PDA

View Full Version : First ride down SH22

peripheral
18th February 2006, 20:14
Having mostly been doing the Coro loop and a few trips down Scenic Drive and out Hunua ways, I decided it was time to explore SH22. Filled up at Bombay BP, took off towards Tuakau and round my nemisis 35km corner and then straight down 22 turning off to Raglan, great lunch in Raglan, then into Hamilton to visit a mate and then home via SH 1 as I had had enough for the day.

There were bugger all bikes out on 22 (actually none), a group of Harley's at Raglan having a gathering and plenty of bikes heading South on SH 1 on my way back home.

As well as being my first time down SH22, it was also the first time I've experienced a tank slapper on the road (entered a corner, realised that the light colored tarmac was actually that fine loose gravel, followed by the bike deciding it wanted some rodeo riding) all was well as I managed to ride it out before the next corner. That was not too long after I'd gotten into a good groove damn it.

Also my first time riding my road bike on the gravel for more than 100 metres, when i turned off towards Raglan the road changed to gravel, hmmmm I thought wonder how long the gravel lasts for maybe I should turn back, but being a guy I decided to keep going as turning around would infer that I didn't know where I was going and we all know that wasn't true. Anyway the tarmac emerged and then turned into gravel shortly afterwards, thankfully didn't last too much longer. I've decided my bike is better on the tarmac than gravel, no bike trips to Lake Waikaremoana for me.

All in all a good ride, the road's a bit patchy in places but what NZ road isn't. Next time I'll ride a bit further south along 22 and explore some of the other areas around South Waikato that I've only ever driven past.

Big Chim
18th February 2006, 20:23
Great to hear you had fun in our back yard hahaha, tis good riding round there. Good to hear ya made it out safe after the gravel. Almost ate me once as well

peripheral
18th February 2006, 20:39
I grew up in the Waikato so know there's plenty of good riding to be had down there, based on driving the roads or just knowing the general area.

I'll let you guys know next time I'm headin down that way. Was feeling in the mood for a me myself and I day today.

Big Chim
18th February 2006, 21:30
Thats awsome bro, Yeah its good to get out and hit the roads by yourself at times. definatly let us know when your down these ways and we'll get some riding in.

Zed
19th February 2006, 17:44
...I decided it was time to explore SH22.Choice road that 22, pity it's full of huge pot holes, gravel on 35k corners, and feasting wildlife around every bend...it's a death trap for new players, stay away at all costs!!! :msn-wink: j/k

...There were bugger all bikes out on 22 (actually none)Actually I rode the entire length of it both directions yesterday, was an absolute joy, even went to Rags for lunch too, must have missed ya! :spudbn:

Zapf
19th February 2006, 20:41
hahah... u brave man riding down 22 as a new road by yourself :)

peripheral
19th February 2006, 21:47
hahah... u brave man riding down 22 as a new road by yourself :)

It wasn't so bad, bit rough in places but I take it easy if I don't know the road and it's a road like that.

Well, you're welcome to come along next time and show me the way. You can go first, yell out if you hit any nasty spots :)

What's the road like past the turn off to Raglan? I'm familiar with the road further down around Te Kauwhata & Pirongia.

Zapf
20th February 2006, 15:00
quite good as a recall.... haven't been down that road for ages.... ever since the big slips...

Zed
20th February 2006, 19:35
...haven't been down that road for ages.... ever since the big slips...You are a wise man Felix, that road is just falling away underneath the repetitive weight of vehicles and livestock, not to mention the huge boulders that are being hurled off the tops of mountains crashing below, it's a literal minefield down there...you've gotta be crazy to ride it i tell ya! :buggerd:

Zapf
3rd March 2006, 15:24
You are a wise man Felix, that road is just falling away underneath the repetitive weight of vehicles and livestock, not to mention the huge boulders that are being hurled off the tops of mountains crashing below, it's a literal minefield down there...you've gotta be crazy to ride it i tell ya! :buggerd:

yea... the crazy nutters who ride that road won't last long I tell ya... :pinch: :corn:

Marmoot
3rd March 2006, 15:52
quite good as a recall.... haven't been down that road for ages.... ever since the big slips...

Miaow..... <_<

NinjaBoy
3rd March 2006, 22:34
yea... the crazy nutters who ride that road won't last long I tell ya... :pinch: :corn:

yep... came up 22 on way home from Manfield last weekend. Keep away as its still nasty as... :whistle:

jonbuoy
4th March 2006, 11:59
Yeah I rode down there after those slips, was pissing down with rain, nasty in places. There was lots of loose seal built up on the right hand side of the lane and an outrageously large patch of shiny tarmac that cost me a new pair of shorts... :whistle: Still more fun than droning along the motorway though!