PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend helmet

Hornet
18th February 2006, 12:48
Hi friends,
Now these days with great weather I want to take my bike to work, but arrive there, sweating profusely on my scalp, amongst other places.....
Is there anything that may help? I now have to go under the handsdryer in the men's room with my head before I can enter any meeting. I feel like Mr Bean in one of his films.
is there something like craeting a layer in the helmet or what helmet do you recommend that has good ventilation. I now have a flip open helmet of Bayard.

happy for any suggestion!!

Cheers

Johan

MSTRS
19th February 2006, 11:57
Most full face helmets have vents. Of course some are better than others. I don't know which tho. In saying, my Shoei isn't bad

parsley
19th February 2006, 12:33
I have a "helmet sock" I got from Motomail. It's like a balaclava but much thinner and it really helps with helmet hair and sweaty scalp. Plus it's much easier to wash!

TygerTung
19th February 2006, 14:12
How about flip up the visor and wear some sunnies and safety glasses?

Graham Allardice
3rd March 2006, 19:02
Try a white helmet! Much cooler and very easy to spot. I use a white Nolan N101VPS flip-face which has excellent ventilation and a flip up/down sun visor which works a treat. Highly recommended.

Graham

Marmoot
3rd March 2006, 19:10
Arai RX7RR series are nicely ventilated. I have never realized how nice the ventilation until I used my AGV Q3 series again, and finding myself sweating where I wasn't a week ago.

The only thing that heats you up is the price......

ZeroIndex
6th March 2006, 07:58
Try a white helmet! Much cooler and very easy to spot. I use a white Nolan N101VPS flip-face which has excellent ventilation and a flip up/down sun visor which works a treat. Highly recommended.

Graham
I read on some touring site (think it was a US or UK one) that there is no 'heat' difference between a white or any color helmet.

I say get something with good ventilation

geoffc
11th March 2006, 16:06
Hi
what helmet do you recommend that has good ventilation.
Johan
Hi Johan
I too would recommend an Arai helmet. :yes: I use a Quantum 2 series. Have used Shoei, A flip open helmet -(Zeus brand), HJC & Nolan. Arai is the best for ventilation by a 'country mile'
Cheers

APPLE
11th March 2006, 19:18
Hi friends,
Now these days with great weather I want to take my bike to work, but arrive there, sweating profusely on my scalp, amongst other places.....
Is there anything that may help? I now have to go under the handsdryer in the men's room with my head before I can enter any meeting. I feel like Mr Bean in one of his films.
is there something like craeting a layer in the helmet or what helmet do you recommend that has good ventilation. I now have a flip open helmet of Bayard.

Cheers

JohanKBC motodesign,race. you cant go wrong there mate?

Hornet
22nd March 2006, 21:47
In the end I tried many of them and walked out with one of the cheapest !!! HJC Cl14, at motom,ail in nice graphics for 149 bucks!!
thanks for your input guys,

Cheers

johan

(Hornet CB900)

Insanity_rules
29th March 2006, 12:57
I agree HJC CL14 is one of the most comfortable sweat free helmets I've ever owned and about the cheapest too.

Bob
2nd April 2006, 21:58
I agree HJC CL14 is one of the most comfortable sweat free helmets I've ever owned and about the cheapest too.

Quick thought re: helmets. Just because one person finds a helmet comfortable, don't think it will be comfortable for you. We all have different shaped heads - ever heard of the old saying "You have either an Arai head or a Shoei head"? Not an urban myth (well until recently, when one of the base-level new Shoei's has been praised by a lot of testers as fitting Arai wearers as well).

Personally, when I had an HJC for testing, I could not get on with it. It felt like it was constantly pressing against my forehead, to the point it was affecting my concentration. But I know someone who has exactly the same one and they love it to bits.

On the "different shaped heads" thing - something to bear in mind if you consider ordering off the internet... if it is a non-local (international) site. Where are they based? Where does their helmet supply come from?

Reason for asking this is that some of the bigger manufacturers (may be a lot more than some) make their helmets to accomodate the head shapes of the domestic market. So an Arai meant for the Asian market will have a different shape to one meant for the European market.

So if possible, always try on a helmet first - OK, you might end up buying from somewhere else, but you need to know it is going to fit correctly.

Bob
2nd April 2006, 22:59
That said, the venting on the HJC was really effective... which was the original point of this thread...

pritch
3rd April 2006, 15:42
I have read good things about the HJC CL14 and it would appear to be extremely good value for money.

I was advised recently by a dealer that if a helmet created a pressure point, tapping the offending part of the cushioning with a hammer relieved the pressure.

Being (sometimes) tactful I didn't point out that this also "relieved" the protection...

Ixion
3rd April 2006, 17:37
You misunderstood. You tap the protuding part of your *head* with the hammer.

The_Dover
3rd April 2006, 17:38
I would always recommend a helmet.

vixter
3rd April 2006, 18:20
I would always recommend a helmet.

hmmm yes dear after getting away with an hefty fine and a period of no licence hmmm say more shall we!!!!