PDA

View Full Version : UK "L"'s

RantyDave
18th February 2006, 07:58
I have a mate staying who has her UK learners. Is she allowed a go on my bike? (250cc, with L plates)?

Dave

SPman
18th February 2006, 08:16
Yes - cant see she'd have any problem if pulled over.

Skyryder
19th February 2006, 20:52
I have a mate staying who has her UK learners. Is she allowed a go on my bike? (250cc, with L plates)?
Dave

I very much doubt it. She has a UK licence not a NZ one. As far as I know there is no international licence other than for a full licence.

I would err in the side of caution. If she gets pinged or even worse..........just dont think she'd have a lege to stand on.......and it could be very expensive at best.

Skyryder

Well if she's on her UK learners than that means she has passed the Compulsary Basic Training (CBT) course, with is supposed to be equal to your Basic Handling course to get your learners.

So technically she is at the same riding level, but whether the coppers over here will accept that is another matter.

If it's an issue then give the LTSA or whatever a call and ask.

Zebedee
21st February 2006, 16:28
... she has passed the Compulsary Basic Training (CBT) course ... Show me someone who's failed their CBT ... :D

Seriously, the missus wanted to transfer her UK car provisional (L) licence to speed up the process of getting her full kiwi licence.

In the end, it would have been just as easy to start from scratch.

If she did start from scratch, it's simple and easy, and plod know that you aren't trying to pull the wool if you do get stopped ... 10c :niceone:

I knew a guy that failed the CBT... just couldn't get the hang of it... shouldn't have ridden at all really. Some people can't do more than one thing at a time.

After reviewing the license conditions over here, and seeing as I'd be chained to a 250 for two years I did DAS in the UK instead, means I've got a license to ride anything I want :D

Dart
22nd February 2006, 12:44
I recomend you check it with LTSA or AA, but my opinion, that YES, she can ride, but she have the same restrictions she have in UK., and she can only ride for 12 months from her most recent entry to NZ.

Some history, guys...
This Convention signed first in 1949, and then being signed by many countries, including NZ and UK, and even Russia (my country, guys, don't recomend you to meet Russian road police, you'll be surprised).. Well, it says that the countries, who signed this Convention, must accept NATIONAL driver licences from other countries, but the same restrictions apply as in the country of issue.
So, you actually don't need IDP to drive in another countries, if they signed this document, they should accept your national driver license. However, some countries introduce their own rules a bit limitating this Convention, e.g. in NZ you can use your overseas license for 1 year since date of entry, in Russia, if you're russian citizen, you can't use overseas license at all, if you're not Russian citizen, you can use it for 3 months...

Matt
22nd February 2006, 21:46
After your UK CBT you can only ride a 125cc max though, so your 250 would be out. AFAIK, you can't "fail" a CBT (it's training not a test), although the instructor can insist on additional training if you're really crap!

Matt

After your UK CBT you can only ride a 125cc max though, so your 250 would be out. AFAIK, you can't "fail" a CBT (it's training not a test), although the instructor can insist on additional training if you're really crap!

Matt

Our survey says... nope.

CBT is a test of sorts, if the instructor doesn't think you're safe on the roads then you won't pass... and you have to pass a theory test before you take the CBT at all...

Ixion
22nd February 2006, 21:53
People have failed the CBT. More by lack of confidence than anything I think, because most of the testers will let you have repeated tries until you get it right. But some folk have come off and been to upset to continue.

m99dws
23rd February 2006, 00:45
You can fail the CBT like anything else - the instructor has to be accountable for the fact you are about to go out on your own into the big world.
By UK law you are then restricted to a maximum size of 125cc not exceeding 11Kw, until you pass your test.
You can also have a provisional licence and not done the CBT, which would mean a 'no' for riding at all.

Dart
23rd February 2006, 06:25
Anyway, why not get a NZ Learner's and avoid headaches??? Its only 110$ (much cheaper than flight from UK), and she will easily pass theory and BHST, if she can ride.

Matt
23rd February 2006, 08:07
Our survey says... nope.

CBT is a test of sorts, if the instructor doesn't think you're safe on the roads then you won't pass... and you have to pass a theory test before you take the CBT at all...

Never heard of it though - think taking an NZ learners is the way forward if she really wants to ride over here...

CBT is the first step in learning - then theory & practical tests, no need to do the theory first....

gixermike
23rd February 2006, 20:38
I emailed LTSA recently as were moving out around august. The girlfreind passed her uk restricted full licence (full licence test taken on a bike under 33bhp mean your restricted to under 33bhp for 2 years...take it on bigger bike over 33bhp mean full unrestricted licence).
LTSA replied that she could ride for a year to the conditions of her licence (i.e power limit, but no night time or lower speed limits....) and that they would send me a letter confirming this should she get stopped.
Not sure how this works really as she has passed the same requirements as the full NZ test.....and even if she was a learner could ride a 70bhp 250cc 2 smoke...
think it may be easier for her to pass her full nz licence before the year is up and ride what she likes...

you'll be glad to hear it has just started snowing in London....not jealous of summer at all!

Dart
23rd February 2006, 20:59
How she can pass NZ full if she haven't actually got neither UK full nor NZ Learners&Restricted?
I thought that only full licences of other countries can be coverted into NZ full.

Zebedee
26th February 2006, 19:00
To add to what I said above ... and after re-reading it I must have been having a bad day when I posted it :brick:

When we contacted LTSA, they did say that they do give credit for the length of time that a person has been driving on L plates in the UK, as long as you cross their palm with silver. Unfortunately, I can't remember how much they charged for this “assessment”, but it was probably around the $40 mark.

What that meant was that it speeded up the transition from NZ Learner to NZ Restricted, because she didn't need to wait the six months before applying for the Restricted.

From that point of view it's certainly worthwhile using your UK L or restricted to speed the NZ licence process up.

However, I think that you would be chancing it a bit to ride a bike over here on a UK L licence without starting the NZ licensing process ... 10c :niceone:

Dart
27th February 2006, 10:05
Heh, anyway if she don't break the rules, she won't be stopped just for license check, I think...

RantyDave
27th February 2006, 10:21
Blimey, this still going?

It was only, like, an afternoon jaunt on my 250. Following SPman's directions and the hope that discretion and common sense would somehow infect any police officer she may encouter, Liz went and had a /very/ pleasant afternoon trundling round the bays. All good stuff.

It may have been worth her picking up a NZ learners license since she has been known to have bursts of living in NZ. However, having just bought a house in the UK may well put the dampners on that one....

Dave

gixermike
28th February 2006, 05:20
Basically the two countries licence routes aren't equivalent anymore.

Ok. NZ full licence route
basic handling, then lerarner (250cc), then retricted licence (250cc with some limits on time / pillions etc), then full licence (test taken on anything below 250CC) AFAIK

uk, basic handling (CBT) then a learner (13bhp = 125cc max, no time or speed restriction, but no pillion), then full test.

Both full tests are the same content, standards etc and are equivalent to NZ full test. If you take it on a bike below 33bhp you can only ride up to 33bhp for two years (after which you can ride anything without retesting). if you take it on a bike above 33bhp you can ride what you like striaght away. she would struggle to u turn a bike above 33bhp as she has midget legs, so took it on a 125.
so she has a full licence as far as LTSA are concerend, and has done a test equivalent to the NZ full licence so can convert to NZ by doing the normal full test (only has to do practical coz she hasn't held it for more than two years). The power limit being neither here nor there for taking the full test.

However, the international driving agreement says she has to ride within the limits of her current licence. If the uk bit of paper says she has to have a pink helmet on in the uk, she would have to in NZ regardless of what the normal NZ restriction is.
I think you're mistaking uk 'restricted' (i.e UK full test) as being same as NZ restricted (CC limit, night time, speed?, pillions). UK you take either direct Access course (full test on big bike, or progressive route...full test on smaller bike) no one does one then ther other, unles they want to jump the 2 year wait.

bit longwinded, but she has full uk, so can take NZ full within the year. that should confuse a few policemen if she gets stopped, hence the letter from LTSA.