PDA

View Full Version : Careless cager meets scooter rider??

yungatart
20th February 2006, 14:33
Today on my way to my course in my cage, I had the misfortune to meet a scooter rider! I was driving along minding my own business, when I had occasion to veer left to avoid a car that had stopped to turn right. Next thing, there is frantic tooting on my left on the INSIDE of me. Despite regularly checking my mirrors- all three of them- I had not noticed the scooter rider riding on my left rear pillar, as he was in my blind spot. I pulled over and gave him such a talking to about where he should position himself on the road etc. Also explained that I was a rider so knew a little of what I was talking about.He confessed he didn't really know what he was doing. He was quite apologetic for having given me such a fright etc and seemed to take on board my advice.
However, had I bowled him- beleive me it was close- I would have been talked about as just another arrogant, ignorant cage driver who failed to notice the poor little scooter rider.
Guys- plesae be awre of your responsibilities as a road user and FFS ride wher you can be seen. it may very well save your life!

Grahameeboy
20th February 2006, 14:42
Geeze.......I will always be nice to you........must admit those scooter rides tend to nip in and out making them hard to see......

Marmoot
20th February 2006, 14:46
Good on ya Yungatart.
Damn those bloody cage drivers.

Now.....where's my glasses...........I can't read these posts without my glasses.......

Grahameeboy
20th February 2006, 14:47
Good on ya Yungatart.
Damn those bloody cage drivers.

Now.....where's my glasses...........I can't read these posts without my glasses.......

Hey I drive a Cage too you rascal.....

MSTRS
20th February 2006, 14:48
Most of us do.....it is scooter-riding that seems to be the problem??

Marmoot
20th February 2006, 14:52
Hey I drive a Cage too you rascal.....

don't complain. at the moment I am actually bikeless. See who's worst?
:kick:

Grahameeboy
20th February 2006, 15:00
don't complain. at the moment I am actually bikeless. See who's worst?
:kick:

Still me.................:moon:

zooter
21st February 2006, 20:07
Hells bells, where the hell are you meant to ride? If you stay clear of blind spots you are up the arse of the vehicle in front in your lane or getting pushed from behind. Nobody follows at 2sec and the bike/scoot's manouverability is greatly overestimated by cagers.
If you happen to be in someones blindspot be very aware and be ready to toot and evade.

MSTRS
22nd February 2006, 08:59
Positions as described to me. Ride this spot, toot, evade, whatever - if this is what scooter riders advise then none of them will live long.

TwoSeven
22nd February 2006, 09:25
Today on my way to my course in my cage, I had the misfortune to meet a scooter rider! I was driving along minding my own business, when I had occasion to veer left to avoid a car that had stopped to turn right.

At this point I might suggest that would it not have been better to slow and wait for your obstruction to clear, rather than fling your vehicle into another lane with no warning to any other road user.

NC
22nd February 2006, 09:29
I picked a 18 year old up off the road the other week on my way to work, crashed his bike going around a roundabout in the wet. Gave him a lecture about not riding with any gear on etc. Just hurt his ego and a skinned knee. :scooter:

Felt good to help him though :D

Most of the riders have no idea what they are doing when the start out, just like everyone else. So I'm sure any bit of guidance helps the squids.

yungatart
22nd February 2006, 10:09
At this point I might suggest that would it not have been better to slow and wait for your obstruction to clear, rather than fling your vehicle into another lane with no warning to any other road user.
Other lane??? A single two-way residential arterial road, so the lane is quite wide, but there is only one lane each way. I veered into where cars would be parked at the curb. At this point, might I suggest that your high and mighty tone is not appreciated.

TwoSeven
22nd February 2006, 16:39
My apologies - no offence intended.