PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't a similar event get arranged at Manfield

wkid_one
3rd April 2004, 18:03
Guys,

Having spent time in Auckland - it was and is a regular occurence to get out to Puke - yet the same can't be said for Wellingtonians getting to Manfield. Why is this? Even I, if enough people coming warrants an excursion - would come along for a few laps....

Who would be interested?

Possible Days:

30th April
2nd May - we can hire the track
14th May
21st May

$80 is the going rate

http://www.manfeild.co.nz/images/track.jpg

James Deuce
3rd April 2004, 18:28
Because I've fallen off at Coke, Higgins, and Dunlop and my wife won't let me.

She fails to compute that I've never been hurt on the track, but then again accidents on the track always cost us more money than accidents on the road.

wkid_one
3rd April 2004, 18:32
Shit - why give up now - there a 11 odd corners left for you to fall off on yet.

James Deuce
3rd April 2004, 18:35
I said that but she didn't think it was funny.

All on different bikes thankfully with about a year's difference gap between bingles. Still if you're not falling off you're not trying hard enough, and if you're not trying hard enough you're not learning :)

wkid_one
3rd April 2004, 18:36
Still if you're not falling off you're not trying hard enough, and if you're not trying hard enough you're not learning :)
A man after my own heart - this is exactly my thoughts. I am just at the stage where road riding is life threatening for me - so I will continue my riding endeavours on the track - where should I fall - the place is designed so I don't hit anything

Racey Rider
4th April 2004, 07:41
I'ld be there.
OK, so it wouldn't be a challenge keeping up with me, but it might add some "Interest" in your laps, trying to to get passed the green blob!

30th April, 2nd May, would be a bit close to the Puke day for me (if I get there). Still got to watch the pennies.

14th May/ 21st May May be a go'er.

Deano
4th April 2004, 07:44
I said that but she didn't think it was funny.

All on different bikes thankfully with about a year's difference gap between bingles. Still if you're not falling off you're not trying hard enough, and if you're not trying hard enough you're not learning :)

I prefer to try as hard as possible while staying upright - if learning means throwing my $20 k bike down the track, I think I will just stagnate where I am thank you. :whistle:

Now if I had a second bike that I didn't give two stuffs about, Im sure I could pull those lap times down and wouldn't mind trying harder.

You can still learn without falling off - its just that the learning curve is not so steep !! (or as painful and expensive)

Hitcher
4th April 2004, 17:57
There was something on at Manfeild yesterday... I rode past real slow to see through the gaps in the fence but all I could see were tents in the infield. I don't think it was anything to do with tent racing...

Posh Tourer :P
4th April 2004, 20:25
I dunno, those new-fangled tents these days......

James Deuce
4th April 2004, 20:58
There was something on at Manfeild yesterday... I rode past real slow to see through the gaps in the fence but all I could see were tents in the infield. I don't think it was anything to do with tent racing...

Mate of mine's Dad owns Saker cars. It was GT racing.

bungbung
5th April 2004, 08:47
Not tent racing then?

svs
5th April 2004, 13:18
I'd be interested. The weekday tests are kinda difficult due to work and not having any leave left.

It would be difficult to hire the whole circuit. I spoke to Manfeild and you can hire the circuit for 'rider training' at $1650, or just hire the circuit for $2500. Unfortunately you need public liability insurance/ ambulance /paramedics etc. so the costs add up. For bike clubs it helps to be affiliated with MNZ.

Better bets are the test days. These are geared to competion bikes/cars but they wouldn't stop road bikes providing you had all the relevant safety gear.