PDA

View Full Version : Metzeler Sportec M3s

Devil
16th February 2006, 08:10
Well, I've only had them on for one day and about 80km but man, what a nice tyre. Still got a bit more to scrub in (5mm on the rear and about 15-20mm on the front) but they feel great already. After travelling 10,000km on the same set of Bridgestones (010's) its like riding a whole new bike.

The profile of the tyre makes for very progressive turn-in, the bike feels planted and stable at all angles with a very smooth transition from upright to cranked over. They're not too steep and not too shallow.

Warm up is nice and quick. One thing that I noticed (as mentioned in a couple of reviews i've seen) is that they dont "ball-up" very much around the edges when riding hard. Must have done some work with the rubber compound!

Haven't experienced the wet yet, but the big meaty grooves (you need to see them in person!) look as though they'll sort any kind of surface water.

Will report back again after a decent ride, but so far, I can recommend!

DemonWolf
16th February 2006, 08:38
Cheers Devil.. keep us posted on how the Metzeler Sportec M3's hold up... =)

Devil
16th February 2006, 13:07
Sticky icky icky! I like these tyres :D Just gotta find the right pressures.

MrMelon
16th February 2006, 13:36
Are the M3's down a stickyness notch from the M1's?

Devil
16th February 2006, 13:55
Nope, stickier. According to Metzeler they're right in between the M1 and racetecs.

...and with better mileage apparently!

chickenfunkstar
16th February 2006, 14:03
Apparently with 50% better wear rate than the M1's as well.
They sound really good.

Mind telling us how much you paid for them?

Devil
16th February 2006, 14:08
Apparently with 50% better wear rate than the M1's as well.
They sound really good.

Mind telling us how much you paid for them?
Meh, wont help you :) I got a cheap deal in exchange for my opinion (thanks Carl @ holeshot!) so if anyone can find out the retail price i'd be interested too!

Postie
16th February 2006, 14:15
what sort of price are these mate?

Devil
16th February 2006, 14:30
I dont know the retail, but according to Lou/AMPS slightly dearer than the M1, however much that was...

Postie
16th February 2006, 14:33
about as useful as a cock on a priest, cheers mate. I'll call around for a few quotes.

Devil
16th February 2006, 14:43
Oh and that reminds me!
The only sizes you can get at the moment are 120 front and 180 and 190 rear's. I believe other sizes will turn up next month though.

Zapf
16th February 2006, 15:05
around 520/530 ish from AMPS I think...

GSVR
16th February 2006, 19:04
Meh, wont help you :) I got a cheap deal in exchange for my opinion (thanks Carl @ holeshot!) so if anyone can find out the retail price i'd be interested too!

Bridgestone 010s are more of a touring tyre than these M1s which are much more sportier so I'd expect universal opinion that they are better. Thats until they wear out at 5000 ks instead of the 10000 you got from the Bridgestones.

Everytime I put on a new set of tyres my bike seems to have all those good points the old worn tyres dont. ie they make the bike feel 100% better even if they are the same tyre only new.

So you got the tyres cheap in exchange for your opinion? Is it the opinion on these tyres I'm reading here?

As for price aren't all the manufacturers matching one another at around $500 a set fitted?

Devil
17th February 2006, 08:29
Hey, it is my opinion and I'm trying to pick out the good points, I do still remember what the 010's were like when they were brand new (only 14 weeks ago).

Done a few more k's now on the M3's and I love them. Still got about 10mm on the front to go and about 3mm to fully scrub the rear. I haven't had even the slightest wobble on these tyres (even cranked over full throttle).

The ride in general seems very smooth.

As for price, I mentioned I'm not up with the retail cost, and I'm trying to figure out the exact product placement, it seems they're suppose to be similar too, or slightly sportier than Powers. So in the $500-$550 mark.

NinjaBoy
17th February 2006, 19:07
Was at a tyreshop the other day and saw the tag price on the M3 was the same as the Pilot Powers rear. So picking the front is a similar price.

Lou Girardin
21st February 2006, 12:27
$567.00 inc recommended retail per set. But we can talk about that, send a PM.

Devil
27th April 2006, 15:26
UPDATE: Tyre wear.

Have done 5000km on these tyres now, including a track day. They look like they could do another 5000km. Wear has been absolutely even. I ride like a nanna in the wet so cant really tell you how much grip they've got there, but I haven't had any wobbles or wiggles.

Looking forward to giving them another run down to Taupo this weekend.

Tyres were awesome on the track, once I had the right pressures there was no sliding to be detected. Feel has been great.

Zapf
5th May 2006, 17:40
Just got a set myself a set of M3's. Thanks to Lou @ AMPS. :yes:

Have done around 6000km on the Z6's I had before and they are less than half worn and have even been flinged around the SI on a CB900 Hornet. They have now moved on to TIE's CBR1000F Heavy.. :)

For the record I put these tires on at 11800km showing on the Odometer. Lets see how long they last on a heavier and torquier bike.

For the 1st 50km they felt sticky as even new in the alternating down pour and sun riding back from Cycletreads. I'll be taking them on the Northern ride this Sunday and will see how it stacks up.

Gremlin
5th May 2006, 19:08
That a fitted price??

Interesting, around the same price as my z6's... $568 fitted. And the m3 would be the better tyre, depending on your requirements etc, of course...

R6_kid
5th May 2006, 19:26
if you are putting a Z6 on the back i would suggest matching it with an M1, or M3 on the front. This results in a sportier profile and stickier tyre on the front. For my riding (80% commuting, 15% weekend ride, 5% trackday) they have been an awesome setup, no issues for me so far in nearly 12,000km... the Z6 is getting a bit knackered but the M1 is still holding in there like there is no tomorrow - looks like i just scrubbed it in.

Consequently i am going to give the M3 set a try and probably have a Z6 there for commuting as i'd prefer something stickier for weekends. I'm also considering a set of Racetecs for the trackdays.

Did someone say metzeller :yes:

cowpoos
5th May 2006, 19:54
I know someone [from KB] that just got a set or M3's fitted for $485

R6_kid
5th May 2006, 20:01
just got told off for telling people to match M1/3 and Z6... so dont do it.

Gremlin
5th May 2006, 20:08
you probably can with you little yamahahaha :scooter:

Us with big bikes can't ya see... thank goodness I didn't listen when you told me that a while back... but it does make the front last longer, meaning less tyres...

T.I.E
5th May 2006, 20:16
definately be interested to hear how you guys do on them. as i know i will be up for some soon.
zapfs z6's wont last too long heading down south.

also let me know you riding styles too and bike's total weight with rider etc.
i'm running the heavy cbr and is loaded and with me on it does not help.

but they are sounding good.

Mental Trousers
5th May 2006, 20:18
So fat overwieght p.o.s need matched sets but Whippets dont?? Guess that makes sense. :stupid:

T.I.E
5th May 2006, 20:21
So fat overwieght p.o.s need matched sets but Whippets dont?? Guess that makes sense. :stupid:

shit what i miss???????

R6_kid
5th May 2006, 20:47
the only reason its a yamahahaha is coz its laughing at you face gremlin. It's real name is Yama-Hardcore (aye MT) and thats because it's always in front of you while its laughing!

Poos explained the reason you dont miss match tyres to me, and i understand it, but im not explaining it to all of you, so just believe me. I've gotten away with it buy you might not.

I'm going for M3's next time anyway.. Z6 is a good touring tyre, but if you out for a weekend thrash you cant go past M3's.

Gremlin
5th May 2006, 21:35
Z6 is a good touring tyre, but if you out for a weekend thrash you cant go past M3's.
I dunno, don't be too quick to categorise the z6. Rayza was riding mine, with me on the back, and he had it right over to the edge of the tyre, no issues.

Once warm, I haven't had any murmurs from it, and you would know it has big grooves for wet weather riding. Someone on here on a honda 600/1000 and did 5-6k touring (but hard riding) and they still had tread left.

I reckon its a fantastic tyre for non-track kinda use, and being dual compound you don't scrape all the tread off at traffic lights.

NinjaBoy
5th May 2006, 22:41
I know someone [from KB] that just got a set or M3's fitted for $485

Sounds like someone got a good deal ! I had a set fitted not long after Lou put up the price for considerably less too !

Have done 7500km which includes 3 trackdays, 2 trips to Taupo and 1 to Manfield. Rest of the time is commuting. Approx 1/2 - 1/3 tread left.

It seems to be getting better wear than the M1 and BT014 which would have been shagged by now.

Its been a good tyre for some spirited weekend riding. Although riding hard around the new Taupo track I have had it sideways and step out in both the wet and dry.

But generally its feels well planted and giving good wear too.

beyond
5th May 2006, 23:04
The Z6's seem to be a good tyre. I'm on my second rear. The first one lasted 4500kms and still on the same front at 6000kms. Stuck a new rear on 1500kms ago.

No issues. I ride real hard and have no strips on the rear and a 2mm strip on the front. That's on a 1400 weighing 250 kilos wet and 126nm torque. So, they go to the edge no trouble and hang on well. Pretty good in the wet too.

cowpoos
6th May 2006, 10:49
around the new Taupo track I have had it sideways and step out in both the wet and dry.

But generally its feels well planted and giving good wear too.

I don't think it matters what tyres your running on the surface at taupo....it'll still slippery reguardless at the moment!

Lou Girardin
7th May 2006, 06:48
That a fitted price??

Interesting, around the same price as my z6's... $568 fitted. And the m3 would be the better tyre, depending on your requirements etc, of course...

There's been a price rise. Thank you to the oil companies.

PS. I've had the Z6's right to edge with 100 kg's load and at way past 'walking' speed (punch in the kidney speed, in fact) without a hint of slip.
A lot of people overtyre their bikes. Having said that, I will be trying a set of M3's next.

Devil
8th May 2006, 08:44
Mileage update: 6250km. Tread left: At least 1/3 (I'm counting down to minimum legal depth, not totally flat). I've been commuting on these tyres everyday and taking the missus on blats too. Thoroughly impressed. Very even wear.

Keep us updated Zapf on what the hornet does to them.

(and errr, I got mine for less than $485 :P) But that wont happen again.

Zapf
8th May 2006, 13:12
Update after 6xx km trip up north.

The M3's bring another level of surefootedness after the Z6's. At first it took me a while to get use to as they have a different profile to the Z6, and also they are slightly bumpier than the Z6 (but if you know the Z6 its very good at absorbing bumps)

The M3's stick like glue to the road, and I am still exploring what I can do on these new tires. :banana: I like them!

Lou Girardin
8th May 2006, 16:59
Update after 6xx km trip up north.

The M3's bring another level of surefootedness after the Z6's. At first it took me a while to get use to as they have a different profile to the Z6, and also they are slightly bumpier than the Z6 (but if you know the Z6 its very good at absorbing bumps)

The M3's stick like glue to the road, and I am still exploring what I can do on these new tires. :banana: I like them!

Did you do any wet k's on them?

NinjaBoy
8th May 2006, 18:05

Yep, I've done at least 300km going to trackdays at Taupo. It's hard to say what their wet weather performance is like as you are usually taking it easy anyway. But no slips at all in those conditions.

Zapf
8th May 2006, 19:32

Yea on the way back from north, pretty much from Murry road for at lease 30 mins. All good and sticky. For the record the tires were nicely warmed up.

Devil
6th June 2006, 09:08
Mileage Update: 8000km and counting.
Tread left, approx 3mm front and rear.

These tyres are great. Still doing the daily commute and the occasional weekend blat. They've held their shape really well. The old BT010's had squared off by now.

Highly impressed.

Zapf: How are yours going?

Zapf
6th June 2006, 23:28
mine are good... except I haven't been riding too much in the last few weeks. only have 1000km on them from new :)

Oh I am really confident on them now, was blasting around the coro loop it even let me test out the top end of the engine.... didn't know the Hornet had a top end before.

Fishy
10th August 2006, 11:04
Anyone know how the M3's compare with Michelin Pilot Powers? ........

The_Dover
10th August 2006, 11:07
Sixpackback said he's going back to the Michelins.

The wear he got on the M3's was pretty average and they went off pretty quickly I think.

He thought they were great at first but the novelty soon wore off as the tires did.

beyond
10th August 2006, 11:19
Anyone know how the M3's compare with Michelin Pilot Powers? ........

Someone posted recently (last few days) a test was released on sport tyres.

Pilot Powers were 1st, M3's around 3rd or 4th on the test list.

Seems the consensus was that Pilot Powerrs are still tops.

beyond
10th August 2006, 11:23
Here it is:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=33555&highlight=pilot

Fishy
10th August 2006, 11:26
Cheers Paul! :niceone:

Devil
10th August 2006, 11:37
I'd take an average of the tests. Thats the only one i've seen with the M3 that far behind.

I certainly cant complain with getting 11500km out of a sports tyre, with probably another 2k to go.

The_Dover
10th August 2006, 11:43
But you ride a girls bike like a girl!!

Sixpack rides a mans bike like a girl!

xsive-rider
2nd September 2006, 22:58
bayride in tauranga are offering a special at $500+fitting

SuperDave
2nd September 2006, 23:20
Mileage Update: 8000km and counting.
Tread left, approx 3mm front and rear.

These tyres are great. Still doing the daily commute and the occasional weekend blat. They've held their shape really well. The old BT010's had squared off by now.

Highly impressed.

8000kms! Man, I've done about 4500kms on my set of M3s and I can't see the rear lasting much more than another 1000kms. The tyres themselves don't feel squared off or anything yet but the rear is starting to look a bit tired. What kinda pressures are you running? I'm running 41 rear and 39 front, probably higher than what you are running.

Devil
4th September 2006, 08:55
8000kms! Man, I've done about 4500kms on my set of M3s and I can't see the rear lasting much more than another 1000kms. The tyres themselves don't feel squared off or anything yet but the rear is starting to look a bit tired. What kinda pressures are you running? I'm running 41 rear and 39 front, probably higher than what you are running.

Just about up to 12,000kms now and the rear probably wont pass its next warrant.
Blatting: 33F, 36R.
Commuting/Touring: 36F, 40R.
Trackdays: 30F, 31/32R

NinjaBoy
4th September 2006, 20:24
Just about up to 12,000kms now and the rear probably wont pass its next warrant.
Blatting: 33F, 36R.
Commuting/Touring: 36F, 40R.

Me too. replaced at 12000km as no more tread on the front sides.

Blatting/Commuting/Touring: 36F, 40R.

Cycletreads
28th September 2006, 16:22

some people don't know what they're talking about . Matching profiles is the most important thing . 2500 k out of 010s on gutless blade but a few laps of Pukekohe in there . 6000 out of 014s but crashed in the rain , my fault . 3000 out of M3s so far great grip and lots of feedback. luv em $560 fitted for KBers

Bytor
28th September 2006, 17:04
some people don't know what they're talking about . Matching profiles is the most important thing . 2500 k out of 010s on gutless blade but a few laps of Pukekohe in there . 6000 out of 014s but crashed in the rain , my fault . 3000 out of M3s so far great grip and lots of feedback. luv em $560 fitted for KBers

Welcome to KB - about bleedin time and cheers for the Powers that you fitted on for me this lunchtime:2thumbsup

Sensei
28th September 2006, 18:00
Run a M1 front & Z6 ,Supercorsa , M3, MZ1, MZ2 ,MZ3 etc plus more combos on the Front & back for years now . What a load of Shit about not been able to do this .Never in 26 years have I had a matching pair off tyres on any off my 50+ bikes I have owned ! Alway stay with the right size front & back & choice what ya feel is best with . :spanking:

Devil
2nd October 2006, 11:14
I'm up to 13,000km on the M3's now. Time to replace!
I think i'll try Powers, just for fun.

Zapf
3rd October 2006, 00:39
my Odometer should read around 18'000km now after my big wellington trip, so have done about 6'000 km of them and I think they have around 2'000km life left in them. 1/2 3'000km done with factory shock and the next 3k on Ohlins, should make it last longer.

However I'll swap them out over the next two weeks so that I have a new set of M3's for the GC.

Anyone after a set of M3's for the track? Plenty of tread on the both side.

for the record the CB900Hornet is 198kg dry weight with more torque. so i suppose it is working much harder than when its on the Speed4 or the 636.

Zapf
17th October 2006, 00:58
thought I should give a summary about the M3's

Seeing that I swapped my set at 19'600km. Got them at 11800km. So 7'800km on a sticky sports tire... not bad.

It is down to just warrantable. I swapped them because I wanted something with a bit more tread for the GC.

They are good tires... reason for switching is because I know I won't be using them properly, as I only go as fast as 140k on the track on the Hornet.

They wore nicely, didn't flatten out as such in the middle. Just have a more elliptical profile instead.

BNZ
6th March 2007, 15:57
luv em $560 fitted for KBers

Sold! (if the offer still stands??)

jimbo600
6th March 2007, 16:15
I've racked up about 5000k's and done four trackdays and there's still enough meat on the rear to make Hannibal Lecter frothy at the bung. Amazing tyres.

Devil
8th March 2007, 07:21
Well after 13k on M3's, 10k on powers and 6k on Diablos - It's a tough call between the M3's and the diablo's.
The pirelli's turn a bit slower, but the trade off is awesome stability in the corners. Eats mid-corner bumps for breakfast.
The downside is I can see the rear dying quickly with commuting due to it being fairly flat on the top to start with. Will have to see how it goes.

Probably go back to M3's.

Drew
24th March 2007, 18:12
I had an M3 on the front of my bike for a trip to Hawera and back, gave it a good nudge over the Peakak' hill there and back, and thought it felt really good. Only problem I had was that they dont ball up! The tyre came off as soon as I got back, (for a slick to be fitted for the hill climb), but it would seem that once I got used to it not lookin like it was workin, I would be well happy to ride on them, on the front at least, the 1000 really does need the stickiest shit I can find on the rear.