PDA

View Full Version : good naked 250

retep130
7th February 2006, 18:07
Im just looking at getting my learners and naked bikes sure do look good, I ride a street magic 2 110 at the moment (yes its over the moped limit but nobody knows:oi-grr: ), I've seen a couple of bandits on trademe and they look very sexy, what would you guys recommend for me? I do like to ride enthusiastically but not dangerously and feel good riding (i rode push bikes everywhere since age 10 around town and on big trips before getting a car and a first street magic 50).

Could anyone tell me vaguely what I could get for my street magic if I were to sell it to get some $$ for a bigger bike, its done 18xxxkm's with a wof and reg, 1st owner in nz

Thanks, Pete

limbimtimwim
7th February 2006, 22:33
what would you guys recommend for me?Here comes my Honda bias, but have look at a 1998 onwards VTR 250. Or for that matter, for less money (And basically the same bike) the Honda VT 250 Spada. I loved riding my VTR.

steved
7th February 2006, 22:37
Here comes my Honda bias, but have look at a 1998 onwards VTR 250. Or for that matter, for less money (And basically the same bike) the Honda VT 250 Spada. I loved riding my VTR.Yeah, the Spada is nice and pretty quick for a 250 (gave my CBR250 trouble until about 11,000 rpm). Bit rare but.

poorbastard
7th February 2006, 22:41
Bandit bandit bandit bandit, did i mention bandit

N4CR
7th February 2006, 22:52
Kwaka Balius - naked zxr (rare as hell though)
VTR
Hornet (cbr engine)
arse Bandit

And that's all I can think of now.

Did someone say naked bikes (http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-06/12/xin_370602120756469107024.jpg)?

poorbastard
7th February 2006, 23:44
[QUOTE=tristank]Kwaka Balius - naked zxr (rare as hell though)
QUOTE]

Currently a nice one on trademe

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports-tourer/auction-46566683.htm

inlinefour
8th February 2006, 05:09
A DRZ or KLX 250:corn:

retep130
8th February 2006, 15:42
the zr250 looks pretty cool

anyone know what my street magic would be worth?

Patrick
8th February 2006, 15:47
Did someone say "naked bikes?

Bad form Weasel...:laugh: Which one is you?

Bandits? YEAH!!!! But I'm biased too. They just go bloody well, have a bit of top end speed if ya want it but a good learner too.

hXc
8th February 2006, 15:57
I'm mega bias but...

Hooooonda VT250 SPADA:first:

bigbadwolf
8th February 2006, 16:10
You've got great taste in bikes Pete, naked sportsbikes are the shiz.

Bandits are cool
Spadas are cool
VTR's are cool
Hornets are cool
Balius' are cool

AND XELVIS'S ARE FARKING AWESOME!

Then again, I would say that... (pic of one in my profile)

But seriously, naked 250's have about the same performance and same looks, so just find one that's in good condition in your price range and go for it. People will have had good and bad experiences with all models of bike, so recommendations don't really mean much. I'm sure your bike will be amazing!

Have fun riding man, I'm sure you will love it :2thumbsup

flash
8th February 2006, 17:10
[QUOTE=tristank]Kwaka Balius - naked zxr (rare as hell though)
QUOTE]

Currently a nice one on trademe

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports-tourer/auction-46566683.htm
dont even think about it! that things mine!!!
the sellers a down right fu*ker though, he wont answer me :mad:

MidnightMike
8th February 2006, 17:13
[QUOTE=poorbastard]
dont even think about it! that things mine!!!
the sellers a down right fu*ker though, he wont answer me :mad:
Hes answered me before, go on chat and ill tell you about it.

retep130
8th February 2006, 17:51
thanks for the advice guys

My dad has just been talking to a guy today who has ridden many bikes all over the world and he was saying that naked bikes have alot more resistance at 100kmh plus and would not be that good for the likes of riding down to mt ruapehu and the such (my family has a house in Owhango, near mt ruapehu) and that it would be alot harder riding because of this

Can you advise me any further regarding this?

thanks, Pete

limbimtimwim
8th February 2006, 19:04
Can you advise me any further regarding this?120 is no problem, in my opinion. How fast do you want to go? Perhaps he was meaning 100 *miles* per hour?

Ixion
8th February 2006, 23:30

My dad has just been talking to a guy today who has ridden many bikes all over the world and he was saying that naked bikes have alot more resistance at 100kmh plus and would not be that good for the likes of riding down to mt ruapehu and the such (my family has a house in Owhango, near mt ruapehu) and that it would be alot harder riding because of this

thanks, Pete

Cobblers. Ridden dozens of naked bikes over the years, have two now, 100kph you won't notice the wind effect. Over 160kph, maybe another matter. On a 250 you don't need to take acount of it.

ducatilover
9th February 2006, 20:57
I'm mega bias but...

Hooooonda VT250 SPADA:first:
oooooh :love: and yours tickles my fancy!

i know the vtrs are nice bikes and they handle really well, and in dark red metallic are orgasmic looking!

ducatilover
9th February 2006, 21:00

thanks, Pete
meh, its only a bastard at 150+ in my opinion and on a nekkid 250 i wouldnt worry. im happy to cruise at 150 on a nekkid if it can happily stay there [although i wouldnt exceed the speed limit by such a considerable margin would i?]:Police:

Wasp
9th February 2006, 21:09
Here comes my Honda bias, but have look at a 1998 onwards VTR 250. Or for that matter, for less money (And basically the same bike) the Honda VT 250 Spada. I loved riding my VTR.

or anything around the vt250 line, for example my vtz.

as for the wind resistance I sometimes find myself wishing my bike was faired cos it's sort of like a constant reverse benchpress (or a pressup), but I only find this annoying at "relatively" high speeds.

ducatilover
9th February 2006, 21:15
as for the wind resistance I sometimes find myself wishing my bike was faired cos it's sort of like a constant reverse benchpress (or a pressup), but I only find this annoying at "relatively" high speeds.
you do? i was commuting 139k each day at relatively high speeds [stupid prick i was] and i never seemed to mind the wind factor and i live in a windy area and am most certainly not strong in the upper body area but it never woried me at all unless i went above 150-160 for extended periods and 170-180 was just to stupid even for me. :confused: fuck riding like that anymore

Wasp
9th February 2006, 21:27
Well i commute say 5mins? 2ks? to work every day so its not a regular problem.

It's only a problem when im doing the regular trtnr rides "trying" to keep up with say 3 or 4 (or more) GSXR's and a repsol.... oh and a ninja and a hyosung, after a while frustration sets in as you can imagine it would when chasing far more experienced riders on faster bikes.

ducatilover
9th February 2006, 21:29
i see your point.:2thumbsup id rather have a naked like mine because it slows me down rather than if i had a rs250 or something less rideable and more lethal. and i like the look:blip:

Wasp
9th February 2006, 21:34
Yea i completly agree, naked bikes are best (and besides gsxr fairings are around 1.5k to replace).

I was fortunate enough to be allowed to ride a cbr600 around a carpark awhile ago, it was sorta along the lines of "where the fuck do my legs go?" and "What the hell? wheres the front tire?"

However I was thinking of attempting to mould a clear plastic windscreen (my grandad used to make telecom/mobil/lotto sings) to fit the bike, play with it/mount it and then replace it with a higher quality tinted plastic.

retep130
9th February 2006, 21:36
thanks for the help guys, im on the lookout for a naked bike now. Just need to sell my street magic first:cool:

Patrick
10th February 2006, 19:00
You might like being naked...:doh: but spare a thought for the kids out there...:oi-grr: :nono:

retep130
10th February 2006, 19:40
yeah i'll try not to reveal too much:shake:

Bonez
11th February 2006, 04:38

thanks, Pete Are you sure he wasn't talking about wind/airflow pressure? You do get better protection from it if you have a decent fairing. The wind/air is forced around, over and below the fairing thus taking that pressure of the rider. If the fairing screen is too low air pressure can actually be increased. Heated handle bars get around the cold hands thing and a few layers of clothing helps. Avoid steel cap boots in cold icy weather and wear a few layers of socks. The thing is not to rap yourself up too much around the neck head area. One has to breath you know. I find I tend to keep my visor open slightly even though my helmet has vents in it on frosty rides.

There's decent kit available these days to wear. But in saying that a bit of common sence goes a long way. Even with a fairing, heated grips, and rapped up like a mummy it can get bloody cold around that area and there's a lot of black ice IIRC. The black ice is one reason I'd tend to avoid a fully faired bike in that area, but thats just me. Others will have different opinions.

A few more tips. Have a spare pair of gloves and boots handy so one pair is placed in the hot water closet overnight. Try not to be pressured in to going faster than you feel confident at. The old news paper stuffed down the front a the jacket trick does work ;) Those trail bike hand guards may look a bit silly on a road bike but they do help keep your fingers out of the air pressure. You can take them off as and when needed.

I hope some of this helps in some way and good luck.

retep130
11th February 2006, 18:58
my street magic is now on trademe

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=47705085

can anyone recommend a good place to do my basic handling test? I would prefer one that has an hour or two of training before hand, thanks