PDA

View Full Version : Importing a bike from the U.S.A

cheese
7th February 2006, 11:40
Hi Guys

I've had a look at eBay and there is a shit load of cheap bikes on there and I was thinking about importing one. Anyone done that before? Dodgy? :Pokey: looks like you can save a few $$ by doing it.

Cheers

Cheese

Colapop
7th February 2006, 11:46
Depends on where you're getting it from (State) there are a couple of KB members over there. There are also a couple (?) of threads that cover some of this topic. One place to start could be the "what do you do" thread.
Bugjuice is involved in transportation from memory... (my memory could be shot too...) and the company he works for has offices over there. Don't know whther it's the "Castaway" company though!! :blip:

Groins_NZ
7th February 2006, 11:47
Doesn't Quasievil do imports/exports as well?

Colapop
7th February 2006, 12:01
I think so....

justsomeguy
7th February 2006, 12:11
How bout getting one from Japan?

Talk to Richard from Corsa Motorcycles - 570 2982

He should be able to find you almost anything.

sAsLEX
7th February 2006, 12:48
emoto.co.nz

quite a few here , myself included have got them through here and been impressed

Colapop
7th February 2006, 12:51
According to Brian D'Marge a lot of the Japanese ones are pretty thrashed but he's happy to check one out that's close to where he is. PM him I'd say.

cheese
7th February 2006, 14:49
Awesome I'll see how it goes

Always a bit nervous about overseas goods.

Quasievil
7th February 2006, 15:05
Yes Quasi does Imports, its actually cheaper than what you think, but before I get swamped with emails about everyones hairbrain ideas that they dont intend on following through with, just remember I have to get quotes from our overseas offices and they expect a result and I aint keen on fucking around with it so if youre serious let me know otherwise forget it, All said with LOVE but Ive had like 20 emails from all soughts of people with no info and no idea what they are doing, for example

Q. Quasi how much to get a bike to Europe
A. where in europe and what is the weight of the bike and the cubic measurement
Q. Anywhere in europe, whats Cubic measurement, I got some other stuff to send to.
A. HxW,L, Mate I need details if Im going to do a quote for you
Q. No replies

Next one

Q. Quasi I want to tour the world starting in China how much to sea freight my Bike from port to port as I go?
A. let me know when you sought your own shit out Im not a fucken travel agent next time you ask a question ask with a clue.

So my motivation at the moment to do quotes is well zero, you guys get all the information and do all the running around and then ask me for a quote
Get my drift ?

Quasievil
7th February 2006, 15:07
Depends on where you're getting it from (State) there are a couple of KB members over there. There are also a couple (?) of threads that cover some of this topic. One place to start could be the "what do you do" thread.
Bugjuice is involved in transportation from memory... (my memory could be shot too...) and the company he works for has offices over there. Don't know whther it's the "Castaway" company though!! :blip:

Buggy works for telstra clear

Colapop
7th February 2006, 15:24
Yea sorry, my bad. Told ya the ol membory aint that good.

Groins_NZ
7th February 2006, 15:31
you guys get all the information and do all the running around and then ask me for a quote
Get my drift ?

Classic :clap: - true though!

Fordy
7th February 2006, 21:30
So my motivation at the moment to do quotes is well zero

No shit dude :wait:

Brian d marge
8th February 2006, 00:20
According to Brian D'Marge a lot of the Japanese ones are pretty thrashed but he's happy to check one out that's close to where he is. PM him I'd say.

I am in the same boat , I want to upgrade my chassis or bike to a newer one the bike prices on Cr250 are in the 140 to 300 thousand yen mark a 98 will be around 140 and an 04 is around 300 thousand yen.
The ones I see at auction tend to be A profesionally looked after , newer models , or abused in the case of older models ( just looking at a 04 model now and its sitting at 300 looks very clean, 3 days to go on the bidding , so will probably go for 4 ish , a new one 05 model I think is sitting at 600 he wants 750 for it
If you look on trade me , under dirt bikes , Beach side bikes buys from the big auction here and his stock is a good example of what goes through

Me as I am a cheap basket , I am looking at either biting the bullet and purchasing a dog of a 2000 model , swapping all my good bits over , or buying the running gear from the states ,,,* there are some cheap bits over there *

Quasi I have prepared the box of bits , my next silly question is what do I do next , or who do I see???

Hopefully my silly questions didnt make you lose motivation !

Kind regards Stephen

tracyprier
8th February 2006, 08:13
Awesome I'll see how it goes

Always a bit nervous about overseas goods.

Hey Cheese.

I privately imported my Beemer from the 'States. I looked at eBay but decided I wasn't happy about dealing with a private individual when thousands of dollars were involved so I bought mine from a BMW dealer in California (the bikes an ex-CHP bike).

Having said that I know a chap in Epsom who privately bought 2 of these ex-CHP bikes through eBay with no problems.

Bear in mind that you need to sort out the compliance issues depending on what year the bike is...LTSA website has all that info.

Also, being a USA market bike I had to carry out some surgery to my bike and remove the catalytic converter element and a couple of other emission-related things that were strangling the bike.

Oh, another also, some USA market bikes (I'm thinking Ducati) actually came with less power than their Euro versions AND it's not always just a case of putting in a new ECM chip. In the case of the Ducati's (forget which model) the combustion chamber and valves were smaller so it wasn't a cheap mod to get them up to normal spec again.

I got mine through the states because all up it cost me about $12,500.00NZ and at the time they were going for around the $17 - 20,000 mark.

Cheers
Tracy

Quasievil
8th February 2006, 08:29
I am in the same boat , I want to upgrade my chassis or bike to a newer one the bike prices on Cr250 are in the 140 to 300 thousand yen mark a 98 will be around 140 and an 04 is around 300 thousand yen.
The ones I see at auction tend to be A profesionally looked after , newer models , or abused in the case of older models ( just looking at a 04 model now and its sitting at 300 looks very clean, 3 days to go on the bidding , so will probably go for 4 ish , a new one 05 model I think is sitting at 600 he wants 750 for it
If you look on trade me , under dirt bikes , Beach side bikes buys from the big auction here and his stock is a good example of what goes through

Me as I am a cheap basket , I am looking at either biting the bullet and purchasing a dog of a 2000 model , swapping all my good bits over , or buying the running gear from the states ,,,* there are some cheap bits over there *

Quasi I have prepared the box of bits , my next silly question is what do I do next , or who do I see???

Hopefully my silly questions didnt make you lose motivation !

Kind regards Stephen

Hi mate, you need to get me the total size and weight of the box as well as the closest city ie Tokyo? and the destination address.
Once I have this I can quote you a exact rate to airfreight or seafreight delivered customs cleared etc to your destination address, we can also hold it here in Auckland depot for you if you wish.
Are you sending it back out of the country, you may have to pay some duty but should get it back when it leaves.

Cheers