PDA

View Full Version : aarggghh.... stupid rear shock

masterofpuppets
14th February 2006, 18:05
im pissed off.... :bash: i think i might have blown my rear shock again.
it was rebuilt a few months ago. even though the ones in the zxr's are a sealed unit, they opened it up, changed all the parts, and then stuck a valve on it to fill it up. now the other day suddenly it felt all spongy. it hasent leaked any oil, but there is definately less damping. seems there is less damping on the compression stroke. anyway i was around tss in the hutt when this happened, they said it might have leaked the nitrogen out of the valve. do you gus think this might be the case???
i had a pillion on the back earlier on that day so i guess me might have been too heavy for it.
tss suggested i try and give it a few pumps with a bicycle pump to see if it will fix it, and if so to get it filled with nitrogen. i tried but as soon as i hooked up the pump i got some oil (2 mils max)leaking out of the valve so i stopped. any ways....... this is getting too long..
any suggestions??:eek5:

Sketchy_Racer
14th February 2006, 18:09
Well.... techniacaly, its rooted.

but you could get it re-filled with oil and noitrogen.

but IMO get a new shock. it will save you a pain in the arse. Literally

masterofpuppets
14th February 2006, 18:18
yeah well the problem is there are no new shocks.... there's nothing aftermarket, all the secondhand ones are pretty much the same story...... and i dont really wanna mod anything to make it fit......meh..

Sketchy_Racer
14th February 2006, 18:23
bugger.

do you have the eye to eye length of it??

you could see if a CBR one would fit. As they are very similar bikes.

sedge
14th February 2006, 18:34
Go to Boyle Kawasaki in WLG and tell them the story.

They seem to be one of the only places around that will take the time to actually rebuild a shock, most of them just point you at a wrecker or after market catalogue.

Ah... They are pretty busy at the moment though, so I'd talk to them about it first, I think they are on the verge of getting in some extra mechs to help out.

I've had a few shocks rebuilt and adjusted by them... Supposedly the unrebuildable/unadjustable types... Once you get inside it's pretty straight forward apparently.

You may want to get the shaft checked for trueness and pitting, this will cause the seals to leak/blow. I think you can get new ones made up and/or the shaft hard-chromed.

Ah, if you tell them the guy with the ZXR streetfighter sent you maybe I'll get my next service cheaper ;)

Cheers,

Sedge.

cowpoos
14th February 2006, 18:48
sounds like the bladder has gone and you now have an emulsion shock... take it out and send it to robert taylor and hawera M/C and get him to acess it and give you a recomendation....he could probally build u a new one from scratch for less than OE and it will hav a ohlins sticker on it...or rebuild it properlly....

Brian d marge
14th February 2006, 19:04
sounds like the bladder has gone and you now have an emulsion shock... take it out and send it to robert taylor and hawera M/C and get him to acess it and give you a recomendation....he could probally build u a new one from scratch for less than OE and it will hav a ohlins sticker on it...or rebuild it properlly....

Your wasted , in Milk extraction technology. I would agree with Mr P if when you tried to fill it with air you got oil then most likely the bladder has split , or has twisted in the rebuild ( had one like that )
either way just do it again
I have been looking at a range of shocks called Nitron , quality seems up there and the price is right , about 420 english pounds , The after market service is there
If not I can have a mosey around here to see whats available

Stephen

WINJA
14th February 2006, 19:31
im pissed off.... :bash: i think i might have blown my rear shock again.
it was rebuilt a few months ago. even though the ones in the zxr's are a sealed unit, they opened it up, changed all the parts, and then stuck a valve on it to fill it up. now the other day suddenly it felt all spongy. it hasent leaked any oil, but there is definately less damping. seems there is less damping on the compression stroke. anyway i was around tss in the hutt when this happened, they said it might have leaked the nitrogen out of the valve. do you gus think this might be the case???
i had a pillion on the back earlier on that day so i guess me might have been too heavy for it.
tss suggested i try and give it a few pumps with a bicycle pump to see if it will fix it, and if so to get it filled with nitrogen. i tried but as soon as i hooked up the pump i got some oil (2 mils max)leaking out of the valve so i stopped. any ways....... this is getting too long..
any suggestions??:eek5:
SEND IT TO TGEBE BRUIN ON AUCKLANDS NTH SHORE , HE DOES AN OK JOB

masterofpuppets
15th February 2006, 09:52
well thanks for all the input people... sounds like its pretty buggered. that sucks. well i might go to boyles and have a look..... i go there quite alot but i thought i wouldnt bother because most places dont want to touch sealed shocks. i might just take my old one in and see if they can rebuild it as the one on the bike now has already been opened up and i dunno if its good to slice it twice.

as for using a cbr shock i dont think that would work because even if the eye to eye length is the same the actual shock is mounted at different points on the swingarm and frame so the dynamics of it will be different. or i may be talking shit im jsut making this u pas i go someone correct me if im wrong.