PDA

View Full Version : Season starting up here

bgd
29th March 2004, 22:14
Used to having the roads pretty much to myself, but not yesterday. Bikes everywhere. Clocks have changed and that must be the signal for all the summer bikers to get their machines out of storage and hit the roads. Plod bikes were out in force as well.

Looks like the 'season' has started.

Wenier
30th March 2004, 15:47
Ah true we dont have so much of a bike problem here its the amount of cagers on the roads we like! :)

erik
30th March 2004, 18:12
Used to having the roads pretty much to myself, but not yesterday. Bikes everywhere. Clocks have changed and that must be the signal for all the summer bikers to get their machines out of storage and hit the roads. Plod bikes were out in force as well.

Looks like the 'season' has started.

You had me confused there for a bit, then I saw you're in the UK ;)

Even though the summer is ended here, there seem to be quite a few bikes on the roads, like I saw more out there today than I usually do.

bgd
30th March 2004, 20:33
We are now on our 3rd dry sunny day in a row.

I commute from Kent into London and very rarely see another bike on the country stretch during the winter. This morning I saw 5. A neighbour with a Buell rode into work for the first time. Bike park was much busier than ususal so from now on there will be a lot more bikes on the road.

Over here a lot of riders only ride in the summer and a lot of those only on the weekends. I was on an advanced course recently and everybody was asked about their level of experience. I was one of the the beginners with only a couple of years riding. What was interesting was the annual mileage. Of the 15 on the course 80% did less than 1k miles a year. I do about 25k miles so had done more miles than most of the guys who had 15+ years of experience.

Is it the same in NZ? Lots of Sunday riders on the road who disappear when the weather turns?

Two Smoker
30th March 2004, 21:43
I ride all the time like yourself... Ive done about 10-11000km's already in the past 4 months and i regularly do 300-700kms a week... Therefore experience should be done of milage rather than time......

expat bj
30th March 2004, 21:46
Hi bgd,
After I moved here in 2001 i noticed that many riders only ride in summer and at weekends. Back in NZ I rode every day, a 70 mile commute to work, 6 days a week and then rides in the weekend. My first RF900 I did 64000 miles in 2 years.
Over here I commute every day apart from in the snow, fell off my Millie in 2002, but other wise everyday all weather. Just starting to look for roads to ride in the weekends.

bgd
30th March 2004, 22:08
I also left the bike home when it snowed. It was only 2 days, though. If I had to drive to work (which I used to do) I'd go insane. Today, for example, would have taken me 3hrs+ to get in because of trouble at the Blackwall. Took me about 40mins on the bike!

bgd
31st March 2004, 00:07
a timely link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3580983.stm)