PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Newbie

james.r
16th February 2006, 16:20
Hey all.
Just today bought the motorcycle road code, looking at getting into riding, just like my dad did at my age (19) and cliched I know. Anyways - I'm pretty clueless at the mo, having only ridden farm bikes till now, and nothing on the road. Anyone got any recommendations for:
A)basic training courses?
B)bikes to buy - looking at under $2000 for a commuter bike if possible?
C)dealers/shops to buy bikes and equipment from?

Any help would be much appreciated...

Qkchk
16th February 2006, 16:29
Welcome to the nut farm!!

You will be inidated with advice within the next hour or so........ these guys and girlys know their stuff and will be glad to help you.

Colapop
16th February 2006, 18:31
Hey there, welcome to the site. Excuse the nutters, freaks and geeks!!!

As far as advice goes - you won't get much advice here, but you will get opinion, supposition, conjecture, asumptions, wisecracks, abuse and maybe even some serious and thought provoking witicisms!

$2k is a good budget, there'll be a fair bit to choose from.

R6_kid
16th February 2006, 22:06
for 2k try to find a decent condition GPX/GPZ or maybe even a ZZR. Dont worry so much about how it looks, just how well it runs etc.

Im 19 and have my full licence now - shoulda got into it earlier mate!

Get in touch if you want some help looking at bikes.

NotaGoth
16th February 2006, 22:35
Welcome to KB :)

Ixion
16th February 2006, 22:37
Sorry, forgetting m'manners. Welcome. Don't forget to check out the wonderful and exotic world of Pointless Drivel (where all the meaningful and important stuff is). Remember you can't get there by starlight , or by the nice forum jump combo box. Go to rant and rave then it's at the top of the page. Check out LOTPINHGAD . Good stuff. The young folk all seem to gravitate there.

far queue
16th February 2006, 23:03
welcome aboard

babyB
17th February 2006, 10:35
hay there james.r welcome to KB hope you enjoy
if ya needing secondhand leathers/assoriess, shop around there some cool deals out there. try putting a wanted add on KB. theres budget shop in onehunga.
bying bike from shop u may or maynot get assoriess throwen in (but that might depend on how much leg ya show them:shifty: ) or maybe discount.

basic training well grab ya farm bike, layout some rocks & prastice ya slow riding weaves & stoppin on 'an X marks the spot' & figure 8s.& u'll have the first stage won
good luck

RnB Fan
17th February 2006, 12:44
Welcome to the site. I did my basic handling through a crowd called RoadSafe in Wellington and it was the best $200 I spent. Key messages were be aware of what is going on around you at all times and practice emergency braking - both exceptional pieces of advice that have kept me safe to date.

kiwifruit
17th February 2006, 13:00
welcome :)