PDA

View Full Version : Engine transplant and the idiot I am

FlyingDutchMan
18th February 2006, 19:50
Well I am an idiot. I spent about 3 hours this morning putting a new (second hand new) into my bike. Quite an involved process. But I got there eventually, pay meticulous detail to make sure every little bit has been placed back on the bike. Everything went back to gether perfectly, didn't miss a single little bit. The carbs were a pain, but they eventually seated home with the aid of a hammer. :shit:

Filled it with water, oil and petrol. Started it. Sounded exactly like a lawn mower, and blowing about as much smoke as one too. This isn't good I was thinking, but I was guessing the smoke was from the excess oil that had been in there (2 litres too much). So I went for a spin around the block and revs wouldn't go over 5k (i.e. managed 23km/h max!). Drove it back up the driveway. Guessed the bike was running way too rich. Turned the fuel tap off and revved the bike as much as I could (unloaded). It struggled its way to 13,000. Getting closer to the redline, I was thinking, but as soon as you put some load on there, she'll bog right down. But it had stopped smoking now. At least one good sign.

Decide to go further for a test ride - but still with 1km from the flat just in case I have to push the damn thing home. Wow! It managed to get to 50km/h eventually. Bikes seems to be revving easier now too. Righty, time to make a visit to the olds. Turned the fuel tap back on and headed for the closest 100km/h piece of road. Low and behold, it actually managed a 100. Then I over over took someone. Hell this is going really good. 20 mins later was turning off to my folks place and the rear sliding round like it wanted to go anywhere but where I was. WTF? I know i did the axel bolt up.

When I stopped I noticed the oil light was on. :doh: Hit the kill switch straight away. Hopping off I noticed the bike was absolutely heamoraging oil like no-one business. Noticed the sump plug was gone! The fucking idiot I was had forgotten tighten the damn thing up more than finger tight. :slap: Had to borrow a car, go back to the flat and flog the sump plug out of the other engine and stick it in, so THEN put in more fresh oil. Two oil changes in the distance of 30km. But aside from that, and a little tuning, it will be like it was meant to be. One the way back to my flat I noticed where the sump plug had finally come out - huge arse oil stain on the road. Luckily it happened only 2ks before I stopped, so minimal damage I recon.

But here is a rule I've discovered: I always forget to do one (exactly one) thing (tighten, replace, fill etc) when working on the bike. This time it just so happened that it was a potentially fatal mistake for the engine. I can see why they wire bolts on race bikes now.

classic zed
18th February 2006, 20:02
There is a rule I try to follow always.

If you put a nut on, or a bolt in, do it up, you might get sidetracked and forget all about it.:thud:

Bonez
18th February 2006, 20:06
Now, prey tell, what did you do with the oil slick you left on the road?

Motu
18th February 2006, 20:56
I'm sure a ''I binned on oil slick...'' thread will soon appear from a ChCh rider....

boomer
18th February 2006, 20:57

Admired it and rode on no doubt :whistle: I'm glad he lives in ChCh :first:
WD Flying Dutch Man.. a lesson learnt :done:

jonbuoy
19th February 2006, 08:21
Yeah easy to forget a nut/screw when doing major works - I'm pretty carefull on sump plugs though..... A blob of twink/white out on the head of the nuts/screws you've torqued up helps. Especially if your doing work over a few weeks and don't remember what you did and didn't torque up.

FlyingDutchMan
19th February 2006, 14:30

Well its in the middle of SH1 (on a passing lane no less). So I went out there with a 44 gallon drum of diesel and tooth brush and cleaned it up of course! :rofl:

Well I recon half it covered my backside and the rear end of the bike (rear wheel ran through it & kicked it up - everything on the back of the bike was dripping oil). I shouldn't have to lube the chain for a good month now I recon. Took it for a burn today. Now revs all the way to the redline nicely, no hesitation or flats spots anywhere. No burning oil, starts easily and idles perfectly. I recon the engine was a good buy. Might have to adjust/swap the clutch over though. Very disconcerting when you're trying to pass someone and the revs climb, but the bike doesn't go any faster.

Bonez
19th February 2006, 14:46
Top reply. Good to see it's running well ;).

R1madness
19th February 2006, 19:31
HAHAHA on ya dutchie. I drained the oil out once . Then got distracted by a phone call. Went back to the bike and poured 3lt of oil thru the motor and onto the floor. I had forgot to put the sump plug back in :argh: :shutup: :shit: . Dont feel bad leaving a bolt loose happens to everyone once. Even those that are not useless bike mechanics:spudwave: :niceone:

Sketchy_Racer
19th February 2006, 20:19
Did you happen to buy this engine of trademe?? through a guy called M-Benseman??

i got a whole heapa shit off him and at real mint prices too!!

Hoon
19th February 2006, 21:52
Yep that is a sin but lesson learned (hey we've all done it before!). The hard fast rule like Classic Zed and any decent mechanic worth their grease ingrained hands will tell you......NEVER put anything on halfway!! You either put it on ALL the way or not on at all.

FlyingDutchMan
20th February 2006, 07:39
Did you happen to buy this engine of trademe?? through a guy called M-Benseman??

i got a whole heapa shit off him and at real mint prices too!!

Yeah I got it off trademe, but not that guy. The price was about right for an engine, but I got lots of other bits with it - entire front + rear brake systems, foot pegs, mounts, handle bars, carbs, airbox, ALL the electronics, exhaust (had been butched though), chain + sprockets (knackered though) and quite a few other bits and pieces. Damn good deal all in all I recon.

sefer
20th February 2006, 10:35
HAHAHA on ya dutchie. I drained the oil out once . Then got distracted by a phone call. Went back to the bike and poured 3lt of oil thru the motor and onto the floor. I had forgot to put the sump plug back in :argh: :shutup: :shit:

:lol: I'll go you one up on that one, I did that, 'fixed' the problem, put more oil in and had forgotten I still had the oil pump off :slap: Not one of my better efforts, just goes to show that you should really stop working once your sick of doing it.

Sounded exactly like a lawn mower, and blowing about as much smoke as one too. This isn't good I was thinking, but I was guessing the smoke was from the excess oil that had been in there (2 litres too much). So I went for a spin around the block and revs wouldn't go over 5k (i.e. managed 23km/h max!)

The zxr did the exact same thing once it was back together after I did the camchain, it was just the excess oil that had made it's way around while I was moving the engine.