PDA

View Full Version : Learner: Road to riding...

james.r
19th February 2006, 20:12
Hey all.

Just in need of a little advice on learning to ride.
Ridden farm bikes in the past, but now living in auckland city and need a road bike to commute. Budget of about 2k for a bike.
Anybody got any suggestions on learning to ride in the city, or training institutions, bearing in mind I'm a poor student...:violin:
Also - should I buy a bike before getting my learners?
and - should I buy my gear before taking basic handling test thingamey?

Apologies for lame questions...gotta start somewhere.

KATWYN
19th February 2006, 20:40
Hey all.

Just in need of a little advice on learning to ride.
but now living in auckland city and need a road bike to commute. .

Wear the right gears (including gloves,proper boots & protective pads) - especially if you are going to take the city on, on two wheels.

I would tend to learn first outside the city where
you aren't dodging all the cars at the same time trying to learn
and get some riding skills. - I still would not advise learning in the city

Ninja
20th February 2006, 08:06
Try RiderSkills, they provide the bike, helmet and training for the basic handling skills certificate. Based in Rosebank road and you can book online.
http://www.riderskills.co.nz

badmofo
20th February 2006, 13:22
yeah I just did my BHS with riderskills, it was quick and easy and they're the cheapest one's I could find $99. And they don't hit you with a big test at the end they just sign each thing off as you go so you don't get nervous and screw up.

$CENSLS1$
23rd February 2006, 19:12
by the sounds of it I'm going to be in your position soon hopefully.Cant wait to get out and about on a Bike :)
Goodluck dude and keep me posted about how you get on (I'll proberbly use most of your info to get my L licence too)

duckaddict
23rd February 2006, 20:26
Hello james.r,

I got my learners 3 weeks ago, and my BHS a week before that.

Check out this thread: learning to ride (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=11251&highlight=lee+hurley)

Lee Hurley is the guy's name - nice chap. He charge $50.00 for the BHS, but if you need some coaching before that it would be extra I think.

Good luck and let us know how it went.
:scooter:

far queue
23rd February 2006, 20:35
what they said ... and welcome aboard

Insanity_rules
24th February 2006, 10:14
Welcome to the nut house (kidding). My advice, rent the bike for your BHS as the cone weave is difficult on a larger 250 Also the 100cc rental bikes are a hoot to ride. Check this site out for your scratch and win practice http://www.drivinginstructor.co.nz/main_frame.php?goto_page=courses/test_menu.php&_title=Courses&sub_menu=common/sub_courses.php
I bought my gear first as its comfortable to do ya test in a proper fitting helmet and jacket. Did my BHS 3 weeks ago and my scratch and win two weeks ago.
City riding is a confidence thing so stick to back roads and country first, that way when you tackle the hard stuff you'll be prepared. Let us know how you got on.

See ya on the black top