PDA

View Full Version : Making One BIke from two

stocky
16th February 2006, 20:18
im looking at purchasing a gsxr600k2 that has failed its entry to nz roads due to damage to the frame...
i am thinking of buying a frame if possible and just transfering all the gear across is this legal? and which chassis number etc would i use?
when you buy a frame from a bike wrecker does it come with the necessary paperwork to vin it and get it on the road?
thanks in advance

FlyingDutchMan
16th February 2006, 20:50
I wouldn't touch a frame unless its been vinned in NZ at some stage. Even then I wouldn't buy it with first checking with the authorities that it can be registered. But as far as I understand it, if the frame is regoable, and the rest of the stuff is up to standard, you can get it recertified (expensive) and on the road.

Big Chim
16th February 2006, 21:00
I bought 2 CBR's off a guys where i swapped a few bits over and got one going. They were both dereg cause they were bought wrecked at auction. The guy had all the paper work etc that was needed when he got it from the auction. Because both the frames had previously vinned in new zelanad and had NZ vinn numbers they just use those rego'd it all up. However last time i talked to him he said they had changed the rules and the bike now has to get checked over at like for different stages when puttin it together. one stage that sticks out is before its painted and after. Like in the previous post check it out with the authorites to know exactly is going on and also find out if they know of any cahnges to those rules that may be coming in in the near future cause i would but it past them to give you all this info then walk in the next week and they tell you its all changed with no warning the week before which means you can lose mostly time and even money on that one.

My general impression is that it will be fine.

PM me for any other questions with regards to the process i went through

SPman
17th February 2006, 00:21
Dover knows how to make one bike into two..........:whistle:

bugjuice
17th February 2006, 08:18
I'm putting a bike together now.. didn't think to ask, cos I've done a few and never had any probs.
The previous frame cracked and couldn't be fixed (really wouldn't want to!), so I've bought a new frame and I'm about 80% thru the job. I've not heard of any probs, and never had any myself. If they've changed the rules, I'm gonna be fucked off. I guess I'll have to go check then..

ManDownUnder
17th February 2006, 08:21
Dover knows how to make one bike into two..........:whistle:

Bullshit - I've never seen his bikes in two bits...

12 - 15 would be the average... surely?

bugjuice
17th February 2006, 09:11
ok, just called a couple of places, and you do not have to get anything certified until the vehicle is complete and it doesn't really matter too much where parts come from, as long as they have receipts (must look for mine!).

If you modify it in any way (like stick a 1000cc engine in a 600cc frame etc), then it has to get certified during the build. If it's just a straight swap frame-for-frame or engine swap etc, keep the receipts and just go a COF (Certificate Of Fitness) centre and present the bike.

You may need to book it in and/or call ahead to make sure they have a motorcycle tech guy there to look over the bike. The regular flavour car guys can't do it. You need to fill in a couple of forms to say that it has a new frame/engine etc and the numbers, and Robert's your fathers brother.

Total cost - can't remember, but last time I did it, you pay for a new COF (which translates to a WOF when complete), Rego, Plates and fees. It was about $250 a few years back, but could be a bit more now..

Just make sure it's as stock as can be, even with ugly reflectors on etc, then once it's certified, then you can do what you want, and it will be as easy as that.