PDA

View Full Version : What to do with gear

cold_fusion
20th February 2006, 09:40
Hi,
This question is directed to uni students but anyone could answer it really. I'm going to be biking to uni this year instead of driving but I want to know what you you guys do with your gear? riding pants/jacket etc. The desks at massey are far too small to cram your bag books (eg GIANT physics text book) helmet jacket and weatherproof pants in. I think uni migth have lockers somewhere but I think they are just for international students.
I hope that question made sense.

Jonty
20th February 2006, 10:13
Get an rjays explorer pack rack with one of those airport combination locks with steel cord. You can get a heap of stuff in them then just lock it to the bike. They have wet weather covers included.

Only downside is they are not ideal for burglers with craft knives.

R6_kid
20th February 2006, 10:19
who actually takes their textbook to the lecture...

I just wear jeans and jacket then have my gloves in my helmet. If you dont want to carry your helmet, your bike will probably have a helmet lock on it. Otherwise get a 'wire chain' or whatever they are called.

Most lockers will atleast fit your jacket in them, the ones at auckland uni will accomodate a size L (HJC CL-10).

cold_fusion
20th February 2006, 10:21
Ah ok, thanks for the info. I take my text books to tutorials.

sefer
20th February 2006, 10:24
Your Uni will have lockers somewhere, it's often just a matter of snagging one for yourself early on (most places work on a first come with a padlock first served) or finding a little used building (CHCH has at least some lockers in every building, so if you go to one of the older ones that aren't used as much your more likely to get one). I can't fit my helmet in any of the CHCH Uni or college lockers thou. I use to carry it around, but in the end decided it was actually safer locked to my bike (short bike lock around the bars on the zxr, the krr has a helmet lock).

sefer
20th February 2006, 10:25
Hell man, I don't even buy the books anymore :D

Wolf
20th February 2006, 10:27
Hi,
This question is directed to uni students but anyone could answer it really. I'm going to be biking to uni this year instead of driving but I want to know what you you guys do with your gear? riding pants/jacket etc. The desks at massey are far too small to cram your bag books (eg GIANT physics text book) helmet jacket and weatherproof pants in. I think uni migth have lockers somewhere but I think they are just for international students.
I hope that question made sense.
FFS, grab the biggest, most FUCK-OFF, pack you can, stuff it with your text books, cram all your riding gear into it when you park up and stick the thing beside your desk. After a couple of tutors have tripped over it a couple of times they'll give you two lockers...

Flyingpony
20th February 2006, 22:16
Parking on the new side would be fine for bikes. Just ensure you're locked up nicely as I've known some to go walkies, despite being opposite administration and bus park.

As for your gear. I've always got a bag big enough to hold all my stuff and books. The helmet is either left on the bike (not too likely), or gets carried along and fits nicely under the seats at ordinary tables or around your feet if in lecture theaters. If there's space, hog the seat next to you with your gear.

From what I remember, you shouldn't have troubles with either the physics or computer sides of campus.

Taking your time is the key bit so everything fits and doesn't get knocked.

hazard02
21st February 2006, 07:06
Im in the same boat (first year at massey and riding, wondering what to do with gear). i havnt heard anything about lockers being available to me either, so it looks like im heading down to the bikeshop to price out some pack-racks etc.
Sounds like im going to need a disk lock too.

erik
21st February 2006, 14:26
I go to AUT and have nabbed myself a couple of lockers, one for my helmet and gloves and the other for my jacket and pants.
The first semester I went there I only got one locker and just carried my helmet, but it's easier to lock it up as well.

You should try ringing student information at Massey or the student association to see if they know of any lockers available for students.

sunhuntin
21st February 2006, 17:04
is it possible to fit a top box to your bike? ive got one on mine and that holds everything i need....helmet...jacket [with some moulding and cramming into the airspace inside the helmet, lol. and i can also strap a backpack to the frame work. the givi are secure against theft, unless they take the whole bracket out. also waterproof.