PDA

View Full Version : Licenced to LEARN!!!

Rosie
12th February 2006, 08:53
:wari: :wari: :wari: :wari: :wari: :wari: :wari:
I passed my theory test on Friday afternoon!!! I am now allowed loose on the road (in a fairly cautious manner at this stage).
Any good ideas on how to fit the lovely yellow L plate to my bike? I'll need to be able to remove it again quickly, in case Mr R. wants to borrow the bike :whistle:

John Banks
12th February 2006, 10:53
Congrats. I wish you luck and a lot of fun.

I find the best way to attach the L-plate is under the seat. Doesn't come off, then.

parsley
12th February 2006, 11:48
When I got my L plate from the AA it had a couple of velcro stick pads. I put them just under the number plate so I could remove it when I didn't need it (like any time I wasn't doing a test).

JWALKER
12th February 2006, 12:23
well done rosie, that is really good to hear.i found attaching it with te bolts used to hold the reflector on the back of the bike useful, what kind of bike are you using?

Patrick
12th February 2006, 12:47
I found leaving it in the drawer at home worked real well...got it out once to do the restricted test and took it off straight after, never to be seen again...

Rosie
12th February 2006, 16:12
well done rosie, that is really good to hear.i found attaching it with te bolts used to hold the reflector on the back of the bike useful, what kind of bike are you using?

It's a kawasaki KRR 150. I've attached a photo of it's rear end. The rear reflector is just above the number plate, and fits into a little depression in the mudguard, so attaching something else underneath the reflector could be a challenge. And then it would obscure the numberplate (not necessarily a bad thing :devil2: )
The only place I can see to attach it is onto the mudguard below the number plate. That would mean drilling holes in my nice new bike, but I had thought of relocating the rego holder there, so the holes may end up being useful once I have ditched the L plate. Mr R thinks I should shorten the rear mudguard anyway because it looks uncool.

bobsmith
12th February 2006, 17:49
Solution:

L plate + lots of clear packing tape + mudgard just below the plate = L plate installation that looks horrible but is simple and can be taken off with a knife in seconds.

Seriously though, if you're not into drilling holes I found the above method to be rather effective and cheap.

MSTRS
12th February 2006, 19:01
Drill 2 holes on the bottom edge of the nuimber plate & attach it there with cable ties. Easy to cut for removal & cheep to replace. It is only for 6 months if you wanna be legal.

Rosie
13th February 2006, 12:24
It came in the packet, and I was feeling lazy. It will be easy to remove, and could potentially remove itself ("Well officer, I attached it firmly using the velcro supplied, but it must have fallen off" :whistle: )

Hawkeye
13th February 2006, 23:46
Put a hole in the top corner, unscrew the bolt that holds the number plate and attach. Tell Mr R to get his own bike...:devil2:

JWALKER
14th February 2006, 06:33
It came in the packet, and I was feeling lazy. It will be easy to remove, and could potentially remove itself ("Well officer, I attached it firmly using the velcro supplied, but it must have fallen off" :whistle: )

i like that idea rosie, brillant idea:msn-wink:

Rosie
14th February 2006, 07:06
Tell Mr R to get his own bike...:devil2:
He has got his own bike. And it's much bigger than mine. One just needs a convenient excuse for needing to remove the L plate in a hurry. :shifty:
It has been suggested that what I really need is just the broken off stub of an L plate bolted to my bike. Being a silly little girl, it could almost be plausible that my L plate broke of several months beforehand and I never actually noticed...
We'll see how the velcro goes for now.

Odin
14th February 2006, 07:19
Just a quick and certainly untested idea. How about attaching some bulldog clips to the L plate. Then it would be ... eeermm... quick and easy ... to clip on to the plate and very removable.

Crongrats on your plastic and nice looking bike. Have fun out there :2thumbsup