PDA

View Full Version : How to protect a unpainted frame from rust?

khabel
14th February 2006, 11:51
I am wanting to strip the frame on my '95 kx250 and go for the polished metal look however what do I need to coat it in to stop it rusting etc?

cowpoos
14th February 2006, 11:55
glad wrap.................

SimJen
14th February 2006, 12:12
Nice one Mr cowpoos.
Just buy some clear lacquer and spray 4 or 5 coats on.
Then wet sand with 1200 wet n dry and polish to a beauty finish :)

cheese
14th February 2006, 12:20
chrome it!

Bling bling!

Korea
14th February 2006, 12:21
I've had pretty good results with just the dodgy-old spray can when painting. Just have to be really patient and apply lots of really light coats. Spray in a consistent, even, stroke by stroke wave (if that makes any sense?)- Ie. not: on-off-on-off.
If you do it evenly enough then you can probably forego the 1200 wet'n'dry and just polish with a light cutting compound after it has had plenty of time to dry and harden.
Good luck!

Colapop
14th February 2006, 13:49
Just make sure that when you strip the paint back that you either make a good job of it - polishing or it will look like shit.

skidMark
14th February 2006, 13:57
a good way to strip it is buy crc spray stripping stuff in a yellow can can't remember exactly what it's called itll be in the paint stripper section at placemakers and i'm guessing other hardware stores stock it also ...

spray it on and the paint just cracks up and falls off and you basically wipe a rag over it or hose it and the paint just falls off and that was when i was stripping paint off a frame that had been 2 pot baked :gob: