PDA

View Full Version : Ride this saturday

Firefight
29th March 2004, 21:27
:cold: or :sunny: ride this saturday, open to all, 150cc, :scooter: whatever

leaving Autobahn papakura at 09.00 hours, tx if your running late, Awhitu or 22, and beyond.. fast/slow riders all welcome.

Firefight :wacko:

Two Smoker
29th March 2004, 21:30
Gutted its on a saturday again :weep: When are you going to do one on Sunday :) ????

Motoracer
29th March 2004, 23:26
I'll come out riding with you this weekend FF. You'll get to see my bike in road trim as well. CK are you comming to this one?

erik
30th March 2004, 06:50

Hmm, I'm thinking I might come. It'd be my first time riding south of Auckland, and first time riding with a group. And the first time I've ridden for any length on open roads, the only other time was a ride to Muriwai.

Have you got any idea how many kms we'll cover and/or how long we'll be?

Firefight
30th March 2004, 07:49
Hmm, I'm thinking I might come. It'd be my first time riding south of Auckland, and first time riding with a group. And the first time I've ridden for any length on open roads, the only other time was a ride to Muriwai.

Have you got any idea how many kms we'll cover and/or how long we'll be?

Yep 300+ kms, and most of the day, however, anyone is free to come as far as they like and return when they like, also this will not be a big group normally about4-8 riders..your choice :cool:

firefight :crazy:

SPman
30th March 2004, 08:11
Im in (if i can get up early enough and the POS is running)

aff-man
30th March 2004, 08:38
Why do you do this to me FF :disapint: :bleh: . Have fun guys i'll catch you on the next one

Marmoot
30th March 2004, 08:42
aaackkk.... working as relief shift this weekend.
I'll come next week if it's still 22 way.

(gives a new meaning to the phrase 'catch 22')

slob
30th March 2004, 08:45
After spending $700 on the bike, it's crapped out again (something to do with redlining it all day on Sun?). If the bike's going, I'd be keen!

Firefight
30th March 2004, 09:48
aaackkk.... working as relief shift this weekend.
I'll come next week if it's still 22 way.

(gives a new meaning to the phrase 'catch 22')

No worries Marmoot, well do it again the following saturday.

F/F :laugh:

sAsLEX
30th March 2004, 09:59
Sounds Good FF, will see you there

MikeL
30th March 2004, 10:29
O.K., FF, sounds like a good ride and hope to be there. Will have to see how things go this week. 300k might be a bit much so soon (still a bit sore and not that much strength in the left arm/shoulder), so might shorten the ride slightly, or at least stop frequently. Also have to have the 400 serviced this week and a new rear tyre - it's a long time since it did anything more than commuting so hope it's up to it. But it will be great to do 22 again.

Firefight
30th March 2004, 13:07
O.K., FF, sounds like a good ride and hope to be there. Will have to see how things go this week. 300k might be a bit much so soon (still a bit sore and not that much strength in the left arm/shoulder), so might shorten the ride slightly, or at least stop frequently. Also have to have the 400 serviced this week and a new rear tyre - it's a long time since it did anything more than commuting so hope it's up to it. But it will be great to do 22 again.

Good on youa Mike, will be great to have you back with us, we will be stopping for the slower riders to catch up from time to time, so no problem.

claire
30th March 2004, 18:09
Hey could someone tell me where Highway 22 is? Just found it on the map. Will have to see if we are a two bike family again may catch you guys up there.

Claire

Coldkiwi
30th March 2004, 18:11
MR, i'll check with 'management' and see what up but i think saturdays a write off from memory

bikerboy
31st March 2004, 10:45
MR, i'll check with 'management' and see what up but i think saturdays a write off from memory

Mate, things seem to have changed a bit from pre "engagement mode" ! :no:

Hope this current trend is only "wedding planning" commitments and not a shorter, tight lead. ;)

If the weather is fine i may make a rare appearance. Just did the Auck-thames-whangamata-paeroa-wahi-auck trip and really enjoyed it. :ride:

Andrew
31st March 2004, 11:41
Well if the whole gang's going, I better come I guess! :Punk:

vladi
31st March 2004, 12:15
I will see if i can take a day off. :devil2:

Yep 300+ kms, and most of the day, however, anyone is free to come as far as they like and return when they like, also this will not be a big group normally about4-8 riders..your choice :cool:

firefight :crazy:

Motoracer
31st March 2004, 12:34
Make sure you save a day off for the 23rd Vladi. It would be awesome to see you on the track!

Shawn
31st March 2004, 13:35
hey
i would love to come :ride: with u guys. how far is Autobahn papakura from CDB? will i be able to get back before 6??

MikeL
31st March 2004, 14:07
hey
i would love to come :ride: with u guys. how far is Autobahn papakura from CDB? will i be able to get back before 6??

About 15 mins on the motorway, depending on whether you are worried about mr plod...

"And I'm certainly going to be back well before six." Quote from conversation with Mrs before every ride. And I've kept the promise just often enough so that she doesn't give me that funny look...

Andrew
31st March 2004, 14:24
hey

Gee for someone with a bike like that you don't get out much do you?!

duckman
31st March 2004, 14:30
If I can drag my hungover a$$ outta bed on saturday, I'll join youse fellas too.
:scooter:

Shawn
31st March 2004, 14:56
Gee for someone with a bike like that you don't get out much do you?!

i wish that was my bike....that's my dream bike which im getting before next summer...right now it's ZZR250 , 1995.

6Chris6
31st March 2004, 17:26
Gettin new bike tommorro all goin to plan :scooter: and lookin forward to comin out on saturday :ride:

Coldkiwi
31st March 2004, 17:29
count me out guys. Got too many commitments on saturday.

Yamahamaman
31st March 2004, 19:11
count me out guys. Got too many commitments on saturday.
Like win a few more trophies :whistle:

Yamahamaman
31st March 2004, 22:16

leaving Autobahn papakura at 09.00 hours, tx if your running late, Awhitu or 22, and beyond.. fast/slow riders all welcome.

Hmmm, won't be hitting the highways before Midday. Maybe a debrief at Bombay Autbahn around 16:30 (when the troups return).
Murray

Shawn
31st March 2004, 23:15
Gettin new bike tommorro all goin to plan :scooter: and lookin forward to comin out on saturday :ride:

what kinda bike r u getting?

6Chris6
1st April 2004, 05:55
what kinda bike r u getting?
Patience, patience all will be revealed on sauturday :soon: :sweatdrop :bleh:

Wonko
1st April 2004, 20:07
Damn, helping a friend move this Saturday, hope you all have a great time.

I will make it to a KB ride at some stage, promise.

MadDuck
1st April 2004, 20:54
As I replied in 250 club...me be there as long as the pace aint too hot I stay with you. Come on gals there must ne some of you out there keen for a hoon! Join the damn fun I say..that is the MadDuck challenge for the week :sweatdrop
Look forward to meeting you FF and others...lol. Whos bringing the first aid kit?

Andrew
1st April 2004, 20:59
As I replied in 250 club...me be there as long as the pace aint too hot I stay with you. Come on gals there must ne some of you out there keen for a hoon! Join the damn fun I say..that is the MadDuck challenge for the week :sweatdrop
Look forward to meeting you FF and others...lol. Whos bringing the first aid kit?

I'll be riding slowly especially with it being a larger group.

Two Smoker
1st April 2004, 20:59
OOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhh, i so wish i could come..... Hey F/F can you organise a sunday ride sometime????? i would be there at any time on sunday, sadly i can't make any saturday ride before 12pm :(

Cheers..

MadDuck
1st April 2004, 21:04
Way cool Andrew ... but I seen your slow pace (and me going like the clappers)...I think I can keep up - JUST. It looking like a good day so far :)

6Chris6
1st April 2004, 21:04
Same here i'll be riding slowly as on new bike :D

MikeL
1st April 2004, 21:07
Hey Andrew we'll have to take it in turns bringing up the rear. At least I have a valid excuse: broken collarbone and a new rear tyre. What's with this fear of large crowds?? It hasn't put you off in the past...

Andrew
1st April 2004, 21:13
OOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhh, i so wish i could come..... Hey F/F can you organise a sunday ride sometime????? i would be there at any time on sunday, sadly i can't make any saturday ride before 12pm :(

Cheers..

Yamahamaman is doing a ride from midday sat.

Andrew
1st April 2004, 21:14
Way cool Andrew ... but I seen your slow pace (and me going like the clappers)...I think I can keep up - JUST. It looking like a good day so far :)

I may even turn up on my Dad's old triumph, we'll see!

MadDuck
1st April 2004, 21:15
Can someone please give me def of riding slowly ? :sunny:

Firefight
1st April 2004, 21:16

I always bring a comprehnsive first aid kit on these rides.

F/F :wacko:

Andrew
1st April 2004, 21:18

Well I'll be keeping it to legal speeds as I got a ticket last week.

MadDuck
1st April 2004, 21:27
always bring a comprehnsive first aid kit on these rides.

F/F

Yay so I dont have to pack mine (first aid kit I mean)

Sounds good to me ...see you on the day . Just look for short chick on VTR with KB shirt :mad:

Shawn
1st April 2004, 22:04
Well I'll be keeping it to legal speeds as I got a ticket last week.

no fun keeping it to the legal speed.. :msn-wink: ...hey what happens if some1 get lost...for me ,i don't know the way at all...so if i get lost , i just have to come back ALONE!!!... :sweatdrop

also what if u need gas?...does the whole group wait for u?..compare to the bigger bikes...i can only go upto 260 with full tank...

and Chris , come on...what kinda bike?!!! it's killing me!!... :argh:

being my first group ride im kinda nervous and also :banana:

Shawn

6Chris6
1st April 2004, 22:17
no fun keeping it to the legal speed.. :msn-wink: ...hey what happens if some1 get lost...for me ,i don't know the way at all...so if i get lost , i just have to come back ALONE!!!... :sweatdrop

also what if u need gas?...does the whole group wait for u?..compare to the bigger bikes...i can only go upto 260 with full tank...

Shawn
You won't get lost the fast guys are very considerate and wait at intersections. These rides have improved my skill level every time you'll love it :niceone: 260k's is very good most of us are around 200-220 my bike is '02 gsx250 can't wait to take it on first ride!!!!

Shawn
1st April 2004, 22:23
You won't get lost the fast guys are very considerate and wait at intersections. These rides have improved my skill level every time you'll love it :niceone: 260k's is very good most of us are around 200-220 my bike is '02 gsx250 can't wait to take it on first ride!!!!

sweet!!.. :niceone:

why did u buy such a new model of 250? r u planning to stick with ur 250 for long time?

oh!! by the way, supposedly on Satarday it might rain, might not, but Sunday is all sunny and nice?...not saying to change the date or anything , just wanted to mention it.

Motoracer
1st April 2004, 22:27
I think I'll just come for a quick one till lunch to meet all the new peeps and head back early.

Andrew
1st April 2004, 22:27

Shawn

1) What speed you do is entirely up to you!

2) Carry a cell phone on you and make sure you get the number of a few leaders in the group at briefing. That way if you get lost you can radio for help!!

3)The fast guys wait at all the intersections, so don't worry about getting lost.

4) The bigger/faster bikes will be filling up way before you do. If you're worried about it, just fill up each time they do.

5) Chris got a GSX250.

6) Don't be nervous, the idea of the ride is that you have fun and enjoy yourself.

MadDuck
1st April 2004, 22:28
By Jingos ..wont my VTR spit engine at that speed? Gr8 time to find out I guess
Big question..whis buying lunch?

Posh Tourer :P
1st April 2004, 22:41
By Jingos ..wont my VTR spit engine at that speed? Gr8 time to find out I guess
Big question..whis buying lunch?

Lol if I could come along I would.... I'd be being "legal"ish...110-130 prob. I'll try and make a few more rides soon, Uni is mad at the mo

Edge
1st April 2004, 23:22
New member ladies and gents. I'd like to join you all on Sat, and bring a VTR & 996 along as well.Keen as.

Shawn
1st April 2004, 23:28
New member ladies and gents. I'd like to join you all on Sat, and bring a VTR & 996 along as well.Keen as.

welcome Edge, im pretty new myself..see u there then

erik
1st April 2004, 23:53
Wow this ride looks like it's going to be busy!

I'm definately coming, but I'm not sure if I'll last the whole 300k's or if I'll only be there half the day or something. I'll have to wait and see what it's like/how tired I get.

Shawn

You're lucky getting 260 on a tank, I only get about 180 before I have to hit the reserve.

Firefight
2nd April 2004, 08:22
Just a reminder for you newer folks coming, ride will be on :sunny: or :cold: or
rain, you are welcome to come along as far as you feel comfortable, if this is your first long ride, just remember once you start feeling a little tired it may be time to go back. We will stop at all major intersections were there may be doubt as to which way to go. This allows everyone to ride at the pace they are happy with. Myself or another regular will ride back if anyone fails to show after a reasonable time.We will have a comprehnsive first aid kit with us, spare water, and a selection of tools(sorry no #8 fencing wire) plenty of that at the side of the road :wacko: .We are hope to ride off around 09.00 hours from autobahn, however past rides have shown this is not normally possible, please try to be as close to on time as poss.

I am working night shift Friday, so please don't ring my home if you need more info, tx on 021-21 35978, or I will check the site 2 night if work is not to busy. I will go straight from work to Autobahn in the am.

Hope to see you all saturday morn.

Firefight :wacko: lets hope its :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

Andrew
2nd April 2004, 12:23
Message received Sir,
Will we be this formal on the ride Sir?

Coldkiwi
2nd April 2004, 12:47
please sir... can I have some more speed sir?

:)

Yamaman, my high scores are fairly secure at the moment (can't seem to get close to them myself anymore either!) but I wouldn't mind grabbing a third trophy

madduck, larger bikes definitely use more gas and almost always have less range, especially the sporty machines. and depending on how hard they get thrashed, they often need the extra time at the gas station (always a good place to wait for riders) to top up!

I agree about the legal limit being sleep inducing in most places. My solution is to get onto open roads where you need to be really pushing the bike to encroach on 100kph :)

have fun guys!
ff, I'll see when I'm gonna be able to go for a ride with ya for comparitive purposes. you working sunday?

Firefight
2nd April 2004, 16:54
ff, I'll see when I'm gonna be able to go for a ride with ya for comparitive purposes. you working sunday?
Not working, but Sunday is my family day atm.

Firefight

Firefight
2nd April 2004, 16:55
Message received Sir,
Will we be this formal on the ride Sir?

Shall I bring somemore hospital food for you Andrew ?

F/F :crazy:

Yarg
2nd April 2004, 18:46
Would it be in order for aged rider to tag along for a couple of hours.

Andrew
2nd April 2004, 18:49
Would it be in order for aged rider to tag along for a couple of hours.

The more the merrier! :D

Andrew
2nd April 2004, 18:51
Just checked the weather, and it looks like a primo day tomorrow! Any overnight rain should clear by dawn. It will be sunny and light winds. :sunny:

bane
2nd April 2004, 21:39
Hi guys

would love to come, but i'm heading to Napier to inspect what will hopefully be my new bike - a 2000 GSX750F :)
Have a great day all, hopefully catch u next time

Goddess of Goof
3rd April 2004, 00:06
Hhahahahhah that's a good question...! :rolleyes:

If you can see the backs of their helmets, they're riding slowly.

If you can't see them at all, but you know they're ahead somewhere - their riding at their usual pace.

If you can't see them - smell them - hear them, or find them waiting for you at any intersections, they are riding quite fast.

They will be finishing their lattes and hot chips at an obscure Cafe around a corner (where you won't spot their parked bikes until you pass) before you've done the twisties and started the long straight into Town.

:spudbooge Enjoy your day !

Marmoot
3rd April 2004, 12:27
Hi.....Just to let you know the time now is 12:36 on a beautiful sunny Saturday 3 April 2004....

Just a little message from somebody stuck at work here....

(clearly, posting at 12pm Saturday is a sign of lack of life....*grumble* *grumble*.....12.35pm now......only a few hours to go.....zzz....hmmm.....wish I can go out riding.....SH22......grrrmm......*peep*......*peep *.....*peep*.....*peep*.....*peep*......quit cutting out my expletives you *peep*......hmmppffft....)

:brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick:

erik
3rd April 2004, 12:42
Well, it was a short first kiwibiker ride for me.

I turned up at about 8:35am at the Autobahn Cafe but went and filled the bike up at the gas station before going in to the cafe. There was a group of riders outside the cafe already, I asked if they were from kiwibiker, and they said "nope, I think they're in there" pointing in the cafe.
I hadn't had breakfast, so I had a look in the cafe to see what they had, but I didn't feel like eating much. I ended up going to the gas station again and buying a bag of biscuits, eating a couple outside the cafe, and then going in to see who was there.
There were a bunch of kiwibikers there: sAsLEX, MadDuck, Yarg, Chris, Firefight, Andrew, and a bunch of other guys (sorry, I didn't introduce myself or get your names). I sat in the corner and talked a bit with Yarg.
Firefight came and explained where we were going to go, he said something about turning off somewhere, and then going down a bit of motorway, and then there would be this nice bit of road with twisties and no cops (as you can see, I didn't really understand it... :o ). I'm not really familiar with the area, so I just figured I'd follow the guy in front, and since there would be people waiting at the intersections, I thought it would be ok.

So we all get on the bikes and get onto the motorway.

The first thing I noticed is that I was having trouble accelerating as fast as the guys in front of me ;).
So I followed them a bit behind. Most people were in the fast lane, then some people changed into the left lane and went off the Drury (I think) exit, but I noticed one guy kept going straight (it could have been that there were tons more people going ahead of him that I just didn't see). There was a guy stopped by the exit on a silver bike that I thought was someone from kiwibiker, and the guys ahead had turned right and kept going. So I tried to follow them, but the bike seemed to be really gutless, I was doing around 100 in 6th gear at about 8k revs and had the throttle wide open and it didn't seem to be doing anything. So paranoid me was worrying something was wrong. Someone rode past me at warp speed which kinda surprised me because I hadn't seen them coming. It was pretty cool though.
Anyway, up ahead was another intersection and some guys were stopped there, so I stopped too and tried to listen to my bike to see if I could hear anything wrong. I had earplugs in, which I don't normally use, so I couldn't hear much. The other guys took off (I don't know if they were guys from kiwibiker or not...), and I sat there for a bit, before deciding that there probably wasn't anything wrong with it and to just keep going. If I'm remembering things in the right order, I think I caught up with some bikers at a roundabout, one went right and the others (2 or three) went straight ahead. I went right and sat at the side of the road again, thinking "what the heck am I doing?". I turned around and followed where the other riders went, but they were long gone. I kept going for a while, on the off chance that they were the people that I was supposed to be following and that there would be someone waiting up ahead, but after not seeing anyone for ages, and then ending up in Mercer, I decided I was lost. I turned off at the gas station, and that was as far as I went on this ride. I txted Firefight to let him know what I'd done. Hopefully I didn't cause any worry/trouble.

Everyone else is still out on the ride as far as I know. They've got a beautiful day for it.

I might go for a ride along Scenic drive later today with my brother.

I'm a bit annoyed with myself about this, and kinda embarrassed. And I'm wondering where I went wrong, if it was that first turn off, or if maybe I just got to far behind.

Oh well. Hopefully there will be a next time and it'll go better.

XRNR
3rd April 2004, 15:42
Hey Eric,
Pity about your ride,
Lots of riders lots of wrong turns for lots of people, A bit bigger group than usual.
Best to team up with someone next time & stick with them, then if you get lost together what the hell. It will be a good days ride anyway ! (its a bummer when you go out expecting a group ride & end up on your own, done that one before)

Sorry Madduck, I feel a bit guilty but I had a rather slow ride down & didn't want another one back up.
Try pairing up with Eric for a Ride :)

Anyway, Magic day! I am sure the main group will be well pleased with their day out.

Anyone for Wild Pine tomorrow ??

SPman
3rd April 2004, 16:44
,Lots of riders lots of wrong turns for lots of people, A bit bigger group than usual. Yep, probably the biggest group since the ill fated Paeroa of last year!
Almost missed the first turn off the motorway misself!

Kept up to Ngaruawahia, kept up to Raglan, kept up back to Ngaruawahia. Leaving Ngaruawahia got caught in traffic and when I got past ----they had vanished - heading for Morrinsville with all speed! So after a very pleasant meander through the back roads of NW Waikato, emerged at Ohinewai and trundled (and vibrated and gasped) back home.
Enjoyable ride and putting more faces to names - only 1 ticket (that I know of) and that was rather unfortunate. Outside Ngaruawahia on the return Mr Plod had a stream of bikes go past and (sorry, forgot name, new guy on Yellow VTR) who is ambling along at the rear gets pinged for 115k! There aint no justice out there!

SPman
3rd April 2004, 17:00
More....... Pix

6Chris6
3rd April 2004, 17:05

:laugh: Join the club brother, I did the same :- second stretch of motorway following bike in fast lane overtaking cages daydreaming a bit when guy in front swerves over to off ramp and i was too late :argh: but met up with guys at naruwahia bp (after ridin state highway 1 :doh: )and came back with xnrnr and mad duck as had to be back in town for 3.
Cheers xnxr for ridin with me.
Sorry mad duck but wanted to try and get used to bike.

Seem to have lost testicles (ridin like a granny on new 600 bit too much power for me at moment) if anyone finds said testicles can you clean them up for me and pm me so i can pick them up.
Cheers
Chris :laugh:

Ps So come on guys who was leading the pack dying to know who was the quickest of the quickest!!

SPman
3rd April 2004, 17:19
Ps So come on guys who was leading the pack dying to know who was the quickest of the quickest!! Sure as hell weren't me! - although I did enjoy the Ngaruawahia to Raglan road!(except for a bit of brain fade mid corner on a couple - had sudden doubts just exactly which direction they went and how tight they were....dont you hate it when that happens!) :cool:
That sure is a Green powerful lookin GSX250 you got their Chris! :bleh:

MikeL
3rd April 2004, 17:38
Slow bike + new rear tyre + ultra-cautious rider with painful memories should = boring ride BUT I enjoyed every minute of it. Great day.
:2thumbsup

Zed
3rd April 2004, 18:24

...and went off the Drury (I think) exit, but I noticed one guy kept going straight (it could have been that there were tons more people going ahead of him that I just didn't see). There was a guy stopped by the exit on a silver bike that I thought was someone from kiwibiker
Hi Erick, I was one of those other guys sitting down in the Autobahn.

A number of people missed the exit at Drury at the beginning, I suppose that we should have stuck together a bit more as one big group to start with, but for the first hour or so of the ride there were guys waiting at all major intersections just in case people went the wrong way- and there was someone waiting at the Drury motorway exit. That exit though is immediately after a bend and obviously the stopped KB rider was not seen by some until it was too late to turn off! Such is life.

I'm a bit annoyed with myself about this, and kinda embarrassed. And I'm wondering where I went wrong, if it was that first turn off, or if maybe I just got to far behind.

Oh well. Hopefully there will be a next time and it'll go better.
We live and learn, and as has been said, this group was larger than the normal 4-8 that turn up for these rides...next time I'm sure there will be a more clearer game plan for the newbies to KB rides! Don't feel too bad. :done:

Zed

MadDuck
3rd April 2004, 19:11
Hey now worries XRNR and 6Chris6
I knew there was no way in hell I would be able to keep up with you so best you just go. I got back to Whangaparaoa before 3pm I must add after many stops due to sore arms :shifty:

Well was a great day and as the only chick there (oh and boy did I stand out!) I at least got the first turn off right. Having listened to FF briefing it was stowed my memory banks but I got caught in fast lane before Rama Rama and was not prepared to upset another truck driver.

So alas I was lost in the middle of an area I know freek all about. Followed some windy road and thought bugger this. Stopped just before Tuakau for a nicotine fix to soothe the nerves and blow me away another lost KBer turned up. Now MD has to remember exactly where FF told us we were going - yikes! I will not act blond was the first thing that came to mind :o Tried to txt FF but must have been busy actually riding....

We decided to try and catch the group up going via SH1...poo hoo! And after a bit of tiky touring wow we caught up at the Raglan turn off. Hope you guys had a great ride out as I decided to head for home.

As I was potting along quite happily taking in the view I thought of the visa ad on tv.....Just for KBers
Ride like a nana = 200 kmph
New bike so taking it easy = 200 kmph
Sticking to speed limit = 200 kmph
Finding the pack at the raglan turnoff (for my lost riding buddy) PRICELESS!!!!

Thanks for a great day ...damn 7 hours on the bike. But I doubt I will go on another KB ride as the speed is just way out there for me. Having said that it is always great to try new things.

By the way - funniest thing heading home. Stopped at BP Bombay and some stoopid women drives off without removing pump from car... :shit: Well it made me damn well laugh

Zed
3rd April 2004, 19:27

Firefight :wacko:Thanks for a great ride all you KB's who were present today- good turn out, I counted an average of 15 bikes with up to 20 at one stage!

Bikes present (forgive me if I miss you out):
SV1000
GSXR1000
R1
VTR1000 X 2
TL1000R
MV AGUSTA F4 STRADA
ZX-9R
YZF750
R6
CBR600
GSXR600
ZX-6R
95 XR
HONDA CB1
CBR250RR
VTR250
FZR250

Great weather, awesome roads, an all-round brilliant ride.

Very happy with the performance of my new CBR600, riding with the 1000cc bikes gave me the perfect opportunity to open it up and see what she's made of...pretty humbling on the straights though :eek5:

Good to put a face to many names. Thanks goes to Dave for organising this successful ride.

Zed

Zed
3rd April 2004, 19:29
Thanks for a great ride all you KB's who were present today- good turn out, I counted an average of 16 bikes with up to 22 at one stage! Great weather, awesome roads, an all-round brilliant ride.

Very happy with the performance of my new CBR600, riding with the 1000cc bikes gave me the perfect opportunity to open it up and see what she's made of...pretty humbling on the straights though :eek5:

Good to put a face to many names. Thanks goes to Dave for organising this successful ride.

Zed
More pics of Ngaruawahia & Raglan today.

Lord Pac
3rd April 2004, 19:59
man it sounded like an awesome day!

nice pics! :niceone:

whos mv brutale? nice.... :yes:

Zed
3rd April 2004, 19:59
...only 1 ticket (that I know of) and that was rather unfortunate. Outside Ngaruawahia on the return Mr Plod had a stream of bikes go past and (sorry, forgot name, new guy on Yellow VTR) who is ambling along at the rear gets pinged for 115k! There aint no justice out there!
LOL (not laughing at the guy who got ticketed) I/we passed 2 HP police cars going the other way today and on both occasions I was doing 140kmph!! Now that was lucky...:sweatdrop

Zed
3rd April 2004, 20:04
man it sounded like an awesome day!

nice pics! :niceone:

whos mv brutale? nice.... :yes:
That belonged to bikerboy...so where were u 2day paco?? Would have been good 2 see another R1 out there. :bleh:

SPman
3rd April 2004, 20:04
LOL (not laughing at the guy who got ticketed) I/we passed 2 HP police cars going the other way today and on both occasions I was doing 140kmph!! Now that was lucky...:sweatdrop One of those wasnt just before Bombay was it? I was coming down through 125, but Dave (and you fast guys) was 160..ish! I think the cop didnt want to know! :eek5:

Lord Pac
3rd April 2004, 20:05
mate i sold my gear to buy leathers! and off course i have none at the mo.

so prob go out and get some temp riding gear- will definitely be in action next weekend- weather permitting! ;)

BritStorm
3rd April 2004, 20:55
A day of firsts for me. First ride out with KB :apint: , this is my first posting on the site and I got my first ticket in six years of riding - 20 pionts and $80 :Oops: By the time I got the ticket, I'd given up on trying to keep up and was just ambling along at my usual pace and bingo! you're nicked.

As the fine is the same as the cost of a track day, I think I'll try one as soon as I can.

Still a great day out and good to see so many people.

erik
3rd April 2004, 20:58
Best to team up with someone next time & stick with them, then if you get lost together what the hell.

:) that sounds like a good idea, I'll keep that in mind next time.

It's good to know I wasn't the only one that got lost ;)

From what you guys have said, it kinda sounds like I was right to get off at the Drury exit? If so, then that means if I hadn't sat around worrying about whether my bike was running right and whether I was following the right people, then I would have probably been ok... :doh:

Zed, I recognised your bike outside the cafe (looks nice btw), I was wondering which one in the cafe you were, but we were never introduced.

Very happy with the performance of my new CBR600, riding with the 1000cc bikes gave me the perfect opportunity to open it up and see what she's made of...pretty humbling on the straights though

Does that mean there was a big difference in top speed between the CBR600 and the 1000cc bikes, or acceleration, or ?

I did end up going for a ride along Scenic Drive with my brother this afternoon. It was fun, but the road isn't the greatest quality, it's kinda narrow, and most of the corners are blind. Still, I prefer that to riding along a straight piece of motorway.

Anyway, even though I got lost, it was still fun, I look forward to trying it again sometime (minus the getting lost bit hopefully ;) ).

erik
3rd April 2004, 21:04
As I was potting along quite happily taking in the view I thought of the visa ad on tv.....Just for KBers
Ride like a nana = 200 kmph
New bike so taking it easy = 200 kmph
Sticking to speed limit = 200 kmph
Finding the pack at the raglan turnoff (for my lost riding buddy) PRICELESS!!!!

LOL :) Good one MadDuck

XRNR
3rd April 2004, 21:09
...Zed, I recognised your bike outside the cafe (looks nice btw), I was wondering which one in the cafe you were, but we were never introduced...
Its easy to spot Zed, hes the one that posts lots :)

MadDuck
3rd April 2004, 21:10
ZED! You should have come up and said hullo...or you too shy to meet Erik and I ?
I am not that scary and would have been a great chance to meet. Cool you had a good day and gr8 pics. Ummm none of me ...whew

XRNR
3rd April 2004, 21:18
...and I got my first ticket in six years of riding - 20 pionts and $80 :Oops: By the time I got the ticket, I'd given up on trying to keep up and ...
Bummer

The wolf picks off the sheep at the back.
A. Don't be at the back.
B. If your at the back do the speed limit.

Read this post, it might make sense now ! (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=25144&postcount=12)

MikeL
3rd April 2004, 22:53
I got my first ticket in six years of riding - 20 pionts and $80

Sorry to hear that. And we were talking at lunch about how the U.K was overrun with speed cameras and cops with lasers... Ironic, really.

For relative freedom from the unwanted attentions of mr plod, stick to Highway 22. So little traffic it's obviously not worth their while.

sAsLEX
3rd April 2004, 23:01
ZED thats a 250RR, Details! Um so was a good ride all up, the chicken strips are alot smaller now, only like a foot big now!!, as always Motoracer was the one who was only ever seen while stopped or going backwards to do the raglan hills again!! Perfect day and a perfect ride in all accounts, had a bit of a stop in morrinsville but thats riding!!

Some good pics! only have to ask FF what a cop does when you pass him at double the speed limit :bye: :bye:??

Zed
3rd April 2004, 23:14
ZED! You should have come up and said hullo...or you too shy to meet Erik and I ?
I am not that scary and would have been a great chance to meet. Cool you had a good day and gr8 pics. Ummm none of me ...whew
We did have a brief introduction in the Autobahn before leaving...if you had been with us at Ngaruawahia or Raglan we could have engaged in a more meaningful conversation.

Sorry you got left behind/lost, etc. :whistle:

Zed

Zed
3rd April 2004, 23:33
...Does that mean there was a big difference in top speed between the CBR600 and the 1000cc bikes, or acceleration, or ?...
Yes, top speeds on the straights- forget trying to keep up with a GSXR1000 when you are riding a 600cc bike! (makes sense being nearly twice the engine size but not much heavier) :thud: I witnessed this 1st hand at Pukekohe when Kiwistorm was reaching 299kmph+ on the back straights!

Zed

Motoracer
4th April 2004, 01:29
Shit yea, yesterday (Saturday) was mint! I won't spoil it for Andrew cause he might want to do a big write up. Thanx for the co guys, it was nice to put faces to a few names. Special thanx to the guys who helped me repair the puncture. Also thanx a mill to FF for putting together an awesome ride!

Firefight
4th April 2004, 07:21
Okay, were to start ?, I guess firstly, sorry to those who took the time to come with us and got lost, my fault for asumming everyone would have my level of local knowledge, also I did not think so many would turn up, I will be more careful with briefing next time. we did spend a fair bit of time waiting as promised, but to no avail :( , anyway for those who are interested the route was. Autobahn to Drury off ramp, Old GSR via ramarama to bombay, down exspress way couple of kays, off at the top of the bombay over the overbridge and down the winding"Ridge road"" on to the Pokeno-Tuakau rd-Whangarta and over the Tuakau bridge, from there down my personal Favorite 22 to Ngaruawhia, after regrouping and picking up a few others and losing a few its off down to Whatawhata and on to Raglin, lucnh and a long chat good to meet some new KBs :grouphug: Then its back to Ngarawhia, yet another stop, down SHW 1 to Horotu(Stinky) and down the back to Gordonton, down the long starights to morrinsvile to meet with a couple who popped up from Wellington, again due to cir
umstances our group spilt again, for us after a fair time in morrinsville its back via Tahuna, Hoe-o-tainui and on to the exspress way at Ohinewai, down to rangariri, split again 3 down the main road, MR and I over the bridge and down via Rangriri-glenmurray conection rd onto 22, Yeha :innocent: back to tuakau ,, buckland, up to Bombay for coffee with our mates.
That was the route !

Highlights, meeting new KBers, Great weather, no accidents, winding up boy racers in Morrinsville,.

In my humble opinion, the KB riders of day. Mike L for getting back into it so soon after his off, XRNR :innocent: :2thumbsup keeping Mike company, but to top it all MY good mate :devil2: :devil2: :devil2:
Ändrew"' who managed to lure a boy racer into a ticket"', nice one mate !!

No doubt Andrew will post a few pages about some of the other interesting things that happened, ....
Thanks again everyone for a great day

Firefight. :crazy:

wkid_one
4th April 2004, 08:06
You shoulda carried on through to Kawhia - nicer road than the Raglan Road...esp mid ride.

Firefight
4th April 2004, 08:18
Some good pics! only have to ask FF what a cop does when you pass him at double the speed limit :bye: :bye:??

Yeah unbelivable ! the :Police: leaned out the window of his car and gave Motorracer and I the fingers !!, we were just at the end of the huntly exspressway and only saw him in the dark at the last minute, I don''t know if I should ring up and complain. ?

Firefight :Pokey:

Two Smoker
4th April 2004, 10:53
Yeah unbelivable ! the :Police: leaned out the window of his car and gave Motorracer and I the fingers !!, we were just at the end of the huntly exspressway and only saw him in the dark at the last minute, I don''t know if I should ring up and complain. ?

Firefight :Pokey:You should, incompetence and stupidity, oh and i forgot he was jealous hehehe

Firefight
4th April 2004, 13:05
You shoulda carried on through to Kawhia - nicer road than the Raglan Road...esp mid ride.

I had thought about that Dan, but we had arranged to meet with Lynda and Hamish at Morrinsville, so gave it a miss due to time, but yes I agree it is a better choice, have you also done from there back to Waitomo ?, that is also a great ride.

F/F

wkid_one
4th April 2004, 16:20
Yeah - used to play around there quite a bit.....shit through there in summer tho - roads get to tarry.

Andrew
4th April 2004, 18:14
Yeah - used to play around there quite a bit.....shit through there in summer tho - roads get to tarry.

Ya reckon?

Coldkiwi
4th April 2004, 23:40

Firefight :Pokey:

FF: if all he did was wave a few digits at you, i'd be stoked! anything but another ticket or a crash and i count it as a great ride :)

zed: lack of cc doesn't automatically mean you have to give up. just means you have to probe them a little to see if they know how to use it :ride: Some guys do, many do not. for instance, first time I was out at pukekohe i had great fun overtaking a speed triple on my zxr (What the-?)in all sorts of places even though he should've dumped on me. beating bigger bikes is very rewarding and worth trying so long as you stay within abilities.
and if you can't get past you've always got the excuse ready :)

andrew: you got a boy racer busted? right on!! :Punk:

sounds like a good, if some what chaotic ride was had. Bummer i missed it but i'll do me best to make the next one.

Shawn
4th April 2004, 23:53
feck feck feck....

i lost u guys within 5 mins as i missed the first exit... :angry2:

so i took a ride up to whangarei....wasn't bad at all...

meet Motoracer at the gas station in the morning before we started.

PLSASE arrange another ride ASAP!!!

Zed
5th April 2004, 00:03
zed: lack of cc doesn't automatically mean you have to give up. just means you have to probe them a little to see if they know how to use it
Oh I didn't give up CK, and I probed...I probed. You should see my newish tyres after that ride- they look worn in now!! It would have been good to have you accompany us- young Motoracer rides in a similar style to you, maybe a tad more adventurous around blind corners though.:confused:

BTW it doesn't take much skill to power it out on the straights, and most 1000cc sportsbikes will pull away from the 600cc's in the higher gears :crazy: (we're talking about real high road speeds here).

Zed

LB
5th April 2004, 06:14
It was nice to meet up with all you guys at Morrinsville and put a face to the names. Thanks for organising this FF.

Hope you didn't have to wait too much longer to get the puncture fixed Motoracer. I'm going to see Johann at lunchtime today to see his new bike so will tell him I've met you.

On our way back home yesterday (Sunday) we met up with K14 at Inglewood for lunch - nice to meet you too K14.

We had a great ride up and back, another 1300kms on the Monster (and Hamish's Suzuki)

Andrew: how did those photos come out?

Firefight
5th April 2004, 07:33
FF: if all he did was wave a few digits at you, i'd be stoked! anything but another ticket or a crash and i count it as a great ride :)

andrew: you got a boy racer busted? right on!! :Punk:

sounds like a good, if some what chaotic ride was had. Bummer i missed it but i'll do me best to make the next one.

Your right CK, it was a great ride, sadly one of us did get a ticket, however many more got off , as I recall the group I was with missed out on two hefty tickets, one at old GSR ramarama 165ish!, 100 area, and coming back from Whatawhata 130 approaching the 50 area, and then later that night MR and I
190ish in the 100, so yeah getting the fingers from him was not that upsetting.

F/F :D

Andrew
5th April 2004, 10:10
Your right CK, it was a great ride, sadly one of us did get a ticket, however many more got off , as I recall the group I was with missed out on two hefty tickets, one at old GSR ramarama 165ish!, 100 area, and coming back from Whatawhata 130 approaching the 50 area, and then later that night MR and I
190ish in the 100, so yeah getting the fingers from him was not that upsetting.

F/F :D

Might be time to trade your bike in for a GN125 for a while?

Firefight
5th April 2004, 10:18
Might be time to trade your bike in for a GN125 for a while?

Ah so they have computers in the student pubs, I thought as much !

Andrew
5th April 2004, 10:24
Ah so they computers in the student pubs, I thought as much !

Doubt it. Pub doesn't open till 11am. In which case I guess I should crack on with an assignment.

duckman
5th April 2004, 10:29
Hi all, Well thanks to everyone who helped make this ride possible - I certainly enjoyed myself.
I was given a quick sharp lesson on how to take corners by Motoracer :crazy: and spent most of the day trying to keep Spankme within eyeshot.

Cheers guys, and I'll see at the next one!! :Punk:

Coldkiwi
5th April 2004, 12:20
Oh I didn't give up CK, and I probed...I probed. You should see my newish tyres after that ride- they look worn in now!! It would have been good to have you accompany us- young Motoracer rides in a similar style to you, maybe a tad more adventurous around blind corners though.:confused:

BTW it doesn't take much skill to power it out on the straights, and most 1000cc sportsbikes will pull away from the 600cc's in the higher gears :crazy: (we're talking about real high road speeds here).

Zed

good on ya mate :) I like to think i'm a little cautious around blind corners but everynow and then i have an experience that suggests thats not the case (knee all the way down drifting wide on a left hander - oops, theres a car!).
I agree about the cc difference but i think its more often than not driven by who's brave enough to open the tap properly and use what they've got. As is generally the way, few of us probably use our bikes to their full ability even when trying (me included- Pukekohe showed me that!).

Andrew
5th April 2004, 23:01
OK FF you can stop you're moaning now. Hey Hamish you better watch out FF has taken a shine to Lynda!! :love:

Andrew
5th April 2004, 23:05
More photos... Lyna had a very nice pair of $699 sun glasses. FF was very dissapointed when you didn't nominate him to model them for the KB site.

Andrew
5th April 2004, 23:08
FF slashed MR's tyre. Now why would you want to buy time to hang around Morrinsville - beats me? Hey Lynda did you enjoy your stay with your Father in Morrinsville?

LB
6th April 2004, 06:12
Thanks for the piccies Andrew.

Yep, the few hours we spent in M'ville were good.

A great ride both up and back. No tickets that we're aware of, and can't wait till Easter (though the weather sounds like it might be crap.....)

Motoracer
6th April 2004, 10:27
With a wee bit of imagination, this pic can look a bit rude. :laugh:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1507

And thats my hand holding it too :doh:

k14
6th April 2004, 10:55
Hahahaha, nice one motoracer.

6Chris6
6th April 2004, 17:19
With a wee bit of imagination, this pic can look a bit rude. :laugh:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1507

And thats my hand holding it too :doh:
:laugh: :laugh:
Hey Andrew whats the story with the boy racer?

MadDuck
6th April 2004, 22:31
It was nice to meet up with all you guys at Morrinsville and put a face to the names. Thanks for organising this FF.

Would have been great to met up with you too Linda if I could find my damn way out of..where the hell was I? Oh somewhere near Puke :kick:

Andrew
6th April 2004, 22:40
:laugh: :laugh:
Hey Andrew whats the story with the boy racer?

While we were waiting for the dumbass tyre repair dude at beaurepairs.
I was passing time by shit stirring the boy racers. Now these boy racers just seem to loop the town every 5 mins, a very SAD existance in your teen life if you ask me.

Anyway managed to wind up one guy. I chased him up the main drag and round the corner into a parking lot. In the carpark was a cop which instantly put on his lights pulled the boy racer up. I didn't stick around to find out what happened next. I did a U turn and was out of there like a shot. :sweatdrop
Good feeling and a good laugh.

6Chris6
7th April 2004, 17:03
While we were waiting for the dumbass tyre repair dude at beaurepairs.
I was passing time by shit stirring the boy racers. Now these boy racers just seem to loop the town every 5 mins, a very SAD existance in your teen life if you ask me.

Anyway managed to wind up one guy. I chased him up the main drag and round the corner into a parking lot. In the carpark was a cop which instantly put on his lights pulled the boy racer up. I didn't stick around to find out what happened next. I did a U turn and was out of there like a shot. :sweatdrop
Good feeling and a good laugh.

:kick: :niceone:

Firefight
9th April 2004, 07:13
I think I'll just come for a quick one till lunch to meet all the new peeps and head back early.

Yeah right :rolleyes:

F/F

Motoracer
9th April 2004, 09:32
Yeah right :rolleyes:

F/F

LOL, Got to Auckland at about 7 or 8 PM I think!!

Andrew
9th April 2004, 10:34
LOL, Got to Auckland at about 7 or 8 PM I think!!

Then what nonsense did you get up to when you got back...............

Motoracer
9th April 2004, 15:50
Then what nonsense did you get up to when you got back...............

The same thing you did, ofcourse!