PDA

View Full Version : Biker Baggage?

Zed
28th March 2004, 19:00
I just installed a Ventura rack system on my new bike- always a challenging opportunity to take the rear of the bike to bits, and sometimes frustrating because the instructions are a tad unclear. I have had these racks on my four previous cickles because they are so very practical for my requirements, and when I don't need to transport anything I can simply take off the rack top leaving only the arms remaining on the bike. :niceone:

I'm not one to carry luggage on my back because I don't like the feeling, also at one stage I used a magnetic tank bag but I'm not keen on that idea anymore because they get in the way too much and there is a possibility of the tank getting scratched. :doh:

How do you carry your biker baggage?

Zed

jimbo600
28th March 2004, 19:32
I just installed a Ventura rack system on my new bike- always a challenging opportunity to take the rear of the bike to bits, and sometimes frustrating because the instructions are a tad unclear. I have had these racks on my four previous cickles because they are so very practical for my requirements, and when I don't need to transport anything I can simply take off the rack top leaving only the arms remaining on the bike. :niceone:

I'm not one to carry luggage on my back because I don't like the feeling, also at one stage I used a magnetic tank bag but I'm not keen on that idea anymore because they get in the way too much and there is a possibility of the tank getting scratched. :doh:

Zed

Givi sports panniers. Fit good on the gixxer, don't get in the way and they're expandable so you can stow enough for a camping trip away. Primo

Yamahamaman
28th March 2004, 19:34

Zed
I use the Ventura system. Twin Aero Packs zipped together.

georgedubyabush
28th March 2004, 21:12
Ventura rack and bags. One time my bike blew over against the house, the rack bore the brunt and twisted but bike was undamaged.

SPman
28th March 2004, 23:05
Zed
Like so...
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1426&stc=1

Indiana_Jones
28th March 2004, 23:09

Zed

Baggage?..........WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BAGGAGE!

-Indy

Zed
28th March 2004, 23:21

-Indy
Huh?

I won't say thanks for your input then!

Posh Tourer :P
28th March 2004, 23:31
Like so...
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1426&stc=1

Wouldnt all that weight behind the back axle give you slow speed wobbles in the steering? It would on the Beemer....

matthewt
28th March 2004, 23:37
When I had the F4 I used a tailpack. The tankbag worked fine but it was magnetic and it didnt go well if I had my wallet in my jacket pocket as that was too close to the magnets.

The Brutale has a plastic tank so I might look for another tankbag. Although now I can probably use paniers as the pipes won't be in the way like they were on the F4.

bgd
29th March 2004, 01:40
Having a GS I use BMW panniers and topbox. Topbox is on all the time for the commute, the panniers only for extended trips and the supermarket. Will be leaving the bike at the airport for a couple of weeks so for that I'm using an ortlieb waterproof bag that will be tied on. Less left on the bike the better.

wari
29th March 2004, 01:53
When I had the F4 I used a tailpack. The tankbag worked fine but it was magnetic and it didnt go well if I had my wallet in my jacket pocket as that was too close to the magnets.

The Brutale has a plastic tank so I might look for another tankbag. Although now I can probably use paniers as the pipes won't be in the way like they were on the F4.

Whats that fluffy shit on yer seat ... :spudwhat:

I'm gonna report you to the fur patrol ... :spudwave:

wari
29th March 2004, 02:14

-Indy

:-D ... dontcha mean steenkeeng ?

Lou Girardin
29th March 2004, 06:43
I use 2 Givi 36 litre panniers on a Wingrack system, don't even know they're there.
And a dead sheep on the seat too.
lou

SPman
29th March 2004, 07:36
Wouldnt all that weight behind the back axle give you slow speed wobbles in the steering? It would on the Beemer....
Nope - not that Ive noticed. I dont exactly throw it into corners though - a more measured approach is in order! :cool:
And its only once a year (Cold Kiwi).

White trash
29th March 2004, 07:58
I courier it to somewhere close to where I'm going.

Or get Jimbo750 to carry it on his tourer :rolleyes:

merv
29th March 2004, 08:06
Ventura as you can see in my avatar.

Slim
29th March 2004, 08:40
I've got an older style Ventura rack on my CBR6 with an unbranded bag to fit on it, plus an Oxford Sport expandable magnetic tankbag (which is the dogs danglies!)

:)

matthewt
29th March 2004, 13:03
Whats that fluffy shit on yer seat ... :spudwhat:

I'm gonna report you to the fur patrol ... :spudwave:

Have you ever seen how padded the stock MV seat is ??

I got all sorts of jokes about NZ men needing to have their privates close to sheep from the Yahoo MV owners site when they saw that one.

All I can say is that it was worth it !!

I now need to make up another one for the brutale.

cruzer
29th March 2004, 13:34
Willie and Max Sabblebags!

bungbung
29th March 2004, 13:36
Ventura Twin Aero Packs zipped together (one up)
Big aero pack and tank bag (two up)

Joni
29th March 2004, 15:31
Zed, if I am not going far, I take it on my back in a bag. If its a long route, maybe over 2 hours, there is generally a car going with people I know going too, so send the stuff with them. Normal commuting, if it I cant carry it, it dont go with.

Holy Roller
29th March 2004, 15:33
Geared up for cold kiwi. 2 up with gear not that stable, will be looking at some saddle bags this year to get the COG lower.
I used to have a rack pack untill someone deceided that they had a greater need than I :argh:

F5 Dave
29th March 2004, 15:50
I’ve got an SP same as pictured. I turned up to a Derwent st rally some years back, I’d put a towel over the single seat & ran the front strap of my soft luggage on the seat & the rear one on the tailpiece (along with some fibreglass weave on the pipe to stop any chance of it burning through). Anyways, I turn up & they say
“Oh gidday Dave, travelling a bit light aren’t we?”

“What do you mean I’ve got a tent & beer &. . . Ooopps”
Quick U turn & speed off (on a private closed cct of course). There had been this Looong straight & a bridge ½ way along that had a bit of a bump in it. Being a private closed cct :innocent: I had decided to stretch the cables a bit.

So back along this straight I travel -hoping to find these panniers before someone ran over or souvenired them. Straining eyesight in the distance I see this black mound of decimated nylon with a pool of liquid forming around it. It was hissing loudly from the semi ruptured cans inside & a broken bottle. The cans had some cool gravel rash which was a talking point later that night,
-even my beer is tough. :stoogie:

Still use the same patched panniers, but I always tie them on REAL well these days. A friend says he has some of those camping clips on the panniers & the bike so you can just clip them on easily.

Might trade up to some bigger Givi ones for the touring bike. I looked at some hard luggage but it was so heavy before you put your gear in & needed to sit so far back to avoid the pillion’s feet that it would have to affect the handling adversely.

pete376403
29th March 2004, 16:54
The Exxon Valdez (GS1100Gk, named for the size and the oil leaks) came with the factory tupperware. Large top box, fairly large panniers, coupla storage bins in the fairing. If my one was a nice example it would look like this.

White trash
29th March 2004, 16:58
The Exxon Valdez (GS1100Gk, named for the size and the oil leaks) came with the factory tupperware. Large top box, fairly large panniers, coupla storage bins in the fairing. If my one was a nice example it would look like this.

:eek5: Gotta say, Pete. That is a whole lot of motorcycle! Not my cup of tea obviously but it looks in bloody good nick! How long have you had that?

Reminds of a mate who once asked me to do a wheelie on his Z1300 so he could take a photo of it.

Kickaha
29th March 2004, 17:00
I've always used soft luggage,got a gearsack tankbag,seatbag and saddlebags,only drawback I can see is it's not lockable.

One BMW rider told me he liked the hard Krauser luggage,he said he slid 100m down the road on a set and they didn't break and saved damage to the bike!

pete376403
29th March 2004, 17:05
:eek5: Gotta say, Pete. That is a whole lot of motorcycle! Not my cup of tea obviously but it looks in bloody good nick! How long have you had that?

Reminds of a mate who once asked me to do a wheelie on his Z1300 so he could take a photo of it.

Nooo, I said if my one was nice, this is what it would look like. Mine is not nice. I got this pic from http://www.thegsresources.com/
I bought it in 1990 from Wgtn MC, $3000. It was pretty shabby when I got it and while a frame up resto would be entertaining, it's not a priority. Bits get replaced when they break, mechanically it's sound but appearance wise, its a bit baggy.
In spite of being a shaftie it does wheelie (little ones), and countersteers, too.

White trash
29th March 2004, 17:12
Nooo, I said if my one was nice, this is what it would look like. Mine is not nice. I got this pic from http://www.thegsresources.com/
I bought it in 1990 from Wgtn MC, $3000. It was pretty shabby when I got it and while a frame up resto would be entertaining, it's not a priority. Bits get replaced when they break, mechanically it's sound but appearance wise, its a bit baggy.
In spite of being a shaftie it does wheelie (little ones), and countersteers, too.
:Oops: 'Bout time I started reading the whole post!

Fill that monster top box witha bag of cement and she'll do better than little wheelies my friend! Thats how I got good at 'em on my Dad's XJ900.

Actually, you know Frank V.L? You'd probably know my piss head of an old man!

pete376403
29th March 2004, 17:16
:Oops: 'Bout time I started reading the whole post!

Fill that monster top box witha bag of cement and she'll do better than little wheelies my friend! Thats how I got good at 'em on my Dad's XJ900.

Actually, you know Frank V.L? You'd probably know my piss head of an old man!
Oh yeah, Frank is one of our regulars to the Brass. If he can stay on the SV. Or off the big power things at the substation.
As to your dad, givus a clue..... where would I know him from?

White trash
29th March 2004, 17:24
Oh yeah, Frank is one of our regulars to the Brass. If he can stay on the SV. Or off the big power things at the substation.
As to your dad, givus a clue..... where would I know him from?

Haywards circa '96-97'98. Rode a red and black XJ900 covered in Givi shit. Moved to Christchurch, then London.

Self professed Moto Guzzi freak, you'd know him if you saw him I'm sure.

pete376403
29th March 2004, 17:29
yep, he went down south with us one year. Sorry but I remember the bike better than the rider. One of his friends came along on a Suzi big single (?), traded it in at ChCh on a GS1100G. That would be the "other" Pete from U/H I think.
How well do you know Frank? We usually stop at RVR bar on Thursday night for a snort, about 4:30 ~5:00ish.
Fecking small world, eh? Three degrees of seperation, etc.

erik
29th March 2004, 18:17
For going to uni, I just bungy my backpack to the pillion seat on the Zeal. Just use a 2m or so length of bungy with loops in the ends, there are hook things welded on to the frame under the seat that I can attach the bungy to. It hasn't fallen off yet. :niceone:
I don't really like the idea of having big, heavy, hard textbooks and stuff strapped to my back in case they do me an injury when I fall off.

Zed
29th March 2004, 18:27
Zed, if I am not going far, I take it on my back in a bag. If its a long route, maybe over 2 hours, there is generally a car going with people I know going too, so send the stuff with them. Normal commuting, if it I cant carry it, it dont go with.
Most bikes have enuf space under the seat for a ladies handbag Joni so you should be alright :msn-wink:

laRIKin
29th March 2004, 18:53
I have Givi's.

Put your stuff in the cases, walk out to the bike and click, bikes loaded. :done:

Locked on the bike your gear is safe while you go walk abouts. :2thumbsup

At a rally, your gears safe on your bike and it doesn,t have to go in your tent,
where go kick it around all night. :rockon:

Down side is the price. :whocares: It's only money and it can save you loseing some other gear.

And you'll have it for along time. As you can pass it on to your next bike. :scooter:

Indiana_Jones
29th March 2004, 20:37
I just stick my school crap in my school back then on my back :whocares:
lol would look cool with school books all over the road if I crashed :laugh:

-Indy

Grumpy
29th March 2004, 20:59
Used it all through the years.....pack racks, soft panniers, tankbags etc...
Since I bought the 1400 I fitted a Givi top box. :yes:
Wouldn't use anything else now. Brilliant.

johno
29th March 2004, 22:21
I use 2 Givi 36 litre panniers on a Wingrack system, don't even know they're there.
And a dead sheep on the seat too.
lou
I was thinking about carrying a dead sheep too, thought it might improve my sex life

Lou Girardin
30th March 2004, 06:38
I haven't noticed any improvement there, try using a different cologne.
Lou

Big Dog
30th March 2004, 18:59
If I can't carry it I courier it ahead or get a freind to take it, but I want some soft panniers (easy removal a pus in my book). In my experience if you cant take it home on the bike it just adds to the clutter anyway. Thats how the dvd/vcr/playstation/stereo came home and I used to know a nutter who brought me a fridge on one. Besides if its that big and its new they will deliver at no charge.... if not someone else will. :moon:

bungbung
31st March 2004, 08:25
a pus in my book

You should get that checked out