PDA

View Full Version : Peugeot info?

StoneChucker
10th February 2006, 22:07
Hey guys

Yeah, I'm still alive, still stewing at home:msn-wink:
Anyone have any experience, feelings, advice about the Peugeot 407 V6? The '06 model, I'm swinging towards that away from what I thought were my final 2 choices (for finally getting out of bed, and ACC taxis, and back on my own to feet, or 4 wheels as it would be)... The 407 seems more classy:blah: (to make up for my lack thereof)

I know the 407 Coupe GT would be the obvious choice, but I can't/won't justify spending that:oi-grr:

Just looking for advice to avoid disappointment. Cheers.
Dave.

Yeh... why not a VW Golf?

Motu
10th February 2006, 22:33
Jeez,I just spent the early part of this week talking a mate out of buying a Peugeot - I'm not doing it again,you're on your own.....

Shadows
10th February 2006, 22:44
Not only is it Eurotrash... its worse.... its French!!!! Don't do it man!!!!

limbimtimwim
10th February 2006, 23:13
Just looking for advice to avoid disappointment. Cheers.Me mum has a pug 306, yes, I know, not the same car by a long way.

And she's had a few problems with it. The little arm in the passenger door that stops it opening too far and holds it steady is held in by a stupid pin (It's a bad design) and it's fallen out a few times. The engine computer went crazy and decided that idle was at 3500rpm. It developed rattles pretty quick in the dash. The carpet came away just slightly in the front passenger footwell. The service here in Wellington has been on the useless side. One time she took it to their dealer service place, and asked for a lift to work, they said 'Sure!', went out the back.. And got in her car! Which made her wonder about WTF these guys were up to. She made up her mind she doesn't like them much, so doesn't go to the Peugeot people anymore. And I've never been able to make my mind up about if I liked the (Manual, 5 speed) gearbox or not. It does a few too many rpms at 100km/h, which doesn't help fuel consumption. Put your foot down and it can drink petrol like crazy. It also reckons it needs 96 fuel. And the A/C drinks petrol in a nasty fashion.

Having said that, it's great to chuck around the corners, but the suspension isn't hard. The seats are really really really good on long trips. The engine feels quite strong for a 16 valver. And that thirsty A/C does have an upshot, it could freeze you to death in of the outback of Australia if you asked it to. The paintwork still looks great, and it's 6 years old now and she doesn't give it any attention. And as far as I can remember, nothing serious has ever busted since the warranty has ended, so it can't be that bad. I think that it will have kept it's value better than the equivalent Jap car. Oh yeah, the automatic rain sensing wipers are really good, it's hard to describe how they behave, but basically you leave it on auto and it does the right thing 99% of the time.

Flyingpony
13th February 2006, 11:35
One time she took it to their dealer service place, and asked for a lift to work, they said 'Sure!', went out the back.. And got in her car! Which made her wonder about WTF these guys were up to.
If you ask for a lift to work they nearly always use your car, unless it's bust or already getting worked on - yes some places are that quick.

Hitcher
13th February 2006, 11:47
My folks have got a 407. A fabulous car to drive. Jammed to the lid with all the whistles and bells. Fabulous auto -- great in sport mode! Buy it.

HDTboy
13th February 2006, 11:48
Dude, it's French. And it's a front driver

Fatjim
13th February 2006, 12:40
I'd have to say, being the owner of a pug 306, that I'd rather have a Honda. I just don't rate the Pug reliability wise.

Drunken Monkey
13th February 2006, 12:47
Bets on for how long before Spankme burns this thread...?

bungbung
13th February 2006, 13:02
You'll be able to claim on warranty if it's a new 'un. Go and drive one and see what you think. I think they look pretty cool.

crashe
13th February 2006, 13:05
Stonechucker...... great to see you again.

Sorry I don't know anything about that brand of vehicle.

All the best in finding the right car for you.
It must be hard finding the right car for your needs and also with the power that you want.

Finn
13th February 2006, 13:09
Hey Stone,

I must admit it's a good looking car but having driven a few Peugeot's I think there are some better cars out there for the money. If you can wait a while, the new Alfa 159 is going to be a fantastic car for similar money.

During a recent RAT (Rental Abuse Tour) in europe, I picked up a 307 and I can tell you my mum's old Morris 1100 had more spunk.

If you really need to get into a car really soon, $70k would get you a really good used Audi/BMW if you want to stay european.

I'm looking at a garage overhall now and there's just so much choice out there!!! Tuff call.

Finn
13th February 2006, 13:10
Yeh... why not a VW Golf?

Hey, the poor guy is recovering and you're calling him a homo? Back off buddy, that was a low blow.

MrMelon
13th February 2006, 13:31
Why not go for a recent 2nd hand turbo or v8 audi? Much classier than the pug, probably a million times more fun and you could find something within your budget. I cna only find manual s4's but I'm sure you could track down something similar in auto :D

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Audi/auction-37333554.htm

enigma51
13th February 2006, 13:45
we have the 307 (2003) which was swapped out for a new 307.

Why i hear you ask cause the fucking thing was in the shop almost every day so they swapped it out for a new one (2005). Its the wifes car so i try not to stick my nose especialy since i told her in the begining it a shit car and I my face got smashed in about saying its crap.

Sniper
13th February 2006, 14:35
Just caught up with this thread. Dave, I have spoken to my mate who works at a Pukejoe dealer. DON'T BUY ONE unless you want it to spend half its lifetime in the shop. He said he has one there that they sold a month ago and it was in the shop 6 days after they bought it. Its still there now.

Don't do it mate.

Ixion
13th February 2006, 14:37
Do you want this cage for relaible economic transport, or for having a shit load of fun. If the latter, get a V6 Alfa. If the former, get a Jap anything.

enigma51
13th February 2006, 14:46
Do you want this cage for relaible economic transport, or for having a shit load of fun. If the latter, get a V6 Alfa. If the former, get a Jap anything.

an alfa?

Buy the peugot its will spend much less time in the workshop

Just so you know a alfa actualy comes with an oil pan as to not dirty your garage floor

C_A
13th February 2006, 14:53
new pugs look terrible. jump on an early 90s 205gti :P

Ixion
13th February 2006, 14:58
an alfa?

Buy the peugot its will spend much less time in the workshop

Just so you know a alfa actualy comes with an oil pan as to not dirty your garage floor
Mine doesn't leak. And the trick with Alfas is, you don't take them to the workshop when something goes awry. You just either (a) remove the battery and put it back (b) lower the windows and put them back up, and open and close the boot and bonnet (c) replace (easy) the air flow meter (d) just wait a few days.

Not joking , these seem to fix about 90% of Alfa problems. Works for me.

Other things like the clutch that doesn't work for the first few kilometre, you just accept them.

It's an Alfa thing. If Juan Manuel Fangio , he no'a complain, who'a you to be complaining.

Like I say, a shit load of fun. So long as you have another (jap) vehicle to fall back on

StoneChucker
14th February 2006, 13:14
FU#K, I typed out heaps and the webpage fu#ked out! Ok, take 2:

Thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate it.

I was looking forward to getting the Peugeot 407 V6, since it is the sports flagship model in the 407 range, and I think it exudes class and prestige. I like that there aren't that many out on the roads. It is really safe (top safety rating), has heaps of features/accessories and looks great outside and in, from what I can see. It has 211kw from memory (the ford falcon XR6 turbo has 240, not that much more), which is perfect for what I'm buying it for, open road driving on holidays. From reports here, it's also really comfortable, and durable, another plus.

Hitcher, a reliable informant, hasn't mentioned any flaws/faults so far in the 407, and buying it new comes with the usual warranty, as well as 3 years free servicing and inspections. It's important to point out that the ranges in 407 and up are completely different to the 307 and below. The latest top spec 307 model only comes out with 87kw, so it would seem gutless! The only bad points I've seen here (which don't really apply) is the reliability (under warranty and you get courtessy car) but this is from 307 models and below, from older years models, and the lack of power, again only from experience with 307 ranges and below, and much older years models.

I really want any more stories/experiences/thoughts if anyone else has any. Tell me if I'm wrong in any of my points. The Alfa's are nice, but the models I'm attracted to are out of my "sensible" price range. At some point the price of a car looks like it should rather be used as a deposit on a house!

I guess it's the XR6-T if I want more power and performance to dice cars at lights, or over the hills, something that no longer appeals to me, or the 407V6 if I want to enjoy the ride and relax, and be wow'd by all the feautures/gadgets/looks. I want a new car though, partly because I like the smell and knowing it's always been treated properly, and partly because I don't want to choose from such an almost infinite range, normally trying to find the fastest.

Anyway, till the time comes, I can play with my new horse! yay:yeah:

James Deuce
14th February 2006, 13:33
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-1196661_1,00.html
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-1376145_2,00.html

I know these don't have the engine options you're looking at, but the other flaws uncovered, plus it's standing in the Top Gear poll, make me go: GAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

chickenfunkstar
14th February 2006, 13:38
Not sure if this matters to you but the 407 has 211bhp which is about 155kw. Its also the same weight as the Falcon.

Still a nice car though.

StoneChucker
14th February 2006, 13:47
Thanks, I'll check those links out... I'm not decided yet.

StoneChucker
14th February 2006, 14:08
Ok, so the driving position is crap, and the dashboard feels/looks cheap. And, it's super unreliable... Hmm:shutup: Now I am lost, I guess I have to start looking again :cry:

Oh, thanks for the links. I might get some tips from that site, and ideas on my choices.;)

James Deuce
14th February 2006, 14:20
You're welcome buddy.

Hitcher
14th February 2006, 14:54
Don't forget that the Clarkson reviews are for the diesel version. The three litre V6 is a honey. I don't find the driving position cramped, but then again La Clarkson has a few more cm to squeeze in than do I.

James Deuce
14th February 2006, 15:08
I did say that. :D

bane
14th February 2006, 15:29
no, no ,no

As a long suffering Peugeot 307 owner (and friends with a 607 owner) dont do it... even a "good one", wont be as reliable as the average Jappa... get a bad one (about 50/50), and you might as well live in a caravan at the service centre...

Yes the 407 is safe and well spec'd, but the poor build and reliabilty issues will get you in the end.

the V6 is nothing special (not a patch on the Maxima or Honda V6).

Save yourself a heap of cash and buy a Honda Euro L (~$42k). It has just as much kit, will retain its value better, and even though its only a 4, will out perform the V6.

If you have to go european, have a look at the new VW Passat.

I have saved many people from the mistake of Peugeot ownership, hopefully you can be added to the list.

bigbadwolf
14th February 2006, 15:42
If you go to the CarSurvey (http://www.carsurvey.org/) website they have a lot of reviews of new and used cars from people that have owned them. Quite helpful sometimes.

HDTboy
14th February 2006, 17:07
How much are you looking to spend? I can get you into any new (or used) BMW that takes your fancy

Scouse
14th February 2006, 18:55
Hey guys

Yeah, I'm still alive, still stewing at home:msn-wink:
Anyone have any experience, feelings, advice about the Peugeot 407 V6? The '06 model, I'm swinging towards that away from what I thought were my final 2 choices (for finally getting out of bed, and ACC taxis, and back on my own to feet, or 4 wheels as it would be)... The 407 seems more classy:blah: (to make up for my lack thereof)

I know the 407 Coupe GT would be the obvious choice, but I can't/won't justify spending that:oi-grr:

Just looking for advice to avoid disappointment. Cheers.
Dave.Shitty French crap steer clear

StoneChucker
16th February 2006, 20:24
Hey

Thanks for the input Bane and Bigbadwolf, I'm not getting the Peugeot anymore. I'm back to my first two choices, and hunting on the side.

BMW's are attractive, but I can't get anything other than the 1 series (I'm buying new). The reviews on them have been good tho, but I'm looking at something bigger. (HDTboy, can I put down a LARGE downpayment on an '06 M5, and pay the rest in 45 years?:shifty:)

Skunk
16th February 2006, 20:58
Only just seen first thread - thank ferk you came to your senses. My boss has a 407 (what a shitbox). Noone will drive it, they walk instead or beg for the GM's 307/306? - whatever... and that's bad too.

The other director won't lend his BA to anyone. :no:

StoneChucker
17th February 2006, 23:30
Thank feck for KB, and the knowledgable people thereon!:dodge:

I think I'm sorted now: XR6T (sedan or ute) + towbar + horse float = me and my new hobby. Decided that until I find something else to do, I'm going to enter cat A horse showing, for enjoyment only.

Might stop me twiddling my thumb for a while.

scumdog
17th February 2006, 23:56
Knocked off shift, having a Bundy or three ( yeah yeah I know, I seem to drink every time I'm on KB!).

But how about lookng for a usable practical classic??? The Tardme has heaps, cars that have a wow! factor and don't depreciate, o.k. they may need spanners-on now and then but THAT in itself is good therapy!
PM me and I'll steer you straight.
Why do you think the newest car in the Scumdog fleet is a '84 Laser Ghia??

Horse-float towing? Get a 1956 Ford Mainline ute, comfortable tough ute with CLASS and $20,000 will get you the best one in NZ - and 5 years down the track you'll probably still get that for it - plus a little more.

bungbung
18th February 2006, 10:03
Hi Dave,

Got your horse yet?

The car, does it have to be new? 'coz SD has a point, you can get some pretty cool stuff for many less dollars secon hand. Depreciation on new cars is scary.

James Deuce
18th February 2006, 14:35
New, secondhand, depreciation, none of it matters. You see, we've already paid for it. ;)