PDA

View Full Version : Imported UK bikes

Stuart Bailey
9th February 2006, 07:49
Hello, please can anyone help or give me some guidance?

I’ am currently in the UK but will be emigrating to NZ with my family in June/July 2006 as my wife is NZ citizen (Wellington). I own a 1999 YZF R6 and I am undecided whether to sell the bike here in the UK and then purchase a new machine once we arrive in NZ or to bring it with me. Looking on “trade me” second hand bikes in NZ seem expensive compared with the UK and the choice maybe less. My bike has a full Akrapovic system and is road legal here in the UK as it has passed the annual M.O.T inspection. If I bring the bike into NZ will it require the exhaust changing, re-registering or any other type of examination before I can ride it?

I would appreciate any help?

Many thanks,

Stuart

Fordy
9th February 2006, 08:32
Look in this section, I wrote a thread called importing a bike or summat similar.

Swoop
9th February 2006, 08:52
I'm gonna be picking up an R1 for a mate fairly soon. He has brought it into the country and been charged NZ $1400 for the pleasure of doing so. This is refundable if you decide to export the bike back out of the country within 12 months (aparently).
Bring your bike if you are happy with it!!!

Another person was telling a tale about a bike coming here from UK. The duty wanted by customs was so much that he sent the bike back to UK and had it stripped down into parts so that it could be imported that way (supposedly far cheaper...)

Best of luck.

Troll
9th February 2006, 09:27
hi no problems importing bikes from Uk to NZ, have done that when i moved from uk to nz in 91 and have done the reverse when i moved back to the uk in 99

Pm me and I'll give you all the details

Zebedee
9th February 2006, 11:08
Yup, I've imported my bike too, though not without a few frustrations, as I've posted here or here abouts.

Whilst the whole thing is relatively straight forwards, with the benefit of hindsight, I'd have a good long think about it.

How attached are you to your bike? How much cash would you get if you sold it UK Spring/Summer, and bought a replacement NZ Autum/Winter? How long can you bear to be off two wheels? How much is it going to cost you to ship the bike?

The one thing that tips things in favour of bringing your bike over is that the exchange rate isn't what it used to be :cry:

If you are determined to bring you bike over, and your good lady is a Kiwi, it might save you a couple of dollars if you transfer ownership of the bike to her whilst you are still in the UK.

Like Troll say's, PM me and I'll try and ease you through a couple of the headaches that I suffered :brick:

Troll
10th February 2006, 06:12
How much is it going to cost you to ship the bike?

If you are determined to bring you bike over, and your good lady is a Kiwi, it might save you a couple of dollars if you transfer ownership of the bike to her whilst you are still in the UK.

£300 and I shipped an electraglide your bike shoudl be slightly cheaper than that

DO NOT put the bike into a kiwi's name this would be the most stupid thing you could do returning Kiwis now get hammered importing vehicles even if they have had them in their name for over 12 months. I was looking at retruining to NZ a year or so back and according to their publications they wanted GST on bikes I'd owned over 10 years and had bought originally in NZ, I contacted them and would have to prove that I'd bought the bikes in NZ or tehy would hammer me as a returning Kiwi for importing bikes into NZ

If you are UK and have had the bike over 12 months there is no GST payable

Zebedee
10th February 2006, 12:21
... DO NOT put the bike into a kiwi's name ... ... or you could follow Troll's advice :niceone:

Whilst I didn't have to pay GST, I did have to pay a hefty bond, equivalent to the GST, which is refundable when our Residence comes through, or if I keep the bike for two years after importing it.

That was one of the :brick: moments.

The PM offer still stands ... between Troll and myself we should be able to give you some food for thought.

Draig
19th March 2006, 05:23
Hi guys - first post on here so go easy on me eh:rolleyes:

I am moving from wales to dunedin in a few weeks.

I am importing a 05 road king in the same container as my other bits and pieces.

I have been told that for registration I need to prove compliance for brakes, reflectors and indicators.

The bike has an EC whole vehicle approval number on the VIN plate.

Will this be sufficient for the purpose of proving compliance?

Any other tips to make things go smoothly on this much appreciated!

Cheers

Wynn

Shaun
19th March 2006, 07:16
Hey mate, if your bike is in standard condition ie as per manufacturers spec it will piss through the compliance test here, Good luck

Troll
19th March 2006, 19:59
Hi guys - first post on here so go easy on me eh:rolleyes:

I have been told that for registration I need to prove compliance for brakes, reflectors and indicators.

Wynn

correct and if you have changed anything you will need to prove compliance

it is a lot tougher in NZ than the Uk, have shipped bikes in both directions and NZ is more difficult

sennandy
26th March 2006, 20:38
My bike is arriving on 9th April and I have been told that I will have nothing over and above my shipping costs to pay untilI put it through the Warranty test, I was also told that I have dispensation to ride my bike from the importers yard to my house on the UK plates.

Insurance for cars is much less, however bikes are pretty much the same as uk if not a little more expensive here.

As for your cans my Duc has termi's that are not road legal in uk but I had a current MOT, with cans on. There are cars here louder than my bike,so I am not to bothered about them, also been told to take bike to a a bike shop for warranty test as they will be more intrested in bike than not passing it, stick to people who know what they are dealing with.

You can get import bikes here also for less money than the UK, if it was me and your bike is not special to you leave it in uk if you can get the money you want. You will have enough to worry about than your bike and think of the fun going round looking for that new bike!:scooter:

emaN
27th March 2006, 15:03
take bike to a a bike shop for warranty test

i try to avoid this, they have a regulation manual growing by the week!
getting stupid.

places like VTNZ look at 'the basics'; brakes, lights, bearings, etc...

your bike won't need a "brake test" if produced after 02 (double check tho')

mine has an ART non-road legal (UK) pipe which has passed everything since bringing the bike over.

good luck!

rok-the-boat
12th April 2006, 19:36
First post ...

I brought my Harley over from Korea in Jan 2006 and paid no GST tax. They told me that if I sell it within 2 years I will have to pay the tax but otherwise, not. I have not gone through compliance yet as I have just rebuilt it (cheaper to send in boxes). They may have issues with my braided cables and the Thunderheader noise though. In fact, I have just inserted a homemade baffle in the rear of the Thunderheader for that very purpose. Other than that, it should pass, I hope.

emaN
13th April 2006, 15:16
good luck rok...
what flavour are your hoses?

i brought "Earls" stainless lines back from the UK, put 'em on after the VIN'ing, but i've had two WOF's since and not been a worry...

rok-the-boat
19th April 2006, 00:19
I think they are Reinhart. Can't remember exactly. Got them from Direct Parts in the USA.

scracha
19th May 2006, 21:39
Import it. Bikes here are stupidly expensive...even SOB's. Keep it in your name so there's no GST. Wish to hell I'd imported mine. Oh...and importing hard luggage on your bike is a good idea too as Givi stuf is also stupidly expensive here.

XP@
22nd May 2006, 16:45
Import it. Bikes here are stupidly expensive...even SOB's. Keep it in your name so there's no GST. Wish to hell I'd imported mine. Oh...and importing hard luggage on your bike is a good idea too as Givi stuf is also stupidly expensive here.
I looked at importing a couple of months ago, and found a new transalp was more expensive in the UK & germany, second hand ones were a tad cheeper, but about the same by the time you had added in transport and ORC.

But yeh, luggage, other accessories and parts are cheeper in euro-land. Also there is one hell of a lot more choice!