PDA

View Full Version : Scrambler, Kawhia, RATS and a mint day.

Big Dave
5th February 2006, 22:58
Had a burn on the new Triumph Scrambler today.
Only a short run and a few pics. It had 125ks on the clock so I just nursed it - feels very relaxed and roomy.
Looks a treat.

http://www.triumphnz.co.nz/Sunday_5__02_06/index.htm

Had a perfect day.

Hitcher
6th February 2006, 16:03
Had a squiz at one at ANZA on Sunday. Interesting. But I'm not sure I get what they're supposed to be about. Other than nostalgia. Nobody is seriously going to take one off road. Or ride one any great distance on road.

Motu
6th February 2006, 16:47
I think they are about what bikes used to be about....before you had to have a dirt bike to ride off road,a race rep bike to ride fast on the streets,a cruiser for just cruising around,and a tourer for go someplace a bit further than a day trip.I'd say the Scrambler would be a good alrounder for someone who isn't into head down arse up go fast stuff,more than capable in the twisties and if it turns to gravel,so what?

In fact just like the ride it went on today - some motorway,some secondary roads,some even more remote,and some gravel - exactly what you find in New Zealand.If I had that sort of money to throw around I'd give one some serious thought.

I think I saw the black Tiger coming back as I was heading back south yesterday.

Big Dave
6th February 2006, 17:19
Had a squiz at one at ANZA on Sunday. Interesting. But I'm not sure I get what they're supposed to be about. Other than nostalgia. Nobody is seriously going to take one off road. Or ride one any great distance on road.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

I think it's a lovely looking thing - If you were in the market for a Sportster or maybe a mid size metric cruiser it's a cool alternative.
It would actually tour on the dirt OK. Good riding position. Well balanced.

I'll take it for a decent run during the week. My first impression was it's 15 ponies short of the business. But you can bolt them on pretty easy too.

Look out Steve Mcqueen!

Big Dave
6th February 2006, 17:21
I think I saw the black Tiger coming back as I was heading back south yesterday.

Yeah - agree with all that
and
That would have been lloyd - he lives in the Hunuas

Bonez
6th February 2006, 20:24
Look out Steve Mcqueen!
No fancy high pipes on that sucker.

Motu
6th February 2006, 21:49
Siamese pipe,more bottom end torque...

Bonez
7th February 2006, 05:15
Siamese pipe,more bottom end torque...
So twin high pipes is just talk ha? Reading some old reviews of the set up most owners got fucked of with it in the end. Something about burns on the inside of their legs.

Motu
7th February 2006, 07:34
The twin high pipes need to be one the left,most of the old bikes were used on the flattracks where the pipes are on the inside,they were also popular in the desert in the US,not much use in NZ conditions,so weren't popular over here.My Rickman had twin high pipes down each side and I kept burning my legs on them for street use.The genuine Rickman pipes were a high left and a low right pipe - but I cut them up into TT pipes going under the engine and splaying out in front of the rear wheel.The first photo is the high pipes,next 2 are poor shots but you can see they go under the engine,chrome tips by rear wheel.They were tucked in close and I welded angle iron on to give strngth off road.

Bonez
7th February 2006, 19:13
Nice pics Motu. :2thumbsup

Bonez
7th February 2006, 19:23
Had a squiz at one at ANZA on Sunday. Interesting. But I'm not sure I get what they're supposed to be about. Other than nostalgia. Nobody is seriously going to take one off road. Or ride one any great distance on road.Drop the bars and pipes. I think they'd make an ok road bike.
Speaking of nostalga I stumbled on this -

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.motosclassicas70.com.br/propaganda_Ducati-Scrambler.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.motosclassicas70.com.br/propagandas_4.htm&h=645&w=549&sz=51&tbnid=pnwIFyifYkkJ:&tbnh=135&tbnw=114&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtriumph%2Bscrambler%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D&oi=imagesr&start=1

Paul in NZ
7th February 2006, 20:00
I dunno... Broken record I know but

I've riden this 75,000km and never burnt my leg yet. Kids are the worst, they see the chrome pipes up hi and wanna grab em!

Raced it, rallied it, rocked and rolled it, seized it twice, Now running +80 in the bores but still on a std crank and god knows how many miles it did in the USA before I got it (showed some serious off road type damage). I've owned it over 15 years and it's still sex on wheels.

Engine will be finished soon, I'm about to start painting the tank (lord where does the time go) and I'm thinking Black this time....

Paul in NZ

Bonez
7th February 2006, 20:20
Nice looker alright Paul.