PDA

View Full Version : For those who dont wear protective gear -

Shade
28th March 2004, 18:02
Found this thread on my travels around the internet -

http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=50262&perpage=30&pagenumber=1

One hell of a touching / crazy story. Really opens your eyes up to some crazy stuff that we put on the line everytime we jump on the bike.

Have a read through the thread, the original poster 'Eric' posts a few times with updates, well worth a read.

Stay safe!

erik
28th March 2004, 21:30
As if the high number of local crashes in the last few weeks weren't disturbing enough...

:puke:

Two Smoker
28th March 2004, 21:45
Fucking Hell, if i was that guy i would want to be dead.... Makes me glad i wear nothing less than FULL protection, for those who don't wear gear (i know this is goin to piss some people off) but take a page out of this guys book and buy full gear....

Whats your life worth???? Saving the dollars and losing your life or spending $1500-$2000 and saving your life???

jrandom
28th March 2004, 22:09
Hell. Hundred bucks or so on a decent pair of armoured gloves and all his 'mangled hand' worries would never have existed.

Fool.

And yes, he *is* lucky. At least he was wearing a helmet; it sounds like he completely escaped any head or spinal injuries. I'd rather have mangled hands than be fed mince from a spoon while I drool on my bib and stare vacantly at Coronation Street reruns from my wheelchair for the rest of a short, unhappy and cognitively impaired life.

We're all gonna fall off at some point, just manage the risk and wear the gear, folks.

Andrew
28th March 2004, 22:11
This is sad and emotional. He got a prayer from me at least.

georgedubyabush
28th March 2004, 22:42
No gear and yet he has crashed a few times before... on his way back to put on his leathers? So so cruel.

Lou Girardin
29th March 2004, 06:44
Darwin will not be denied.
Lou

Jackrat
29th March 2004, 09:44
Hell. Hundred bucks or so on a decent pair of armoured gloves and all his 'mangled hand' worries would never have existed.

Fool.

And yes, he *is* lucky. At least he was wearing a helmet; it sounds like he completely escaped any head or spinal injuries. I'd rather have mangled hands than be fed mince from a spoon while I drool on my bib and stare vacantly at Coronation Street reruns from my wheelchair for the rest of a short, unhappy and cognitively impaired life.

We're all gonna fall off at some point, just manage the risk and wear the gear, folks.

I feel for the guy,But not wearing gloves,hell were does that come from.
When I had my big get off both my gloves were turned inside out up to the base of the fingers.I had quite I bit of light damage to the top of my hands but what ever turned the gloves inside out would of done a hell of a lot more damage if not for the gloves being there to take most of the damage.
Sounds like this guy wears leathers for comfort not protection,his statment about understanding why some guys don,t want to wear helmets is bloody stupid,in my case my helmet saved my life and even the last fifteen years of living on pain killers,puting up with a failed operation ect, ect, is better than being dead.Yeah I feel for the Guy but I think Lou said it all.

Wenier
29th March 2004, 10:03
Mate that would suck and hurt. Im amazed he didnt die from blood lose or something like that

riffer
29th March 2004, 10:49
In the cage on Friday morning with wife and rugrats, stuck at Melling Bridge lights going north, we saw a guy dressed in blue overalls with a tatty helmet, workboots, and no gloves, riding a GS500 (I think), turn left going south to go over the Melling bridge.

As he started to go over the bridge he clutched up a huge wheelie, and mono'd over the Melling bridge.

My wife turns to me and says "I suppose you think that's cool do you?"

I did the right thing of course and told her how stupid he was to not have protective gear on...

moko
4th April 2004, 14:15
Being a "veteran biker",i.e. old fart I wear as little protective gear as possible,reason being I dont like feeling like a trussed chicken.I wear helmet gloves, and as little as possible else.I`ve been riding for nearly 30 years in this country`s manic traffic conditions,25000 k`s equiv road use per year and I aint going to change now.I dont F**k about and regularly hit 270+KPH,unless you`re into bondage why bother with all that crap?

wkid_one
4th April 2004, 16:50
Apparently one of the worst injuries to experience is a busted knuckle - apparent no pleasant at all!

Hitcher
4th April 2004, 17:51
This all makes my bee sting on the neck today look a bit tame by comparison... (It REALLY hurt though...)

mangell6
4th April 2004, 17:51
Really affected me when playing spacies, now we have mice.

spudchucka
4th April 2004, 23:29
Although its a very sad story its good to hear stories like this because everyone needs a reminder now and again about how fragile human beings are.

I sometimes think that drivers who have caused accidents would be better punished by having to attend serious and fatal accidents and see the aftermath in the mortuary. They should see the open chest wounds caused by steering columns, feel the broken ends of bone rubbing together as they remove the clothing and personal effects from the dead ones, see the chared remains from a fatal car fire and wonder if what they are looking at was actually once human, scoop up the brains off the side walk that flew 20 feet from the accident scene and then go and face the families of the ones they killed. That would be more like justice in my book.

Apologies for the rant!

matthewt
4th April 2004, 23:35
Apparently one of the worst injuries to experience is a busted knuckle - apparent no pleasant at all!

A broken tailbone rates pretty highly as well by all accounts. Try sitting or lying down without upsetting that !!

Kwaka-Kid
4th April 2004, 23:51
oucch, nasty nasty... However i still hold my view, call me KK, call me poor, just call me a plain old idiot if you feel but how far is too far? when it comes to protection etc like that? we risk our lives daily doing all sorts of things, e.g changing lightbulbs or some random stuff like that, and its just like i have a life, i need some convienience in order to run it smoothly, so i wear jeans on my bike and yeah ocasionally sandshoes i.e like last night when i went to a 21st, it was nearly the only way to do it and carry little doing all the things i had to do and still carry a few dozen beers in a backpack/down jacket... And just as you Ride to the conditions of the road, i ride to the conditions of my gear too! if its wet, you take it easy, if im in jeans and sandshoes, i take it easy. i really hate to be the only one taking this tone and feel like a wank doing it in this thread and none-the-less i still feel for this guy and would recommend good gear to anyone, but i am happy doing things the way i do, i feel you in your leathers have more chance riding on a stormy day in i do in my jeans on a warm day etc, so yeah, where does the madness in wrapping ourselves up in cotton wool end? perhaps that shouldnt be just a saying! you know cotton wool would save some of you better then leathers when you bang into a car/post. -something to think about anyways, as always KK taking the different approach :D

Jackrat
5th April 2004, 10:06
Yeah I agree,I think these full armour,full leathers,full face helmet and dark Visor to hide behind types,would be better off getting a job with ACC.
Like I already said,I feel for the guy.Feel he was a fucking dick head that is.I mean come on,he saw the car coming from three fucking lanes away an still got wiped out.I also do what I'm comfortable with as far as protective gear goes.I just don't talk about it a lot because there is always somebody whose sister is a nurse or some other bullshit.just waiting their chance to wave their finger at you and get their daily dose of "Hollier than tho"
Things like gloves,helmet,boots are just everyday common sence.
Iv'e had people that have been riding two-three years tell me,You'll be sorry.
Funny thing is after thirty odd years riding "My way" the only thing i'm sorry about,is meeting these safty freaks in the first place.
The guy in question would of be better off responding to the obvious threat approaching from behind rather than blaming his injurys on the gear he was wearing.Which ever way you look at it,Lou was right,Darwin was going to get that guy sooner or later.And what a whinger,Christ I wonder if he was in Vietnam as well.

James Deuce
5th April 2004, 10:25
When I had my big get off both my gloves were turned inside out up to the base of the fingers.I had quite I bit of light damage to the top of my hands but what ever turned the gloves inside out would of done a hell of a lot more damage if not for the gloves being there to take most of the damage.
Sounds like this guy wears leathers for comfort not protection,his statment about understanding why some guys don,t want to wear helmets is bloody stupid,in my case my helmet saved my life and even the last fifteen years of living on pain killers,puting up with a failed operation ect, ect, is better than being dead.Yeah I feel for the Guy but I think Lou said it all.

My wife has looked after two people in hospital, on separate occasions, who have had their hands "degloved" i.e All the skin on their hands peeled off on both sides, because they weren't wearing gloves when they had their motorcycle accident.

Hitcher
5th April 2004, 11:45
When wandering round town as I do, I frequently find myself yelling after ungloved motorcyclists (and scooterists) "Put some gloves on, you Bogan!" Other pedestrians treat me with bemusement and Bogan's appear to be deaf...

SPman
5th April 2004, 12:11
I sometimes think that drivers who have caused accidents would be better punished by having to attend serious and fatal accidents and see the aftermath in the mortuary. They should see the open chest wounds caused by steering columns, feel the broken ends of bone rubbing together as they remove the clothing and personal effects from the dead ones, see the chared remains from a fatal car fire and wonder if what they are looking at was actually once human, scoop up the brains off the side walk that flew 20 feet from the accident scene and then go and face the families of the ones they killed. That would be more like justice in my book.

Apologies for the rant! No apologies required.
I often think it would be far better having people face the consequences of their actions - in all aspects of life, than going through all the wasted time and expense of fines, jail etc.(well, a lot of the time.) I'm sure it would have more lasting affect.
And people wonder why emergency service attendants get het up about crazy drivers....?
Saying that, life is always a balancing act and we should be allowed to balance it the way that suits us.As long as we have all the information at hand, it is up to the individual to then decide what and how he is going to run his life and that applies to protective gear on bikes. Balancing the risk as you see it applying to you.

aff-man
5th April 2004, 12:37
Well i think the guy was real lucky and must have had heaps of adrenaline rushing through his body for him to stand up and yell for help. As to gear well i'm kinda divided. When going to tech every morning i wear the usual helmet, gloves,bike boots, synthetic jacket with armour or leather jacket. But when riding i put the synthetic pants on which have pads and i wear a leather jacket with armour underneath. I am glad i do cause when i had my off the knee are on my riding pants were ripped to shreds and i wouldn't have liked to see my knee if i had been wearing jeans. :no:

RiderInBlack
5th April 2004, 12:44
Sorry guys, I feel for the guy, but if you are going to ride a open vehicle without at least covering your skin, your a mobile skin graft (even at 50KPM) to me (I've work as an orthopaedic nurse). Just think of any time you fell of a push-bike as a child and grazed yourself. Now muiltiply the damage by the speed!
Have had 2 falls off a MC at low speeds with helmet, gloves, jeans, and old jackets. Both would have been worse without any of those, but also would have been better with proper protection. I do not now ride without full leathers with armor (thinking about getting Draggon Jeans for Summer riding), helmet and gloves.
Rider skill is important, but that does not protect you from all that can happen with all the f*cken idiots sharing the road with you.
Like I tell people:
"You have to ride a bike like every f*cken idiot on the road with you is going to do sometime really stupid at anytime. Most important thing to remember is that you are also one of the most dangerous idots that you share the road with!"
Trouble is alot of us think we are better riders/drivers than we are, and are to quick to blame others for what happens to us on the road.
Don't get me wrong, I still do stupid things when I am on the road, but I'll know who is to blame when it all goes wrong. I've made that choice as soon as I hop in a vehicle (it's all God's fault:finger: NOT).

Coldkiwi
5th April 2004, 12:52
I agree with Spudchuckers suggestion. Make the consequences real to offenders and if they've got any chance of rehabilitation through changing their perspective, that will reach it. If they're really that cold and heartless not to be moved by what they've done to the lives of others then by all means, lock them away.

For those that don't wear all they can, do you not expect to potentially be ina position where you could come off? if not, why bother with anything? if so, why not prepare for the worst?

KK, I know its not that convenient to have all your gear when going somewhere ( I have no car so I'm often off to social engagements on the bike). But after a while you get used to it and just start finding clever places to stash your gear (mates cars, obscure corners). Jeans take up no room and you can bungee cord a pair of shoes to the back of your pack and still have room for beers inside.. although why'd you'd be riding somewhere armed with a dozen beers is slightly concerning unless you've packed your Pj's too!! Honestly dude, I know its a hassle but its gotta be worth it. besides, insults are like water off a ducks back to you so any grief you get from friends would be barely noticed! I can do it and you're much thicker skinned than me :)

moko: 'scuse my audacity as a trussed chicken but 'I've always done it this way' is not always a sign of wisdom.

James Deuce
5th April 2004, 13:12
I agree with Spudchuckers suggestion. Make the consequences real to offenders and if they've got any chance of rehabilitation through changing their perspective, that will reach it. If they're really that cold and heartless not to be moved by what they've done to the lives of others then by all means, lock them away.

I have actually found people to be that heartless and cold. Their mind set tells them that because it was on the road it was an accident, therefore they are not personally responsible. Even when found guilty in court because punishment is so minor for Road Traffic Offences.

The bloke that broke my neck and back came in to the Hospital where I was strapped to a board and told me it was my fault for riding a motorbike.

My Brother-In-Law was run over on the footpath outside St Pat's Silverstream where he was boarding and almost killed. The Business man that did it was DIC and blamed the whole incident on his disintegrating relationship with his wife. He was allowed to appeal his DIC conviction and dangerous driving causing injury charges on the advicce of counsel, and he got a suspended sentence because he was "under stress". The brother in law lost 3 months of his life because of his head injury and went from an A student to a C.

I think that it is a pipe dream to rely on the essential nature of compassion and "humanity" in others. Most people live a small life and care not one whit for the repercussions of their actions or stupidity, so long as it doesn't affect them in an immediate sense.

I wish I could believe that Spudchuka's idea would work.

RiderInBlack
5th April 2004, 14:35
KK, I know its not that convenient to have all your gear when going somewhere ( I have no car so I'm often off to social engagements on the bike). But after a while you get used to it and just start finding clever places to stash your gear (mates cars, obscure corners). Jeans take up no room and you can bungee cord a pair of shoes to the back of your pack.
I used the bike all last year as my only form of transport. Never found it a hassle to find room for party clothes (usually wear them under the full bike jacket). My bike boots doubled as dance shoes (just slipped the legs of my jeans over them). Usually organised a bed close to the party or took the tent (or arrived in a taxi). I found this was better than driving a "can" to a party as I was not tempted to ride/drive after drinking. This allowed me to really relax and enjoy the party.:beer: :niceone:

Two Smoker
5th April 2004, 15:18
I agree with Spudchucker, and if that fails, they need a good arse kicking....:ar15:

Common KK ive seen those holes in your jeans.... :whistle: hehehe

Lou Girardin
5th April 2004, 20:15
You're dead right, Jim2. An arsehole car salesman did a U turn and bowled my brother on Bond St. When I went to get his insurance details, he carried on like nearly killing someone wasn't his problem. His karma caught up to him though, he had a stroke a month later. Shame it wasn't terminal.
Lou

spudchucka
5th April 2004, 22:49
No apologies required.
I often think it would be far better having people face the consequences of their actions - in all aspects of life, than going through all the wasted time and expense of fines, jail etc.(well, a lot of the time.) I'm sure it would have more lasting affect.
And people wonder why emergency service attendants get het up about crazy drivers....?
Saying that, life is always a balancing act and we should be allowed to balance it the way that suits us.As long as we have all the information at hand, it is up to the individual to then decide what and how he is going to run his life and that applies to protective gear on bikes. Balancing the risk as you see it applying to you.
Life is about choices. Some people make good choices, some people make bad choices. I just hope the ones that make the bad choices stay away from me and my family.

spudchucka
5th April 2004, 22:50
I have actually found people to be that heartless and cold. Their mind set tells them that because it was on the road it was an accident, therefore they are not personally responsible. Even when found guilty in court because punishment is so minor for Road Traffic Offences.

The bloke that broke my neck and back came in to the Hospital where I was strapped to a board and told me it was my fault for riding a motorbike.

My Brother-In-Law was run over on the footpath outside St Pat's Silverstream where he was boarding and almost killed. The Business man that did it was DIC and blamed the whole incident on his disintegrating relationship with his wife. He was allowed to appeal his DIC conviction and dangerous driving causing injury charges on the advicce of counsel, and he got a suspended sentence because he was "under stress". The brother in law lost 3 months of his life because of his head injury and went from an A student to a C.

I think that it is a pipe dream to rely on the essential nature of compassion and "humanity" in others. Most people live a small life and care not one whit for the repercussions of their actions or stupidity, so long as it doesn't affect them in an immediate sense.

I wish I could believe that Spudchuka's idea would work.
You are right, some people are that cold and heartless and then they go to Court and are defended by heartless lawyers and sentenced by gutless judges.

Yamahamaman
5th April 2004, 23:13
Most people live a small life and care not one whit for the repercussions of their actions or stupidity, so long as it doesn't affect them in an immediate sense.

I believe you have summed it up in a nutshell. And that, I believe, is the biggest problem of the transport infrastructure in Auckland.

SPman
5th April 2004, 23:33
And that, I believe, is the biggest problem of the transport infrastructure in Auckland.
Wow, thats a sideways jump in topic!:D

jrandom
5th April 2004, 23:38
And that, I believe, is the biggest problem of the transport infrastructure in Auckland.

What, that people are nasty, small-minded and stupid?

Biggest problem of the world, really. Transport infrastructure is like a tiny hair growing from a wart on a mole on the underside of the problem's left buttock.

Anyway, what would *you* do about it? Shoot 'em all?

How about the biggest problem of Auckland's transport infrastructure being... oooooh... umm... I dunno. Low population density and a flaccid economy? Wouldn't it be nice if we could solve *that* by shooting people. Actually, maybe we can. We just have to shoot the *right* people. :whistle:

Yamahamaman
5th April 2004, 23:44
How about the biggest problem of Auckland's transport infrastructure being... oooooh... umm... I dunno. Low population density and a flaccid economy? Wouldn't it be nice if we could solve *that* by shooting people. Actually, maybe we can. We just have to shoot the *right* people. :whistle:
Try it sometime - you may just loathe it. But seriously, if there weren't so many cage drivers trying to cue jump, the traffic would probably run a whole lot quicker.

Yamahamaman
5th April 2004, 23:47
Wow, thats a sideways jump in topic!:D
You are correct, however, I was only quoting Jim2. Cannot help my impetuosity. Bet that's not in your vocabulary.

jrandom
5th April 2004, 23:49
Cannot help my impetuosity. Bet that's not in your vocabulary.

Bet it is. Don't be such a condescending git.

Yamahamaman
5th April 2004, 23:51
Bet it is. Don't be such a condescending git.
I was actually being patronising!!

jrandom
5th April 2004, 23:53
cue jump

I say, Mr Vocabulary Person, is that what happens when one is too drunk to hit the white ball square on, and takes a divot out of the table surface in the process?

Yamahamaman
5th April 2004, 23:57
I say, Mr Vocabulary Person, is that what happens when one is too drunk to hit the white ball square on, and takes a divot out of the table surface in the process?
Off topic, but you will also find 'cue jumping' at the Warehouse. If it is a battle of wits that you want - I don't compete with the unarmed!!!

jrandom
5th April 2004, 23:57
I was actually being patronising!!

Yawn. Pick a synonym, any synonym, that's right, folks. Walk on up. Go on, it won't bite you. Ooooh, good choice, suits you sir.

jrandom
6th April 2004, 00:00
Off topic, but you will also find 'cue jumping' at the Warehouse.

Ah! Indeed. A novel game, designed to stimulate and raise the moral of employees. Each takes turns jumping over said implement as it is raised higher and higher by a pair of department managers. He who makes the last successful attempt is rewarded with a funnily-branded Korean DVD player.