PDA

View Full Version : Rev Counter Honda CX400

jaybee
13th February 2006, 18:41
Anyone out there got a Honda CX400 Rev counter lying Around ??? my one reads excessive and jumps around, i pulled it to bits but they are a sealed unit and you can't get to the internals to of it.

Fatjim
13th February 2006, 19:57
From experience you don't need one on a cx400. Just tune your ears to the sound of bouncing valves.

jaybee
13th February 2006, 21:09
From experience you don't need one on a cx400. Just tune your ears to the sound of bouncing valves.

oh so u have owned one of these lovely machines any big majors to watch on them

skidz
14th February 2006, 11:31
I owned a CX500 years ago and the only thing you need to do is regular services or you may be up for engine work. The 500's were a much better bike, but if you want a good one, get the 500 TURBO. They are a grouse ride.

k14
14th February 2006, 11:44
can a mod please delete this thread before dangerous see it. flash backs from a night last year are starting to happen.

Fatjim
14th February 2006, 15:07
oh so u have owned one of these lovely machines any big majors to watch on them

Na, used to ring the guts out of it, no probs. I remember sitting on the "rev limiter" on the Hutt motoway trying to kill the sucker with no luck.

Had a prob with the tank rusting around the metal badges. And if you run them without the headers (dont ask) they make a plopping noise.

Real comfy, with built in handwarmers, just don't touch the plugs.

Still because its a honda you have to watch the Cam chain area, only real fault with them. They're known to do really big milages.

R1madness
20th February 2006, 08:38
I will ask a mate that has an old one sitting in the garage. He might be able to help.

Bonez
20th February 2006, 17:22
oh so u have owned one of these lovely machines any big majors to watch on themKeep an eye out on the back of the engine for any coolant leaking from the waterpump seal bypass hole. Farely common. To fix this you use Yamaha components, cheaper the Honda parts ;). A Google search will help.
This site has info on the higher capacity CX/GL models which apply to the 400s as well- http://www.elsham.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/cx500/fow/

jaybee
20th February 2006, 18:59
I will ask a mate that has an old one sitting in the garage. He might be able to help.

cheers would be great if you could ............ thanx R1madness

jaybee
20th February 2006, 19:14
Keep an eye out on the back of the engine for any coolant leaking from the waterpump seal bypass hole. Farely common. To fix this you use Yamaha components, cheaper the Honda parts ;). A Google search will help.
This site has info on the higher capacity CX/GL models which apply to the 400s as well- http://www.elsham.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/cx500/fow/

thanx 4 that made good reading

Bonez
20th February 2006, 19:45
thanx 4 that made good readingI Know there is a site which goes into a lot of detail about these with step by step illustrations.
Ah find it - http://www.elsham.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/cx500/mechanical_seal/