PDA

View Full Version : Viewing MotoGP 2004

Deano
3rd April 2004, 07:39
I heard you can pay to view the MotoGP over the net.

Now Im certainly no computer techie, but what are the chances of someone knowledgable in each 'area' out there downloading the races onto DVD's for mass viewing by KBers. OR, placing the file onto this site so we can burn onto a DVD ourselves.

Copyright issues ??

Is this a possibility? I would be keen to chip some $$ to watch the GP for sure.

Cleve
6th April 2004, 09:59
Not sure about that but will ask my IT guy and my work. However it is obscene that Sky won't run GP's this year. A most amazing year is in stall. They claim there is no interest in MotoGP so that is why they won't do it. I say TELL THEM WE WANT IT.
It doesn't have to be live. A delayed full coverage on a Monday evening instead would be almost as good.

k14
6th April 2004, 10:17
I think there is a way to get the auzzie tv via satellite over here. But I don't know if the free to air channels brodcast motogp live or not. Don't know how much it would cost or what is required to do it but i know of some people that can get the auzzie tv over here. Also depends where you live in NZ, south island might be a bit sketchy, maybe only north island can get it.

Anyone know about this, or am i just talking out of my arse??

duckman
6th April 2004, 10:23
We tried to download the coverage last year but the files seem to be protected. So, you can watch it live on Motogp.com but record it. (or at least I couldn't save it) :doh:

riffer
6th April 2004, 10:39
I think there is a way to get the auzzie tv via satellite over here ... Anyone know about this, or am i just talking out of my arse??
AFAIK, Telstra in Aussie transmit on the Optus satellite. I think they've changed the system to digital over there - however that could be to our advantage as Sky here use the same system and same satellite so anyone who has Sky Digital should be able to get to the satellite which controls the signal.

In theory what it should take is an ability to find the channel on the Optus satellite and decode/descramble the signal.

There is a bit on the net about doing this on BSkyB in the UK - I recall my cousin used to have an old laptop connected to his (disconnected) BSkyB disk descrambling the signal on the fly.

As far as legalities I'm not a lawyer - it's definitely not ethical - can you claim ownership of electronic digital data that's thrown out into the air? Probably they could do you for unauthorised possession of decoding software.

It must be able to be done though. Pity I've got Saturn Cable Sky - no show there...

riffer
6th April 2004, 10:43
A quick search reveals the following legal method:

http://www.hooktech.co.nz/products.htm

k14
6th April 2004, 10:45
Nah, i am talking about the free to air channels which don't need decoding. There are some that are broadcast over the satellites, but i don't have any idea how to do it.

As regard to decoding the encoded signal, it hasn't been accomplished yet. You can get programs to decode normal uhf sky on your computer (videocrypt encoded) but no one has cracked the system that sky satellite uses as of yet.

k14
6th April 2004, 10:51
A quick search reveals the following legal method:

http://www.hooktech.co.nz/products.htm

Yeah, thats what you can use to watch free to air satellite tv, but from the channel list, i highly doubt there are any channels that broadcast the motogp live.

Although there are some european channels and they might have it on, just in a different language. Have to do some more investigating.