PDA

View Full Version : What brake pads

Sparkz
10th February 2006, 19:36
My Fizzer Thou brakes are on their last legs, and braking performance really sucks, so its decision time.

1. Get a complete R6 front brake system (with good pads) off eBay for around $150 to $200. I put these on my Fizzer 750, and they work great. Everything just bolts on, except the reseviour which needs a bracket made

2. Fit some decent pads to the original calipers and hope they work better.

Questions are, do I need to have the mod certified if I fit the R6 brakes?

Should the '87 FZR 1000 brakes be shite, or will they be better with decent pads?

What pads give better stopping power, and where do I get them?

F5 Dave
13th February 2006, 16:47
I have R6/R1 brakes on my YZF750. They came std on my model. . . Well at least it would be hard to prove otherwise.

They are so much better than the 6 potters & they were better than the old FZR 4 potters.

To get yours back to spec you would need to clean all the pistons, strip the callipers & clean much away + new pads & probably lines, though the R6 ones may be too short for the taller FZR front end.

To be honest if you went to a VIN site they may say not legal for bike, but how many cops would spot it & how many WOF stations would pick it up or complain?

imdying
13th February 2006, 17:29
Ha! I doubt many VIN sites would pick it up either!

/edit: Totally legal, yes you need them certified. I do feel that even the most concientous person could sleep at night after making that swap without certification. Yamaha, parts bin company that they are, are quite good at having bits that are interchangable. And lets face it, they're only one bit of metal bolted to another. If you're using the whole shebang (calipers and mcyl) then they'll probably work a treat... hey, you've actually done it before, so you've got a heck of a lot more knowledge an experience in it than most! The FZR is a bit of a whale, it should stop smartly, but nothing out

Sparkz
14th February 2006, 20:56
Right, problem sorted.

Pulled the calipers off and got the pads out. The pads were the original (19 year old :blink:) Sumitomo pads and completely knackered. The bike has only done 15k.

After a good clean and rubber-grease, the pistons all move smoothly.

I just realised, Paeroa is on Sunday and I won't get new calipers from the states in time, so I ordered some SBS HF pads from Motohaus and Kerry dropped them by tonight on his way home. Bloody amazing service!!!!

I will stuff the new pads in tomorrow and see how we go.

By the way, the SBS Ceramics are recommended for my bike and SBS have a warning on their website to NEVER fit sintered pads to a bike that was not originally fitted with them. Anyone know why? Do they screw the rotors over, and if so how are the new bike rotors different???

R1madness
15th February 2006, 07:48
I used EBC CFK pads (the ones with the blue backing plate) in mine. They were great. The SBS should be fine as well.
Sintered pads are hard on disks that were not made for them even though they work fine. The disks are a different metalic makeup.
Run the new pads in gently. Do not overheat them. Replace your brake fluid as well. Use DOT4 fluid.

Sparkz
15th February 2006, 20:50
Got the new pads in tonight and they are bloody brilliant!

The bike stops just as well as my 750 did with the R6 calipers.

greenman
15th February 2006, 21:09
So long as it looks ok the VIN people don't mind at all, I swopped a zx10 front end onto my gpz900 and all they pulled it up on was the brake lines being the wrong type, ie braided with no approval numbers etc.
I went from 16" front wheel with 38mm antidive forks to 17' front wheel with 41mm forks.

DEATH_INC.
18th February 2006, 04:00
I ran Ferodo supersport pads in my thou when I had it and could stand it on it's nose with two fingers.....I still have the same pads in the turbo with the fizzer bits and they even stop that ok.....