PDA

View Full Version : Can I put a 170/60-18 on my FZR750?

riffer
29th March 2004, 09:23
Hey all,

guess the heading says it all. Is there much of a problem going up a size on the rear?

Bike is supposed to have a 160/60-18...

Jackrat
29th March 2004, 09:59
I just had a yarn with Mt eden Motorcycles about this very subject.
We came to the conclusion that it gains you very little if anything.
This was interesting to me because they could of made more money from me by going to a larger tyre.At the same time what you have done is not a big jump so if it makes you happy why not huh.
Have you noticed any difference in handling??and what are you going to do on the front,It must change the balance to some digree,but is it enough to notice??
Let us know,I'm very interested.

riffer
29th March 2004, 10:41
Actually Jackrat, I've asked cause I saw a tyre on trademe going cheap.

The scot in me says buy it now, you may save a fair wad of cash if it will fit.

With the sort of riding I'm mainly doing I don't need anything racey, just a good sport/touring tyre.

Hopefully I won't stuff up my bid by showing all of KB this, but its a size most people don't use. Here's the auction:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbike-Parts/0001-0026-0135-/auction-10040872.htm

What are these tyres like. It looks like an earlier Azaro, maybe a AV36. Don't know too much about Avons, but everyone seems to think my Sportmax 205 is the world's worst tyre, and it seems to suit my riding pretty good, so I just don't know...

Jackrat
29th March 2004, 11:10
Hmmm,I have an Avon on the back now,I had problems with Avon Tyres in the past but this one is Quite good,it came with the bike.
My only worry would be if you push it you probably won't get to the outside edge before the front does funny things.Depends on your riding style I guess.
Maybe some of the race riders will have a better idea of how it will work.
Pity it's not a sixteen,I need a new rear myself.
Tyre that is :whistle:

750Y
29th March 2004, 16:06
i think that tyre is a av36 or av35 i forget now. it was popular fitment for mid 90's adventure touring style bikes. it could possibly be 5-10 yrs old. i don't see why it wouldn't be fine as long as you didn't treat it like a race tyre.

DEATH_INC.
29th March 2004, 21:03
It'll be fine,I've seen a couple with 170's fitted and my mate has a 170 on the rear (4" rim) of his old gsxr which works fine too.

Kickaha
29th March 2004, 21:44
I would be looking at what your rim width is and finding the optimum size tyre for it.

I have generally found going to a wider tyre gives a slower turn into the corners but you got better drive out.

F5 Dave
30th March 2004, 13:21
Going to an oversize tire will give you less contact area.

Eh? :wacko:

Ok to quantify that if the rim isn’t optimum size the tire will balloon out in a funny profile as the beads are closer together than they should be.
The wider tire will be taller as well as the 60 profile is a % of the width.

Having said that some manufacturer’s sizes are smaller than others so it may make more or less of a difference.

riffer
30th March 2004, 17:02
i think that tyre is a av36 or av35 i forget now. it was popular fitment for mid 90's adventure touring style bikes. it could possibly be 5-10 yrs old. i don't see why it wouldn't be fine as long as you didn't treat it like a race tyre.
Yeah, that's what I thought. original AV36. Given my style of riding, and current finances (three rugrats - 3yo, 4yo and 6yo) and that fact that I'm riding a 230kilo bike mainly back and forth from work, it should be fine. Especially at the price!

riffer
31st March 2004, 10:59
OKay, I won the auction so I've scored a new tyre for my bike for $50. KK would be proud of me :)

I talked to Pat @ motomart about the tyre and he's not sure what it is either. Reckons its a sport/touring tyre. All that's on the tyre is AVON 170/60-18 SP 23 V280

Any of you guys know what this might be?

Racey Rider
31st March 2004, 13:19
Hey, I also brought one of their cheap tyres. DUNLOP GPR-20F FRONT :banana:
Anyone EVER heard of it? :no: No info I can find on the net. Must be old!

Anyway, Anyone down there (Upper Hutt), that could bring it up to Puke for the 23rd April for me?
Just checking my options,, being a cheap skate and all,,, you no how it is!
Well,,, some of you probably Don't, being on that BIG I.T. industry money! :crazy:

PS. What are we suppost to do with this guy :raghead: ?

pete376403
31st March 2004, 14:20
These oddball tires could be OEM and only available to the motorcycle factories, perhaps thats why the type code isn't showing up in catalogues and so on?
Or just plain old. Rob Nesbitt of Classic Cycles in Upper Hutt had some ancient Avon Roadrunners (?) that he bought in with a container load of old bike parts from Canada. I got a new 130-90x16, (same size as Harley 883 Sportster), had been in storage for ages. 'Twas as hard as nails and lasted very well. Interesting in the wet, tho'

riffer
31st March 2004, 15:03
These oddball tires could be OEM ...
Yeah, Pete, they're almost definitely OEM - most probably BMW from 90s, probably for a K100.

Who cares - Its just for commuting. Hopefully by the time it wears out (sometime next decade ;) ) I will have enough bucks to buy a new bike.

Three young uns and wife at home - it gets expensive.

riffer
5th April 2004, 08:46
Okay, I've picked up the tyre, and I'll have to say, for $50, it looks like an okay deal.

AVON ST23, 170/60-18, absolutely unmarked.

From what I've gathered on the net, its a sport-touring tyre, so shouldn't be too different from what I already have - a Sportmax D205. Avon first brought them out in 1996, so could be up to 8 years old. Doesn't look a lot wider at all than my current tyre (160/60-18) so shouldn't have any problems with clearance.

A website said: UD profile tread pattern for enhanced grip and better cornering stability. Construction: one-ply and two kevlar belts. Lighter weight and cooler running than conventional tires. Provides a more comfortable ride, especially over long distances.

Has anyone else used these tyres? They're pretty hard so I estimate I'll probably get 12 months out of it.

Remember, I will be using the bike almost exclusively (on a km basis) on commuting in all kinds of weather from Upper Hutt to Wellington, and only going for weekend rides (hoons) in good weather. My bike weighs about 220 kgs dry (heavy!) and the seat-of-the-pants-dynamometer reckons between 90 and 100hp at the crank (but only on full throttle which isn't TOO often when commuting)

Cheers

riffer
5th April 2004, 08:58
Tried editing the post to put a pic up twice, didn't work - so here's a pic of the tyre.

Posh Tourer :P
5th April 2004, 19:12
Just a few of my experiences on bigger and smaller tyres. It is normally fine to go up or down *ONE* size from manufacturers specs (depending on bike and wheel type). Turn in speed will be slower with a bigger tyre, but grip is better. A new tyre always has better turn in cos the profile hasnt squared off yet (unavoidable in commuting). On the front, a size smaller gives you better steering feel. I have done both of these on both the CB125 and the MZ. Both I was happy with the result.