PDA

View Full Version : plate size

painkilla
19th February 2006, 13:58
whats the smallest number plate i can put on the back of my bike ?

cheers

cowboyz
19th February 2006, 14:13
I didnt realise that you could get different size plates. I just got what they gave me.??

painkilla
19th February 2006, 14:19
i just got what they gave me as well, but its way to big,looks so ugly

just hoping i could get smaller legal one

GIXser
19th February 2006, 14:35
just cut the edges of the plate" until its a third of the size get a black marker and make a new border, iv'e been pulled over several times and they never questioned me about it-- "make sure there is a little white left on the edges of the lettering

ZeroIndex
19th February 2006, 14:50
just cut the edges of the plate" until its a third of the size get a black marker and make a new border, iv'e been pulled over several times and they never questioned me about it-- "make sure there is a little white left on the edges of the lettering

do you have a picture of what that looks like on your bike?

bugjuice
19th February 2006, 16:49
sixpackback has a tiny plate, don't think it's legal actually, but he never gets any grief about it..

I think anything from standard isn't allowed, but by how much, I've got no idea. Just do it and don't draw attention to yourself

GIXser
20th February 2006, 09:27
do you have a picture of what that looks like on your bike?

i will post a pic tonight ,, rules are basically like this: if you are a dickhead on the road, a cop will pull you over, and slap a fine on ya ass, no matter what size the plate, i think and from experience, they have better things to do than to pull you over for a plate, as long as you can read it, Thats not to say though ,, if you get a "Dickhead cop" and we all know there's plenty of em" ( just like you get dickhead bikers)that has nothing better to do, and just doesnt like the look of you , because you are havin fun, He has an excuse,, however they are few and far between,
(touch wood, touch wood, touch wood touch wood, :rolleyes: )

Lou Girardin
20th February 2006, 09:43
Anything other than a standard 'as issued' plate is illegal. Having said that, I ran a cut down plate on my cage for years without a problem. Apart from a "that's illegal" from a cop I knew.

loosebruce
20th February 2006, 18:23
Number plates????????????

madboy
20th February 2006, 18:36
Number plates????????????You remember those, they used to be popular - but they're soooooooo last year.

What?
20th February 2006, 19:50
Technically, it ain't even legal to drill another mounting hole in a plate.
In the real world, if you get done for a modified plate, you were probably cruising for a much bigger fall...

zeRax
20th February 2006, 20:55
what kind of fine is involved if u get done for illegal plate anyway?

Gremlin
20th February 2006, 21:32
Anything other than a standard 'as issued' plate is illegal.
Now this is interesting, as I mentioned this to scumdog and dyna in passing as I got my bike as it is. They both said it was OK.

My plate is trimmed to the digits, with a very small amount of white around the digits. It measures 230mm x 65mm. I have passed many cops, none have pulled me over.

Piccy (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24047)

Lou Girardin
21st February 2006, 08:20
Now this is interesting, as I mentioned this to scumdog and dyna in passing as I got my bike as it is. They both said it was OK.

My plate is trimmed to the digits, with a very small amount of white around the digits. It measures 230mm x 65mm. I have passed many cops, none have pulled me over.

Piccy (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24047)

That's discretion in action. But then you meet Officer Arsehole.

skidMark
21st February 2006, 08:37
Technically, it ain't even legal to drill another mounting hole in a plate.
In the real world, if you get done for a modified plate, you were probably cruising for a much bigger fall...

another hole they don't have any to start with....

yeah ive been pulled by a cop and had a chat with him about this he said you must have the standard plate being replectorized and all that....

what vehicles need is a barcode plate or some crap i dunno that would make them small

and LOL bruce

What?
22nd February 2006, 05:56
another hole they don't have any to start with....
Yeah, I heard there were some like that. The hole drillers must have been on strike... Still didn't make it legal to drill a hole, though.

ezinnz
22nd February 2006, 06:33
"Displayed Other Than Appropriate Registration Plates" $200 instant fine.

Same cost as obscuring your plate to avoid camera photos.

rustys
22nd February 2006, 06:42
:whocares: I took my original plate to a sign writer who does grafics, put the plate on a scanner,sized it down to 130ml across and 50ml high so that it would fit across the rear gard, used silver reflective tape same as the background of the original.it looks like a miniturized version of the original. Had this on for two years,traveled 12000klm,gone through testing stations no problem.
But in simple terms its illegal.!!!!
Probably ive behaved myself on the road and not had any need to be pulled over, and if so it would depend on the officer and what type of mood he's in at the time to give me a ticket for this offence.
Regarding the fine, ive built heaps of flip up no plates manual operated,a mate of mine got pulled over one day and forgot to flip it down , the cop saw it looked at it said thats an ingenious set up mate,and because he had his senior officer in the car who also saw it,gave him a ticket,as theyed never seen anything like it before,it took them a while to go through the book to find what charge to ping him on, all they could book him on was obscure plate, resulting in my mate paying $50.00.:niceone:

Have fun
"GROW OLD DISGRACEFULLY"

What?
28th February 2006, 19:00
Yep, seems the new plates (the low profile ones at least) don't come with holes drilled in them. Which makes me wonder how you are supposed to bolt them on, coz drilling holes in Helen's plates still ain't legal.
The older "barn door" plates came with 2 holes drilled at the top. They are famous for snapping off when mounted onto big singles.

Troll
1st March 2006, 04:56
any modification to a plate or making your own plates is illegal

got a ticket a few years ago for making my own plate

i went to court and fought it on the basis of safety ie the plate as issued constituted a dangerous fixture or fitting and as such contravened the WOF regulations

pigs declined to press any evidence after I presented my case and the case was thrown out of court, because the pigs knew they were backing a lost cause that would render all plates as being illegal

shortly there after those stupid square eyecharts with the characters on two rows were dropped and the old style of plate reintroduced with all the characters on one line

What?
1st March 2006, 05:14
Ain't it funny how the Oz state of Victoria (where the Land Transport Stupidity Authority orwhateverthefucktheyarecallednow get all their ideas from) have quite small plates for bikes, yet our minders refuse to consider the idea...

Gremlin
1st March 2006, 23:05
...have quite small plates for bikes, yet our minders refuse to consider the idea...
Actually, measure the height of the letters on a cage plate, then measure a bikes. The bike plate letters are actually a bit smaller...

But who needs all the white space?? get rid of it :woohoo:

scumdog
1st March 2006, 23:45
Ain't it funny how the Oz state of Victoria (where the Land Transport Stupidity Authority orwhateverthefucktheyarecallednow get all their ideas from) have quite small plates for bikes, yet our minders refuse to consider the idea...

What about other states where a front plate is needed??
Off the record you're least likely to get pulled over for a cut-down plate if it IS the plate for a bike and not some home-made thing, however you can still get away with a home-made one most of the time if it looks real.

Hypthetical problem with a home-made plate is that (if you're rich enough) have two bikes/one rego. - real plate on one, home made on t'other.

And as somebody else said, there is always the chance you'll do something stupid and the modified plate might be yet another ticket....

What?
2nd March 2006, 05:38
What about other states where a front plate is needed??

In Australia??? But, yeah - wouldn't a 916 just look sweet with a plate bolted on the front...

blitz
8th March 2006, 16:16
Can you get plates remade? For example if a puchase a registered bike that has the old school 2 lined number plate can i get a new single line one made/replaced? If so how much will it cost? And how do i go about doing it, post office i pressume. Its just that the big ones are so dam ugly!!!

HenryDorsetCase
8th March 2006, 16:46
Can you get plates remade? For example if a puchase a registered bike that has the old school 2 lined number plate can i get a new single line one made/replaced? If so how much will it cost? And how do i go about doing it, post office i pressume. Its just that the big ones are so dam ugly!!!

I thought you just rocked up to the PO and swapped them (and paid the apppropriate fee and filled in the form etc etc)

blitz
8th March 2006, 18:03
Oh sweet. Ill see if i have time 2moro to go find out.

Lou Girardin
9th March 2006, 07:07

I can change plates at AMPS - $8.80. There's no choice of plates though.

Grahameeboy
9th March 2006, 07:22
Number plates????????????

and mirrors???????????????????????/