PDA

View Full Version : First scooter advice wanted

justwannacruz
20th February 2006, 15:48
Gidday all, I am looking at buying my first scooter. I am interested in a vespa or lambretta, preferrably older than newer, ie 1960's. Having looked around the internet I came accross these belladonna rv150's which are sold by retroscooters. What are they like? Are they a good scooter or are they something that if your brought one and a fellow scooter rider saw you on it they would smile and wave at you then struggle to stay on the road as they laugh at you behind your back. Any other advise would be appreciated, as I said it is my first scotter and it is purely going to be used for me to ride to the cafe for a coffee or down to the beach at Mt Mauganui. As i said, ' justwannacruz'. thanks

Motu
20th February 2006, 16:11
I have no problems with scooters,I'd have one myself if I had the room and could afford the rego.But 60s scooter technology is not great,and they are an older 2 stroke design - it would take a lot of fettling to get one to opperate like new,and they weren't that hot back then.Are the newer ones too uncool?

MidnightMike
20th February 2006, 16:13
I have no problems with scooters,I'd have one myself if I had the room and could afford the rego.But 60s scooter technology is not great,and they are an older 2 stroke design - it would take a lot of fettling to get one to opperate like new,and they weren't that hot back then.Are the newer ones too uncool?

They look kinda ghey :slap:
All i can add is sj fiddies are the shizniz :2thumbsup

flash
20th February 2006, 17:34
all i can say is buy a bike.....
ive noticed everyone on scooters either wear no gear (exept helmet) or are a menace on the road. its a death trap ready to happen too if you go on fast roads...

bobsmith
20th February 2006, 22:21
all i can say is buy a bike.....
ive noticed everyone on scooters either wear no gear (exept helmet) or are a menace on the road. its a death trap ready to happen too if you go on fast roads...

I suppose it's usually true, though I have seen many scooter riders with full gear and when I get to uni everyday on my 125cc scooter, I'm usually wearing more gear than anyone else on a bike (usually a 250cc, 750cc and 500cc there) I think it's fine if you want to get a scooter. Just make sure you remember that the road is just as hard and rough when you're on a scooter and cagers act even more like !@&%^ bastards around you.

MisterD
21st February 2006, 06:33
Welcome to KB, and (hopefully) to scootering. The first thing to say is that however fantastic they are, and they are f-ing fantastic, Lambrettas are not an ideal first scooter. They are expensive to buy, and run since by and large parts have to come from US or UK.

If you want that retro style, then the best option is either a Vespa PX or indeed the Belladonna, a PX clone which is made in India by LML who used to make Vespas under licence. The Vespa is more expensive, will probably hold it
value better and being a 200 has a bit more torque, if you're looking at a used one go for the disc-brake model.

The Belladonna is a 150 but has reed-valve induction (the actual parts are being sold as a tuning option for 150 PXs) and will get you to 95kph 2-up without too many problems. Other scooterists will not be laughing at you on these bikes, even the real old-schoolers rate them as "proper" scooters because they're two stroke and geared.

I'd definitely test ride a new auto as well, just so you understand the limitations of a 50's designed scooter (hanging an engine to one side of the rear wheel is not a handling plus). Vespa ETs LXs and GTs are sorted daily riders ( do my commute on an ET) but are far more likely to get sniffy reactions from some scooterists kinda like the sportsbike v cruiser thing.

If you want some scooter focussed opinion away from the KB "scooters are gay" crowd and the safety gear nazis Magnetos (http://www.magnetos.org) are Auckland-based but have members all over including the BOP.

Flatcap
21st February 2006, 12:19
Get the Belladonna - It will have you grinning like an idiot in no time. Get a sito plus exhaust for the correct 2-stroke sound track

As for all those other comments about scooter riders not wearing full safety gear, if you are on a crap plastic fantastic jap moped that struggles to 40kph then it's hardly necessary to wear leathers.

The Bella will be good for 115 so you will want decent kit

Gandhi
21st February 2006, 12:59
Why don't you check out the VMOTO Milan.

I owned a Lambretta back in the UK and I know that the Milan isn't quite in the same league, but they're perfect for running around in and have (IMO) more than a modicum of retro style. Plus they're cheap, good quality and brand new...

I think they even have a website www.vmoto.co.nz (?).

MisterD
21st February 2006, 13:14
Why don't you check out the VMOTO Milan.

I'm going to be nice about this, but El Cheapo Chinese scoots are for people who buy soley with their heads without reference to their hearts. Which for me, means not real scooterists.

If you got as far as thinking you might like a Lambretta, then for some non-specific deity's sake don't buy a plastic 50cc 4-stroke auto chinese thing. The Belladonna is the way to go, looks good, will handle motorway work if needs be and will go for ever.

If scooters really hook you, well there's a Bella in Alkd that'll do 140kph but I think it's only really the engine casings that are standard in that....

Flatcap
21st February 2006, 13:48
I agree -don't go for the plastic - get a metal bodied scoot.

You will get bitten by the bug and wont be able to stop buying go faster bits

justwannacruz
21st February 2006, 18:57
Thanks all, your input has been appreciated. Mister D and Fairlie I like what you are saying and I am now closer to getting the Belladonna. Ganhdi, sorry buddy but the vmoto just ain't my sytle and to be honest I don't think it has much style either.:yawn:

I suppose a classic will hold it's price and appreciate a bit more?

Thanks again.

MisterD
22nd February 2006, 06:30
I suppose a classic will hold it's price and appreciate a bit more?

That was certainly my hope when I shelled out for my Lambretta, although I very much doubt if I'd ever get back what I've spent in restoring it.

I've heard anecdotally that people have been buying PX200s (no longer being built thanks to European emissions regs) and putting them straight into storage, but WTF is the use of a scooter you don't ride?:weird:

The Wop
22nd February 2006, 07:10
Hi there. I ride a PX200 daily and cannot get enough of it! The Bella is very similar so I concur with MisterD and Fairlie's advice. My partner rides an LX (auto) that I rode for many months and was good for getting used to scootering. However, being a 50 it soon lost it's charm! The 200 is great, and yes, Fairlie, I am eyeing up my first "go-faster" bits for it!

At all costs, avoid the Asian plastics. Further advice would be that for the first-time scooterist, the 60's idea is romantic and idealistic, but not practical. Unless you have the mechanical nous and a fair bank balance, they are not a smart buy! I like the fact that my scooter starts every day, and gets me to work in style!

Flatcap
22nd February 2006, 07:32
I also have a vespa et twist and go - it is great when the weather is bad and you can't be arsed changing gear on the commute in. Handles better than the bella so better to throw around. Overall the Bella is more fun to ride though - you are more involved in riding it

The other thing with the PX/Bella is that along with go faster bits there is the WORLD of accessories in terms of chrome, mirrors, racks blah blah to customise your scoot...

MisterD
22nd February 2006, 07:33
At all costs, avoid the Asian plastics.

Not only, but also: Avoid Asian restored Vespas and Lambrettas, even if the work has been carried out to a decent standard and it's not shiny paint over bog over rust with beer-can gaskets etc etc, the bike will have been thrashed to buggery carrying 4 people and a dozen chooks for most of it's high mileage life....