PDA

View Full Version : New rider advice time (want to hear from Hyosung owners)

Insanity_rules
13th February 2006, 06:12
Hey all, well I've done my handling skills and doing my scratch and win today. The battle for my licence will be won.

Anyhow I'm about to lay down my Lord Rutherford party vouchers on my first legal ride and am looking hard at the Hyosung GT250R. Any riders of these care to give me any feedback?

They look the part and I'm going to take one for a test tomorrow after I'm legal. I've riden and owned quite a few older road bikes (illegally, no licence stupid stupid stupid) such greats as Honda VF400F, RG250 and The mighty GS550e LOL so I can ride quite well.

Any advise greatfully recieved

motobull
13th February 2006, 06:57
Had a comet for a bit over a month now.
Realy enjoying it. It's a large size bike for a 250 but feel the riding position is just right for me. I've taken it for some semi-long rides and not felt tired and sore afterwards.
it has enough power to keep me happy, sits on the open road with ease.
Only way to know if its right for you though is to take one out for a ride
If theres anything specific you want to know p.m me:spudbooge

Qman
13th February 2006, 07:06
Had my 250R since December from the guys at Mt Eden. Back and forth between AK and Hamilton each week. I tried a lot of 250's, the hyosung was the only one that felt like a big bike, i felt like a clown on the CBR and price wise you cant lose.

The only issue i have is a flat spot in the power band in third, getting it checked this week.

Take it for a good test ride, its the only way to know.

as above PM me for more.

skelstar
13th February 2006, 07:08
I have done 20000kms over six months.

Theres a few threads about this bike and subject so perhaps rather than me regurgitating PM with specific questions and read the threads :niceone:.

Welcome BTW (if I havent done so already).

BTW - if yer a newbie, come along on the Newbie ride in about a month. Uncle_B seems to be running them each month (on ya B). They are good fun at a newbie pace.

limbimtimwim
13th February 2006, 09:11
Anyhow I'm about to lay down my Lord Rutherford party vouchers on my first legal ride and am looking hard at the Hyosung GT250R. Any riders of these care to give me any feedback?I had a ride on one for a whole day and didn't like it. Well, a Comet. I imagine the Comet is basically the same thing minus the fairing. The brakes were good, but wooden, didn't like the feel. The suspension was firm, but again, I didn't know what was going on down on the road. The riding position was comfy, but it didn't lend itself to going around corners. The engine vibed like crazy, if one has fillings, they will fall out. This also made the mirrors unusable at certain rpms. It had a stupid flatspot somewhere in the rev range which drove me mental. I felt like the centre of gravity was too high for me, but you'd get used to that.

Have you looked at the Honda 1998 onwards VTR250, Honda VT250 Spada, Suzuki Bandit 250 and (rare) Honda Hornet 250? I had a VTR250 and it was good. The Spada and VTR250 have different riding positions, and a totally different look but are basically the same thing.

SwanTiger
13th February 2006, 09:18
I am quite happy riding around on a GT250R, it isn't the most powerful 250cc motorcycle, however it is a cumfy and fun ride. Cornering, braking and genneral handling are good in my opinion. The power that it does put out is enough to hit 140kmph fairly easily on a short straight.

As for the comet, I've only ever heard bad things about it.

Sniper
13th February 2006, 09:20
Advice is spelt with a C :laugh: (pt)

Welcome mate, hope you have a good time

skelstar
13th February 2006, 09:39
Im pretty/very sure that the GT250R and comet share the same parts other than the handlebars and fairing.
As for vibes and mirrors and the like I didnt have a problem...but then I hadnt ridden another bike for months. The flat spot was fixed by getting a different CDI under warranty.

Insanity_rules
13th February 2006, 11:11
Thanks for the Advice and the big cheery welcome guys, I think I may get to be known as the sites bad speller.
Had to book my scratch and win for tomorrow as I failed the eye exam and have to go to the optometrist for a check. AA's test and a lazy eye don't mix.

As soon as I get mobile I want to get out on a ride with y'all as ya seem like a good bunch

Anymore Hyosung feedback really appreciated, I won't purchase till I can ride it for a bit of a distance.

Cheers

Cibby
13th February 2006, 11:15
hmm.. i took the hyosung for a ride about 2 weeks ago, and it was the worst bike i've ridden from a handling/accerlation/braking point of view.. ie it didnt have any.

In fairness it was a bran new bike that had not been run it but it only has 24 horsepower or something stupid like that in comparison with most 250's ie my CBR250rr which has around 43.....

Dont be fooled by pretty fairings. :) p.s how tall are you?

Insanity_rules
13th February 2006, 14:03
hmm.. i took the hyosung for a ride about 2 weeks ago, and it was the worst bike i've ridden from a handling/accerlation/braking point of view.. ie it didnt have any.

In fairness it was a bran new bike that had not been run it but it only has 24 horsepower or something stupid like that in comparison with most 250's ie my CBR250rr which has around 43.....

Dont be fooled by pretty fairings. :) p.s how tall are you?

Im 5'8 in old money, I think thats about 170-172cm tall but I'm used to a larger bike so most 250's make me feel like I'm riding a 10 speed

Qman
14th February 2006, 06:12
[QUOTE=Cibby Chick]
In fairness it was a bran new bike that had not been run it but it only has 24 horsepower or something stupid like that in comparison with most 250's ie my CBR250rr which has around 43.....QUOTE]

2005 GT250 Hyosung - Power 30 hp (22.4 kW) @ 10500 rpm
1994 Honda CBR250RR - Power 40 hp (29.8 kW) @ 14500 rpm

Stryfe_NZL
15th July 2007, 12:58
[QUOTE=Cibby Chick]
In fairness it was a bran new bike that had not been run it but it only has 24 horsepower or something stupid like that in comparison with most 250's ie my CBR250rr which has around 43.....QUOTE]

2005 GT250 Hyosung - Power 30 hp (22.4 kW) @ 10500 rpm
1994 Honda CBR250RR - Power 40 hp (29.8 kW) @ 14500 rpm

1991 Suzuki GSXR250RR - Power 45 hp (32.6 kW) @ 15000 rpm :Punk:

Delphinus
15th July 2007, 13:39
Had to book my scratch and win for tomorrow as I failed the eye exam and have to go to the optometrist for a check. AA's test and a lazy eye don't mix.

Your not the only one with issues on those bloody machines.

I've been to the optometrist a number of times over years and when wearing glasses my eyes are fine, but the AA thing all the lines seem to cross over, so I just close my right eye when reading left line and it seems to work... Same problem for all 3 times I've done it.

EDIT: oh whoops, old thread.. found it in new posts and didnt see date

Wasp
15th July 2007, 20:14
bahahahaha someone dug up IR's newby post, he ended up buying my bike instead (great choice!)

Insanity_rules
15th July 2007, 20:23
bahahahaha someone dug up IR's newby post, he ended up buying my bike instead (great choice!)

Well theres a blast from the way PAST!!! You were right waspy it was a great choice and still is. Kinda poigiant to as my new bike is on its way soon!

Don't worry the VTZ aint going anywhere though, its too good to sell.

DingoZ
6th November 2007, 23:13
Dude check out this online review of the HYosung's
http://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles.com/hyosung-gt250r-review

I have just bought one. I find them okay, but then again each to their own, every bike has their own pro's and con's - Just gotta find what works for you.

DingoZ