one. Same reason Yamaha has moved all it's cruisers under the Star Motorcycle franchise and they are now made in the states.

vs04
6th February 2006, 17:36
I,m still trying to figure out what qualifys this guy to call jap cruiser riders wannabes.Does he know all of us personally to make that assumption?no he makes that assumption by the bikes that we ride.Sad really,that sum people are so narrow minded.

Ixion
6th February 2006, 17:54
So do Triumph make Whitworth Cruisers?....

Atually, I doubt Harley's are Imperial. They would be Yank spanner sizes, SAE. Imperial would be Whitworth, BSF .

A lot of the threads on the Meridan Triumphs were a strange thread BSC, British Standard Cycle I think. Same spanner sizes as Whitworth, but a finer thread than even BSF.

Motu
6th February 2006, 20:03
I think it a bit strange when the Yanks talk about Imperial - it's so Bwitish,and I thought they had a revolution together at some stage....they should be AF cruisers - Across the Flats...

For you young fullas,back during the Whitworth/American Fine Wars,a compromise was finaly reached by the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) which saw new thread forms arise from the ashes (not surprisingly they were based on the American threads) called UNF (Unified National Fine) and UNC (Unified National Coarse) commonly called the SAE threads...there was still some reference to AF,but because the spanner size was measured Across the Flats,AF was mutated to mean across the flats.

R1madness
6th February 2006, 20:34
Man your wierd. Are you a fitter?????

terbang
6th February 2006, 21:08
You could use it as a metric boat mooring..?

Virago
6th February 2006, 21:46
You could use it as a metric boat mooring..?
I think there's still a few more cruiser threads that you still haven't posted this comment in......:tugger:

vs04
7th February 2006, 06:17
I think there's still a few more cruiser threads that you still haven't posted this comment in......:tugger:
I think this thread has run it,s course.It was fun though:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Scouse
7th February 2006, 19:04
Zrxer I'm only glad I am not a narrow minded hypocrite like you. I would think it approriate you apologised for your misdirected first reply on the thread.
Oh ok then sorry if I offeneded the Gay community

vs04
7th February 2006, 19:37
Are you haveing doubts about your sexuallity zrxer? You seem to be quite often.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

vs04
7th February 2006, 20:03
Are you haveing doubts about your sexuallity zrxer? You seem to be quite often.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Oops made a mistake, put the word here between BE and QUITE.Now i really must go, i,ve just washed my hair and can,t seem to do a thing with it.:buggerd: :rofl:

Vagabond
8th February 2006, 19:53
:blah: What i'd like to know is do people like you belong to a secret sect or club or have you read some obscure book?

That says if you wannabe a motorcyclist it's gottab a Harley

But that onlycomes into effect if it's a criuser!

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

vs04
8th February 2006, 20:21
Hey vagabond.Yeah, he,s got me scratching my head also mate.By the way how do you find the stock bars on the s83 as far as handling and comfort go.:Punk:

Vagabond
9th February 2006, 19:42
Hey vagabond.Yeah, he,s got me scratching my head also mate.By the way how do you find the stock bars on the s83 as far as handling and comfort go.:Punk:
I think this was covered in another thread, but I find them pretty comfortable although i think being short and skinny helps. As far as handling goes well it's my first cruiser so I guess I just put all handling questions into "oh well it's a cruiser" live with it or lump it!
With the rake on these babys I wasn't expecting to corner with my knee down anyways. Have put it down so hard in certain bends that it's lifted the front wheel off the ground.

I'm happy and thats all that counts!

Oh and I'm an induvidual that can make his own mind up his own mind about what type of motorcycle he wants to ride:ride:

Waylander
10th February 2006, 17:51
As far as handling goes well it's my first cruiser so I guess I just put all handling questions into "oh well it's a cruiser" live with it or lump it!

Lol you should ride with me and Slashwylde sometime. Show you just how well a cruiser can handle.