PDA

View Full Version : Outta here!

emaN
17th February 2006, 11:29
Off on long-awaited-much-needed holidays! :thud:

Back in 10days :headbang:

Heading to Lake Waikeremoana, then 'round the East Cape...taking the cage cos a) bike's in bits
b) got fishn rods, trampin gear, possibly mtb's to take as well

So :Playnice: and :scooter: safe, yeh?!

I'll have a :drinkup: for ya's when i get my feet up...

Laters! :moon:

geez - that's the most smiley face thingys i've ever used!

Colapop
17th February 2006, 11:33
There's a Laundromat in Wairoa now (My old man's place - Kea Hire) if you need to clean your gears. Real nice country up there. Get out to the far side of Waikereiti if you can there's a stream over there that I've always found to be productive - and that's all I'll tell ya!
Have a good 'un

emaN
17th February 2006, 11:41
Nice one Cola!
My gruts get a bit high after a couple days tramping & standing around in water!

I'll make a note of that stream - stoneflies? other nymphs? trial 'n error i guess!

NotaGoth
17th February 2006, 11:48
Enjoy your trip. :2thumbsup

DemonWolf
17th February 2006, 11:48
Have a good 10 days off! Let us know if ya actually catch anything if ya go fishing =)

Colapop
17th February 2006, 11:51
Nice one Cola!
My gruts get a bit high after a couple days tramping & standing around in water!

I'll make a note of that stream - stoneflies? other nymphs? trial 'n error i guess!
:nono: I've said enough already - you'll be wanting me to come up there and cast for ya next! (which I wouldn't mind either - lovely spot)

emaN
28th February 2006, 12:52
We left on Monday (having spent Sat pulling bike apart & Sunday at Paeroa), and drove to L Waikaremoana via Murupara, Minginui etc...

After 80 odd kms of gravel we found a DOC campsite right on the lakefront; couldn't have been more picturesque! A tiny bay, flanked by two 'headlands' jutting out, looking across to a high, rocky, rugged ridge angling away from us.

Stayed there 3 nights; went for a tramp (rather, i got 'tricked' into doing a 5hr one! but it was cool, must admit), went fishing up the Mokau Stream (which is where the DOC camp is), and spent a day lazing in the sun...all good!

From there to Frasertown, then up past the Ruakituri (heard so much about this place, wanted to check it out) on to Gizzy to stock up on supplies.

Stayed in Tolaga Bay, hoping to fish off the pier, but it's closed. Don't stop the locals tho'; when the contractors knock off, out comes the ladder...bob's yer dad's brother!

Meandered thru' more East Coast valleys and little towns, eventually coming to Te Araroa, where my Great-grandad had been a builder, and my grandad pulled tits... Met some locals who remembered 'em both, and showed us some houses he'd built & the farm they worked on - that was a highlight!

Got up early and were treated to an amazing sunrise - breathtaking array of colors and shades... pretty friggin' cool!

On to Te Kaha where we camped on my bro-in-laws section; he went for a dive & got 5crays; i went for a kayak and almost sank cos the plug weren't there; tash tried snorkelling for the 1st time and now wants all the gears!

Home Sunday evening.

The weather was amazing the whole way around. Been wanting to get to Waikaremoana & Te Araroa for years; finally done it.

I'll put pix up on our site and put the link on here when i do...

Oh, but i'll include 1 pic of a trout outta the Mokau Strm...released 20% of fish hooked....but i'll let you work that out!

DemonWolf
28th February 2006, 12:55
Looks good... good writeup.. Well done that man!

emaN
6th March 2006, 11:51
Here's (most of) our pix from our break...

http://community.webshots.com/user/jontash4

Matt Bleck
6th March 2006, 13:18
Nice fish!!!!