PDA

View Full Version : Sunburn

Colapop
15th February 2006, 14:11
At this time of year (usually) the weather has settled down and we get some really nice long days in the sun. I had what I thought was just a blemish or irritation on the side of my nose. After 2 weeks of tests it has turned out not to be skin cancer - But for the last couple of weeks shit has been going through my head and the stress levels have gone up dramatically. I've got a mate that was diagnosed with luekemia just after xmas so that didn't help matters. In the end it was some skin thing caused by exposure but not life threatening, the Doc just burned it with nitrogen.

We live (most of us) in a country that has a poor record in skin cancer. The ads you see on TV and in print and on the radio aren't just directed at "someone else". Wear sunscreen, as much as you'd wear a helmet or leathers. Treat sunscreen as an article of clothing. Getting the big bright red burn is really funny for other people at least until they find out, as you did, a couple of years later that it progressed to be skin cancer.

Get checked if you have anything that you are unsure of. A mole that may have gotten bigger, a patch of skin that's unusually sensitive. It can take only a couple of minutes for your doctor to tell you if there's something to be concerned about.

White is the new tan. She (see attached) looks funny but I bet she knows about that burn every time she moves.

MSTRS
15th February 2006, 14:17
Timely post. Who is she....or would that lead to bloodshed??

Colapop
15th February 2006, 14:18
just a pic...

SARGE
15th February 2006, 16:29
dude .. after years in the states working on pop's farm with no shirt and a pair of cutoffs, being in the august sun for 4-5 hours a day and barely getting tanned..

THIS SHIT IS LIKE A MICROWAVE!

RantyDave
15th February 2006, 16:43
dude .. after years in the states working on pop's farm with no shirt and a pair of cutoffs, being in the august sun for 4-5 hours a day and barely getting tanned..

THIS SHIT IS LIKE A MICROWAVE!
Shit yes. When I lived in the UK I was a monster sailing freak. Both days, every weekend, at least one and usually two whole weeks in the summer I'd be on the water. Sun bounces off the sails, off the deck, off the water and burns newbies like there's no tomorrow. Never bothered me. Got slightly red from time to time, never wore sunscreen, no problem.

Soon as I got to NZ and heard the radio say "burn time today is 13 minutes" I was like, yeah, sure ... and headed off to potter around, as you do. Thirteen minutes later and it was like the timer had gone off on the oven ... I was done. Burnt. To a crisp.

The thing that gets me is the way you can *feel* it burning, literally, with skin getting hotter by the second. Nasty shit.

Dave

GR81
15th February 2006, 19:53
this is my latest effort... 3 hours in the sun at the twenty20 final...

the sun really does burn hard on pasty white legs :confused:

rudolph
15th February 2006, 20:48
I went to this place called Molemap and i had one removed, was a bit screay:weep:

Korea
16th February 2006, 03:10
GR81~ Dude! That must have sucked!!!
It seems I need to get burnt a little every summer just to remind myself how much I hate sunburn. Do it proper and it can be truely agonising!
Had a couple removed over here with the laser~ *Tsss* *smoke* and the Doc had burnt a bunch of craters in me. Morbidly fascinating stuff...

Mooch
16th February 2006, 05:27
Good advice, Skin cancer killed my father years back, started with a small spot on his leg that wouldn’t stop bleeding easily. He had it checked and cut out, unfortunately after getting the all clear it came back with vengeance about 3 years after. I guess in his days you tended not to worry too much about sun screen and the likes. All those fond memories of summer holidays in the Coromandel no doubt led to his demise. Shit, that was 18 years ago, still miss him like mad ! Apparently the UV in NZ is higher now.

NZ sun is a killer, it's been interesting living in the UK over summer, hardly need sun screen let alone sun glasses and only got mild sunburn after 8 hours in the sun.

Not a nice feeling while you’re waiting to find out. I glad you don't have it; it's such an awful way to go. Sorry to hear about you mate. It’s a hard thing to go through.

beyond
20th February 2006, 19:10
Yep, I'm nearly 50 and when I was a kid, getting a "tan" was the thing to do. Of course you used to burn so bad you couldn't have sheets on your body at night :(

I've had seven moles removed now, a full end nose job to get rid of a cancerous carcinoma, ($3500.00 ) a large area cut out of my chest to dispose of a full blown melanoma that took less than a month to come up.

All this from sun burn as a kid. Man, you gotta be real careful.

placidfemme
28th February 2006, 14:31
The worst part is that the sunburn is just as bad on cloudy days.... Thats when I get burnt the most :(

Even got a "D" sorta shaped tan on my face once while riding up north... everyone at work took the piss outta me for ages :(

Pathos
28th February 2006, 22:30
And dad is always telling us to get out of the house more :D

*sic
1st March 2006, 08:46
And dad is always telling us to get out of the house more :D

kinda not funny.

skin cancer is something i wish on noone, my girls dad recently died due to it. not a nice thing to go thru.

be safe. white and pasty is sexy.. ask me how i know, go on ask me