PDA

View Full Version : Victim of Sag?

emaN
7th February 2006, 15:53
Been fiddlin' with bouncy bits (the bike's that is), found this link which could/should be of interest:

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9508_tech/

Apparently it's where one should start before playing around too much

Might have to get the Vegas crew 'round mine one Thurs night...or bring all the bikes 'round and give 'em all a once over?

Colapop
7th February 2006, 15:54
The obvious must be said - I really thought this was about something else, age perhaps.....:doh:

Brian d marge
7th February 2006, 16:08
yes thats the race techs site,(version of sag) he makes it a bit more difficult to understand than it needs to be.

But yes its all comes down to sag , which in the end will be springs

I tried to avoid buying springs for ages ( the sag settings were ok , you can get correct sag with incorrect springs )

but after watching 12 yrs olds wave as they sailed past onthe rough stuff , whilst I was hanging on for grim death wondering how the hell they did it

I bit the bullet and spent some time on my suspension

Stephen

zooter
9th February 2006, 19:47
So the handling two up should be shot to bits if you don't adjust the shock preload? I recently pillioned my 100 kg mother on my boinky suspension and it sorted it out quite well. Much more stable in the curves. Boinky is such a good technical term, where can I get the nutshell guide to suspension? I need to get edjamacated.

geoffm
9th February 2006, 21:08
So the handling two up should be shot to bits if you don't adjust the shock preload? I recently pillioned my 100 kg mother on my boinky suspension and it sorted it out quite well. Much more stable in the curves. Boinky is such a good technical term, where can I get the nutshell guide to suspension? I need to get edjamacated.

What that could be is that the rear end sqats more with the extra weight - raking out the front end (think chopper) and making it less twitchy - and slower steering.
Geoff

zooter
10th February 2006, 11:42
Already got a big rake for a sports tourer, but yes I recall it being a bit slower to get turned in, not a lot. Where the big difference was felt was in the backside sitting on the road, soaking up bumps rather than bouncing over them, although Mum's non-artificial hip disagreed.

emaN
10th February 2006, 12:43
could be a stiff spring, which gets to work properly when the extra weight's on it...?

happens to the RF too; i prefer going quick (before you get up in arms, i'm not talking "WT, loose, boomer" quick,k?) with the mrs on the back! bike's alot more settled than when it's just me.

boomer
17th February 2006, 17:26
could be a stiff spring, which gets to work properly when the extra weight's on it...?

happens to the RF too; i prefer going quick (before you get up in arms, i'm not talking "WT, loose, boomer" quick,k?) with the mrs on the back! bike's alot more settled than when it's just me.

If you're not going as quick as me mate you must be in reverse :blip:

Zed
17th February 2006, 21:07
If you're not going as quick as me mate you must be in reverse :blip:So what's your excuse then boomer dude? Are u anticipating lifting the pace at any time in the near future, or are u comfortable with your self-proclaimed nana status? :buggerd:

boomer
17th February 2006, 21:19
Nana pace is good.. my demi god status keeps me 'up there'