PDA

View Full Version : World SBK

wari
4th March 2003, 00:55
Seems like it was a bit of a Ducati procession ...  :bash:

Supersport looks way more interesting and competitive !!! :cool:

bluninja
4th March 2003, 10:24
To be fair the first part of race 1 was interesting, but race 2 just went to form.....this years ducatis, followed by last years top ducatis. Still it was good to see the FP1 complete with flamethrower. The supersports was pretty damn good to watch, but hey, this is a track where passing on a bike is pretty difficult.

TTFN

Coldkiwi
4th March 2003, 11:10
and no Aprilias in sight :(

bikerboy
4th March 2003, 21:52
As it should be!:D

SPman
4th March 2003, 22:48
Pity they couldn't have loosened up the rules this year, like the BSB and AMA have done. How well would the Ducks have done against 200 hp Yoshimura Suzukis........

Are you sure WSB isn't secretly sponsored by Ducati??????

bikerboy
5th March 2003, 08:49
Life is soooo unfair!:beer:

SPman
6th March 2003, 17:46
It is when you can't have one of these!

Kiwi
6th March 2003, 19:12
nice bikes

http://www.desmodromics.co.nz/images/Kai_duc.jpg 

but this one will do - for the moment

see ya

Kiwi :D

NhuanH
6th March 2003, 19:46
SPman,

You're quite a man for pictures aren't ya?  What the hell is that 999 doing with a single sided swingarm??

Do you think that was a genuine Honda Race Team accessory with that CBR6?  How much faster does it make the bike go?

As for SBK 2003, again I follow bluninja's line of thought: there is a rather dominant Duke presence (but hey I love Dukes!) so in the interests of a racing spectacle I don't think we'll see too many upsets in SBK this year.  I was ho hum on the 999 as compared to the exquisite 916/996/998 legend but somehow with all the race livery it looks pretty hot too.  So Hodgson (best rider left in the SBK paddock now) combined with the technologically advanced 999 and factory support equals (should be) championship win.  I like watching Xaus 'cos he's so damned tall for the compact race bike - go the spiderman!

My beloved Gix may come along as the season progresses.  And as Edwards proved last year, a 1 machine campaign can still do the job, with an exceptional pilot on board.  But as proven in the past the 4 cyls just don't have that low down drive of the twins.  But I'll follow Alstare  Suzuki with interest.

I love the Foggy Petronas FP1 just for the damn flames that shoot out of that triple exhaust getup.  Fire good!

But the series should be considered hollow because the winning manufacturer of last year has withdrawn, along with Aprilia and Kawasaki.  Yamaha finished up after the 2000 season.  Conspiracy theorists would point the finger at the Italian based SBK organisation because strangely the Dukes don't dominate as much in the AMA or BSB superbike series.

I still prefer production based racing though, because the common man on the street can relate instantly to the race machine, vs prototype (GP) racing where the technology takes longer to filter down and most of us will never have our asses on a genuine RC211V.  Although if you believe the Honda marketing machine, the CBR6 has direct links to the RC211V.

So I believe flying the flag for proddy racing will be the super sport series.  3 brand new machines, all aiming to boost sales in the most cut throat market sector, so competition should be alive and well.  I had to chuckle when  the 'old crusty' Gix6 won on Monday morning though!

Actually in recollecting the big H won a few trophies last year:

World Superbike - Colin Edwards

World Supersport - Fabien Foret

AMA Superbike - Nicky Hayden

MotoGP - that guy, wotsisname...Rossi

and I think Ricky Carmichael might have won at least some of the motocross/supercross series on a Honda monkey bike.

But hell, at the end of it all I love watching anyone tear around at 250km/h plus on two wheels!

SPman
6th March 2003, 21:23
"But hell, at the end of it all I love watching anyone tear around at 250km/h plus on two wheels!"

Isn't that, ultimately, what its all about?

Doesn't take long for the customisers to get to work, does it. The 999 is a bike modded by Piero? Casoli, for sale. Looks better than the original I thought, although the photo is a bit unclear. (I just like lots of pictures to go with my reading age of 3)

I must admit, if the racing is close and tight, I dont care all that much what they are riding, but , somehow I think that this year, WSB will be a bit of a one sided fight (please, prove me wrong).   BSB is really intense and they have unrestricted 1000's , but Ducati still won the championship last year - although the I4's were getting a lot quicker as the year went on. The AMA championship is also really intense and this year they have got the Bostroms (Eric & Ben), Anthony Gobert (an amazing rider),Matt Mladin, Kurtis Roberts (kennys Brother,Aaron Yates and a host of fast talented riders. If only we could get to see them racing...

NhuanH
30th March 2003, 16:47
My cynicism towards the Ducati Cup is slightly eroding after watching Race 1.  Of course my allegiances say: "Go the Suzuki's!".  Obviously the 999F03's are the most developed machines, making the most power, but I thought Crasher Xaus could've helped Lavilla by further crashing during the race as well as wrecking 3 factory machines so far this weekend.  Like Steve or Charlie said though: "it's not the cleverest thing to do Lavilla, riding the Suzi so well when you're campaigning to lax up the air intake restrictors ruling" from Ducati Inc - oops I mean SBK

I am a bit worried about the fairing finish and fitting on those cheap ass Ducati's though (please note Bikerboy et al :-) ), what with Toseland's machine losing BOTH side fairings, belly pan just clinging on.  Mr Plod wouldn't allow that on our roads and neither should SBK officials.

Supersport is still where it's at so far, until MotoGP kicks off in a coupla weeks.  Again though, go the old crusty 3 year old Suzi Gixxer6 via Fujiwara.  But y'all know I kinda like the CBR6 too, so I don't mind this result at all.

Touch wood it keeps going good in SBK race 2 for Suzi and for the sake of interest in the series.

An obviously unbiased view of course...

[The post race 2 addendum]:

Well Gregorio somehow lost his lunch and went from leading the bunch chasing the factory Dukes to finishing 7th.  Oh well, that is racing.  I am really happy that Chili managed to capitalise on his brilliant 2nd on the grid and score a 3rd in race 2 (with his L twin not blowing up this time).

Uh oh...here I am about to seemingly contradicting myself, but I feel I must clarify something: I actually love Dukes! (Just check up a bit on this thread)  I am not on an anti Duke crusade.  The 996S would be the most focused and complete sportsbike I've had the privilege to ride (sorry bluninja, I can only compare to a base spec Mille, not your beloved R). 

I guess I do like seeing a truly wide title fight in racing, although the Bayliss/Edwards duel last season was captivating to follow.  I guess I'm just masking my inability to commit to such a gorgeous piece of machinery, conceding practical and logistical reasons such as cost, maintainance, range and comfort!  Hell, I even like the look of the Desmosedici GP bike and that new adventure for Ducati Corse.

Anyone still able to follow this post who has the psycho analytical experience to explain myself back to me?!?!?

wkid_one
31st March 2003, 14:39
Guys,

The real racing starts this weekend - Valencia - MotoGP...........then we'll truly see what motorcycles can do.....

Mmmmmm - if only I could smell the burning av gas

mmmmm - if only I could see the big black marks for myself

If only I could reverse my bike in to corners like them

Well Hey,, feck it, if only I had the bottomless pit of money to keep my bike on the road!!!!

240hp + >160kg = Sex on Two Wheels!!!!!!

YEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA 

bluninja
31st March 2003, 18:24
Well I'm not too impressed with my machine control this weekend after Sundays WSB round. I had to be in Hamilton for a kiddies judo tournament, so set the video. AAAAAAARGHHHHHHH! only taped Race 1 and the supersports.

Will have to find race 2 on repeat later in the week to tape. Have to say I enjoyed race 1 and supersports immensely, as apart from the front runner everything else was competitive.

Nhuanh, don't worry Gina (my RSVR) isn't bothered about your comments as long as I like riding her; and to be honest engine wise the RSV is the same beast. I prefer her looks and (comparatively) comfortable riding position over the dukes.

TTFN

merv
31st March 2003, 19:59
Any thoughts on why the Foggy Petronas does spit flame like a V8 supercar?

wkid_one
31st March 2003, 20:58
Running rich and unburnt fuel is igniting on the hot pipes - same as the V8's and Rally Cars

Coldkiwi
1st April 2003, 12:39
Any thoughts on how brown the pants would be of the bloke whos knee touched the front tyre of the bike next to him???

you're right bluninja, it does make me feel a bit inadequate watching guys ride bikes that fast!

wari
4th April 2003, 00:40
I went over to the SBK and had a blast !

The racing of the day though was with the Australian Superbikes ... it was amazing 2 GSXR1000's and 2 R1's dualling for the lead for the entire race. You coulda thrown a blanket over the 4 of em on the finish line. The Phillip Island track is stunning and I'm keen to return for the MotoGP in October. Starting to save my pennies now.

bluninja
4th April 2003, 10:11
I thought the reason flames came out of the FP 1 on overrun was cos of the very short exhaust system. In the other bikes the fuel still burns in the exhaust system, but you don't get to see the flames cos they're gone by the time it exits.

As for the Stalker (Chris Walker) I got to see the BSB series where he and Hodgson spent the year hammer and tongs at each other with lots of contact; I doubt that knee on tyre would have phased him (much:rolleyes:).

TTFN

wari
22nd May 2003, 02:33
Anyone see the racing at Jerez? ... I missed the first race due to getting my times mixed up. But caught the supersport and 2nd SBK race. The racing was so cool. It was great to see the 4 bikes at the lead changing places like they did. The gsxr100 with Lavilla on it has been a bit of a revelation. Hodgeson certainly didn't have it all his own way thats for sure. Pity the Suzuki has to be restricted or Lavilla probably woulda cleaned up down the main straight which is where the 999 had the legs.

The Foggy bike doesn't seem to be making gains on the opposition going by their results.

bluninja
22nd May 2003, 09:28
Wari, the motogp was from Jerez; Rossi won. The WSBK was from Monza.

I missed the first race as I was speaking to Nhuan that day and he said the first race was 23:55...and it stuck. So I missed the first race, but watched the supersports and the second race. The second race was really good to watch...the 999 is the most powerful bike out there at the moment, but Xaus was nowhere to be seen really; so I guess it shows how good Hodgson is at getting the bike setup and then racing consistently fast without crashing.

TTFN

Coldkiwi
22nd May 2003, 12:23
yeah, i'm not a huge suzi fan but watching lavilla, laconi and the other two (naems elude me) for that 2nd race was fantastic!! The interview with hodgsen at the end (he had NO idea those four had closed up so much) was rather entertaining!

it may be a ducati procession for most of it but there is still some very exciting racing!

and how good is tony elias winning the 250cc race at Jerez!? busted hand and halway down the pack and goes n to win on the last lap... you little beauty!

wari
22nd May 2003, 19:59
Originally posted by bluninja
Wari, the motogp was from Jerez; Rossi won. The WSBK was from Monza.

TTFN

*sheepishly* ... yeah yeah yeah ... thats right ... slip of the tongue and all that :Oops:

I get confused ... Jerez monza ... they're all full of foreigners and both have a zed in the name !

:eek:

wari
22nd May 2003, 20:01
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
... and how good is tony elias winning the 250cc race at Jerez!? busted hand and halway down the pack and goes n to win on the last lap... you little beauty!

That was probably the performance of the year for my book ... :rockon:

NhuanH
23rd May 2003, 14:29
Originally posted by bluninja
I missed the first race as I was speaking to Nhuan that day and he said the first race was 23:55...and it stuck.  

My profuse apologies bluninja.  I must have been confused with the start time for the premier Moto GP class from the continent.  Of course I knew that SBK (from Euro circuits) coverage starts at 22:25, followed by padding (maybe GP coverage from the weekend in between) and then the 600s.

Go Gregorio is the campaign I reckon.  Just wait 'til the playing field is levelled out a bit more...

bikerboy
23rd May 2003, 16:58
:rockon: Hey Nhunahn, are you back on the road again?

If so, what bike have you bought, if any?

:cool: BB

NhuanH
24th May 2003, 10:34
Bikerboy,

I am still enjoying riding demo bikes at the moment (I have only been able to change gear for the last month - good excuse to run them hard in 1st!).  I have sampled just about the whole field of what's currently available (eg. R1, SP1, ZX-7 Ninja, Fireblade, GSX-R600 etc etc), all with their pluses and minuses.

Still waiting for that infernal Honda 600RR to land!

I figure, it's a lot of coin I'm planning to part with so I'm gonna play the entire field before i make a decision.  I do like the injected R1 though.....Any thoughts from kiwibiker land?!?!

bikerboy
24th May 2003, 16:56
:D All fine bikes.

Such a hard choice to make, we all should have such problems in life!:niceone:

Maybe you can give Andrew 1 some words of encouragement as he is recouperating from a spill:cool:

SPman
24th May 2003, 17:55
I thought the CBR's were meant to be here end of May.

Tried the new ZX6R (636), All the tests think its the sharpest new 600.

I quite like the look of the new Z1000, strange pipes and all...

NhuanH
23rd June 2003, 21:34
Love that Ruben Xaus quote after race 1:

[Please imagine my best fiery and broody Spanish racer accent]

"I'm shiit.  Really I can say I'm shiit at Superpole"!  Love that honesty.:D

Also, like bluninja has said elsewhere, poor old Chili.

Coldkiwi
24th June 2003, 12:39
yeah.. shame about the crappy sound quality though... and then they cut him off! quite funny really. You'd think he would be happier than that though wouldn't you?

Besides... even if he hadn't won, Suzi Perry's a babe and that's gotta bring a smile to your face!:D

NhuanH
24th June 2003, 15:14
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
Suzi Perry's a babe and that's gotta bring a smile to your face!:D

Yup, Suzi Perry, not too foul.  You certainly wouldn't kick her outta bed for fartin' eh?  AND she likes bikes!  Ahh....what more could a guy want?

Suzi = :D:gob::niceone::p:eek::)