PDA

View Full Version : Easter Monday Wellington ride.

White trash
2nd April 2004, 10:25
OK folks, lets have an all in ride on Easter Monday.

Ride will leave Caltex Rimatuka at 9:30am. Destination, Castle Point in a round about route. I will provide a support vehicle as back up and a BBQ for lunch at Castle Point. There will be lead riders and "Tail end sweepers" so no one gets lost.

Depending on rider numbers, two groups of riders so everyone is catered for and gauranteed a good time. Fast and leisurley pace.

I may be able to score a couple of spot prizes to dish out at the end of the ride.

I would like an indication of numbers to make sure there's enough food and refreshments (it wont be flash!).

Indicate your interest by way of return post and we'll make it an awesome day.

Any body who wishes to help out with being a "Road captain" for the led groups please let me know.

Ta

Jimmy :scooter:

Wenier
2nd April 2004, 12:43
wut is the date for easter monday cus i dont have any idea except it is soon :)

phil_elvey
2nd April 2004, 12:51
yeah m8, count me in. I would look foward to going for a ride with the Wello' boys (and chicks).

White trash
2nd April 2004, 12:53
Easter Monday is the 12th. Next weekend.

svs
2nd April 2004, 13:31
sounds like a plan. will more than likely be there

Wenier
2nd April 2004, 14:52
Yea should be sweet with that sounds like a good ride to :)

Deano
2nd April 2004, 16:45
Im there, cheers heaps for organising this.

I don't think cycosis is responsible enough for road captain, Im not quick enough and last time I was in front on the way to Castlepoint I crashed (must have got too cocky).

Perhaps Hayden or Jimbo if keen ?

By the way, f*#king great ride last night too.

White trash
2nd April 2004, 16:57
Yeaaaahhh.......I wasn't really thinking of Cycosis for R/Captain either (no offence Cycosis)

Glad you enjoyed the ride last night too. Something different.

Just a thought, perhaps we could ask Cycosis to go "Tail end sweep", then take bets on how long it takes him to come carving past us all with rubber flying from the rear tyre! Closest guess gets a prize. :rolleyes:

I've got about 8 bikes registered allready so this is going to be MASIVE!

Yaahoo!

Posh Tourer :P
2nd April 2004, 17:49
Considering coming down to celebrate the holidays (or something like that). Interesting idea, but I'd need a place to chuck a tent (or summit) for a night either side.

mangell6
2nd April 2004, 22:29
Mate I'm a starter, any excuse to travel the road.

For those that don't know the road here is a few pictures that I took last year.

http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/teresa.angell/CastlePoint/index.html

Posh even have a bed inside or a piece of lawn if you want to use the tent.

LB
3rd April 2004, 05:50
Count Hamish and me in. We're happy to be sweeps, so long as you don't mind waiting half an hour at C/Point for us to arrive!

We went over the Takas last night in the car, boy at Kaitoke the road is really really shitty for about half a km - thick mud, the car was sliding around, I was a bit concerned that we would get stuck. Wouldn't want to do it at night on the bike. the mud was very soft and wet, and deep. Hopefully it was so bad because of the rain.

Thanks for organising this WT.

Note time - a bit late today, and just about to hop into the shower before heading north to Morrinsville on the bikes.

Will be meeting up with K14 in Taranaki on the way back on Sunday.

White trash
3rd April 2004, 09:01
Mate I'm a starter, any excuse to travel the road.

For those that don't know the road here is a few pictures that I took last year.

http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/teresa.angell/CastlePoint/index.html

Posh even have a bed inside or a piece of lawn if you want to use the tent.

Awesome pics and story, Mangell! Well done.

I look forward to riding with you.

White trash
3rd April 2004, 09:02
Considering coming down to celebrate the holidays (or something like that). Interesting idea, but I'd need a place to chuck a tent (or summit) for a night either side.

Posh, there's a heap of acommodating folks down here. I'm sure myself or someone else will have room for you.

White trash
3rd April 2004, 09:03
Count Hamish and me in. We're happy to be sweeps, so long as you don't mind waiting half an hour at C/Point for us to arrive!

We went over the Takas last night in the car, boy at Kaitoke the road is really really shitty for about half a km - thick mud, the car was sliding around, I was a bit concerned that we would get stuck. Wouldn't want to do it at night on the bike. the mud was very soft and wet, and deep. Hopefully it was so bad because of the rain.

Thanks for organising this WT.

Note time - a bit late today, and just about to hop into the shower before heading north to Morrinsville on the bikes.

Will be meeting up with K14 in Taranaki on the way back on Sunday.

Thanks for the offer, Lynda. I'll bear that in mind and let you know.

I didn't expect this good a response. It's going to be a shit hot day!

matthewt
3rd April 2004, 12:42
It's going to be a shit hot day!

Bugger!! I've got family up from ChCh so can't disappear for the day.

I might meet you all there and go to the summit and back anyway.

James Deuce
3rd April 2004, 13:31
On (sob) Call over Easter.

White trash
5th April 2004, 16:00

You poor bugger.

We'll be thinking of ya, sitting on the beach there..............

You can't suddenly develope something really contagious like sars can ya?

James Deuce
5th April 2004, 16:34
You poor bugger.

We'll be thinking of ya, sitting on the beach there..............

You can't suddenly develope something really contagious like sars can ya?

I'd just be on call with SARS bro.

However I have just got permission from the boss to SWEAR LIKE F__K at operators who ring at 2am in the morning. So I will be having SOME fun over Easter.

Deano
5th April 2004, 16:43

Just do what I do and check the cellphone at each stop, and hope you can deal with it over the phone :Punk:

White trash
5th April 2004, 16:45
Now there's a smart man!

Hey, I thought we'd catch you somewhere yesterday?

Got some awesome shots

BugSplat
5th April 2004, 16:51
I'll be there, If it's anything like a decent day! (Long weekends being as synonymous with crap weather as they are).

Deano
5th April 2004, 21:30
Now there's a smart man!

Hey, I thought we'd catch you somewhere yesterday?

Got some awesome shots

Nice photos alright - I would have turned out but had things to do.

James Deuce
5th April 2004, 22:46
Just do what I do and check the cellphone at each stop, and hope you can deal with it over the phone :Punk:

Contracturally bound to stay in the Wellington region, and given the nature of my work when on call it ALWAYS involves a 5 minute dialogue with a data centre computer operator who would rather be somewhere else, and at least 30 minutes of wrestling with some piece of crappy CA software or Compaq hardware. It's a bugger, but it almost pays the bills.

mangell6
6th April 2004, 17:54
And allows you to ride your bike

Wenier
6th April 2004, 18:01
ill be there for sure be good to get out there with all of ya again :)

pete376403
6th April 2004, 18:04
Contracturally bound to stay in the Wellington region, and given the nature of my work when on call it ALWAYS involves a 5 minute dialogue with a data centre computer operator who would rather be somewhere else, and at least 30 minutes of wrestling with some piece of crappy CA software or Compaq hardware. It's a bugger, but it almost pays the bills.

Reminds me of a time at IBM when a bunch of us engineers went for a camping weekend/pissup at Otaki Forks. The guy who was on-call had just arrived from Wellington when he got a call to Vogel computing Centre, to remove a jammed tape from a 3480. The operators could have removed it but thought they'd better call IBM.

mangell6
6th April 2004, 18:09
Well I have had the plan changed and will be travelling back from Napier on Monday so can still ride out to CastlePoint, just a little detour.

White trash
6th April 2004, 18:10
Cool! It'll be good to meet you, Mangell.

Pete, are you joining us?

pete376403
6th April 2004, 18:16
If I can get it registered, warranted, the seat back together, then finish painting the hallway (in the house, the bike doesn't have a hallway), and if 'er indoors can't think of something I should be doing that day, I'd love to. But somehow I can't see it happeneing :no:

Drunken Monkey
6th April 2004, 21:07
Can anyone confirm (for those of us who don't know our way around too well):

Caltex Rimutaka
1193 Fergusson Drive
Maoribank
Upper Hutt 6007

And how far away is this (in minutes, not miles) from the Wellington City Center?

Drunken Monkey
6th April 2004, 21:17
Me again, is Wellington motorcycles (the 9:00am meet) at this address?

Wellington Motorcycle Centre
12 Kent Tce, Wellington

If so, that answers my minutes question...

James Deuce
6th April 2004, 21:24
And allows you to ride your bike

So very true!

riffer
7th April 2004, 05:44
And how far away is this (in minutes, not miles) from the Wellington City Center?
If you stay to the speed limit, and don't get held up, between 25-30 minutes.

White trash
7th April 2004, 07:39
Me again, is Wellington motorcycles (the 9:00am meet) at this address?

Wellington Motorcycle Centre
12 Kent Tce, Wellington

If so, that answers my minutes question...

if you're staying in wellington City, this is the best place to meet.

The Caltex is the only one on State Highway 2. Very easy to find, just head North on the main road. If you are unsure, just give me a call on Sunday night at home and I'll meet you where you're staying.

Posh Tourer :P
7th April 2004, 13:46
Sorry I wont be able to make it down.... the weather isnt appealing and I *really* should be doing my essays.....grrr stupid work

White trash
7th April 2004, 17:08
Thats a shame, Posh. Would've been cool to meet you.

Bloody hell. I have about 30 bikes registered an interest so far. The RAT guys know, the Suzuki boys know and I've even invited a HOG member.

Multi cultural KB ride!

MD
7th April 2004, 19:32
Well done WT for organising this. But doubt I can make it. Got out of town visitors staying too and the bike's been out of action for a month but it may be ready in time. Damn, damn, really want to join you all.
MD

Hitcher
7th April 2004, 20:47
Woo hoo! Hopefully it will be fine. This would be a great chance to run in a new set of Metzlers! In this one the Force it is strong!!

White trash
8th April 2004, 12:43
It’s still on!

Subject to the weather, we still have a fantastic ride planned for Monday. Unfortunately, anyone coming for the gourmet food will be disappointed. Due to circumstances beyond my control, both the van and the ute are being used for deliveries this weekend to far a field destinations.

As a result, I can not transport the BBQ to the planned BBQ venue.

However, there is a great pub down there which does some pretty good pizzas and stuff.

Hopefully this will suffice and everyone will still have a great day.

Sorry about that!

Jimmy

Wenier
8th April 2004, 16:44
wicked sounds fun i should be there trying to harrass your 600 with my wee 250 ahahhahh :)

White trash
8th April 2004, 17:21
Allright!

I'm PC less from here on in so I'll see you all for a mad thrash on Monday morning.

Rules are:1 No crashing
2 No wheelies (better than mine)
3 No hooliganism :sly:
4 No over taking Jimbo (cause he'll cry about how his tyres are 1/2 a psi out)
5 Must have fun (no killjoys)

C U :2thumbsup

Ms Piggy
8th April 2004, 17:31
I'd really like to come :disapint: but I can't :confused2 b/c my wings are still clipped :no: so no riding for me yet. :weep: :mellow: :cry:

Skunk
9th April 2004, 16:42
Sounds like fun - I'll think of you all while I sit here in my cast... :(

Drew
10th April 2004, 17:23
Alright, alright, ALRIGHT!

White trash, nice bloke that he is, is lending me a bike for Mondays ride :innocent:

Great guy, I can go. Yipeeeeeee!

Watch out for the SRX6 RR SPS :stoogie:

jimbo600
11th April 2004, 21:24
Allright!

I'm PC less from here on in so I'll see you all for a mad thrash on Monday morning.

Rules are:1 No crashing
2 No wheelies (better than mine)
3 No hooliganism :sly:
4 No over taking Jimbo (cause he'll cry about how his tyres are 1/2 a psi out)
5 Must have fun (no killjoys)

C U :2thumbsup

Hey 1/2 a psi is the difference between GP glory and just another competitor.

May I pull some stoppies Mr Trash?

Drew
12th April 2004, 12:42
Well it seems I got home first, does that mean I won? Commiserations to that chap on the Duke, very poor luck.
I was the guy on the SRX600RRSP, and was forced to turn back from Martinbura, on account of the thing only doing 140ks at best, and the fact that I was wet.
Good time tho, cheers WT

boris
12th April 2004, 13:56
back as well yes the wet made me head for home, blue skys and warm,i do hope the dude who fell off is ok and his bike is not to bent.It was fun riding with a bunch of bikes for a change.I will be back for more rides.

boris (AKA Robin)

Marknz
12th April 2004, 14:03
what? you mean I've been sitting at home all day studying and being jealous as all hell of you lot and... it was raining? Where? You're kidding me surely?

Jimbo750 will be spewing, especially with that rear slick of his.

Come on then, someone give us a ride report. Hope the Duke and it's rider are okay!?

F5 Dave
12th April 2004, 14:07
Well it seems there are some plebs out there who can only ride for 4 min before they decide to bail out. Even after the "don't crash" pep talk.

From Martinboghorror the group left rode around a country block & some young kid got all excited & charged off after some of the faster blokes. Looked up, saw a corner, locked the brakes & went straight ahead cart wheeling the bike into a fence when he could have just leaned over & gone around the corner. I haven’t seen such a condensed lack of skill for some time. I’m just glad he didn’t take me out. Fortunately I was hanging back for a reason. I didn't want to be anywhere near.

Quote of the day from James: “things just aren’t going to plan”

Back to riding with my mates. Group rides are so dangerous it is sad to say, people who don’t know each other get a rush of blood to their heads trying to prove their place in the group & do some stupid things.

Thanks for the effort organising it all James, sorry it all went to poo.

Motoracer
12th April 2004, 15:46
Wish I could have been there for the ride. I'll come down on one of these days to try out this legendary Rimutakas for myself. Sorry to hear about the off as well, was it someone from the site?

matthewt
12th April 2004, 16:41
Anyone know how the guy on the Multistrada got on ??

Great turn out but pity about the weather over the hill. We (had my brother on pillion) had a bite at the flying fish and then headed home.

Drew
12th April 2004, 17:16
Was the other crash, the young fella on the TZR? 'Cos he was pretty scetchey going into corners , when I was behind him.

MrMelon
12th April 2004, 18:01
Heh, nah I just suck at riding, didn't stack it today though.

It was the dude on the gsxr400 who crashed out of martinborough.

My bike's been playing up all day, when the engine wasn't playing up, the tyres were sliding all over the place every time it got a little bit wet.

Hitcher
12th April 2004, 18:14
Well, that was a day that went pear-shaped in more ways than one!

I hope that all of those who canned didn't suffer any serious or lasting injuries.

As for the weather -- I want a refund from the weatherman!!

After avoiding the assembled multitudes busy admiring a wrecked Multistrada, I waited for a while at the top of the 'takas before deciding that there would probably be a group waiting at Featherston. Wrong. After waiting a while, about five others turned up and we headed off to Martinborough via the East-West lake road. Going south we met the rain front heading north! And that was the end of the good weather.

We (Matt and Drunken Monkey) eventually made Castlepoint and then Wellington! Thanks for the ride guys.

I am now busy trying to get warm...

Key learning from today: Ride your own ride responsibly, not to impress!
There will be a large number of cagers out there today who have had all of their prejudices about bikers well and truly confirmed...

jimbo600
12th April 2004, 19:53
Well I had a riot of a day. Sure it was wet, but the roads stayed dry for at least 70% of the trip. It's always good fun to be out with a bunch of bikes no matter what the weather. Plus I'm not too upset at sky for not securing MotoGP because there's alot more fairing bashing and drama on WT's runs. A round of applause to Roan, who after binning his gsxr400 (again) elected to carry on in filthy weather on the back of someones bike. If it were me, I'd just retire to the nearest pub and I'd still be there now. Cheers WT for having the gumption to organise a run. Nice one centurion.

cop killer
12th April 2004, 19:55
Started off quite good.

Got better at the base of the 'takas when more bikes joined the ride.

Ruined when the duke in front of me went rubber up and I spent the next half-an-hour holding up a guy who was dribbling blood all over my hands.

Got worse when a twat dressed like a fascist started shouting that all bikers are twats because some bikers ride too fast. S'okay though, I got his name and badge number, and I'm writing an official complaint. Might just be me, but I think that being a cunt to people performing first-aid on an accident victim should be a shototing offence.

CK

jimbo600
12th April 2004, 20:03
Started off quite good.

Got better at the base of the 'takas when more bikes joined the ride.

Ruined when the duke in front of me went rubber up and I spent the next half-an-hour holding up a guy who was dribbling blood all over my hands.

Got worse when a twat dressed like a fascist started shouting that all bikers are twats because some bikers ride too fast. S'okay though, I got his name and badge number, and I'm writing an official complaint. Might just be me, but I think that being a cunt to people performing first-aid on an accident victim should be a shototing offence.

CK

What a dickhead. (The cop I mean) you want the PCA number. What was his name and badge number? In fact write a letter to the Dominion Post. Crap police is a hot topic these days. I can't believe he was giving you shit. Oooh I wish to fuck I'd had been there.

cop killer
12th April 2004, 20:07
you want the PCA number?

Yes please.
:ar15:

jimbo600
12th April 2004, 20:17
Righto, the number is 04 499 2050 or 0800 503 728. Or you can log on to http://www.police.govt.nz/generalinfo/complaints.php and mail them your complaint. It's far better to do the mail thing as that way you will have a record of the initial complaint. Good luck.

cop killer
12th April 2004, 20:23
Good luck.

Ta........

phil_elvey
12th April 2004, 20:59
Fortunately I was hanging back for a reason. I didn't want to be anywhere near...

Well, mate either the back or the front. I was up the front and had a cracker of a run. Myself and the other front four (reduced to three when Yo's gixxer radiator went for a leak, and I wish I could remember you other guys names - there was Yo plus a GSXR1000, SP-1 and a CBRF600) were ahead of the second carnage and broke ahead of the group and headed over the gladstone hillclimb. This was a primo road - choice corners and real good seal. And to add icing to cake the sun decided to come out for us right through to Masterton. Highlight of the day for me.
Cheers WT.

Drew
12th April 2004, 22:52
Even tho I headed home, I gotsta say that it was a good day. And when the fizzer is up and running again. ( If anyone knows what bearings I need, to get a YZF front wheel up an FZR I'll bear your children.) I will be first in line, for the next one.
Cheers anyhoo for the SRX today WT

White trash
13th April 2004, 07:32
Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou to those you stopped to look after Alan and his Multistrada at accident site #1. I know Lynda, Hamish, Sally, Andrew, Damien, Mike and many more were there looking after things. I sure hope Alan is alright.

My huge thanks also to Mr Hitcher for leading a small group through the Wairarapa playground once everybody got split up. Drunken Monkey seemed to enjoy himself when I finally saw him again at 5:30 at my place! I haven't spoken to Matt but I'm sure he appreciates it too.

My appologies to everyone in the different groups who got split all over the place. It seems a lot of people headed home after the first accident and we had no idea how many to wait for. Sorry.

I need help people. I want to organise another ride, the turn out for this one was friggin amazing, but I want to make sure the same stupid shit doesn't happen again.

What do we do? Have led groups that you're not allowed to overtake the leader? Split it up into 20 groups of 2 bikes, evenly matched in riding pace?

If anyone has any real suggestions, please post them or if you don't want your oppinions made public, PM me. Feel free to let loose with verbal abuse because after my piss poor organisation yesterday, I feel like I failed and I definitely wont be running another for a while. (Not a dig at Alan, Rowan or Barry 'cause shit does happen, and horrible as it sounds, Barrys crash was the funniest fucken thing I've seen in a long time)

Also sorry to the people who's day was fucked up by the actions of a few (that includes being abused by a PMSing cop)

See you round :bye:

Jimmy

James Deuce
13th April 2004, 07:47
Don't take it too hard bud. Organising a group ride is harder than it first seems, and is often the genesis of a club organisation, just to address the difference in speed issue.

I went on a Vic club ride about 12 years ago and it scared the crap out of me. Those guys were FAST!

I'd be happy to help out (provided I'm allowed out) on the next one. I reckon you could come up with 3 groups, Fast, Medium, and Legal, with a group leader, and a group sweep to keep the bunch together. Plan for accidents before the event, so that there are a cadre of first aid/tool twirlers/ambulance or tow truck callers nominated for each group.

Have designated meeting points and only move on when the group leader/sweep for each group are satisfied that everyone is ready to go. If it gets more complex than that, you may as well organise a race meeting :)

Hitcher
13th April 2004, 08:46
I have been mulling on this overnight as well. Smaller groups are definitely the go -- particularly for the first bit over the Rimutakas, given the road and traffic issues. I would suggest doing the 'takas in groups of five or six, with a couple of minutes gap between each. At Featherston, regroup and assemble larger groups. The opposite on the return -- stop at Featherston and break into smaller groups for the 'takas. Let the quicks go first and the amblers last.

I'm not big on "rules" for these sorts of events -- I reckon that generally if you treat people like adults they respond appropriately. However some guidelines:

Ride within your abilities and the prevailing road conditions;
Treat other road users with courtesy and respect;
Remember that bikers are a "family";
Have fun;
Get home alive.

svs
13th April 2004, 08:50
Good ride anyways white trash. Even with rowan on the back from martinborogh to castle point and back its still a top road. The sv couldn't quite keep up two-up - maybe next time.

With that many bikes and the weather being a bit crappy in places, groups are always going to split up. Maybe hand out maps next time? And arrange for more bikes with pillion seats :)

F5 Dave
13th April 2004, 09:09
Scary thing is all those people driving past the accident scene, you know that is forming their opinion of bikes & a percentage of them will be or will become the bureaucrats of the LTSA & ACC who shape the future of legislative & financial (read ACC rego slice) future of motorcycling in NZ.

Problem is you can say as many things as you want to people (as WT did at the start of the ride) & it disappears in a puff of adrenalin. I’ve been on so few group rides lately but struggle to remember any (except WTs Thursday night ride a week back) that we haven’t spent a bunch of time waiting for crashes to be picked up.

Ironically one of my riding mates I met during one of these lay ups when young Rach stacked her bike just approaching the Rimas on an early morning group ride.

White trash
13th April 2004, 16:36
Thanks for all your support, guys.

I will have another ride soon, albeit a bit better organised with the help and advice from a few great people.

For those who have organised these things before, you'll know how responsible you feel for when it all turns pear shaped.

I still enjoyed the day immensly and had great company to spend my time with and WILL NOT be giving up on this.

If the Harley Owners Group can get 1400 bikes in convoy from Wellington to Masterton without a SINGLE incident, then I'm sure there's hope for us.

White trash
13th April 2004, 16:42
If it gets more complex than that, you may as well organise a race meeting :)

There's more than a small chance of a KB Manfeild track day.

Watch this space. :whistle:

White trash
13th April 2004, 17:15
For those who missed it, here's some pics courtesay of 'Busa Jim.

Naration is as follows.
1) Outside WMCC early Monday, heaps of bikes, everyone on time.
2) Some good looking guy giving a riders briefing "No crashing! ". Not that it helped.
3) Gladstone pub.
4) Martinborough. (These aren't in order! Sorry)
5) Tainui pub (see a theme?)
6) Panoramic of Featherston (waiting, waiting, waiting "I think there's been an incident")

LB
13th April 2004, 17:22
Problem is you can say as many things as you want to people (as WT did at the start of the ride) & it disappears in a puff of adrenalin.

WT: I agree, you can only say/do so much. However, there's some good thoughts coming through this thread, and Jim2 and Hitcher have some sound advice.

Alan (Multistrada) was apparently on the phone to Motomart this morning asking how his bike was (it's not back there yet, they're expecting it tomorrow) so that's hopefully a very good sign.

Thanks for your organising before/on Monday WT, please don't beat yourself up too much.

Pickle
13th April 2004, 20:24
sounds like a good turn out, how many actually started the ride?
Might have to join the next ride as no big trips planned now untill Oct.

Just returned from a trip to the South Island doing 2600kms :cool:

matthewt
13th April 2004, 21:48
WT: don't beat yourself up about it. No matter what you say/do at the end of the day everyone is responsible for their own safety.

I agree with the others about splitting up into smaller groups (divide and conquer!) but then I don't think anyone quite expected that many riders to turn up.

The only comment I'd add would be communication. I wasn't far behind the first pack up the hill and I stopped (as planned) at the summit. We knew something was wrong when no more bikes came past but there should of been another 20+. Sometime after you must of been wondering the same thing coz you made it back up from the other side to see what the story was. If you split into groups all it takes is one person is each group to swap mobile numbers and it would of saved a lot of waiting and guessing for the people ahead of the accident. It would mean you could also plan what to do next for all the people involved.

matthewt
13th April 2004, 21:49
Did anyone actually do a head count ???

I'd guess about 40 bikes.

Slim
13th April 2004, 22:34
Check this out for the running of future rides:

Rideout Etiquette (http://www.visordown.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23731)

Also I noticed we had a really good time without any major incidents on our last Coromandel Blast. The group got broken up naturally by the traffic when we left the Kopu Pub (there's that theme again!) and we all knew where we were meeting next. The fast ones overtook the slower ones & everyone seemed to have fun at their own pace. I quite often found myself riding on my own, and occasionally with another rider or two happy to sit at my pace. Still, it's not hard to get lost doing the Coromandel Loop. Check out the suggestions for not losing everyone in the above rules (Boyd Honda rides follow the same procedure too).

Loved that panoramic piccy of the group. :)

Motoracer
13th April 2004, 22:47
Just looked at the pics... WTF??? Its like a world gone made with nothing else but Suzies!

White trash
14th April 2004, 10:58
Just looked at the pics... WTF??? Its like a world gone made with nothing else but Suzies!

This here's Gixxer country, son. Where on a quiet day, you can hear the Fireblades rusting. :laugh:

Deano
14th April 2004, 12:50
This here's Gixxer country, son. Where on a quiet day, you can hear the Fireblades rusting. :laugh:

Meanwhile the SP-1's and CBR600's are kicking ass. :Pokey:

I had a great time on Monday except for the rain and subsequent cold.

As far as the crashes go, the more bikers, the more competitive people seem to get. I think it has something to do with proving yourself to people you don't really know. It doesn't seem to happen to the same extent when you ride with a few mates.

As far as our little group went after splitting up at Martinborough (Gixxer Dave, Phil Elvey and Byron - and Yo and Hayden until Gladstone), we pretty much were in formation all the way from Martinborough to Masterton, nicely spaced with no one trying to outdo each other - surprise surprise, none of us binned it.

Despite the pep talk at the start, some people will always let the adrenalin get the better of them - Jimmy, don't feel bad at all - you are not responsible for the way others ride - and well done on such a HUGE turnout.

Im certainly keen for some more. :soon:

White trash
14th April 2004, 12:51
Meanwhile the SP-1's and CBR600's are kicking ass. :Pokey:

I had a great time on Monday except for the rain and subsequent cold.

As far as the crashes go, the more bikers, the more competitive people seem to get. I think it has something to do with proving yourself to people you don't really know. It doesn't seem to happen to the same extent when you ride with a few mates.

As far as our little group went after splitting up at Martinborough (Gixxer Dave, Phil Elvey and Byron - and Yo and Hayden until Gladstone), we pretty much were in formation all the way from Martinborough to Masterton, nicely spaced with no one trying to outdo each other - surprise surprise, none of us binned it.

Despite the pep talk at the start, some people will always let the adrenalin get the better of them - Jimmy, don't feel bad at all - you are not responsible for the way others ride - and well done on such a HUGE turnout.

Im certainly keen for some more. :soon:

Thanks for that, Dean.

Not a bad wheelie to finnish off the day either, if I may say so myself.

Deano
14th April 2004, 16:52
Thanks for that, Dean.

Not a bad wheelie to finnish off the day either, if I may say so myself.

Definitely, I kept watching in the mirror and was mightily impressed.

Wenier
14th April 2004, 16:52
hey guys sorry i didnt make it got dragged into drinking on sunday night and well fucked were we wasted by 4am monday or wut, no chance of riding on monday or doing much else for that fact. sorry to hear bout the accident.

White trash
14th April 2004, 16:54
hey guys sorry i didnt make it got dragged into drinking on sunday night and well fucked were we wasted by 4am monday or wut, no chance of riding on monday or doing much else for that fact. sorry to hear bout the accident.

Which one? There were three!

F5 Dave
14th April 2004, 16:55
Which accident?

We should run a poll:

Which bike actually looked better after the accident?

Wenier
15th April 2004, 17:38
shit there were more than one. i didnt read thru the posts cus there that many pages!