PDA

View Full Version : Skippy - cultural icon or?

mstriumph
18th February 2006, 00:44
so, anyway, i was in the post office yesterday an there was this woman there with this baby kangaroo that had been hit on the road and which she was, from the odds and sods of conversation i half heard as i was buying my stamps, nursing back to health ...........

and she was SURROUNDED by peop.s all "ohhing" and "ahhhing" and "isn't it just tooooooooo SWEETing" and stroking it and stuff [the roo, the ROO damnit!]

an Aborigine woman with two small kiddies was also in the crush - she reached over and stroked the small animal, turned to her kiddies and said "just this size, see ---- he'd be good and tender............."

:whistle: u coulda heard a PIN drop :rofl:

was GONNA post this in that nice 'cultural differences' thread we had going ... but someone had to go and lock it soooo ..... mutter mutter

scumdog
18th February 2006, 00:54
I've shot a squillion wallabies ("wobblies") near Waimate area, the hind legs are just as good as venison and are easier to cook

Icon? Ican cook 'em!!

Pathos
18th February 2006, 01:07
I've always found the idea of a national icon that people go out and shoot now and then rather odd...

scumdog
18th February 2006, 01:20
I've always found the idea of a national icon that people go out and shoot now and then rather odd...

I know - but wallabies are easier to shoot than kiwis!!:wari: :pinch:

Marmoot
18th February 2006, 06:12
and she was SURROUNDED by peop.s all "ohhing" and "ahhhing" and "isn't it just tooooooooo SWEETing" and stroking it and stuff [the roo, the ROO damnit!]

yea.....this got me thinking something pleasant for a while........I just watched SinCity last night........

ManDownUnder
18th February 2006, 06:22
I know - but wallabies are easier to shoot than kiwis!!:wari: :pinch:

True... and I'd start with Larkham...

SixPackBack
18th February 2006, 06:26
Very amusing MStriumph.......Mrs Aboriginal Lady is practical and honest, admirable traits

ManDownUnder
18th February 2006, 06:26
an Aborigine woman with two small kiddies was also in the crush - she reached over and stroked the small animal, turned to her kiddies and said "just this size, see ---- he'd be good and tender............."

I love it. The difference of attitudes between consumers and getherers.

She was probably being too honest for those around her LMAO!

Skyryder
18th February 2006, 07:32
A few years back 'roo meat was being sold in butcher shops. And about this time there was a programme Skippy the kangaroo in which my two girls used to watch. There use to be Skippy cornflakes that we use to get them.

My youngest she was eight or nine was so appalled that 'skippy meat' was being sold that she becam a vegertarian. She still is to this day.

As an aside I have always been prouder of our kiwi icon as a protected species than the Australian kangaroo which is a pest. There's something deep in there but since I've got hangover I can not find it.

Skyryder

SPman
18th February 2006, 08:44
Reminds me of a time when Mrs eX was talking to an old guy in Mt Hagen...
"I don't like Japanese"...."Oh,why not?'..........."Too stringy!"

Big Dave
18th February 2006, 14:00
We used to go out spotlighting near Taranna is Tassie and bag a heap for dog food. All they are good for.
(except for passing off as a delicacy to unsuspecting tourists). Snake is much nicer.

Patrick
18th February 2006, 14:12
Why did they stop Kiwi Burgers at McDonalds...mmmmmmmm... Kiwi.....

phoenixgtr
18th February 2006, 14:14
yea.....this got me thinking something pleasant for a while........I just watched SinCity last night........

O yeah, I know what your saying

perhaps she could skin it make herself a skirt that isn't see through!

Big Dave
18th February 2006, 15:21
I just checked the pic - nice dress. the scene reminded me of.........banjos

SPman
18th February 2006, 15:26
Downtown Toodyay.....?

janno
18th February 2006, 15:39
Roos are awfully cute and sweet, and a deadly effin menace on the roads if you hit them on a bike. And of course if you manage to avoid the first one, probably one of it's equally thick friends will bounce right in to you instead. The french frigate visiting Brisbane at the mo has just stocked up on roo meat after having had some at a gourmet function. Those guys like it just as much as venison.