PDA

View Full Version : WORST bike shops

Pages : [1] 2

Hitcher
4th April 2004, 18:08
What is it about bike shops. Do you have to grab sales staff by the freekin' throats to get them out from behind the counter??

WORST BIKE SHOP AWARDS for the Wellington region:

1. Motomart. Out on its own the worst. If the retail staff haven't got a mate to yack to or a mag to read, they wander out the back. I'm tempted to wheel a Duc out the door and see if that gets anybody's attention. Crap location too. An unfriendly experience in all ways.
2. ANZA in Palmerston North. More interested in selling cars, I suspect. The guy behind the counter has his feet superglued to the floor. Its only redeeming feature is it's open on Sundays.
3. Wellington Motorcycles. "OK, so you haven't got it in stock. Any chance of ORDERING ONE IN??" Mrs H had to go to Palmerston North to get a test ride on a new Marauder coz WMC didn't want to get their's wet or something. Offered her a ride on a very used Honda 750 Shadow though...
4. Phil Turnbull in Palmerston North. Although Mrs H got a test ride AND bought her new ride from PTMC she got SERIOUSLY dicked around after riding up from Wellington for her bike's first service. Sawyers/Motorad have now got this job...

Antallica
4th April 2004, 18:28
Whangarei Region:

Moto-One: Unfriendly service, some of the guys are sweet but the main sales/service guys are wankers. Never quote GST on any of their prices even if you ask them to include, causes problems if using cash of course. Even more unhelpful since they lost their FXR spec sheet with all the part model's and prices.

Shaws: Rather unhelpful as well, hard to get any service. Not very good on tires from what I have seen. Prices good however.

Planet Honda: Haven't had anything serviced but the rear of the shop where they keep bikes when servicing can be subjected to damage or poped tyres. Good place for helmet accessories.

Would like to try that other shop which does Computers as well by the looks.

This town sucks for service, hence why my bike still needs one.

:ar15: :scooter:

wkid_one
4th April 2004, 18:50
What is it about bike shops. Do you have to grab sales staff by the freekin' throats to get them out from behind the counter??

1. Motomart. Out on its own the worst. If the retail staff haven't got a mate to yack to or a mag to read, they wander out the back. I'm tempted to wheel a Duc out the door and see if that gets anybody's attention. Crap location too. An unfriendly experience in all ways.
2. ANZA in Palmerston North. More interested in selling cars, I suspect. The guy behind the counter has his feet superglued to the floor. Its only redeeming feature is it's open on Sundays.
3. Wellington Motorcycles. "OK, so you haven't got it in stock. Any chance of ORDERING ONE IN??" Mrs H had to go to Palmerston North to get a test ride on a new Marauder coz WMC didn't want to get their's wet or something. Offered her a ride on a very used Honda 750 Shadow though...
4. Phil Turnbull in Palmerston North. Although Mrs H got a test ride AND bought her new ride from PTMC she got SERIOUSLY dicked around after riding up from Wellington for her bike's first service. Sawyers/Motorad have now got this job...
1. YOU ARE SOOOO RIGHT.
2. Ohhhh yes
3. Not wrong with this either
4. Don't mind PT too much

dangerous
4th April 2004, 20:11
Casbolts Honda ChCh: I go in there and say straight up 'no pissing around here I will go to were I get the best deal up north again if I have too' to which I had the reply 'thats right here' ok so I booked a test ride in for next Sat @ 11:00
I rock up and the sales guy chats to a mate for 3/4 of an hour. What do ya know its 11:45 and I'm told theres only time to ride around the block :crazy: No thanks and went home. Booked in again for the next Sat @10:00

Rocked up again and was told that I can only ride there demo (VTR) if I buy it from them (remember my opening line....and don't the demo bikes belong to Blue Wing Honda anyway?) :angry: and was then told that I'd have to wait till the demo plate to come back (huh only 1 plate and I thought that I had booked it in anyway) :argh:
Well buy the time the plate came back and they yaked for christ knows how long I got my ride BUT it was 11:30 and they wanted to go home again.

Now I brought the bike from them, cos they had me tightly by the nuts (only dealer that could do the service checks, if I'd brought one elsewere and took it to them then thay'd proberly put sand in the tank) :sneaky2:

Any way I spent my $15,000.00 there and asked for a can of chain spray which was $14.50 thinking ohh yeh 10% 0ff...... na full price so all I have to say about this shop is :finger: :finger:

BTW I asked how much for a trade in on my 97 MG 1100i sport..... 7 grand and they said that thay would put 9,500 :bs: on it....but they had a old 1000S in there with umpdeump k's on it for 10 grand :finger: so I kept it.

Two Smoker
4th April 2004, 20:23
Well ive had both good and bad from Cyclespot... Good was when i was looking for a new bike for dad, really helpful had help instantly etc and good deals....

Then i went in there a few days ago, i had money burning in my pocket and wanted a back protector gloves and new knee slider...... i walked past 3 people (that i knew worked there) was walking around looking at gear in the shop, no one in the gear area, but 2 people that worked there looked at me and walked away, so i went fuck this, and went to motomail......

Firefight
4th April 2004, 20:48
Then i went in there a few days ago, i had money burning in my pocket, so i went fuck this, and went to motomail......

shit you must have big pockets if you can afford to shop at Motomail, apart from their anual sale, were the odd bargan may be found, they would have to be the dearest place in NZ to buy from.

F/F :crazy:

Two Smoker
4th April 2004, 20:55
shit you must have big pockets if you can afford to shop at Motomail, apart from their anual sale, were the odd bargan may be found, they would have to be the dearest place in NZ to buy from.

F/F :crazy:
LOL yep, hence why i only bought the spool back protector for $129.95 thought that was ok because everyone else sells them at the same price, as for the gloves and knee sliders..... well stuff that ill go somewhere else... I reakon one of the best motorcycle shops is Haldanes.. Everytime i went there, whether it was to drool or to buy stuff, i always got offered help straight away.... top shop :niceone:

As for deep pockets..... well i dont know but i just started a second job (back milking afternoons after doing my postie round) so im starting to turn out like KK.... all work and no sleep:wacko:

marty
4th April 2004, 21:12
well Road and Sport and Boyd Honda in hammy are both pretty good - well experienced guys who know their stuff. they are well priced too. boyds have really looked after me and my bmx team, so big ups to them. no problems taking anything for test rides either.

hamilton m/cycles over the road though seem to just sit there quietly - nothing bad to say about them, but nothing good either. they do have immaculate dukes and beemers though. i wanted to take a new kwaka z1000 for a ride, but they said 'sorry, we sold our demo - can't get another one'. that's ok i said, i'll go somewhere else. have a nice day. haven't been back.

jimbo600
4th April 2004, 22:12

Dunno what you're talking about. Every time I've gone to WMC for a test ride they have always gone the extra mile to get it sorted. I know a guy up in AK who got a Buell from WMC and he states that he will not buy a bike from anywhere else in NZ.

Always had good service in Motomart too.

Sawyers could be better.

and Motorcycle city, well they can be a bit ordinary.

At the end of the day the customer aint always right. Sometimes the customer can be a right twat and demand stuff that just aint reasonable.

Skyryder
4th April 2004, 22:24
The general attitude to service in this county is why should I take your money when it is going to the boss. :stoogie: The fact that it is our money that pays their wages seems to escape the retail help. I spent about two weeks in the States four years ago and the thing that cought my attention more than the traffic was something I saw in a mexican resturant. We had just come down from San Fran. and hooked in the Mex food bar in Los Gatos. After ordering I happen to notice a family of about five or six having their food removed from their table. I asked my friend what was happening as I had never seen this before. He told me that if any thing was wrong with your meal you just had to tell the waiter and it would be replaced no questions asked. This was not just one plate but whole meal. Now you may not believe this but within about two minites the entire spread was replaced. To put this kind of service into perspective I had been out fishing late at night and called into a MacDonald's for a burger in Papanui Road. Well the burger was luke warm. When I asked for a fresh one the female told me "You've taken a bite out of it." Pissed off with this attitude I replied with some sarcasm that "If I had not taken a bite how was I too know that it was cold." :angry2: She had to go and get the managers permission for me to have a hot burger. I have never been in MacDon's since. :bash:

Another of my favourites if a security floozi wants to look in my bag I give them a choice. "Look in my bag and I get a refund. :ar15: If I have not bought anything I ask for a warrent. I can remember a time when on particular nasty security guard wants to search my bag. It's the stores policy they usually bleat. "Well it's not my policy," so he called the manager and "If sir would please come to my office so as to save yourself embarressment (that's the bit that realy upset me. His presumption that I would be embarresed by anything he could do or say.)So off I trotts to the managers office where I am duly threatened with the call to the police. Having lots of time on my hands in those days I was not working so I dared him to call the police. Now I have no idea what sort of IQ some of these store managers have but it is in the low scale, this young upstart actually called the local plod who duly arrived and insisted that he looks in my bag. Now my wife's a JP so I know a little bout the law in this area. Not that local plod could give a toss he insisted that the store manager via his security guard did have the right search my property without a warrent. So I call up the wife on the cell phone and tell her the problem then let her talk to the cop. She introduces herself as my wife and a JP and then asks for the plod's number and the name and rank of his superior officer. You should have seen the look on his face change. :moon: Someone got a treat that night. :love: Needless to say I walked out with a smug look on my face. :2thumbsup

I know this has nothing to do with bike shops but all to do with service or the lack of. The next time I am going to spend some real money and the retail help pisses me off I will walk out go to the bank draw out the stuff in cash go back to the shop, get the manager and show him just how much cash they have lost. Money talks but it talks louder when it walks. :wavey:

Skyryder

matthewt
4th April 2004, 22:35

1. Can't agree with you here. I've always found them to be helpful (not just to me) and would hardly rate them as the worst in the area. If you're going there it pays to ride in from the Petone side so you can skip the sharp u-turn after that intersection. I heard they are about to open on Sundays.
2. Yer, every time I've been in there I've had to ask for service.
3. I'd be pretty sure there would be more to it than just getting the bike wet. At the end of the day they are trying to sell a bike so it's not really in their best interests to hold back on demo rides.
4. Don't know much about them

My vote for the worst would be Eric Woods in ChCh. Used to be a Suzi dealer but are now Harley and Aprillia (and I think Guzzi). I got well and truely screwed over there a few years ago by the man himself.

Ghost Lemur
4th April 2004, 22:56
...My vote for the worst would be Eric Woods in ChCh. Used to be a Suzi dealer but are now Harley and Aprillia (and I think Guzzi). I got well and truely screwed over there a few years ago by the man himself.

Sounds like an interesting story coming if you care to share.

Being a bike drooler, I've had no experience when it's come to handing over cash, but I can recommend Sportzone Suzuki when it comes to browsing. The crowd there are always quick to see if you need help, and if not, back off. When I have asked questions, they've been very honest in their responses, even pointing out that a lesser value bike could be a better buy one one occassion. They've had no problems talking at length to me, answering my questions while knowing up front that I'm only a browser and there is no chance of a sale out of me. All in all when I can get enough cash together to actually buy a bike I'll be more than happy to deal with them.

Btw, congrats on a wonderful forums you guys have here :2thumbsup , been lurking a while now, but only decided to join in the convo's today. Oh and hi's to fellow OCNZers Antallica and k14.

spudchucka
4th April 2004, 23:08

Can agree with all except No: 4. Turnbulls are normally pretty good on the service, in my experience. Maybe you just struck them on a bad day???

matthewt
4th April 2004, 23:20
Sounds like an interesting story coming if you care to share.

Being a bike drooler, I've had no experience when it's come to handing over cash, but I can recommend Sportzone Suzuki when it comes to browsing. The crowd there are always quick to see if you need help, and if not, back off. When I have asked questions, they've been very honest in their responses, even pointing out that a lesser value bike could be a better buy one one occassion. They've had no problems talking at length to me, answering my questions while knowing up front that I'm only a browser and there is no chance of a sale out of me. All in all when I can get enough cash together to actually buy a bike I'll be more than happy to deal with them.

Btw, congrats on a wonderful forums you guys have here :2thumbsup , been lurking a while now, but only decided to join in the convo's today. Oh and hi's to fellow OCNZers Antallica and k14.

Sportszone does look good, I haven't lived in ChCh since 93 but I remember some of those guys from a shop they had around the corner (St Asaph Street between Manchester and Columbo).

The Eric the Hood story goes a little like this. I grew up in ChCh and when my first bike was stolen I started looking for a new bike. I was working at a supermarket while at ChCh Poly and decided on a 84 RG250 after riding a friends (these where the pre RGV models). Found one at Woods and was dealing with the man himself. I got a bank loan so I could pay cash for the bike ($3000). When I picked it up the price had jumped to around $3,250 after they added "extras" which they neglected to mention to me. $250 was a lot to me back then but I was young and slightly naive so I payed up. 4 weeks later EVERY bulb in the bike blew so I took it back, turns out the battery had no acid. Now I'm not a genuis about these things by any stretch but a bike shouldn't just run out of acid in under 4 weeks. One of the "extras" was $50 for a "on road check" so if the acid was low/empty that should of picked it up. So I talk to the man about it, "Sorry electrical problems aren't covered by our warrenty". F**k thanks a lot mate. Not only do you do me for extra shit I never wanted you then run for cover and don't even attempt to help. I had to borrow money from my girlfriends mother to pay for the bulbs and labour involved to get the bike running again. Then the workshop loses the rear indicator lense while they were replacing the bulb, in the next 3 months it takes to get one from Japan I get pulled over by the same cop 4 (yes 4!!) times about it.

Then fast forward 10 years past a vfr400, fzr400, cbr900 and onto the MV F4. After riding the MV Brutale in November last year I was thinking about trading my MV F4 on one. Then at Xmas I saw a Tuono Racing and thought that would be the ticket. Slightly more expensive than the Brutale but Ohlins suspension all round and carbon everything. Only problem was that my Xmas was in ChCh visiting the parents and no way I'm spending $32k at THAT shop. By the time I got back to Wgtn things had changed big time on the bike front so ended up trading the F4 on the Brutale in Feb at my dealers.

If it had been a sales guy then maybe I would of gotten over it. But given I was dealing with the shop owner then I didn't really have anyone else to go to at that shop. As a side note my girlfriend was training as a legal executive and asked about my options to her lawyer boss, without her saying what shop it was he already knew. What does that tell you.

Firefight
5th April 2004, 07:17
well Road and Sport and Boyd Honda in hammy are both pretty good - well experienced guys who know their stuff. they are well priced too. boyds have really looked after me and my bmx team, so big ups to them. no problems taking anything for test rides either,,

Yep, Id agree with you Marty, have bought and sold bikes with Greg, always good, great after sales service never a problem to take demos for LONG rides,
also has that great pop in anytime for a coffee attitude, supports Honda trail rides, race day coaching, happy as I am with my R6, I have a feeling next bike will come from Boyds, oh yeah and hes right into those south island road rides tours. :cool:

Firefight. :crazy:

White trash
5th April 2004, 07:34

Mr H.

I apologise profusley for the shop letting you and Mrs H. down in the purchase of the VZ. That was the very last one in stock and Suzuki had no more avalable.

For that reason they are normally a bit hestitant in letting people ride a brand new bike. The normal procedure for them is to agree on a deal SUBJECT to a ride and if you like it, you own that particular bike. If not, no worries.

The salesman involved obviously dropped the ball and let you down. I hope to god it wasn't me or I'm going to have to kick my own arse :yes:

However, I am pleased Mrs H is riding the right bike for her.

bungbung
5th April 2004, 08:42
Number One place to get dicked around in Wellington has to be Sawyers.

They have the most disorganised staff in town

Hitcher
5th April 2004, 08:46
Mr H.

I apologise profusley for the shop letting you and Mrs H. down in the purchase of the VZ. That was the very last one in stock and Suzuki had no more avalable.

For that reason they are normally a bit hestitant in letting people ride a brand new bike. The normal procedure for them is to agree on a deal SUBJECT to a ride and if you like it, you own that particular bike. If not, no worries.

The salesman involved obviously dropped the ball and let you down. I hope to god it wasn't me or I'm going to have to kick my own arse :yes:

However, I am pleased Mrs H is riding the right bike for her.

Mrs H LOVES her Marauder. 8,000 miles on it since November and it runs like a Swiss watch! It is quite a plush ride too. It would be nice if Suzuki fitted these with flip-up front pegs. Also they need a bash plate too. Stone chips make quite a mess of the underside.

James Deuce
5th April 2004, 10:02

1. Have to agree. Ended up buying a TRX from Tauranga which turned out to be the one I'd been looking at AT Motomart. They'd onsold it to Bay Motorcycles in Tauranga. I also wanted to test ride the Yellow Ducati 900SL they had in there, but couldn't attract anyone's attention. Bay shipped the TRX back to Motomart for me to pick it up, and Motomart were all chatty, and when they told me that the TRX was one they originally had, I said, "Yes I know, I wanted to talk about buying it but all that happened when I tried to get the attention of the guy at the desk was he walked out the back and his dog had a go at me". They also had a Helmet I wanted to try, but wouldn't let me, so I went round to Motorcycle city, the guy there gave my son a poster, and let me take the Helmet home to see how it felt after an hour of watching telly in it. It was great so I bought it.

2. Had a similar experience there, except it was that they were more interested in selling Harleys.

3. Have to disagree here. The only thing I would say is that servicing is expensive, but I've never had any issues with a WMC purchased or serviced bike I've owned.

4. Never been to this chap.

I'm finding Motorad/Sawyers really good, so I guess one bad experience can sour things for most people.

SPman
5th April 2004, 11:51
Auckland Shops....

:niceone: Red Baron - 8.5/10 : Bit expensive second hand, but (I M E ) stand behind their products,service is good, always seem to take the trouble to fix small things (if asked) - eg.braided lines & new master cylinder on FZR250 when complained of crap brakes! gratis. No trouble with test rides.Salesmen like to sell - ie if you are just browsing, they'll generally ignore you unless they arent doing anything. Parts good. Servicing generally good, Mike always tries to keep you happy - bike always came back cleaner than it went in

:Punk:Mt Eden Motorcycles: 8/10: Is Mike trying to corner the market on 250's?
Always friendly. Only bought parts so far, but would definitely consider buying a bike there. Servicing reasonable (yeah I know, my bikes a tired out POS that needs a rebuild - or replacement!)

:niceone: Haldanes - 8/10: Richard can seem a bit off hand at times, Chris seems to bend over backwards to give a good deal on ancillaries and minor problems.Only test ride I bought the bike and haven't tried since, although they werent to keen when I suggested a ride on the 998R a year or 2 ago We'll see when the 04 750 comes in.:whistle:
Servicing variable, good to oops! (see servicing comment above!)

:D AMPS - 8/10: Havent had a lot of dealings with them.Always seem reasonably friendly. Test rides arent a big problem. Service? Parts?

:)Colemans - 7/10: Havent had a lot of dealings with them. Always seemed affable if they thought they could make a sale. Dont seem too bad about test rides Parts? Servicing?

:shit: Cyclespot - 5/10: Keen to sell you a bike but watch out for them charging for things like - tyres to replace worn out crap. Seem to work on the principal - the price is for the bike EXACTLY as it is on the floor. Impression is more like a seedy used car dealer!

:finger:Holeshot - 3/10.: Dont like being treated like shit by the management when I do the usual wander round shop to look and talk about product. Either that or ignored totally. Saying that, I havent been there for a couple of years so they may have improved in some ways, they have had staff changes, but the management is still the same. Still.....? This attitude has cost them 4 potential sales (that I know of, me being one of them)

But these of course, are only my personal opinions from over the last 6 yrs and always subject to change.

k14
5th April 2004, 12:04
I would have to say honda casbolts are the worst i have dealt with.

Me being fairly nieve and new to bikes (and having bought a honda) i thought it is logical to do business with the honda dealer. How wrong was i. Bought a few things there and didn't have any problems nor anything good to say about them, untill i was replacing my fork seals.

The allen bolts holding the damping rods in to place had their head rounded off, thus i couldn't get them out. So I went into casbolts asking how to get them out. I talked to a guy, who i think is the manager, he said "yeah they are easy to get out, with a rattle gun, one of our mechanics can do it, just leave them here for an hour." I asked how much they would cost, he said an hours labour, $55 or something, YEAH RIGHT dickhead. Was talking to me like i didn't know anything aswell, which i didn't particularly like. So I went to street and sport motorcycles (who i had bought stuff from the previous day). The mechanic took the forks off me and took them out back straight away. Took about 10mins of mashing and hitting to get them out, but he did get them out. I asked him how much, he said don't worry about it, just come and buy stuff from here. What a legend, never going to casbolts again, only street and sport.

Another useless place is the New Plymouth Honda Dealer (can't remember the name). They know fuck all about hondas. Just after getting my cbr250 i wanted to do an oil change and get some spark plugs. Go in to honda place, talk to the person on the front desk (won't say what sex she was, but it probably had nothing to do with the fact that she, i mean ahem the person, knew fuck all about bikes) to get an oil filter and spark plugs, assuming they knew the parts and i didn't have to bring them in myself. How wrong was i, never going back there again.

Calendars and New Plymouth Motorcycle centre are both great places to shop and the guys in there know what they are talking about and come up to you when you walk in to help you.

P.S. Haven't had any problems about eric teh hood, but never going back there again (maybe to look at the aprillia rs250 though :shifty: )

marty
5th April 2004, 12:07
Auckland Shops....

:finger:Holeshot - 3/10.: Dont like being treated like shit by the management when I do the usual wander round shop to look and talk about product. Either that or ignored totally. Saying that, I havent been there for a couple of years so they may have improved in some ways, they have had staff changes, but the management is still the same. Still.....? This attitude has cost them 4 potential sales (that I know of, me being one of them)

But these of course, are only my personal opinions from over the last 6 yrs and always subject to change.

i went into holeshot to look at a hayabusa and a tl1000r. asked me if i had my gear, and would i like to test ride them. hell yeah. took the tlr out for a fang up to orewa and back - up the m/way back the other way. was away for about an hour, no questions asked. didn't take the busa (ran out of time) but i'll be looking at holeshot when i do finally upgrade. maybe i should have asked if i could take the rsv.......

colemans were a little standoffish - i went in specifically to look at a busa. it was out for a ride - they suggested i come back tomorrow. bit hard when you live south of the bombays really.

i must say that Bayride in tauranga has always been great to me - on one occasion picked up my bike when the chain flicked, dropped me where i needed to go, then picked me up again when it was ready. never any problems taking bikes for rides either.

Bay City even let me take the Augusta and RSV out......honestly the fastest, licence losing test rides i've EVER been on, and that was trying to keep up with the sales rep!

Cajun
5th April 2004, 12:17
None one done anything about Tauranga yet.

1 ) Bay Ride Yamaha(use to be suzuki) wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot barge pole, had many problems with prices, and way treated bikes in there care. 2/10

2) Baycity Motorcycles(kawasaki, mv, ducati, ktm etc) They have been pretty good, got my 1100 from them gave me a good trade on old bike, parts are middle road price. (But my brother in law to be works here so can't be to rough on them either) 8/10

3) Smiths Motorcycles(most dealers in scootors) One of the cheapest parts place in town, does Wof at good price, never really been thru the workshop. 7/10

4) BMW shop. Good little shop even if they only really sell bmw, there parts are well prices, the workshop is prices good as well, and all ways willing to help. 8/10

5) Motogb(suzuki dealer) This is a new dealer ship only really been around for about a year now, havn't gone thru the workshop but i know the guy who runs it and he knows his stuff, and Glen the salesman is always happy to help. and parts are middle of the road sorta price so they get an 8/10 as well.(also were i be getting the new gsxr600 from)

Devil
5th April 2004, 12:28
Motorcycle City - Lower Hutt: Ok just a note for people dealing with them or planning to deal with them. Theres a guy there who doesnt really have "service" listed in his vocab, but thats ok if you can by-pass him (he's not bad, just not quite engaging enough).
If you can deal with Graham (or the owner, didnt get his name), you will get top notch service. The lady and I were browsing for our first bike (pick it up this saturday! SQUEEEE!) and this guy was the most helpful easy going guy ive run into. The lady and I have a slight size different (me 5'10" ish, her 5' uhm nothing ish) so we had to try a few bikes to find the best compromise. When it came to test riding, there was no problem at all, gave us all the gear and (at our request) dispatched one of their mechanics to ride the bike down to the riverbank carpark for us to try (bit nervous! never been on the road before!).
Has made the whole deal stress free. Total pleasure to deal with these guys. Will definately come back again.
I will be making sure to organise a thank you letter when we get hold of the bike!

Slim
5th April 2004, 12:29
:Punk: Dowman Honda, Wanganui for servicing. The head mechanic there is a magician and I never got any of the talking-down-to-female marlarky from them at all. I've called him up a couple of times with problems & he's given me advice on non-OEM replacement parts that's never been wrong.

:niceone: Boyd Honda, Hamilton. They found, called, let me test ride my current CBR6 5+ years ago & have been great ever since. They sold out of their new CBR600RR's late last year, but got me down one from Auckland just for me to test ride (unaccompanied). Servicing is O.K. but they stuffed up the tuning after a valve-clearance-type service so I'm disinclined to take it back when there's a nice ride through the Parapara's in the offing (see above ;) ).

:niceone: Hamilton Motorcycles. No problems taking bikes out for a test ride and their parts lady is great. Was a bit put off the first time I encountered them. I gave the sales lady (owner??) very specific requests in the search for my CBR600 on price & size and she promptly asked if they could sell me a BMW which was $10,000+ over the price limit I'd just told her. :rolleyes: I wonder if the good recent service I've had is only because I'm going out with a guy who's on his 2nd Ducati brought from them ....

Coleman's, Auckland. Used to be good & still ok with PJ (have I got that right?) but if any of the salesmen I don't know are around, they will completely ignore me and head for the guy who walked in with me instead, even if I'm the one with the money to spend. :angry: They have a tendency to talk down to females too.

Cyclespot, Auckland. Tend to overprice their bikes and talk down to females. I brought my first bike from them, but can't comment on servicing or anything else. Seedy Used Car Dealer impression is spot on.

Bay City, Tauranga. Seem ok. Have let me take out bikes for test rides no problemo, even if I'm not serious about buying. My Man has a real problem with the owner but I don't know the full story. Apparently their Ducati mechanic is a magician too.

BayRide, Tauranga. Service dept seems good, although I've only had a tyre repaired there. He did tighten the chain too much & put some god-awful chain lube on that sprayed everywhere though. :rolleyes: The guys in sales/parts seemed friendly & helpful, but I've not looked at test riding or anything else there.

MikeL
5th April 2004, 13:32
My (limited) experience in Auckland and Tauranga:
Sales: Red Baron, Holeshot, Colemans, Haldanes, and Bay City have all been very helpful with test rides (even when I asked to take the same bike out for the third time). Bay Ride was initially helpful but spoiled it when they assured me there was enough gas in the XJR but I ended up having to push it along Cameron Rod). I found the Cyclespot staff a bit off-hand but otherwise O.K. On 2 occasions recently I've been in to AMPS but the place was deserted (afternoon tea time?) and had a hard time finding a salesman.
Service: only experience of Red Baron, Mt Eden and Colemans. Rd Baron was O.K but a bit expensive for a standard service. The other 2 have been very good - no complaints at all. I've had particularly attentive service from Ross at Colemans.
Seems to have been some recent staff movement in a few places. John from the service dept of Mt Eden is now at Colemans and Neville has disappeared (anyone know where?). Joe Mead from Colemans is now at Holeshot.

sAsLEX
5th April 2004, 14:22
"Hi, i was after some spark plugs for my CBR250RR, NGK CR9-eh is the model"
"Sure got them out back"

few minutes later returns with three plugs .........

"Hi was after an oil filter for my bike 91 CBR250RR MC22"
looks up in maual, on some computer then some microfilm
"umm dont know what sort you have sorry, you will have to bring it in"

All of these at the Honda shop in New Plymouth, rude service and near no knowledge of their product.

Nothing but brilliant service from calendar and New Plymouth Motorcycle centre.

Marmoot
5th April 2004, 14:56
Bought my bike from Cyclespot and never had any trouble in servicing for the last 4.5 years, though quality did deteriorate a wee little bit somewhat in the past 2 years. Not by much, really....but it is noticable. :mellow: :mellow:

Red Baron seems a bit overpriced for me. I tried using them about 3 times, and I ended up spending way over estimation. :sneaky2:

Boyd Honda deserves the Dealer of The Year award every year. Friendly caring people that knows their stuff, yo. And, if you have time, get on one of their organized ride-days. Guaranteed experience and satisfaction! :niceone: :niceone:

Cajun
5th April 2004, 15:07
Yeah boyd honda is really good sales wise, misses brought her vtr1000f brand her 18 months ago, found there services were over priced, $250 for a 5000km service on a vtr, don't need to remove body work, no need to change plugs didn't even need to change oil, thats bloody steep, so took it else were, who can stamp the factory book, did an oil change any how

KATWYN
5th April 2004, 15:34
Cycletreads Barrys point road- it has burnt down now (a few months
ago )

Aside from general tired service from them anyway, I had my bike in there
one day with the "experts" putting a front and back tyre on. I was waiting in the coffee room when there was an almighty CRASH out in the workshop

It turns out, that when they raised the bike ramp up by about 2 feet my
2001 Yamaha YZR6 came crashing off the platform onto the floor - cos my bike hadn't been secured well enough on the platform. The dickhead that was responsible for it wasn't even @$#@# fazed by my scratched and damaged bike.

I was so stunned at the incompetance, I couldnt say a word......customers were saying to me "how come you arent spewing...I would be if that was my bike" - I wonder what other things have happened to peoples bikes when they arent around- that they don't know about

claire
5th April 2004, 15:48
We spent lots of motorcycling dollars with these guys - gear, tyres, even my 250 brand new. They did it when they wouldn't trade the 250 back on a bigger bike (they didn't have anything I wanted anyway!!) The final insult was wanting us to sell the R1 privately when we wanted to order a 03 R1 as they had too many road bikes that had been on the floor for too long. So now I spend my hard earned motorcycling dollar elsewhere.

Mt Eden Motorcycles. Excellent. Bought my Thundercat there and bought a new helmet at the same time. Bike was exactly as they said it was and they had no trouble dealing with a woman. Believe me big tick for them after some of the dickheads spoke with on the phone.

We now deal mostly with Tony Rees Motorcycles in Whakatane and they're great. Thats why they got our order for an 04 R1!

Claire

750Y
5th April 2004, 16:29
I like the service dept at Colemans.
I like Mt Eden, good guys, good service, very helpful.
Amps are friendly too.. .
I go different places, for different things, for different reasons.
I tried to support a local shop but $670 for a pair of diablo corsas and I have to bring the loose wheels in? later...

Motu
5th April 2004, 16:47
ago )

one day with the "experts" putting a front and back tyre on. I was waiting in the coffee room when there was an almighty CRASH out in the workshop

2001 Yamaha YZR6 came crashing off the platform onto the floor - cos my bike hadn't been secured well enough on the platform. The dickhead that was responsible for it wasn't even @$#@# fazed by my scratched and damaged bike.

I was so stunned at the incompetance, I couldnt say a word......customers were saying to me "how come you arent spewing...I would be if that was my bike" - I wonder what other things have happened to peoples bikes when they arent around- that they don't know about

So that was you! - I was in that day I think getting tyres fitted to my rims,ended up taking about 3 hours for them to do it because they were stuffing around with a bike that fell off the ramp!

KATWYN
5th April 2004, 16:51
So that was you! - I was in that day I think getting tyres fitted to my rims,ended up taking about 3 hours for them to do it because they were stuffing around with a bike that fell off the ramp!

Actually they took about 2 hours to complete the job after the event - we were there about 3 hours as well and feeling really towey cause it was taking so long!!...maybe it was you (the customer) I spoke too?

p.s in defence of that chick mechanic, it was not her fault although she
felt really stink

Motoracer
5th April 2004, 16:58
ago )

I wonder who it was that burnt it down... hmmmm...

Just kidding :blah:

I'd F-ing pissed off if they did that to my bike!

Motu
5th April 2004, 17:08
I don't buy bikes new or used from dealers - but I got my XT400 from Mt Eden,the price was right and so was Mike's attitude - he tossed me the keys and let me go for a ride,was prepard to fix things on the bike...but I like to do it myself,and he took my cheque on a saturday afternoon - he's as far from a used car salesman as you can get.

I use them also for most of my aftermarket stuff,they are prepard to go through the sprocket book,or a seal book,whatever,the ability to think in spare parts is a lost art.Motomail gets some of my money,mainly because they are open 7 days - as I work 5.5 days I'm prepard to pay for the convieneance.I've already done a whole thread giving Econohonda a plug,but now I'll have to go to them that are useless in Honda parts for my Yamaha parts - Haldanes were good.... Chris puts as much interest in getting me PW50 parts as if it was an R1.

KATWYN
5th April 2004, 17:36
I wonder who it was that burnt it down... hmmmm...

Just kidding :blah:

I'd F-ing pissed off if they did that to my bike!

Hehe -Yea that was me sculking around in the dead of night with a can
of gasoline and packet of matches.....only it wouldv'e been more
lucrative if my bike had've actually BEEN in the premises that night

hehe

disclaimer: No officer it wasnt me :Police:

dangerous
5th April 2004, 18:50
:angry2: Another thing to add about my winge at Casbolts is when I brought the VTR it came with a free set of Scorpion pipes, but they wernt in yet. So I went back about 2 weeks later and they said do you want us to put them on? 'yes please' so I went for a walk....1hr later I went back in and they presented me with a bill of $45= 1hr of work a grand total of removing 6 bolts.......shezz I thought after spending over $16000 on the bike and acceserys they'd say 'na dont worry about it'

:2thumbsup Sports zone ChCh I havent ever brought anything from them but when you are just standing there day dreaming at a bike (SV1000) and the sales dude comes up and says 'take it for a spin' I replyed 'but its almost close up time' (12:30 Sat) he then said 'so take it for the weekend and drop it of Monday'.....Now that kind of PR has you going back (pity I think that the SV is ugly as, nice to ride though but prefered the firestorm)

bane
5th April 2004, 22:17
Boyd Honda deserves the Dealer of The Year award every year. Friendly caring people that knows their stuff, yo. And, if you have time, get on one of their organized ride-days. Guaranteed experience and satisfaction! :niceone: :niceone:

Have to agree - even though all my bikes have been Suzuki's... John in parts has always been more than helpful, and always has a better price if you ask :banana:

As for road and sport (Suzuki agents), I have to wonder how Boyds can sell me a GSP for less....

jrandom
5th April 2004, 23:08
'so take it for the weekend and drop it of Monday'

:shit:

Bugger me. Really? Speechless.

pity I think that the SV is ugly as, nice to ride though but prefered the firestorm

Is that the SV-S you're talking about there? TBH I can't say I like the looks of them all that much myself (sorry Spank) but the nekkid SV thous are the dog's nuts. I want a black one.

Lou Girardin
6th April 2004, 06:42
Sounds like we're well served by dealers in Auck. Maybe I'm an intolerant old fart, but some of you guys put up with real bullshit. Like paying to have cans fitted that were sold with the bike! Stand up for yourselves, tell them you'll take it to disputes tribunal. They usually back down quickly.
Lou

phil_elvey
6th April 2004, 10:09

First three - dead on.
Last one (PTMC) - Can't agree. I've test rode a bike from Phil and found him to be very helpful. He even rung me the next week to see how I was going even though I tested probably the lowest value roadbike in his shop.

On the contrary, I have started dealing with AFC motorcycles in Palmy. They have been extremely friendly and personal in dealing with me. When I went in there enquiring about leathers on 5pm on a Monday, the salesman Brian went the extra mile to try and find something I would be happy with. They have found themselves a permanent customer with me.

MrMelon
6th April 2004, 15:27
Last night the nut holding my front sprocket on fell off, and so my front sprocket slid across and was just spinning on the output shaft.

I was just charged an hours labour + $20 for parts for what should have been a 10 minute job max.
This is after I told them that if they could get me the right nut for it I'd do it myself because I can't fucking afford $95 for a simple job to replace a tiny little nut!

Last time I took the bike there they charged me $110 to replace a snapped clutch cable too..

That just pisses me right off.

The nut holding the front sprocket on shouldn't be able to come off anyway, isn't there normally a split pin or something holding it on? I've only had it back from the last shop for a month too... grr.

EDIT: Well they gave me $20 off, so I'm not so pissed off now, but it's still kinda sucky.

vifferman
6th April 2004, 16:42
Hey, I know this is about the worst bike shops, but I don't want to slag off at any. Sure, you get bad service sometimes, and I've had some, but everyone has bad days, and there are some eedjits working in various places. I could say something about dealers who never seem to carry common items in stock and I almost always have to wait for it to be carrier-pigeoned from Japan, but I won't. I also won't say anything about the huge difference in parts prices between NZ and Australia. Maybe they get their parts from a different Honda or a different Japan.
Anyway, the places that pissed me off don't get any more of my money.

So instead, here's some :2thumbsup

Motomail - I have no problems with their prices, and their customer service is great. I don't feel they're ripping me off, and I've had some great deals on gear, like those StylMartin Stradas.
MotoHaus - Kerry (usually) knows his stuff. But if you ever read this, Kerry, bike owners sometimes know more about their bikes than mechanics. When I say I've reversed the eccentric on my VFR's swingarm, and it loosens up backwards to usual, I'm not talking through my butt. Mebbe if you'd listened, I would've told you it was a 525 chain and you couldn't thread a 530 chain over the sprocket with it. :laugh:
Holeshot - Always willing to let me test-ride summat, despite the fact I've only ever spent $100 there.
Mount BMW - great shop to visit (or it was every time I went there), and the staff were friendly and knowledgeable.

My biggest :2thumbsup goes not to a shop, but a person - Jason at Streetstyles. I bought some braided brake lines from him, and despite *me* making a mistake, and no fault on his part, he was more than happy to give me my money back. Thanx for your great customer service, Jason. I'll have to shout you a beer some time. :apint:

White trash
6th April 2004, 17:26
Hey, I know this is about the worst bike shops, but I don't want to slag off at any. Sure, you get bad service sometimes, and I've had some, but everyone has bad days, and there are some eedjits working in various places. I could say something about dealers who never seem to carry common items in stock and I almost always have to wait for it to be carrier-pigeoned from Japan, but I won't. I also won't say anything about the huge difference in parts prices between NZ and Australia. Maybe they get their parts from a different Honda or a different Japan.
Anyway, the places that pissed me off don't get any more of my money.

So instead, here's some :2thumbsup

Motomail - I have no problems with their prices, and their customer service is great. I don't feel they're ripping me off, and I've had some great deals on gear, like those StylMartin Stradas.
MotoHaus - Kerry (usually) knows his stuff. But if you ever read this, Kerry, bike owners sometimes know more about their bikes than mechanics. When I say I've reversed the eccentric on my VFR's swingarm, and it loosens up backwards to usual, I'm not talking through my butt. Mebbe if you'd listened, I would've told you it was a 525 chain and you couldn't thread a 530 chain over the sprocket with it. :laugh:
Holeshot - Always willing to let me test-ride summat, despite the fact I've only ever spent $100 there.
Mount BMW - great shop to visit (or it was every time I went there), and the staff were friendly and knowledgeable.

My biggest :2thumbsup goes not to a shop, but a person - Jason at Streetstyles. I bought some braided brake lines from him, and despite *me* making a mistake, and no fault on his part, he was more than happy to give me my money back. Thanx for your great customer service, Jason. I'll have to shout you a beer some time. :apint:

Exactly the idea. Don't bitch too bad about the bad (unless it's chronic!) as everybody has bad days.

Reward the good service you receive by writing a letter, telling people you know, that sort of thing.

Everytime I get my bike serviced and am looked after, I bring in a dizen for the guys at the shop. Guess what happens next time I'm in? It's well worth the $15 for beer.

I'm off for a :apint:

Cajun
6th April 2004, 17:41
Well with the power of 6 motorbikes between us, They have to learn to look after us or we take out motorcycles some where else.

Thats alot of services/parts a year

pete376403
6th April 2004, 17:56
The nut holding the front sprocket on shouldn't be able to come off anyway, isn't there normally a split pin or something holding it on? I've only had it back from the last shop for a month too... grr..

There should be a retainer plate that engages the points of the nut, and the plate in turn is bolted to the sprocket with (usually) two bolts. Tabs by these two bolts should be bent up against the flats of the bolt head.
So, no, it shouldn't come off.

Big Dog
6th April 2004, 18:08
In my experience if you want service in a bike shop, take a woman. when you want service get her to try and talk you out of something. Or for service with bikes just tell her "loudly don'y worry hon I'll get a better deal at xxxx anyway"
works evrery time.

It is funny but sad that there are shorter threads generated when you ask for the best bike shops.

The two best shops for service, from my experience are Red Baron and one down in NP that used to be called K-Force Kawasaki (sorry don't know the new name). AMPS is alright if you look wealthy, or ready to spend.

The worst in my experience are NP Motorcycles (real self service but prices reflect that) and R&R sport in newton. Jack the price up without explanation ignored me until I tried to leave, when I approached a salesman they tried to answer my questions without even looking up from his magazine..... which was not even bike related.

jimbo600
6th April 2004, 21:38
Exactly the idea. Don't bitch too bad about the bad (unless it's chronic!) as everybody has bad days.

Reward the good service you receive by writing a letter, telling people you know, that sort of thing.

Everytime I get my bike serviced and am looked after, I bring in a dizen for the guys at the shop. Guess what happens next time I'm in? It's well worth the $15 for beer.

I'm off for a :apint:

Er righto, guess I owe the boys a dozen then. Especially after parking my bike right smack bang in the doorway.

Motu
6th April 2004, 22:58
There should be a retainer plate that engages the points of the nut, and the plate in turn is bolted to the sprocket with (usually) two bolts. Tabs by these two bolts should be bent up against the flats of the bolt head.
So, no, it shouldn't come off.

Oh,those little taby things that snapped off today when changing my sprocket?...loctite and a 3/4 drive impact gun - I'm going to Taranaki this Easter,not a main road anywhere on my route....maybe I should take a tent too?

Jackrat
6th April 2004, 23:49
Amps,I took my sportster in there an they droped it off the ramp an then tryed to tell me the dirty great gouge out of my engine cover was there when I took it in.Luckly I had a mate working there at the time an he told me what really happend.
Good value,Mt Eden.I went up there a couple of weeks ago an the guy behind the counter was running round like a headless chook but still had time to do me a good deal and pass on some advice.I really like the fact that what they tell you on the phone does happen when you get there.I bought a tank from them last year and when I told them I could get the same tank for $20 less at a wreaker on the net,they droped to that price with out a blink.I have a Yamaha dealer local but I would rather go to Mt Eden just for the good sevice.
AMPS= :kick:

Drunken Monkey
7th April 2004, 08:36
...R&R sport in newton. Jack the price up without explanation ignored me until I tried to leave, when I approached a salesman they tried to answer my questions without even looking up from his magazine..... which was not even bike related.

By R&R Sport you mean Coleman's Suzuki? - R&R is an unrelated business. Don't want to give any out-of-towners the wrong idea...

"Big Dig dog was right, this bike dealer is shite. They don't even have any bikes, just wetsuits and other leisure activity gear..."

Wenier
7th April 2004, 08:59
i have found Wellington Motorcycles to be really good with service in all the areas.
Sawyers were good but have taken a nose dive since they did their joining shit with motorad.
Motorad i have never been a fan of parts department didnt no most their shit from a brick.
Motomart is exspensive but have had no problems so are good.

:)

BritStorm
7th April 2004, 09:59
Wellington Motorcycles - I had fantastic service from them. I was touring and needed new tires. They fitted them there and then and when I asked the best place to leave the bike overnight (I was staying in a backpackers) they said leave it with them, they'd lock it up with all thier other bikes. The next day I go to pick it up and they hand me a load of ratchet straps to use on the Interislander 'just bing em in when you come back through'. :apint:

Timber020
7th April 2004, 12:01
I havent taken my own bikes into WMC after they dropped a friends bike and basically told them that they didnt do it.
I dont like the fact that some guy tries to sell me a buell and then tells me that harleys are really becoming the choice of younger riders and that they perform really well (harleys, not buells)

Boyles have always treated me well, the guys are really good, know there stuff and dont do the hard sell every time I walk in there. Arent the 2 shops (sawyers and motorad?) owned by the same guy?

White trash
7th April 2004, 12:13
The first I ever heard of wellington motorcycles was over 10 years ago, I was contracting in Mangakino and some of the local guys were saving dope to swap on a bike, according to them they could get 4wd from an import company in Auckland or a sportster from wellington motorcycles for a garbage bag of dope. I dont personally know if it was really true.

What utter shit! I can not believe someone would actually put enough stock into such a statement as to post it on a public forum!

Dope growers are amongst the most stupid, lying arseholes on the plannet. Anybody who actually believes it ranks right along side them.

And this from a fellow Gixxer rider. I'm stunned! :doobey:

PZR
7th April 2004, 12:39
Havent had any servicing done anywhere but for sales staff test rides and parts and accessories hear are my thoughts

Always got good parts service from Boyles in Wellingto for Kwaka parts. They actually knew what I was talking about unlike some parts people I deal with at work.

BMW Experiance Newmarket would have to be the best that I have dealt with. Good for test rides and helpfull advice. Working on the long term principal knowing everyone gets slower, fussier and wants quality eventually I think.

Didnt like the sales staff at Colemans at all. Hellooooo am I interupting your day. Good behind the counter though.

Hamilton M/Cycles really good and helpful.

Same for Road and Sport, Haldanes Motohaus Motomail, and AMPS. Though Motomail is suffering with new staff I think as they were better. Time will tell.

Bought my bike from Jason at Thunderbike Nelson. Looked after me well, picked me up from the airport and has done all I asked to date. Very happy so far

Got my bike in at Motorcycle Surgery today for a service. Seem to know what they are talking about but may get back to you tomorrow with more info either way.

Leading Edge Tyres were really good the two times I have been there

Its all about service isnt it? They all supply much the same product but its how they deliver that product that seperates the good from the bad. AMPS and Motomail may be expensive but I think you get what you pay for. Good service costs somewhere and if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.:bash:

750Y
7th April 2004, 13:01
What utter shit! I can not believe someone would actually put enough stock into such a statement as to post it on a public forum!

Dope growers are amongst the most stupid, lying arseholes on the plannet. Anybody who actually believes it ranks right along side them.

LOL,
take it easy man, aint you got some customer service skills to brush up on or something?

White trash
7th April 2004, 13:03
LOL,
take it easy man, aint you got some customer service skills to brush up on or something?

Got no customers to service. Bloody rain.

All I can do is sit here and get aggravated by posts that I shouldn't take so personally.

Bloody good to try and get a rise outta' someone on an otherwise dreary day though :niceone:

750Y
7th April 2004, 13:05
LOL, in that case can I sell You any dope? (j/k)

White trash
7th April 2004, 13:07
LOL, in that case can I sell You any dope? (j/k)

PM me with a price list and I like your style :laugh:

750Y
7th April 2004, 13:10

you will be getting a discount, got any harleys?

White trash
7th April 2004, 13:11
:laugh: Only a couple of poxy old Iron heads we can't sell to any real people.

Big Dog
7th April 2004, 16:10
By R&R Sport you mean Coleman's Suzuki? - R&R is an unrelated business. Don't want to give any out-of-towners the wrong idea...

"Big Dig dog was right, this bike dealer is shite. They don't even have any bikes, just wetsuits and other leisure activity gear..."
:Oops:
Yes. I assumed it was the same business given the walk though.

I have to say though R&R in that part is very service oriented. Perhaps colemans should tkae some pages out of their training manual. :Pokey:

Thanks DM.

In three visits (each time I was desperate to buy something) they have yet to see the colour of my money. I call it protesting with my money. I will pay more (within reason) for quality service / advice, You get what you pay for.

Drunken Monkey
7th April 2004, 16:15
In three visits (each time I was desperate to buy something) they have yet to see the colour of my money. I call it protesting with my money. I will pay more (within reason) for quality service / advice, You get what you pay for.

I agree. I will pay extra for good service. I'm also what you would call a 'loyal' customer - I will stay somewhere until dissatisfied, rather than spend my time shopping for a bargain.

Big Dog
7th April 2004, 16:22

When I used to sell cars a group of guys came in to the yard with a crusty old tredia (loaded up with black sacks) to trade. he spent a couple of hours test driving negotiated a cash deal left came back later that day minus two guys the black sacks and carrying a breifcase with 36,000 in cash for two cars.

Given that they were from kaitia, I'm pretty sure what happened.

Big Dog
7th April 2004, 16:25
I agree. I will pay extra for good service. I'm also what you would call a 'loyal' customer - I will stay somewhere until dissatisfied, rather than spend my time shopping for a bargain.
Yup, the way I see it my company pays me close on $20 an hour why should I value my time at any less.

fritter
7th April 2004, 22:52
Motorcycle City - Lower Hutt: Ok just a note for people dealing with them or planning to deal with them. Theres a guy there who doesnt really have "service" listed in his vocab, but thats ok if you can by-pass him (he's not bad, just not quite engaging enough).
If you can deal with Graham (or the owner, didnt get his name), you will get top notch service. The lady and I were browsing for our first bike (pick it up this saturday! SQUEEEE!)

These guys (motorcycle shitty) in my experience will fuck you royally (without lube even) if you don't know much about bikes. I have a few amusing stories from there. Now I just go in to see how much bullshit they try to feed people before they realise you are on to them. I am honestly AMAZED that you didn't get ripped off or treated badly. Even their mechanic is an ass. Don't even get me started on them... :angry2:

Sawyers seem to have their good and bad days (there is one guy there who is a complete wanker unless you are holding a cheque book in your hand - the rest of them are good guys though).

riffer
8th April 2004, 07:38
These guys (motorcycle shitty) in my experience will fuck you royally (without lube even) if you don't know much about bikes.
I got my fizzer from them. Can't complain about the deal financially - I paid $5000 and got the bike, 2 new tyres (IRC SP11 front & Sportmax 205 rear - not great but ok for commuting), Spool Jacket and Dririder pants, Cyber Helmet and ORC's.

However the state of the bike was not good. Oil filter looked at least 20,000ks old, plugs were black as coal, air filter was clogged to shit, oil when drained was black as, battery fluid was low, front brakes were clogged up with jelly-like shit and had to be completely stripped and rebuilt (including calipers), and brake pads were worn down to nearly unusable. Oh, and the steering head bearing had abbsolutely no grease and at all.

All things that could be fixed reasonably easily but crikey, they said they'd given it a service when I got it.

Needless to say, I do all my own servicing on my bike. And from some of the stories I hear from you guys, it shall remain that way.

I reckon the bike shop will only see me to put a new tyre on the bike or to do my lifters (20 of the suckers!). Tho I'm not too sure on the lifters - may give that a go myself...

riffer
8th April 2004, 07:48
Oh, and I nearly forgot. The bike was tuned terribly. It would only start with 1/2 choke, and would only idle on 1/4 choke. Died completely if you took off the choke. Got 180kms before going on to reserve.

Carbs were filthy. After a full clean of the carbs, and rebalance and idle set it now doesn't use the choke, and I get 300 kms before going on to reserve.

750Y
8th April 2004, 07:51
I'm not too sure on the lifters - may give that a go myself...
yeah go hard, they're pretty easy just a little fiddly, will take you about 5 hours the first time, but half of that time is getting in & out again.

wkid_one
8th April 2004, 08:07
These guys (motorcycle shitty) in my experience will fuck you royally (without lube even) if you don't know much about bikes. I have a few amusing stories from there. Now I just go in to see how much bullshit they try to feed people before they realise you are on to them. I am honestly AMAZED that you didn't get ripped off or treated badly. Even their mechanic is an ass. Don't even get me started on them... :angry2:

Sawyers seem to have their good and bad days (there is one guy there who is a complete wanker unless you are holding a cheque book in your hand - the rest of them are good guys though).
100% agree with this. They have a 'lifetime' gtee for their bikes - which you pay 50:50 if something goes wrong. They can do this as they charge 200% more than most other bike shops and still get it wround

Hitcher
8th April 2004, 09:21
Mrs H and I got our 250s from Motorcycle City. Took over 6 months to get the registration changed over -- I rode an unregistered bike for a month as a result. Mrs H's 250 was sold with badly perished rubber and a stuffed chain. Their clothing and accessories are more expensive than other shops around too. Be very wary...

Timber020
8th April 2004, 19:53
I apologise for making the statement, it wasnt based on facts but what I had been told over a decade ago by guys who were in a shady business but hadnt proven to be liars, but even dopers must be subject to urban myth.
At the time I had never been to wellington and it was one thing that I had heard about wellington that stuck in my head whether it was a myth or not.

I dont try to be PC on this thing, im not PC in real life and pretty much say whatever I want to or what comes. Its a forum, about sharing ideas and opinions and experiences. This would be part of the reason I am in the unreputable top 5. I upset a few people, mainly Harley riders but they often can use the excitement. :bleh:

I do have to complement one of the WMC sales guys, he was a younger guy who at was amazingly honest about bikes he was selling and was extremely helpful, unlike the first guy he took notice to what I was after rather than trying to sell me what I had mentioned 4 times I didnt like and wasnt interested in.

It was irresponisble of me to repeat something in heresay, I hadnt thought much about it before posting it, and for that I am sorry as I dont post things that I cant %100 back up or have experienced myself as a habit.

shafty
8th April 2004, 23:08
[ no way I'm spending $32k at THAT shop.

- Good call Mate -- thats SWEET justice; some Dickheads forget that us (formally) young bikers grow up, as do our disposalable incomes but memories of crap service and dishonesty stick around!!

Tasty wheels too - I LOVE those Brutales, but am content with the 1150R, esp. price wise! (NO choice!)

Shafty

Jackrat
8th April 2004, 23:26

I fully agree with your opinion of dope growers and the swap for a bag of pot sounds a bit far fetched but a lot of HDs have gone out the door at AMPS in Auckland after being payed for in cash by unemployed types from Murapara and northland.A lot of the same bikes are now impounded by the law,while the owners that have been busted for growing try to exsplain were they got that kind of cash on the dole.The law is holding quite a few of the Tribesmens bikes right now for this reason.Even the gun shop I go to in penrose tell storys about young guys trying to buy guns an ammo with piles of twentys that reek of weed.
Bags of weed,maybe not but drug money definately.

matthewt
9th April 2004, 08:36

I think if you grabbed one of the garbage bags from the back of the shop you might get a few more people on the ride this Monday :sly:

moko
9th April 2004, 09:06
I dont know if it`s the place the other guys mentioned but I was in the shop in Hamilton that sells Buells while on holiday taking a look with a mate.Salesman came up and we told him we were just taking a look.Brilliant bloke,knew we weren`t going to spend any money but must have spent 15 minutes showing us the bike`s he had,answering questions,even went into the office and hunted down a magazine to show me the Tuono,which was new out then.
There`s a big dealer down the road from me that employs probably the world`s worse salesman,I actually had an argument with him over whether CB500`s were water-cooled or not.More recently he tried selling a mate of mine a 600 hornet"cheap because no-one likes black bikes,so it`s got a big discount".Well yes it was Black but it was also the only one they had left of the older model,smaller tank e.t.c. only that little detail didnt get mentioned,just wish I`d actually been there with him instead of meeting him on the road on his way out.Same outfit sold a GSXR600 with a Yoshi exhaust then failed it on it`s M.O.T.(same as WOF)the next year for having an illegal exhaust AND they denied selling it with it on.Best bit is i trashed them on a U.k. BB only to find that one of their mechanics used it,got kind of heated.

laRIKin
9th April 2004, 14:09
Quoted:
- Good call Mate -- thats SWEET justice; some Dickheads forget that us (formally) young bikers grow up, as do our disposalable incomes but memories of crap service and dishonesty stick around!!

NEVER a true a word spoken.
Pay backs can be a bitch. :kick:

Fool me once shame on you
Fool me twice .........

Skunk
9th April 2004, 15:31
Boyles have always treated me well, the guys are really good, know there stuff and dont do the hard sell every time I walk in there. Arent the 2 shops (sawyers and motorad?) owned by the same guy?

I brought a bike in Sydney (Kawasaki Territory) and Boyles organised the shipping, getting the parts list and workshop service manuals for it. They've serviced it ever since. I got it there because Motorad weren't interested without cash up front. :whistle:

Yes, Brendan owns Motorad and Sawyers, Sawyers first then Motorad when Peter got into 'some troubles' with BMW over money, like so many dealers did...

Cleve
11th April 2004, 09:27
No comment on WORST bike shops. However a plug for Spectrum Motorcycles just off Barry's Point Rd in Takapuna Auckland. Run and owned by a mechanic. So NO sales bullshit just the real word.
Cleve

sedge
13th April 2004, 12:49
Last night the nut holding my front sprocket on fell off, and so my front sprocket slid across and was just spinning on the output shaft.

I was just charged an hours labour + $20 for parts for what should have been a 10 minute job max.
This is after I told them that if they could get me the right nut for it I'd do it myself because I can't fucking afford $95 for a simple job to replace a tiny little nut!

Last time I took the bike there they charged me $110 to replace a snapped clutch cable too..

The nut holding the front sprocket on shouldn't be able to come off anyway, isn't there normally a split pin or something holding it on? I've only had it back from the last shop for a month too... grr.

EDIT: Well they gave me $20 off, so I'm not so pissed off now, but it's still kinda sucky.
So... you're whining that a bike shop came out after hours on a Friday, picked up your bike from where it was stranded at the side of the road and fixed it for you ?.

Come on, it's just that you've had a bad run of things falling off your bike since you got it, I for one have always had awesome service from Boyles, that's why I keep going back. I'd be surprised if you got anything more than muffled laughter down the phone from any other shop in town.

Sedge. (yes, you know me, I ride the green whale :) )

sels1
13th April 2004, 13:38
Had the same trouble at Motomart....been there 4 times, only got spoken to once,when the shop was empty and the sales guy had no mates to talk to.
WMC people seem little better

vifferman
13th April 2004, 15:39
No comment on WORST bike shops. However a plug for Spectrum Motorcycles just off Barry's Point Rd in Takapuna Auckland. Run and owned by a mechanic. So NO sales bullshit just the real word.
Cleve
While I would agree with this in part (Brent does do some very good work, and seems to know his stuff), they are not without their faults too, and I don't intend to go back there. Every time my bike was worked on, it came back dirty and with fasteners missing. This may sound petty, but have you ever priced Honda fairing fasteners? Also, the wrong decals were fitted after a smash repair, and Spectrum refused to fix this. If the insurance company hadn't paid to have it rectified, I would have had to pay for it, and it wasn't MY fault - I didn't order the wrong ones. Would you put up with different coloured decals on each side of the bike? If you were responsible for ordering and fitting them, and there was a mistake, would you just pretend nothing had happened, or tell the customer and offer to sort it?
Anyway - this is in the past. If I had a tricky fault on my VTR, I'd think about taking it to Brent, as he has a good reputation for working on these. (Even though he more or less told me I shouldn't buy one, and should think about giving up bikes altogether...)

With all these complaints about bike shops, whatever happened to "the customer is always right"? Do these guys forget that their livelihood depends upon the goodwill of their customers? The arrogance some of them display suggests that they think that if we choose to use them, then they are honouring us with their service, or lack of it.

Grumpy
13th April 2004, 15:56
This is not my worst experience with a shop but definately my best.

My wife has just bought a bike from Hewitts in Dannivirke. She knew what she wanted but was still a little hesitant since she had never ridden one.

We went down and talked a deal, which was excellent, then when she was 95% sure she was going to deal we rang him up. He said come on down and he'll get it ready to go and she can take it for a ride before she decides.

I've bought alot of bikes through the years and never had a bad experience and thought that I'd been treated pretty well but they all pale in comparision to this deal.

Oh year, she decided to buy it. Well done Hewitts. :2thumbsup

Zed
3rd July 2004, 21:34
While I would agree with this in part (Brent does do some very good work, and seems to know his stuff), they are not without their faults too, and I don't intend to go back there. Every time my bike was worked on, it came back dirty and with fasteners missing. This may sound petty, but have you ever priced Honda fairing fasteners? Also, the wrong decals were fitted after a smash repair, and Spectrum refused to fix this. If the insurance company hadn't paid to have it rectified, I would have had to pay for it, and it wasn't MY fault - I didn't order the wrong ones. Would you put up with different coloured decals on each side of the bike? If you were responsible for ordering and fitting them, and there was a mistake, would you just pretend nothing had happened, or tell the customer and offer to sort it?
Anyway - this is in the past. If I had a tricky fault on my VTR, I'd think about taking it to Brent, as he has a good reputation for working on these. (Even though he more or less told me I shouldn't buy one, and should think about giving up bikes altogether...)
My bike is currently at Spectrum going thru an insurance repair. I went in and spoke with Brent yesterday for about 30mins and he seemed very competent. I'll be sure to double check the bike for any loose parts on completion before I ride it away. :sneaky2:

I'm also curious firestormer, why on earth did he suggest to you to give up bikes altogether??

Zed

wkid_one
3rd July 2004, 21:37
My bike is currently at Spectrum going thru an insurance repair. I went in and spoke with Brent yesterday for about 30mins and he seemed very competent. I'll be sure to double check the bike for any loose parts on completion before I ride it away. :sneaky2:

I'm also curious firestormer, why on earth did he suggest to you to give up bikes altogether??

Zed
Zed, Brent fixed my VTR when I had my off. Did a fantastic job (they get the paint done through Reflections as well).

Best thing was, given I had purchased a new screen - he offset this against the excess cost over the OEM Screen saving me about $500, and let me select the pipes etc.

Highly recommend him, your bike is in good hands

D

Zed
3rd July 2004, 22:11
Zed, Brent fixed my VTR when I had my off. Did a fantastic job (they get the paint done through Reflections as well).

Best thing was, given I had purchased a new screen - he offset this against the excess cost over the OEM Screen saving me about $500, and let me select the pipes etc.

Highly recommend him, your bike is in good hands

D
Agreed, and Brent told me that because my bike is in new condition with so few kms he pushed the insurance company to renew (not repair) most damaged parts! :cool:

shadowman2
3rd July 2004, 23:23
In dealing with motormart for hard luggage for my bike I have found their prices very good and service excellent,I must have got them on a good day,but in dealing with bike shops in wellington i found honda in town excellent service but whats the deal with the parking all their bike parks are taken up with the shops bikes and the footpath therefore no parking for the customers.Is there any other bike shops like this,that is more important to display their bikes in the parks than to allow their customers to use the parks instead.

moko
4th July 2004, 05:05
Not a bike dealer I know but I arrived at Te Waipounamou Bike Hire in Takapuna stright off the plane after nearly 2 days travelling to find the XT600 I`d hired wasn`t ready.They`d already got a 650 BMW prepped for me at no extra charge,only trouble was that it didnt have rear footpegs and I wanted to carry a pillion.Darren there told me to grab a beer from the fridge and take in the sun while he got something sorted,came back 5 minutes later and told me he`d phoned the boss in Christchurch and they were giving me an R1100GS BMW for my 3 week hire,same price as for the XT.Brilliant,I`d only really wanted a runabout but took full advantage of having the big Beemer and turned my trip into a far more bike-oriented one than I`d planned and saw loads more of N.Z. than I would have otherwise,top blokes.

Bob
4th July 2004, 05:21
In case any of you guys ever visit my part of the world - do yourselves a favour and do not use an outfit called 'Johns of Romford'.

Bought my wife's Virago from them. I negotiated a new chain and sprockets as part of the deal. Turned up to collect the bike after the 'full service' (yeah, right) to find the old ones still on there "As we've got a staff shortage at the moment". Cheeky sales prat tried to get me to accept the old ones on the basis of 'Well we've given them a good lubing, see if they bed in after 100 miles". Er, no. New chain and sprox get ordered and replaced.

I ride it home and the front brake is awful. So I go back and say I want it looked at, as it is not safe. Result? It gets new pads and cleaned up - shouldn't that have been one of the checks in the service?

Then the battery died. So went back in - sales prat tries to blame my wife for leaving it on park. We didn't even know at that point how to put the lights on park (and not a good idea to insult my wife's intelligence in front of me). Fits new battery. It dies. Fits new battery. Travel 120 miles to her family. Luckily, get into turning and... it dies - fortunately turns out this time to be a cracked fuse holder.

Anyway, by now I am livid. I've suggested to them before now it is the rectifier/regulator... nah, has to be bad luck with the batteries but we'll put it up on the ramp anyway, oh look what is that loose wire... oh sorry you are right, we'll get that wired up properly.

It isn't as if I wasn't a regular customer either! I used to take my bike there for servicing and any work that needed doing. So I'd always ask when it would be ready - pointing out I had to go home on the bus - home being 6 miles away, so it would take me about an hour to get back. Workshop manager would give me a time... and it was never ready then.

Eventually I asked why it was never ready - to which he replied "Well I thought you were in a rush"! So why tell me a time when it WOULDN'T be ready!

In the end I couldn't take their mess any longer. Shame, as their two senior mechanics were decent and seemed to know what they were doing. But the salesman was a chancer and the workshop manager was an idiot!

Still, there was a result. I didn't realise that there was another dealers closer to home (Woodford Motorcycles) - and turned out to be the one voted top London dealership for 4 years running in a major survey done by one of the biggest bike mags in the UK! So now go there and the level of treatment is beyond compare. Know what they're doing, helpful, friendly... and when my SV had problems (turned out to be a faulty throttle position sensor), it was taken back in, work done, other bits and pieces fitted and given a thorough clean!

So it really does pay to look around!

Hitcher
4th July 2004, 15:49
My next challenge is to find a Suzuki dealer who is genuinely interested in selling parts... Suggestions welcome.

MadDuck
4th July 2004, 22:04
Now I am not prepared to name the dealer here in Auckland but seriously think about who you are dealing with before you buy a a new bike (yes dammit a brand new bike). Not some second hand thing of TradeMe.

I bought a brand new SV650 and thought yahoo. Last time I can afford to buy summit new and enjoy it. As I was about to sell it because I thought I was losing my touch and incapable of riding it - thankfully I lent it to a friend to check for me. OK as a girl I am not (and silly enuff) up with the technical stuff associated with a bike. But dammit I expected it to be safe when I drove it off the yard! My friends summary:

"1) 48psi rear tyre 42 psi front.
2) rear shock set on max preload.
3) the nakked sv650 has bloody soft shocks anyways
4) They had shoved the forks 75mm up through the triple clamps to lower the bike for her.
net result A massive oversteer and i DO MEAN MASSIVE B NO remaining fork travel given hitting the slightest bump Net result a big headshake of the almost tank slapper type. "

What would it have taken? Me to kill myself? Dammit I am angry (yes very cos I was going to give up biking) anyone wanna be at bike shop when I go in this week? Could be fun. :calm:

wkid_one
4th July 2004, 22:11
How is it handling now?

At the end of the day, it is up to the rider to set the bike up for themselves, however, one would expect the shop to give it to you in 'factory spec'. Ie, pressures at factory, forks standard thru the TC, preload factory, damper factory, rebound factory etc. Seems bloody ludicrious that they didn't.

I must say tho - that you should, once you get the bike, set it up for yourself. Levers correctly distanced and angled, foot pedals correctly angled, sag set, etc etc.

To expect to ride it off the show room floor is a given tho...makes you wonder about recourse - buyer beware I guess

MadDuck
4th July 2004, 22:26
I at least expect to ride it off the showroom floor safe ...is that too much to ask? They knew they were dealing with a lady biker. I sure as hell wouldnt expect that kinda deal in a car.

It handled like shit thats why i was going to get rid of it. Thought it was just me. Buyer beware is ok on second hand goods but we have a Fair Trading Act in NZ and a Sale of Goods Act.

wkid_one
4th July 2004, 22:30
I at least expect to ride it off the showroom floor safe ...is that too much to ask? They knew they were dealing with a lady biker. I sure as hell wouldnt expect that kinda deal in a car.

It handled like shit thats why i was going to get rid of it. Thought it was just me. Buyer beware is ok on second hand goods but we have a Fair Trading Act in NZ and a Sale of Goods Act.
I know, you would have though that they would have ensured it was set at factory specs at least. 75mm through the TC is huge!!! Shit 10mm on the R1 and the thing is tank slapping like mad

MadDuck
4th July 2004, 22:45
Seems like they saw me coming and that peeves me. I think I will throw Consumer Guarantees Act in there for good measure. Just wonder how many others they have done this too.
This is bike shops doing it to bikers !

FROSTY
4th July 2004, 22:46
i might just a dd a comment here-The suggested tyre pressures are actualy on the swing arm of a sv and as for the forks through the tripple clamps -I mean my gosh why take a nimble handling bike anyways and make it into summat as fast steeting as a GP bike.
Also it would seem that the most simple suggestion for lowering was forgotten in the haste to hussle the bike out the door--shaving foam off the thickly padded riders seat.
well thats my opinion anyways

MadDuck
4th July 2004, 22:57
so call me a mug. What really annoys me as that option was never given to me ...ie. lowering the seat.
I didnt want a GP race bike !

moko
5th July 2004, 01:03
Thing to do is not to lose your rag,stay calm and tell them you`re not happy and are considering complaining to Suzuki,the bike mags,Ministry Of Transport(or equivelant)and anyone else you can think of.The scary thing is that if you`d had an accident and the assessor had looked close enough to see your forks like that they could well refuse to pay up on the grounds the bike was dangerously modified,and what`s the chances of the bike dealer owning up to doing it?I take it you didn`t ask them to drop your forks like that,sounds like some well-meaning idiot took it on themselves to help you out.If their workshop cant get tyre pressures right it dosnt look good for getting some serious work done there does it?My Union Rep once gave me some good advice,"lose your temper and you lose the argument",tell them straight but keep cool and if they piss you off follow through on what you`ve threatened to do,ask for the names of people you deal with and let them see you write them down,take notes on what they say as well,that`ll rattle them.Better still take someone with you,not someone who looks or acts threatening,ideal is someone wearing a suit who says nothing and writes notes.Ask to see the manager,no point in giving some poor sod at the reception desk a hard time.

merv
5th July 2004, 13:00
They shouldn't have done anything away from standard spec without talking about it with you and you agreeing on what to do.

geoffm
5th July 2004, 13:22
Most of my really bad experiences were several or more years ago, so it is probably unfair to blame the current shops for them.
Motomail - pretty expensive - BMW battery was $220 - $10 more than RRP and every one else charges
Red Baron - never had anything done here since it became Red Baron (although it wasn't so good 10 years ago). Got the odd parts from them. Prices ok.
Colemans - found them good for parts, actually have an idea what an RG500 is, and some of their "special features". reasonable accessory and parts prices. Never used the workshop since 1987 so no comments there.
AMPS - good deal on the battery $180, and in stock as well (as it is used by Guzzis and HD). No other dealings.
Experience BMW - Had good workshop service here, with the guy honest enough to admit I may be able to get parts cheaper from Motobins UK than locally. Charge out rate is up there, but they get through a reasonable amount of work in the time, so it works out.
Leading edge tyres: decent price, and they will fit them, ride in , ride out.

The smaller guys:
Davis MC - specialises in scooters and crank repairs. Did a crank rebuild and overhaul of a Honda 50 a few years back. Knows his scooters.
Alec Saunders (SME) - used to be in Ellerslie, and now works from home in Howick. While he may know his stuff, he couldn't organise a pissup in a brewery. Had my LC in his place for ages waiting for the crank to be done. If it isn't fixed when I return from Chch at the end of the year, it is going somewhere else, probably Brett Roberts

I used to use Lindsay Knight in Pukekohe, and he was good. Unfortunatley he had an accident and I don't know what happened to him since
Been a few others over the years, which have gone, such as Greenlane MC, and a place in Howick.

General comment:
Experience costs money, and is worth paying for. I don't mind paying a decent workshop rate, and I am loyal to a good mechanic or other tradesperson. You can't expect a good job at a budget rate, however I have a REAL problem with places charging top whack for poor quality work. This is unacceptable and unforgivable. It is a real problem with unusual bikes like the RG500, where few people have worked on them, and they are a little different.
Geoff

FROSTY
5th July 2004, 13:25
it is a bit of a catch22 situation though. She did need the bike lowered
he handling issues dont apear at legal -read that nana speed and lean angles. I'd suggest that what they did was done in good faith but without much forethought.
Sily though given they could have made extra money with a modified seat

Big Dog
5th July 2004, 18:03
Better still take someone with you,not someone who looks or acts threatening,ideal is someone wearing a suit who says nothing and writes notes.Ask to see the manager,no point in giving some poor sod at the reception desk a hard time.
Done this for a mate before, it was the advice of a lawyer from the LMVD, to not be too specific about your role ie "I am here to support (insert name ) in the event that a claim becomes neccessary." If pushed "I am here to be a witness to the proceedings."
He also advised:
1 to take a breifcase, prefferably a warn looking one and pull out a pad to start taking notes as early as possible.
2 Friend is to be introduced but give no reference to their job unless they really are a lawyer.
3 only one of you talks. The other takes notes. Full stop.
4 In the event that you are unable to reach a conclusion you are going to present a copy your notes to the LMVD (have a contact name and position ready) so make sure you note down everything, names dates, amounts who you spoke to, who signed your agreement (this may be different from the salesman so get both names).

Talk to the LMVD before you go.
If you fail to yeild results talk to the LMVD again, they may ask you to have it independently inspected in the tune it was given to you. If you want your warranty to be worth the paper it is written on do not attempt to have an unautorised workshop repair it. Once it is repaired without documentation or without first giving them the opportunity to remedy they have the right to say NMP (Not My Problem) because it is your word against theirs and you have accepted responsibility for the adjustments.

Once the complaint has been made and it has been inspected if they elect not to remedy it advise them that you intend to persue the claim and intend to include the costs of the repairs in the claim. Otherwise you may diminish your right to remedy.

Diarise all these events.

My mate did all of this when his D grade car failed its first warrant two weeks after purchase. A warrant he did not put his car through because the old one was expired but because every time he started or stopped the motor there was a shower of rust.

It took six or eight months to acheive a remedy (during which time we were under instructions not to repair the fault or any other without diarisng a offer to let them remedy before taking it to a competitor and have it repared and keep the dockets.

He bought the car for $4999.99 plus finance.
He paid approx $4000 on repairs to the engine brakes etc, the chassis was beyond repair.

He settled out of court the day before the LMVD funded mediation for,
A replacement of the same engine capacity and market value.
$12,000 approx made up of repairs, finance and insurance costs plus original purchase price. :bleh:

Dealers suddenly become very accomodating when they are faced with LMVD mediation.

I can't say yours will go as well but try it.

Big Dog
5th July 2004, 18:07
it is a bit of a catch22 situation though. She did need the bike lowered
he handling issues dont apear at legal -read that nana speed and lean angles. I'd suggest that what they did was done in good faith but without much forethought.

Not really. If there were modifications made that altered the performance / handling charachteristics they were obliged to explain the changes and possible consequences.

Perhaps they don't present at legal speeds on the roads you took it down at your weight, they still had a responsibility to advise of the chages in case Mad Duck chose to do a track day, or soldon to someone else who did.

SPman
5th July 2004, 19:47
I think the C G A is a good one to throw at them...."fit for the purpose for which it is to be used!" That includes ALL uses.
Which shop was it, btw?.....by not saying, you are impuning the reps of the other shops who sell new Suzi's.....:rolleyes:

MadDuck
6th July 2004, 12:58
Yeah SPMAn fair comment regarding other bike shops but I want to give the shop I bought it from the chance to correct the problem and explain before dissing them in public.

I was not a happy chappy when I typed the forum and have somewhat calmed. Will let you know outcome when I can get down to Auckland with the bike

DEATH_INC.
6th July 2004, 13:59
Madduck,go talk to them if you haven't already,I've dealt with these guys plenty and I'm sure they'll sort it out for you.

jrandom
6th July 2004, 14:38
Yeah SPMAn fair comment regarding other bike shops but I want to give the shop I bought it from the chance to correct the problem and explain before dissing them in public.

I'll look forward to hearing the full story.

Based on personal experience, I have some quietly-held opinions about the Auckland Suzi shops which I will be interested to see validated or not, as the case may be.

Cajun
6th July 2004, 14:42
we got our bandit 600 from a suzki dealer in orc land dirty cheap at the time old shape 600 bandit for like $8600 i think in the end we got it for on road.

good for a little hack, which mother in law rides a dozon or so times a year, and rest its up to us to run it hehehe

MadDuck
15th July 2004, 21:00
Thought I would follow up so....
Well it was the day of taking the SV for its first service. Was a bit of a shock as mostly I walk to work and the cold fingers and feet were very painful. Hats off to you guys who ride every day!

My good ole pal Frosty had phoned ahead and told the shop exactly what was wrong with the bike so when I turned up they all new me by name and the problems I had been having (Oh no one called me MadDuck by the way). Frosty probably figured I would forget all the techo stuff and he was right :whistle:

I explained how I was so not happy with the handling and to be honest I felt I kinda got a brush off. I got offered a lower seat at yes - you guessed it a wee $210. BUT the problem is no longer the height its the handling I says.... lets just see how it goes after the mods done and I have got some kms up. Then maybe I will consider spending the cash on a lower seat.

They cut off the side stand and remounted the foot which makes a hell of a difference. Got brake lever replaced - yes I dropped her at Wellsford but thats life and i think I have recovered from the embarassment.

Was I happy? Not really but in person I guess I am not quite as bulshy and they got one over me. Do I like the bike still - HELL YEAH!

I am still very concerned about the lowering of these bikes and the effect on handling and the fact that it left the shop in a less than safe condition. But is there really an avenue to persue? I am not so sure.

Paul in NZ
15th July 2004, 21:23
Wots a bike shop?

dangerous
15th July 2004, 21:23
I am still very concerned about the lowering of these bikes and the effect on handling and the fact that it left the shop in a less than safe condition. But is there really an avenue to persue? I am not so sure.

Lowering the ass end of a bike shouldent realy change the handling however the frount is a different story, as too lower it you have to push the forks through the triple clamp which inturn means that you are shortening the wheel base, so the handling will change 'big time'
Now I cant see how thay could only lower the back as the bike wouldent sit level so the frount has to be done aswell.
Tricky stuff I think, but it is a standard pratice so it must be possible to lower but not ulter the handling too much.

FROSTY
15th July 2004, 21:27
Actually I have a fairly major concern here.
I was informed that rather than fitting the lowering kit as requested the bike shop removed the rear shock and drilled a new hole higher up the shock tower.
Surely that can't be right and how can it be safe?
If say i bought the bike and remounted the shock properly -wouldn't it be weaker?
The explaination has me head fucked and in total disbelief Im sorry to say.

jrandom
15th July 2004, 21:36
MD and Frosty, perhaps it's time you said which shop this is, eh? No reason not to; you're not libelling them, just reporting on the facts as they happened.

I think you should start posting names. You don't owe them nuffin'.

MadDuck
15th July 2004, 21:38
WHAT? did I miss that in the interpretation. Lets just say I will be taking bike over to Colemans for a 2nd opinion real soon. So that just leaves one Suzuki dealer for you Orkers to dice your life with!

merv
15th July 2004, 21:43
I was informed that rather than fitting the lowering kit as requested the bike shop removed the rear shock and drilled a new hole higher up the shock tower.
If say i bought the bike and remounted the shock properly -wouldn't it be weaker?

I haven't looked at one of these close but it would depend on the type of bottom fitting the shock has and whether it is OK to drill it. As an example the DR250R I had actually came standard with two different holes already drilled in the bottom shock fitting. I won't labour you here with how bad the Suzuki design was to enable the change as I've described that before.

I would have loved to have been able to lower my new WR the same way, but the flanged arrangement on the bottom of the Yam shock didn't allow that and there was a problem of clearance inside the swingarm housing i.e. the hole the shock mounts through. I didn't have time to waste before going on the Pukemanu Adventure ride at the time so I just blew the dough on buying a shorter Ohlins shock from Robert Taylor. He'll make anything you want - at a cost.

So is it safe? I hope so and it will depend on just how much aluminium is supporting the new mounting point - should it have been flanged etc.

jrandom
15th July 2004, 21:45
WHAT? did I miss that in the interpretation. Lets just say I will be taking bike over to Colemans for a 2nd opinion real soon. So that just leaves one Suzuki dealer for you Orkers to dice your life with!

Yeah, well, I mean, I think people's jaws would have been dropping real good if you'd said that Colemans focked your suspension setup on a new bike. No surprises there.

I bought my FXR new from the Other Dealer too. When I got it, it leaked oil because the filter wasn't in properly, and the tuning was *way* wrong.

Which is why I always go to Colemans for shop work now and will buy any future Suzukis from them.

Badcat
15th July 2004, 21:53
haldanes have suzuki too, don't they?
are we discussing Holeshot?
i have currently one new suzuki in their workshop for it's first service and the other booked in!
please cut the cutesy "don't want to tell tales".
Why start if you refuse to tell the story?

ken

FROSTY
15th July 2004, 21:55
um guys --please keep in mind there are 3 suzi dealers in auckland -2 in central auckland and one north shore.

jrandom
15th July 2004, 21:56
um guys --please keep in mind there are 3 suzi dealers in auckland -2 in central auckland and one north shore.

Eh? Who's the other one?

MadDuck
15th July 2004, 21:58
Yeah, well, I mean, I think people's jaws would have been dropping real good if you'd said that Colemans focked your suspension setup on a new bike. No surprises there.

I bought my FXR new from the Other Dealer too. When I got it, it leaked oil because the filter wasn't in properly, and the tuning was *way* wrong.

Which is why I always go to Colemans for shop work now and will buy any future Suzukis from them.

Ok you got it in one JR. It was not Colemans but a dealer in Barrys Point Road by the name of Holeshot. I have been told not to post the name cos its a small industry but those that know me know I also am a scuba diving instructor and if you dont stand up for the safety of others and someone dies ....shit it is a point of no return (umm French Pass).
Would I feel bad if another KBer went there and got the same bike with same mods and crashed. Hell I would hate myself for not offering a warning.

dangerous
15th July 2004, 21:59

shit I tend to agree.
As far as I know a lowering kit involves changing the dogs and or shock etc emm........

I will be taking bike over to Colemans for a 2nd opinion real soon.

sounds like a bloody good idea

jrandom
15th July 2004, 22:03
i have currently one new suzuki in their workshop for it's first service and the other booked in!

ken

Sorry, yes. I thought I was being clear. Forgot Haldanes did Suzuki too.

And yes, I'd strongly advise you (probably MD and Frosty would too!) to use Colemans instead. I remember posting about my little annoyances with Holeshot a year or so ago but haven't mentioned it subsequent.

FROSTY
15th July 2004, 22:07
Eh? Who's the other one?
bob haldanes is now a suzie dealership

geoffm
15th July 2004, 22:10

Hmm, should instantly fail WOF, unless they get it certified. I woudl suggest getting a suitable, qualified transport engineer / certifier to give a professional opinion. Bike shop will be up for a new frame...
Geoff

MadDuck
15th July 2004, 22:17

ken

Take your bike to somewhere else Ken. Maybe Colemans but I have never been there so its reliance on other KBers

jrandom
15th July 2004, 22:22
Take your bike to somewhere else Ken. Maybe Colemans but I have never been there so its reliance on other KBers

Yeah, Colemans have an excellent reputation. I've had nothing but good experiences with them personally.

I suspect the other Suzuki owners on the forum would agree.

FROSTY
15th July 2004, 22:29
Guys I was/am stating my opinion only here.
As in my SV650 report I was handed the bike because it felt "weird" to ride and nothing like her previous bike.
My opinion was that the setup was dangerous.
Shoulda coulda woulda wasnt out there with me when the darn thing bump steered its way almost into a ditch
Two smoke and MR will testify as to how bloody hard I was working to keep the bike on the road.
at that point we were not low flying but the road was windey/slippery /bumpy.
I still feel the bike needs some suspension tuning but it was a whole different bike once basicly being set back to stock.
My questions were -why wasnt the suzuki lowering kit fitted as requested and -why wasnt the skimming the seat option offered right away?

MadDuck
15th July 2004, 22:30
I can't not vouch for Colemans. Will let you know when I head in there with the cycle for a once over.

JR - you dont work there by any chance ah?

jrandom
15th July 2004, 22:34
JR - you dont work there by any chance ah?

Heh. If I DID, I wouldn't be astroturfing, I'd be offering y'all discounts.

Most of the members who have met me can confirm that I don't work in the bike industry...

MadDuck
15th July 2004, 22:44
Heh. If I DID, I wouldn't be astroturfing, I'd be offering y'all discounts.

Most of the members who have met me can confirm that I don't work in the bike industry...

You know the most insulting thing about the whole day was what they gave me as a loaner. Well bugger me you shorty lets see what we got. Oh heres an FX 125 step thru. You know how that felt turning up to work.

And when I returned keys saying keep that one ...oh its not so bad. I checked to see if I aint a Martian

Antallica
15th July 2004, 22:53
Yes those FX125's are rather rude... I saw a dude in Whangarei riding with a pillion going up a hill. Made me smile ;)

SPman
16th July 2004, 19:02
Holeshot, eh. Why am I not surprised....

moko
17th July 2004, 05:17
Got to give a mention here to Bridge Garage in Exeter.A guy in Plymouth bought a bike from there,paper said £8500 Kawasaki but not the model.He was a little bit pissed off to find rust on his brand new bike(I`ve actually witnessed the same on another brand new Kwak)and asked them to sort it out.They weren`t interested so he padlocked his bike across their entrance for a few hours forceing them to eventually call the Police,who`ve since prosecuted him.Nice one Bridge,I`ve bought a bike from them before and given them some free publicity.If that`s the way they treat customers now they can forget my custom,go and F*** yourselves Bridge.I nearly bought a brand new Fazer from them last year,I`d e-mailed ahead and got a guide to the price they`d give me as a trade in.Arrived,found exactly the bike I wanted then failed miserably to attract the attention of any of their sales staff.2 were having a laugh about something while the other 3 stood around talking to some guy on a Harley.Maybe I looked scruffy and poor and that was the problem but thats because my bike gear gets worn all year round and is for comfort not looks.I was there,the bike I wanted was next to me,looks or not I had the funds........got pissed off waiting,went down the road and got something older but as new and barely run in that someone else had taken a massive depreciation hit on.Salesman approached me straight away,offered a test ride,haggled and gave way on the trade in price(gave me above book on an over average mileage bike)and went flat out to get the bike prepped for me to ride away immiedietely.Archies of Newton Abbot 1-Bridge Garage f***-all

gav
17th July 2004, 10:15
Anyone got any opinions on Trevor Pierce Motorcycles, seems to be doing OK, found Trevor himself pretty good when I was racing my ZXR400.
Street & Sport are pretty good for parts. Have bought tyres from Budget but suprised by the old fashioned way they fit tyres, no tire machine in store.
Can anyone recommend a Honda store to deal with for parts, Casbolts are poor, even email them part numbers and still they manage to cock it up, ask to email or ring me when bits turn up etc, still get nothing, "oh sorry deleted your email ..."

Kickaha
17th July 2004, 15:11
Trevor Pierce has always looked after me fairly well and sponsored our first years Sidecar racing

Trevor Kirby at Budget has also provided good value for me,and was just about to purchase a decent tyre machine when I talked to him last week.

Ghost Lemur
17th July 2004, 18:51
Anyone got any opinions on Trevor Pierce Motorcycles, seems to be doing OK, found Trevor himself pretty good when I was racing my ZXR400.
Street & Sport are pretty good for parts. Have bought tyres from Budget but suprised by the old fashioned way they fit tyres, no tire machine in store.
Can anyone recommend a Honda store to deal with for parts, Casbolts are poor, even email them part numbers and still they manage to cock it up, ask to email or ring me when bits turn up etc, still get nothing, "oh sorry deleted your email ..."

Ecohonda (sp?). There's a thread on them floating around here somewhere. Pretty sure they're not in chch, but are reliable enough to deliver pretty promptly.

Sensei
17th July 2004, 19:20
Well brought my Triumph from Hamilton M/C 16,000k got to 19,000k 3 month's after buying & it shit all the main bearing's . $1600 to fix total stip & rebuild . Told them to come & pick up so as to check it out ,which was done .1 week later got phoned to come & pick it up nothing wrong with it they told me . Got there took for test ride round the block fucken knocking like fuck took it back to New Plymouth.Stipped down repaired at my expense .They didn't want to know about fronting up with fixing or helping out with the repair bill , so told them to stick the $192 they said I owed them for the week they spent looking at it & payment for picking it up .Fucking wanker's "What goes around come's around " I don't mind waiting for pay back :kick: !! Sensei

dangerous
17th July 2004, 20:37
Can anyone recommend a Honda store to deal with for parts, Casbolts are poor
Casbolts are crap mate,
yeah I can I use a shop in Melbourne for honda and one in Brisbane for Moto Guzzi.
I find that its a damn site easier to ring them and the bits are on my door step by the end of the week rather than go into town just to find that there is no stock in store or NZ and be told that its ex Japan.
Also as far as after market parts go anything is possible in Oz eg: last month I brought some clear indercators from Oz as there is no such thing here in NZ for Honda and no doubt most other brands so I proberly have the only clear set in NZ on a VTR :rolleyes:

Trevor Kirby at Budget has also provided good value for me
Sorry Kickaha but that guy is a f***ing asshole, the prick had me arrested once, but as the cops draged me away they quitely said 'that guy is a wanker' and told me to bugger off and they will deal with him....oh and they reconmended that I dident go back there.
I think that the cops have had trouble with him before and that they had to be seen to be doing there job by hauling my arse out of there.

Kickaha
17th July 2004, 20:43
Sorry Kickaha but that guy is a f***ing asshole, the prick had me arrested once, but as the cops draged me away they quitely said 'that guy is a wanker' and told me to bugger off and they will deal with him....oh and they reconmended that I dident go back there.
I think that the cops have had trouble with him before and that they had to be seen to be doing there job by hauling my arse out of there.

You'll have to tell me that story sometime,don't spose anyone got it on video :rolleyes:

I've dealt with him for years and while he can be very opinionated,he hasn't ever done me wrong.

laRIKin
17th July 2004, 20:53
Try one of the ones below, I haven't as I do not own a Honda.

Rangiora Motorcycles Limited

Honda Country, (Ashburton)

They are the only ones hat I know of that are close.

As for Trevor Pierce Motorcycles, as with a lot of dealers now days, go in with
your eyes open.
I would be careful, a mate got burnt with a repair.
But it does come down to the last owner of the bike, most of the time.

dangerous
17th July 2004, 20:55
You'll have to tell me that story sometime,don't spose anyone got it on video :rolleyes:

emmm.... well the bugger still owes me a T shirt as he tore mine off me, he can move bloody fast for a old bugger :calm:
ps: how many times have you heard him say 'well when I was racing.....' :rolleyes:

DEATH_INC.
18th July 2004, 07:49
Just wanna say that I've had no troubles from holeshots,been dealing with them since I first bought the GSXR,and they've always been great to deal with and been reasnobly priced.
I almost hate to say it but I wonder if it's the girl thing,my mrs still finds most bike shops don't give her much assistance 'till I walk in,and I've heard of this plenty in the mechanical trade too....... :kick:

Firefight
18th July 2004, 07:57
Just wanna say that I've had no troubles from holeshots,been dealing with them since I first bought the GSXR,and they've always been great to deal with and been reasnobly priced.
I almost hate to say it but I wonder if it's the girl thing,my mrs still finds most bike shops don't give her much assistance 'till I walk in,and I've heard of this plenty in the mechanical trade too....... :kick:

Yeah, Mrs F/F has had the same thing Andrew, she went into Mike Ramesy Pukekohe a couple of years ago,she had 8k cash to buy a trail bike for herself and oldest daughter to ride, they treated her like some blond bimbo who didn't have a clue(when it comes to off road bikes she is far from that)

Rather than get pissed off, she walked up the road to the local Honda dealer
were she was treated like the off road biker she is and was able to rid her self of some of my hard earned dosh.

That Kawa dealer has changed hands now, but I havn;t been back, so can't comment on the attatude of the sales staff now.

F/F

MadDuck
18th July 2004, 20:24
Well to be honest Death and Dave that makes it all the worse.

Because I am a chick they send me off on a dangerous bike! I had afterall paid good cash for a new bike.

gav
19th July 2004, 14:07
Also as far as after market parts go anything is possible in Oz eg: last month I brought some clear indercators from Oz as there is no such thing here in NZ for Honda and no doubt most other brands so I proberly have the only clear set in NZ on a VTR :rolleyes:

er hum, cough, seen these?
bought these from Street & Sport, had quite a range, not sure if they are legal , but Street & Sport gave me my most recent WOF :niceone:

DEATH_INC.
19th July 2004, 15:08
Well to be honest Death and Dave that makes it all the worse.

Because I am a chick they send me off on a dangerous bike! I had afterall paid good cash for a new bike.

Yeah,I was sorta getting at that......
Don't get me wrong,I don't think that makes it right.I still think you should demand that they set it right,and up to YOUR standard.Find the appropriate clause in the consumers act,it states the product must be 'fit for purpose' I beleive,and if they give you to much greif, quote it to them,that normally sends most retailers into a spin......
You could also hit the ltsa,tell them who issued the wof,and try to get something done that way.

jrandom
19th July 2004, 15:23
Find the appropriate clause in the consumers act,it states the product must be 'fit for purpose' I beleive,and if they give you to much greif, quote it to them,that normally sends most retailers into a spin......

I agree with Death. And I agree, unfortunately, with the likelihood of the "chick in a motor vehicle shop" factor.

Sarah refuses to call mechanics about the cage now, even though it's primarily her vehicle. She's had too many instances of unpleasant and dismissive guys on the other end. In each of those instances we ended up getting pretty good service, but only after I got on the phone to the same place and dropped a few comments in my very best black-jeans voice about how they might need to gronnelate the anterior widget with a different grade of retrogrease. Etc. So now I always end up dealing with the spanner monkeys.

MD, if you want someone to go into HS with you and give them the ol' talking to, I work close by and would be happy to come along. Although since Frosty's ridden the bike and has seen what's going on you'd probably do better to bribe *him*...

rodgerd
19th July 2004, 15:50
3. I'd be pretty sure there would be more to it than just getting the bike wet.

Mick's told me in the past that I have to find dry days for test rides, because their insurance company will give them gyp if a bike goes down on a wet day.

Mongoose
19th July 2004, 15:58
I reckon it does not matter what bikeshop you speak of, some one will have a horror story to tell. One of the local shops here gave me such crap after sales service i will not buy another bike off them and yet a mate bought from the same shop and got excellent, almost to the extreme, after sales service.
With a lack of bike shops here ts "take yer chances" and deal with the one that cuts you the best deal/service.

rodgerd
19th July 2004, 16:21

People's mileage obviously varies, 'cos I've been pretty hapy with them. When I got run over by a learner drive in a Legacy Turbo, they arranged a free pickup on the bike to get it to the workshop.

One better was when my wife wanted to give riding pillion a go, since she'd never tried before - she didn't want to buy a helmet etc without knowing whether she'd enjoy riding. When we asked the guys if they knew anywhere we can hire gear, they let us use some of their test ride kit for free for an hour or so.

dangerous
19th July 2004, 19:08
er hum, cough, seen these?
bought these from Street & Sport, had quite a range, not sure if they are legal , but Street & Sport gave me my most recent WOF :niceone:

Ah ha, you again :spudwave: well rather than reposting my photos and explaining things again go here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=68295#post68295 #79
for you others: I wanted to keep the oem indercator but with the clear lense see above link

LB
20th July 2004, 05:40
The Wellington bike shops all know me so I don't have a problem here.

In Chch last year Casbolts treated me like an idiot (they tried to tell me I had a 750 Monster, I don't think they'd heard of an 800 - it was parked back at the motel or I would have dragged the guy out to show him I knew what I was talking about)

Back in the old days at Wgtn M/Cycles one of the new sales guys didn't know me and we were in there looking at tyres for my bike. The guy basically ignored me and talked to Hamish, even though Hamish kept saying "it's for Lynda's bike". Out comes Robert Holden (he used to work there) and says "hi Lynda, how's it going". The sales guys eyes nearly popped out of his head.

White trash
20th July 2004, 07:29
Yeah, Mrs F/F has had the same thing Andrew, she went into Mike Ramesy Pukekohe a couple of years ago,she had 8k cash to buy a trail bike for herself and oldest daughter to ride, they treated her like some blond bimbo who didn't have a clue(when it comes to off road bikes she is far from that)

F/F

Funny how sales staff treat women like that.

Selling the types of bikes I do, I always try to sell to the wife/partner of the bloke looking at the bike. Reason is fairly simple, in most households (mine included) I figure the wife has to approve the purchase anyway. If she's treated with respect and included in discussions, you're a hell of a lot closer to closing the sale.

Also, before I began working where I work, I had heard stories of women being left unatended in the shop when they were there to buy a bike. I personally believe there's a lot of women out there who want to ride bikes but aren't sure how to go about starting and I'm keen to give them any assistance they require.

merv
20th July 2004, 08:08
No shop in particular, but to me one of the bigger problems is when you aren't left unattended when you want to be so you can have a good poke around and do your own thinking without the constant chatter of the salesman when his opinion on what he thinks you might want is way off what you are thinking.

Everyone has different reasons why they might like a particular bike and one is size/fit another being looks etc. Its no use a salesman telling me how cool a bike looks if I don't think it looks good.

I'm of the "when I want something I'll ask" school, but that doesn't mean being given shit service when you ask.

750Y
20th July 2004, 11:57
I was told by a salesman at one shop as i stodd there with a new helmet on... "i'd love to sell you that helmet but it does not fit!". well 2 identical size/model helmets and years later my helmet is excellent and still fits perfectly. that guy is now a mechanic hmmm...

MadDuck
20th July 2004, 13:03
MD, if you want someone to go into HS with you and give them the ol' talking to, I work close by and would be happy to come along. Although since Frosty's ridden the bike and has seen what's going on you'd probably do better to bribe *him*...

Thanks jrandom. Awesome offer as no way I would drag Frosty away from his new job - he is kinda busy :shit: and when I next cross the court at HS I will be well researched and ready for action.

I am really not keen on going back there until I have done some homework. I want it checked by a neutral dealer to ascertain if this method is standard practice or not...etc. They had their chance to explain and fix it but didnt so I most certainly will take them for it if I find it was as dangerous as it sounds. The CGA most certainly will take effect in this instance so I hope thet are ready for me.

Whoever issued the WOF better duck for cover as well - assuming the mods were done before it was issued.

MD

DEATH_INC.
20th July 2004, 13:31
Funny how sales staff treat women like that.

Selling the types of bikes I do, I always try to sell to the wife/partner of the bloke looking at the bike. Reason is fairly simple, in most households (mine included) I figure the wife has to approve the purchase anyway. If she's treated with respect and included in discussions, you're a hell of a lot closer to closing the sale.

Also, before I began working where I work, I had heard stories of women being left unatended in the shop when they were there to buy a bike. I personally believe there's a lot of women out there who want to ride bikes but aren't sure how to go about starting and I'm keen to give them any assistance they require.
Yeah,we get a lot of business from M*g & T*rbo :bleh: because they don't treat woman customers with any sort of respect,if they'll even bother talking to them.I'm still amazed that sales guys don't realise how many girls drive/ride.
And as you pointed out,approve most of the spending.....

merv
20th July 2004, 15:29
MadDuck have you referred your problem to Suzuki NZ as well given it was a new bike and they should have concern for you?

My latest dealings are with Yamaha given I bought the WR a few months ago and they have sent me two customer surveys since I've had it, one about delivery of the bike and the second one to follow up after the first service so as the supplier of the bikes they are taking a keen interest in their customers and the performance of their dealers. I would hope Suzuki would do the same.

FROSTY
20th July 2004, 15:48
Funny innit how many sales guys F#$#$ up their sales by talking to the bloke.
From my experience 75% of the time the woman holds the purse strings. If you can convince her you're worth dealing with -youre halfway there to a sale.
I nearly lost a 10k sale on sunday because I found the wrong shade of blue

750Y
20th July 2004, 16:02
My latest dealings are with Yamaha given I bought the WR a few months ago and they have sent me two customer surveys since I've had it, one about delivery of the bike and the second one to follow up after the first service so as the supplier of the bikes they are taking a keen interest in their customers and the performance of their dealers. I would hope Suzuki would do the same.

I bought a brand new bike from Suzuki at the start of the year. I never heard from them since.

James Deuce
20th July 2004, 16:19
Funny innit how many sales guys F#$#$ up their sales by talking to the bloke.
From my experience 75% of the time the woman holds the purse strings. If you can convince her you're worth dealing with -youre halfway there to a sale.
I nearly lost a 10k sale on sunday because I found the wrong shade of blue
'kin Oath!

Plus mine negotiates much better than I do. I see shiney thing, I buy shiney thing. Wife see shiney thing, she hit me upside head and while I'm still dazed she get 15-20% off shiney thing.

Zed
20th July 2004, 16:32
I bought a brand new bike from Suzuki at the start of the year. I never heard from them since.
I've had the same experience buying bikes (new & used) from shops, never get a follow up letter or anything! It's like they just think I'll return for more business...and I do! :blink: Go figure?

Kickaha
20th July 2004, 18:14
Yeah,we get a lot of business from M*g & T*rbo :bleh: because they don't treat woman customers with any sort of respect,if they'll even bother talking to them.I'm still amazed that sales guys don't realise how many girls drive/ride.
And as you pointed out,approve most of the spending.....

Haha yep those M*g & T*rbo guys are good for business

On sales courses we have done we have been told pay more attention to the female customers,as they do most of the buying for the family,and they like more information,whereas the guys already think they know it all

SPman
20th July 2004, 18:20
'kin Oath!

Plus mine negotiates much better than I do. I see shiney thing, I buy shiney thing. Wife see shiney thing, she hit me upside head and while I'm still dazed she get 15-20% off shiney thing.
Oh too true! I'm still amazed how ruthless and cheeky my esteemed partner can be buying stuff. Thats why salesmen don't talk to the women.....they know they'll get rolled! :rolleyes:

dangerous
20th July 2004, 19:36
MadDuck have you referred your problem to Suzuki NZ as well given it was a new bike and they should have concern for you?

Hey good idea, as just recently I relised that the Honda dealer that I brought my bike from hadent passed on my warentee on to Blue Wing Honda (BWH) and only thanks to the Honda riders club did I find this out (cos I was ment to get free membership and had heard nothing as they get ther info from BWH)
Well BWH contacted me and wanted to know all the details eg: shop sales guy etc, so I'm guessing that someone got a kick in the ass.
So Madduck FWIW send Suzuki NZ a email (get it from ther web site)

Madduck: hows about forgeting about the current shop you deal with and moving on to another Suzuki dealer for your next service and get them to sort any prob's you have I'm sure that Suzuki NZ will help out with reimbursment *(sp) for the extra work (if needed) once they know of you situation :spudwave:

maybe
20th July 2004, 23:17
:whocares: - Without reading every page I dont know if this has already been said but at the end of the day it dont matter where you go you can get shit service but some places offer great service - it's what we do about the it that matters! I have no prob's asking a person what they believe is good customer service and when they give you that odd look and slight grin you know dam well you now have them by the balls BUT hey Im also very good and making sure I acknowledge great service too :sunny:

TSS - Alicetown, Lower Hutt - Stu & his team know their stuff.

As for PTMC - really suggest that the service yr wife got was odd, and think that she shld contact Phil and ask him to recify as Im sure he will. :done:

loosebruce
21st July 2004, 00:32

Right on, couldn't agree more. I brought my first bike from Motomart back before they got the ducati dealership, i got a ZXR250 from them, not only did it get a dogdy WOF (as in the rear disc was thinner than my fingernail) it ran like a sack, the thing wouldn't get past 110, oh sorry 130 on a downhill woohoo, took it back and a certain hillbilly mechanic who worked there at the time took it for a ride, brought it back and said it was a ROCKET and didn't know what i was talking about. When asked about the disc they said it was fine blah blah blah and generally didn want to know. Turned out the main jet inone of the carbs had fallen out and the amount of carp in the carb was a joke. You'd think once they got the ducati deal and the store got upgraded so would've the service, but no.
Anyhow i got my own back in a small way, when the ZXR's gearbox shat itself no small thanks to WT for the rollin burnout he was performing at the time, thanks bro. But managed to swap them the bike and some pizza (worked at a pizza shop) for a new HJC AC-10, score! the bike was worthless really.
Since then apart from buying my first TLS from a shop in masterton coz they were the only one's game enough to sell a 1000cc to me on my restricted, i have always gone to Welly M/Cycles, i get the best service and deals fromn them, even since moving to Akld i still go there for anything, they have no problem couiring parts upto me, and not to mention when my current TLS dropped a valve they orgainsed it to be picked up and taken back down there to be fixed as i havn't had many dealings with any shops up here in Aucks, i don't think there are too many shops out there that would go to such lengths......

MadDuck
21st July 2004, 21:35
Madduck: hows about forgeting about the current shop you deal with and moving on to another Suzuki dealer for your next service and get them to sort any prob's you have I'm sure that Suzuki NZ will help out with reimbursment *(sp) for the extra work (if needed) once they know of you situation :spudwave:

Yeah thanks Dangerous. That didnt work. Suzuki NZ werent interested in the least and told me to go back to the dealer. Blast might have to start my own thread. The MD saga and the SV :Pokey:

Antallica
21st July 2004, 21:42
Right that's it.... let's gather the troops and lynch those bastards..... grab yer exhausts dudes.

:raghead: :2guns: :ar15:

FROSTY
21st July 2004, 21:52
'kin Oath!

remind me not to try selling you a sinney thing dude :devil2:

MadDuck
21st July 2004, 22:13
hahahaha...ummm If I can manage to wing a day off work maybe a KB lunch gathering is called for. I will bring picnic lunch ..damn I think I know how to fry a chicken (cos aint that wot girls do :kick: ) and you can watch the fireworks. Meeting would be ex cycle treads place. All proceeds to a good charity.

FROSTY
23rd July 2004, 16:20
Guys n gals this probably isn't the final chapter in the madduck/ SV650 saga but I thought I'd just inject my opinion here.
I was the one who rode the bike because of the "funny" handling.
I've spoken to two other bike shops about this bike and I now believe that what was done by Holshots was done in good faith.
The mistake they made and yes it was a BIG mistake was not informing the customer -(in language she could understand) exactly what effect the changes they made to her bike would make to its handling and how it would or could feel in corners and under brakes.
For the record drilling the rear shock where they did it although sounding bad-(and in my mental image downright dangerous) is actually safe and done quite commonly. other suzuki models have holes predrilled in the shock.
They I believe lost themselves revenue by not offering first to supply the alternative seat and the suzuki lowering kit -but its only a money issue -their loss.
They made a big communication error that may have resulted in someone getting hurt. Thank gosh nooone did :eek:

MadDuck
24th July 2004, 22:15
OK so I cut short track day to pop in to HS to have a chat with them about the bike. Suzuki NZ had contacted them about my "inquiry" and I received a phone call last week to come bring the bike in.

I have to say I was impressed by the change in attitude and their willingness to look at and set the bike up the way I want it. Now some of you scoffers of HS may be thinking - yeah its only because you contacted Suzuki NZ BUT I have to admit that I was partly (umm largely) to blame for not having the knowledge to ask the right questions. Sometimes us gals are our own worst enemies for we walk in blind as I did. I am know a heck of a lot more and am up to play with the bike and the mods that were done. I think here endeth the saga - or was that one big lesson?

But I am hoping it kept you guys entertained for a while

dangerous
24th July 2004, 22:54
Hey.... good too see now go and enjoy that there nice bike and I dont believe that you were 'largely' to blame girl or no girl any shop should explain what they have done to a bike/car to the owner.

Stevo
25th July 2004, 19:39
I have dealt Honda Country in Ashburton for 5 or so years now and having recently moved to Blenheim still get stuff through them. They LOVE Honda's!!! Got a couple of nice RC45s in there too! Don't carry large large stocks of stuff but a ring a day ahead and they can prob have it in there. SOOO ..........................It's in Ashvegas. Godd excuse to hop on the bike and go for a ride :scooter: Bit of a bugger if ya need work done by them tho cos is a long walk back to Chch ;)

Don't have a problem with the dealers in Blenheim yet. Just kinda loyal to the guys down there who have looked after my servicing of my farm bikes for years ( I do oil changes etc) but my oldest Honda ATV has done 6500hrs now!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Never touched the motor.

yankwi
7th January 2005, 11:02
OMG....... USED to work at a shop here in H-town myself....
SHOCKING.. 2 say ta lest..
When shop standards fall so will its rep, tizz why i moved on & now lookin 4 work.
NOPE not once with me, and is why I WELCOMED ta owners in for a lQQk netime.

Firefight
7th January 2005, 11:05
When shop standards fall so will its rep, tizz why i moved on & now lookin 4 work.

Is that the mad Yank who used to work at Bikes and Bits in Hammyhole ?

F/F :wavey:

750Y
7th January 2005, 11:08

trashy may be after someone down welly way

yankwi
7th January 2005, 11:16

Try ta flatplate washer ya fold over ta nuts edge to stop it from commin loose.
Sooo much for some M/C teczz . eha.
Not on my floor.....

Biff
7th January 2005, 11:17
I have to agree that Casbolts Honda in Christchurch is very poor. They "forget" to order things, they forget you arranged a test ride, they're expensive and getting any freebies out of them or worthwhile discount after buying a brand new bike is as easy as getting Osama Bin Laden to give you his address so that you can send him a xmas card.

inlinefour
7th January 2005, 12:24

Ash King Honda was the bain of Honda's exsistance until they pulled the dealership.

vifferman
7th January 2005, 12:35
Ash King Honda was the bain of Honda's exsistance until they pulled the dealership.[QUOTE=I have to agree that Casbolts Honda in Christchurch is very poor. [/QUOTE]Mebbe it's just a Honda thing?
I used to go to Mount Motorcycles in Tauranga, because they were better than the whover was the Honda dealer, and I've decided there's no way the VifFerraRi or me are seeing the inside of the local Honda dealers if I can possibly help it. They pissed me off so much with their excessively mercenary attitude that I'd rather ride for 4 hours to another town than give them any more of my money. Yeah, they have to make a living, but if they treat people right, then those same people will feel some sort of loyalty to the shop, and will give them a good reputation to boot.

Don't these guys get it? :spudwhat:
Have they never heard of customer service?
How about stocking commonly-used spares so people aren't waiting 3 weeks to get mobile again?
How about loaner bikes, they could be useful when you work miles and miles away from the shop?

Biff
7th January 2005, 12:47
How about loaner bikes, they could be useful when you work miles and miles away from the shop?

oooooooooo - don't get me onto loaner bikes. casbolts have a 327 year old CB125 that they lent me when i had my bike in for a service. me in all my gear, iridium visor to boot riding a freakin cb125. school kids laughing at me as i went past, and to top it off, it has ducati 999s stickers on it!!!!!! :thud:

FROSTY
7th January 2005, 12:50
well I walked into a local dealership yesterday with chequbook burning a hole in my pocket. -excuse me mr salesman Ive got a couple of questions about these bikes. My questions were specific and very to the point not price related. One question he couldnt answer the others he seemed little interested in . Ohh well never mind someone else is gonna get my money

Hitcher
7th January 2005, 13:06
Well, having captured the attention of a salesperson, ANZA made purchasing the new bike (it's big and red, and currently parked outside Ducati House on Lambton Quay) a very straightforward process. A big ups to the team!!

Ghost Lemur
7th January 2005, 14:20
well I walked into a local dealership yesterday with chequbook burning a hole in my pocket. -excuse me mr salesman Ive got a couple of questions about these bikes. My questions were specific and very to the point not price related. One question he couldnt answer the others he seemed little interested in . Ohh well never mind someone else is gonna get my money

What were you looking at?

James Deuce
7th January 2005, 14:34
What were you looking at?
Probably something I want to buy. Bloody KBers hoovering up all good lower/mid-price range bikes. Mutter, grumble.

LB
7th January 2005, 14:37
Well, having captured the attention of a salesperson, ANZA made purchasing the new bike (it's big and red, and currently parked outside Ducati House on Lambton Quay) a very straightforward process. A big ups to the team!!

I like it!!!!!!

vifferman
7th January 2005, 14:41
Well, having captured the attention of a salesperson, ANZA made purchasing the new bike (it's big and red, and currently parked outside Ducati House on Lambton Quay) a very straightforward process. A big ups to the team!!Oh yeah, they're good like that, are (some) salespeoples.
And other stuff too, like lying, cheating, and extracting money without apparent thought being given to customer satisfaction.

Well, at least the ones that look like people but which are actually money-grubbing carnivores are. :crazy:

Gasman
7th January 2005, 14:50
I seem to have been here before. When I bought my first bike, nearly 30 years ago, the service was crap. If you weren't one of the 'in' crowd, that is into racing, customising etc you had to beg to get service. Even in the bloody Honda shop! (that was the days of CB100's, remember them?) Cool....NOT.

So, what's new. At least here in Christchurch we have some decent shops, with some staff that seem interested, no matter what you look like (or more to the point, what you don't look like!) The wise ones know that you can't judge a biker by his clothing and hair (or lack of!)

:crybaby:

Grumpy
7th January 2005, 16:35
Coming home from a ride a few weeks ago I ran over a rather large piece of metal that made short work of f...king my rear tyre. As I had a trip planned for the following weekend I was in a little panic to get a new tyre in time. As I work in Auckland I thought it would be easier to score a tyre from up there and take it home with me on the plane.

Before heading up I emailed Cycletreads to get a quote on a Bridgestone 012.
Next day at work I checked my emails and there was no reply so I gave them a bell. I was quoted $385 for a new tyre. After I got up off the floor I suggested that surely he could do better. After talking to his boss he came back with $340. that was better so I asked him to put it aside and I'll pick it up later.

Before knocking off work I was checking my emails and found one from cycletreads with a quote for $300 for the same tyre. Needless to say that was what I ended up paying for it so I ended up with a smile.

Now I realise that it is my responsibility to make sure that I'm not ripped off and I've been around long enough to know what questions to ask ( this isn't the first time that I have experienced this shit with this shop) but I have never found this with any other shop that I have dealt with for tyres or whatever.

I realise that I'm not experienced in retail but why a shop that must be one of the largest sellers of motorcycle tyres in the country has to resort to this kind of crap surprises me. Wouldn't it be nice if when you ask for a price for something you get given their best price without all the bullshit. If every other shop that I've dealt with for motorcycle products can offer this kind of service, why can't Cycletreads?

WINJA
7th January 2005, 16:56
YAMAHA DIRECTED ME TO A BIKE SHOP FOR A TEST RIDE ON AN R1, I HAD A BUM BAG FULL OF MONEY , THE DEMO BIKE WAS THERE AND I SAID "HI I WOULD LIKE TO TEST RIDE THE R1 PLEASE"THE GUY LOOKED ME UP AND DOWN AND WALKED OFF LAUGHING, I WENT TO ANOTHER SHOP THEY SAID THEY CAN ARRANGE A TEST RIDE BUT ALL BIKES HAVE TO BE MODIFIED B4 LEAVING THE SHOP AS THERE WAS A CLUTCH BASKET DRIVE FAULT. OK HELLO KAWASAKI

MSTRS
7th January 2005, 16:57
An earlier post in this thread mentioned somethig about the 'in' crowd....must have been talking about me then as I can't remember any crap in any bike shop I've been in. In fact, between Xmas & NewYear I was in New Plymouth & had a concern about spongy brakes. Bowled into the Suzuki dealer workshop, head mechanic topped up rear reservoir & bled back & front systems on the spot & had the audacity to say "on yer bike'" when I pulled out my wallet :2thumbsup :yeah:

dangerous
7th January 2005, 17:20
oooooooooo - don't get me onto loaner bikes. casbolts have a 327 year old CB125 that they lent me when i had my bike in for a service. me in all my gear, iridium visor to boot riding a freakin cb125. school kids laughing at me as i went past, and to top it off, it has ducati 999s stickers on it!!!!!! :thud:
Hey..... dont hassel the CB125 my 2nd bike was one of them about 307 years ago it got me all the way to Lake Canery and back, and as for the shop.... the old bastard wouldent give ya the smell of his turd.

fritter
7th January 2005, 17:39
YAMAHA DIRECTED ME TO A BIKE SHOP FOR A TEST RIDE ON AN R1, I HAD A BUM BAG FULL OF MONEY , THE DEMO BIKE WAS THERE AND I SAID "HI I WOULD LIKE TO TEST RIDE THE R1 PLEASE"THE GUY LOOKED ME UP AND DOWN AND WALKED OFF LAUGHING, I WENT TO ANOTHER SHOP THEY SAID THEY CAN ARRANGE A TEST RIDE BUT ALL BIKES HAVE TO BE MODIFIED B4 LEAVING THE SHOP AS THERE WAS A CLUTCH BASKET DRIVE FAULT. OK HELLO KAWASAKI

Were you yelling at him?

Wild Bill
23rd July 2008, 17:01
Casbolts are crap mate,
yeah I can I use a shop in Melbourne for honda and one in Brisbane for Moto Guzzi.
I find that its a damn site easier to ring them and the bits are on my door step by the end of the week rather than go into town just to find that there is no stock in store or NZ and be told that its ex Japan.

Hampton Honda in hornby Christchurch! Honda can be proud of this dealer! top service, top people, and you can ride the bike before you buy, and they want to help 10 out of 10.

scumdog
23rd July 2008, 17:04
Two similar posts in about 10 minutes - ya sure ya haven't got Alzhiemers WB??

dangerous
23rd July 2008, 17:11
Hampton Honda in hornby Christchurch! Honda can be proud of this dealer! top service, top people, and you can ride the bike before you buy, and they want to help 10 out of 10.

I know, been using them since the 80's... however the post you quoted would be about 5yrs old, they sold cages back then so no good to me for Honda parts.

Jerry74
10th August 2008, 21:39
Casbolts in ChCh sucks !!!!!!

Go there and get ignored :angry2: :angry2: :angry2::bash:

Big Dave
11th August 2008, 11:05
This gets my award for the sucky-est thread ever.

Face it - most people ignore nerds - it's not just bike shops. :-P

Katman
11th August 2008, 17:47
This gets my award for the sucky-est thread ever.

Face it - most people ignore nerds - it's not just bike shops. :-P

I wonder how the balance of story would go if bike shops started listing all the motorcyclists that had fucked them around over the years.

Big Dave
11th August 2008, 17:55
What do you mean they only offered you $16K as trade-in on a bandit?

Katman
11th August 2008, 17:57
What do you mean they only offered you $16K as trade-in on a bandit?

Sure, I'll get that throttle cable in for you sir. Pick it up (and pay for it) any year you like.

Maioha
11th August 2008, 18:35

I had my new tyres fitted and chain/sprockets replaced at Motomart and the service was very friendly and they were around 40% cheaper than everywhere else. I rolled my bike in with out a booking on a friday, they told me it was going to be ready on monday, about 3 hours later they called me to say that it was ready. Robert is da man.

you fullas must have had a bad day.

325rocket
11th August 2008, 19:03
I had my new tyres fitted and chain/sprockets replaced at Motomart and the service was very friendly and they were around 40% cheaper than everywhere else. I rolled my bike in with out a booking on a friday, they told me it was going to be ready on monday, about 3 hours later they called me to say that it was ready. Robert is da man.

you fullas must have had a bad day.

that was posted in 2004, times have changed

Pedrostt500
11th August 2008, 20:34
Ive rearly had bad service from any bike shop, I find the bigger the shop the less interest you get from the sales people, and generaly if the sales guy is under 25yrs they are often worth ignoring, as Ive found they will try to fit you up with what they would like to have, rather than sell me what I want.
If I do get bad service at any type of shop I will avoid going back to them unless it is absolutly nessesary.
If i get poor workmanship from a shop, first I try to reasonably work out what can be done about it. if I get a slagging off and my problem ignored, and general poor help, get a group of say a dozen friends together to arive at the shop in small groupes, over a short period of time and make happy buying noises, arive about 20 mins after your mates and in a very loud voice with out swering start to demand that the poor workmanship be put right, after about 2 mins is the que for your mates to say to whoever they are dealing with " nah sorry I think I will go else where", mean while continue your rant but watch the look on the sales peoples faces as the shop empties, and they watch their commissions walk out the door, this is best done if the owner is in.
Some time natural justic needs a little nudge.

TSS in Alice Town Lower Hutt are good guys to deal with.

Sparky Bills
11th August 2008, 20:55
GEEZ! I cant believe this thread was dug up...!

So what if the salesman is under 25?
I have heaps of return customers...
But find that most older guys (not women, GUYS) talk down to me as they dont think I know anything.
Get it all the time actually. They walk right past me with a grunt. Im like sweet as, Im busy with return customer orders anyway...
Lots of the 30-40+ people go straight to the older person standing behind me.

All I can say is, just consider your own attitude when talking to someone in any shop not just bike shops.
I have many people I deal with. And must say it to be an absolute pleasure to deal with most.

Tank
12th August 2008, 10:07
All I can say is, just consider your own attitude when talking to someone in any shop not just bike shops.
I have many people I deal with. And must say it to be an absolute pleasure to deal with most.

Its not to say that some of the above post arnt 'balanced reviews of poor service' because they probably are (from at the time).

But - things change, staff change, and I believe that generally people in shops DO want to do a good job.

Sometimes you just don't click with the sales guy / gal - but it is a two way street - and often Ive seen people being short to shop floor staff and they probably wondered why they didn't get the worlds best service.

This thread is subjective and unbalanced - and really should be binned to the realms of PD (not because its drivel) but because there are some unflattering reviews of shops that a lot of us have had awesome service at - and its a disservice to them and kiwibiker if there name gets served up with unflattering reviews (from years ago) when people are googling them etc. (PD stops that BTW)

Dakara
12th August 2008, 10:29
Well, sometimes shit happens and people should be advised to watch out, nit-picking aside.

The very first Bike I bought, a '94 ZZR250 had the front wheel fairing virtually fall off onto the wheel on the ride home, 5 minutes from the shop. I went back and said :Oi: so they glued it back on and said "here ya go".

When I confronted them about the huge hole burnt through it from rubbing the tyre they're response was "Yes yes, we'll fix it, but just enjoy your bike for a few days first, you don't want to wait any longer to ride it do you?"

Frustrated I took the bike home, (admittedly it was almost closing time), and went back 3 days later. No one there knew anything about it, nor did they want to. Tried a few calls after that, but nothing. Was never fixed, and the shop didn't want to know me.

That's why I'll never buy from "Said Shop" again. It was 4 years ago so I'm not gonna bad mouth their name now. But with the amount of shops in Auckland we have to choose from, I would of thought they'd be more competitive service wise.

Fatjim
12th August 2008, 11:13
Service at several bike shops has picked. I'd hazard a guess a lot of it may be to do with a lack of work.

slopster
12th August 2008, 12:48
Palmerston north is good for crap bike shops.
AFC - believe it or not when I was a newbie I got them to do the fork seals on my zxr 250 and they forgot to refill the forks with oil afterward. I rode for the next 1000km thinking that although my bike was bouncing all over the road, It was better then it had been and I just had to get used to the new feel!
PTMC - Brought same zxr 250 in for a warrant and they failed it saying the rear disc was too worn. But they kindly offered to sell me a 2nd hand one they had lieing around. Later on after I had changed them round I measured the old one with my verniers and it was well withen the manufacturers 3.5mm limit.

Griffin
12th August 2008, 13:46
Gotta say I was surprised at Motomarts name leading the charge on this thread... then I read the date.

Things have definitely changed there if the service was crap because as my sig says - Awesome Service from the team down there. I went in several times to look at gear, each time the guys/gals there spent time with me, answering questions, ordering stuff for me to try and generally being patient and interested. I could have just been a tyre kicker for all they knew.

I ended up buying a couple of grands worth of kit and I put it all down to the Service I got... I could easily have gone elsewhere had I not been impressed.

So big ups to Motomart... their name definitely doesnt deserve to top this threads list (anymore)

Tardrider
7th November 2008, 01:05
motomart blows goats

Took my Africa 750 (cuz I'm thinking they're the only Honda shop in Welly) into them to get serviced. $1600 for the warrant, oil change, new tyres, electrical probs, tighten bearings in the headset, new brake pads. Fair enough bit more expensive than I had hoped but to get the old girl going, all good.

Got there to pick up the bike, I talked to a mechanic out the back and he said he would get someone to help us (and a little biker waits). Then some chick roles up on a late model Duke cuz they hadn't tuned it properly and she complained that it kept stalling. So the mechanic see's to her (more waiting). I talk to him again and he says I should have gone inside to the counter (silly me).

Meanwhile I'm checking out my bike and the fairing on the right side is cracked where they had wound up the screw without aligning it up properly. I tell the sales guy inside and said I would need to talk to some dude who wasn't there on a saturday (didn't bother to come and look).

I pay the money and take the bike and notice the front brakes feel funny. I guess they didn't bleed the lines properly. Then when I get home I notice that it wasn't just badly bleed brakes the bike must have been dropped as the front brake lever was bent forward.

The final parting gift from motomart was all the bolts holding the top clamp on the forks where completly loose. I should take my bike back to get them to fix the damage but really these guys are so incompetent, what would they do next, cut the brake lines, hacksaw my spokes???

I feel lucky to have got out of the motamart experience alive with perhaps a warning to other Bikers out there.

de_wood_elf
7th November 2008, 01:33
motomart blows goats

Took my Africa 750 (cuz I'm thinking they're the only Honda shop in Welly) into them to get serviced. $1600 for the warrant, oil change, new tyres, electrical probs, tighten bearings in the headset, new brake pads. Fair enough bit more expensive than I had hoped but to get the old girl going, all good.

Got there to pick up the bike, I talked to a mechanic out the back and he said he would get someone to help us (and a little biker waits). Then some chick roles up on a late model Duke cuz they hadn't tuned it properly and she complained that it kept stalling. So the mechanic see's to her (more waiting). I talk to him again and he says I should have gone inside to the counter (silly me).

Meanwhile I'm checking out my bike and the fairing on the right side is cracked where they had wound up the screw without aligning it up properly. I tell the sales guy inside and said I would need to talk to some dude who wasn't there on a saturday (didn't bother to come and look).

I pay the money and take the bike and notice the front brakes feel funny. I guess they didn't bleed the lines properly. Then when I get home I notice that it wasn't just badly bleed brakes the bike must have been dropped as the front brake lever was bent forward.

The final parting gift from motomart was all the bolts holding the top clamp on the forks where completly loose. I should take my bike back to get them to fix the damage but really these guys are so incompetent, what would they do next, cut the brake lines, hacksaw my spokes???

I feel lucky to have got out of the motamart experience alive with perhaps a warning to other Bikers out there.

Taken straight from the Ministry of Consumer Affairs website

Rights and remedies

If you receive a service that fails to meet one of these guarantees for services you have the following rights:
Right to repair

You can ask the person who did the job to fix it at no cost to you.

If they refuse or take more than a reasonable time to fix it you can:

* get someone else to fix it and claim the cost from the supplier, or
* cancel the contract for service and refuse to pay for the work done. If you have already paid the service provider you may be able to get some or all of your money back. The amount you can ask for will depend on whether some of the service provided was satisfactory.

Right to cancel for serious problems

You can cancel the contract for the service and refuse to pay for the work done or pay less than the agreed price. If you have already paid you may be able to get some or all of your money back.

Have the price reduced to make up for the drop in value of the service - this may mean asking for some of your money back if you have already paid.
Consequential loss

If the work has caused damage to other property, you can claim compensation for that damage (this is called consequential loss).

Maybe get them to fix it for you or try and arrange for someone else to do it and they take the bill?

Brian d marge
7th November 2008, 02:41
1600 for a wof ,tyres and an electrical. damn those morals of mine ...why cant they let me be rich

Stephen

Fatt Max
7th November 2008, 06:16
I've dealt with Red Baron and most recently Colemans Suzuki myself, found both of them to be great to deal with. Nice guys and really helpful.

There was a scooter place opposite Red Baron on Great North Road who were a bunch of wankers. If you didnt live in Ponsonby and work in advertising, they didnt want to deal with you, god forbid you were straight as well

Big Dave
7th November 2008, 07:51
This remains the crapest thread ever on KB.

vifferman
7th November 2008, 08:06
Naw.
We've had much, much more crapulent threads than this one.
Asides, whinging is a popular Koywoy occupation. It passes the time till the Next Big Thing.

Skyryder
7th November 2008, 08:56
Naw.
We've had much, much more crapulent threads than this one.
Asides, whinging is a popular Koywoy occupation.

I blame the Poms. :beer:

Skyryder

vifferman
7th November 2008, 08:59
I blame the Poms.
No, no no!
You need to put a bit more nasal into that, and pout a bit more when you're saying it.

Hitcher
7th November 2008, 09:02

I agree. I started it when I was younger, more innocent and naive in terms of the realities of the marketing of motorcycles, parts and accessories and the servicing of said. Back then I thought that some shops could perhaps be encouraged to get their fingers out if people complained about them constructively, rather than muttering and grumbling as they looked for a better service experience elsewhere. How dumb was that?

With some exceptions, I have done repeat business with shops I've moaned about -- you're forced to really.

vifferman
7th November 2008, 09:13
Hitcher! How the hell are you? :wavey:
How's the SpinDoctoring going? Lost any patients lately?

Keep up the good work. :niceone:

Big Dave
7th November 2008, 09:28
Best intentions and all that - I just felt sorry for the schmucks who go and put in an honest days work in any of the bike shops that have been 'anonymously' bagged - or given their side of the story.

vifferman
7th November 2008, 09:48
There's a consistent theme here though - bike shops as a species are generally not doing a good job with making their customers feel valued. In fact, they're not doing a particularly good job compared to other retailers, and don't seem to care.
Maybe it's because they're usually owned and crewed by bikers (or former bikers). We're a bad lot, y'know.

Big Dave
7th November 2008, 10:06
There's a consistent theme here though - bike shops as a species are generally not doing a good job with making their customers feel valued. In fact, they're not doing a particularly good job compared to other retailers, and don't seem to care.
Maybe it's because they're usually owned and crewed by bikers (or former bikers). We're a bad lot, y'know.

Not my experience.

And there are many times the amount of satisfied customers who don't bleat online - for each of them.

Cajun
7th November 2008, 10:11
Like any business, there are people that like/dislike the place, for many different reason, just the people who dislike are more vocal.

I don't like some bike shops, but friends love same bike shop. where ones i like others do not.

DarkLord
7th November 2008, 10:17
I was in both Cycletreads and Spectrum Motorcycles this morning to pick up a set of brake pads for my Hyobag, and both shops were great. Cycletreads didn't have the pads but said if I could get them they would install them for me.

I picked the pads up at Spectrum (who very nicely gave me a discount) and got them installed at Cycletreads. Both shops were great and it's nice to have front brakes that stop me without making a grinding racket anymore.

vifferman
7th November 2008, 10:20
Not my experience.
Yeah, but everyone knows and respects The Big Dave, and wants to be his mate, so they can be kewl too! Try imagining being less kewl'n'confident, and the sort of service you might get...

And there are many times the amount of satisfied customers who don't bleat online - for each of them.
True dat. :yes:
People expect good service, so don't mention getting it, unless it's way better'n expected.

To be honest, in 35-ish years of motorbicycling, I've had a only a very few instances of notably crap dealings with bike shops, and only two (2!) I can recall. One incident gave me sufficient misgivings that I haven't been back (but might go again), and only one instance that made me decide to never, ever return, no matter what. The positive stuff far outweighs that, and gnerally it's because of a few individuals that made me feel like a valued client or went above and beyond expectations to help me out.

vifferman
7th November 2008, 10:21
I picked the pads up at Spectrum (who very nicely gave me a discount) and got them installed at Cycletreads.
How come you bought them at Spectrum, but didn't have them installed there?

Ixion
7th November 2008, 10:24
I don't patronise bike shops that much, but I must say, in over 50 years of hanging round them, I don't think I've ever had actually *bad* service. Mediocre, yes. Slack, or non-existent (I am the original invisible man), often. But bad, to the point that I would loudly complain, I can't recall an instance.

And although I am, as everyone knows, a sweet gentle old man, I have had treatment in other shops bad enough to make me complain - sweetly, gently but VERY LOUDLY. So I do not think it is just that I am undemanding

DarkLord
7th November 2008, 10:25
How come you bought them at Spectrum, but didn't have them installed there?

They were down a mechanic apparently and just couldn't fit it in.

I wasn't fussed though, they were really helpful and I was just grateful they had the pads!

Big Dave
7th November 2008, 10:29
Yeah, but everyone knows and respects The Big Dave, and wants to be his mate, so they can be kewl too! Try imagining being less kewl'n'confident, and the sort of service you might get...

True dat. :yes:
People expect good service, so don't mention getting it, unless it's way better'n expected.

If he's so cool how come he's yappin' in a thread he derided huh.

Better managing customer expectations is valid.

We are on beautiful islands in a vast ocean with a national population the size of a state capital elsewhere.

It comes at a cost logistically.

Fatt Max
7th November 2008, 13:19
I blame the Poms. :beer:

Skyryder

Why, whats the mater with the Poms?

Oh yeah, we are a bunch of whinging gits....and loving it..!!

Forest
7th November 2008, 14:47

Given that your living depends on advertising dollars from bike shops, you'll forgive me if I suspect a hint of bias.

This thread is about bike shop horror stories. So it isn't surprising when people bag shops for treating them horribly.

There's a shop in Auckland that does work for me. They do it really well, at a good price, and encourage me to source my own parts from overseas. Only I won't mention them here as this is a thread about "WORST bike shops".

Big Dave
7th November 2008, 15:42
Given that your living depends on advertising dollars from bike shops, you'll forgive me if I suspect a hint of bias.

I'm comfortable with the term 'industry spokesperson' if the message is HTFU and support your local bike shop.

:spanking:

Big Dog
7th November 2008, 16:53
I agree in principle... however there are a few shops in Auckland that will never see my cash again for anything that can be sourced elsewhere, even if it costs more.

To make my list they had to be rude to the point of beligerance or try to take advantange.

Yes I know they are in business to make a profit but they don't have to make it all off of me.

Colemans and Haldanes will not be seeing my custom unless they are holding something I need ransom.

One thought their newspaper was more important than a buyer wanting a demo while carrying more than 50% in cash.
The other was more uninterested.

There are other reasons as well but that was the beginning of a hatred of those shops that has since been born out with other attempted dealings.

Too right sometimes as consumers we need to HTFU, but sometimes as businesses they have to accept
1 - that word of mouth is the most potent form of advertising on the planet
2 - the customer in the store is the more valuable than 500 who saw their add in Kiwi Rider because that person has already made the effort to come in.
Adequate customer service is an obligation in these tough times.
Good customer service will be the difference between a franchise going under and making a killing.

Big Dog
7th November 2008, 16:56
One should also note:
There is a difference between discounting and good customer service.
I hate shops that try to substitute good customer service with a discount.
IF your aim is to sell cheaper with no customer service don't inflate your price just to discount it. Costs less in stickers that way too.

MarkH
7th November 2008, 19:57
I'm comfortable with the term 'industry spokesperson' if the message is HTFU and support your local bike shop.

:spanking:

I have personally spent over $2K in gear at one local bike shop which I have praised in another thread. It doesn't mean I am not interested in what bad experiences others have had with various bike shops. Reading about a bad experience doesn't mean that I want to terminate my dealings with the same shop if my own experience has been nothing but positive.

This is simply a thread where people are free to have a winge and relay their experiences, I support the rights of all here to do so - even if some disagree.

Big Dave
7th November 2008, 20:07
This is simply a thread where people are free to have a winge

Which takes me back to my original point.

ynot slow
7th November 2008, 20:30
For every 10 people complaining you will get 10 saying how great the place was.Each to their own,I tend to make up my own mind about service good or bad.I bought most of my gear from a shop which folks have bagged,first time experiance with them was great,have since gone back a few times and get looked at,annoying thing was each time I/we went in it was to buy pants,gloves etc,and a bloody bike maybe.After looking around the showroom,not one person came over to say g'day.

I spent 20yrs working in furnishing retail and since day one the two things drummed into me was,never ask can I help you?and acknowledge the customer,even a smile as they pass you if you are with another person,or on the phone.

GrayWolf
7th November 2008, 20:46
Motomart:
Customer service was simply SHIT.
When in the old premises (about 1yr ago) they had some BMW 1100rs's in from Japan, 10k price bracket. I went in with a 'girlfriend' to look for an open class sport tourer. I'd been riding V twins (and one GS100) for over twenty years and the Bee eM seemed the logical choice. We were told they had not been complied yet so they couldnt be test ridden. (Obviously the pillion comfort was/is as important for long distances). Told come back next week (Saturday) they (BM's) are being complied Wednesday. Next Saturday, we rock up, oh sorry we've been too busy to do them. Ok fair enough. They were busy, come back next week they'll be done. Week 3 you guessed it,,,,,,, not farking complied. Now here I have to admit one of the sales staff could see my frustration and promised that he would personaly make sure the BM I was interested in was ready for the road next Saturday. Wednesday afternoon, he called my cell ph' and said the bike's done, and we arranged for 11am(ish) the following Saturday morning. Now this means a month of waiting and two people making/organising arrangements to go to the shop for a test ride. 11am we duly turn up...... no BMW! Sold? no, crashed? No.......... wait for it, Friday afternoon they hired the farking thing out for the weekend. Well obviously, Motomart were more interested in a few hundred? dollars hirage than the profit of actualy selling the bloody thing. They knew it was to be a cash sale! When I said, and I mean VERY quietly and politely , "then I guess I wont be buying a bike here then", the reply........ "thats your choice mate!"
nuff said! They dont get my custom in future.

nallac
7th November 2008, 20:52
shit Graywolf thats a bit of a raw deal, i would've given up
after the second week.

Gman71
7th November 2008, 21:29
Cyclespot Takapuna

dropped $15k cash into their bank account 3 days before delivery. picked up bike.
6 weeks later turn up for a booked in service. no sign of salesman to say hello. ok maybe he's busy.
4 weeks later wander in looking for hard luggage (after sending salesman e-mail enquiring about it) Looks straight at me, doesn't even recognise me or acknowledge me.

Now I sold cars for a couple of years, and a customer was something you remembered and worked hard to service after the sale.

Maybe motorbikes are just too easy....

These guys must have it too good.

Gubb
8th November 2008, 07:25
Cyclespot Takapuna

dropped $15k cash into their bank account 3 days before delivery. picked up bike.
6 weeks later turn up for a booked in service. no sign of salesman to say hello. ok maybe he's busy.
4 weeks later wander in looking for hard luggage (after sending salesman e-mail enquiring about it) Looks straight at me, doesn't even recognise me or acknowledge me.

Now I sold cars for a couple of years, and a customer was something you remembered and worked hard to service after the sale.

I think this is a perfect example of what Big Dave is talking about.

Who can blame the guy for not remembering a face 10 weeks later?

sweetp
10th November 2008, 20:41
my beef is with motormail's online ordering system. I ordered a kids motor x armour which was showing in stock. Turns out that not only was it not in stock but they couldn't get any more. They made a suggestion on a different armour (cheaper so would refund the diff - as i had to pay by credit card to place the order). Said ok but needed to wait till it came in. Two weeks later - nothing so emailed them. No response. Two weeks after that called them as there was something else on their site that was showing as in stock but i thought i had better check - with good reason. Because even though it may say "in stock" it doesn't mean that it is.

Anyway, got the armour a month later, but as yet no sign of the refund.

Richi
10th November 2008, 21:14
Norjos kawasaki?

My exs dad and his misses went to look at a bike...13k worth of bike. The Salesman there was "helping" them, so they asked a couple of questions about it (as you do..) And he told them to look on the internet!!! WHAT THE FUCK.. hmmm the 13k walked straight out the door...

Also my bike goes in for "service, hard to start and overheating" I get it back 5 weeks later (Recieved 1 phone call over the duration, but was for a part that arrived for me to pick up, til i told them THEY have my bike) I had to ring them every time to find out whats happening. So I get it back 5 weeks later and it STILL overheated on me, and now has "magically" developed an oil leak? OK mistakes can be made but i rang and tell and he tries to say it isnt his fault by any means.... Fuckin wanker.

My bike is now at a dif shop so hope it al goes better...

Oscar
11th November 2008, 09:04
AMPs - They laughingly refer to their "Service Department".
Whomever answers the phone there must be a refugee from some Soviet Block Security Service.

"When do you think my parts will be here...?"
"When they get here."
"And that will be...?"
"When the boat docks..."

Boyd Motorcycles. Good people, great service, good prices.

vifferman
11th November 2008, 09:10
Cyclespot Takapuna

In my experience, that's typical of them. In fact, mine was worse: they started being unfriendly and unhelpful once I'd signed up to buy the bike.

I think this is a perfect example of what Big Dave is talking about.

Who can blame the guy for not remembering a face 10 weeks later?
That's fair enough - but they could at least make an effort to treat every customer (even a new one) like they give a damn. In Cyclespot's case, it's almost like, "We've got your money. WTF are you doing back here?!?"