PDA

View Full Version : Frosty race report -BOTS 19.2.06

FROSTY
20th February 2006, 20:34
If I could take ya round the track looking through my eyes for a single novice lap.
Ya peel out from the dummy grid and turn left onto the actual track.
gassing it hard down the back straight you hit a bump you dont expect.The bars give a bit of a shake. Straight away you're into a right hander then braking hard into a heavily cambered bumpy as heck hairpin turn right.
Back on the gas on the back straight and OMG the sense of speed is just unimagineable-with spectators people flashing by literally inches away from you and you're doing over 200km/h. I've NEVER had such a sense of speed in my life.The straight seems to narrow to nothing as you hit the kink still going full noise.
Aproaching the right hander at the end of the straight you brake hard and toss the bike over on its side.Then the track narrows from racetrack wide down to barely 2 driveways wide -and it goes uphill then downhill steeply and sweeps around to the right. As ya hit the bottom theres a big bump
A Very short straight section and you have to brake hard for a tight left then setup for a right back onto the back straight.
Ya get hard on the gas and again the speed is awsome.
Ya think all is under control -Then ya hit that little bump again. Little bump--yea right -The whole bike gets airborn but the front comes down first -the back slams down.--Now that right hander is coming up way to fast so you slam the bike over to the right. Now you are hard on the brakes to slow for the hairpin again. -OMG and that was only the first lap.

Luckily I got a novice practice before my two F3 practices -so I had some idea of how to tackle the track.
I realised early on I wasn't gonna master this track in the time given --It takes me awhile to get to pace.
First race was a disaster--I had no idea where the start flag was -so I missed the start completely--watching KK fly past as I tried to get started.
I got into a race long dice with a guy on a motard. Made really "interesting" by a decent back end slide over the hill. I finished the race 1 place higher than I started and did 56 second laps (4 seconds slower than KK)
I did my head in about the exit to the esses- -it was ripped up and slippery as heck -I was stupid enough to go for a look at it.watching shagga being helo'd away from the postie crash reminded me I wanted to go home (get well soon dude) Race 2 I got a much better start but still got swamped into turn 1
I knew I had craig (mr slim) right behind me so I rode as hard as i could comfortably.in lap 5 I stuffed up the exit to the hairpin and ran wide--it was the opening craig needed and he snuck on by.
Bloody good to meet so many KBers -Thanks a million for the support.
Special thanks to my pit crew Doogal and madduck.
What a fantastic day. ROLL ON BOTS 2007

Kwaka-Kid
20th February 2006, 21:51
Wicked stuff Frosty! Like i said man, im sure i did 56's last year? and got away with a 13th or something, the feilds are definatley getting larger and harder out there and i often feel it really doesnt give the credit deserved after how hard and fast ya gotta go not to mention doing so whilst holding ringpiece @ full tension to stop underwear soilage.

babyB
20th February 2006, 22:21
hay frosty & KK,
dam that sounds like hard riding.
glad ya had a cool day out there
good on both of ya:wari: ya doing well

Sparky Bills
21st February 2006, 12:11
Sorry dude, Only got a couple pics of you.

Saw ya out there, stopped by your pit a couple times to say hi, But you were out walking around the place.

DemonWolf
21st February 2006, 12:18
Great writeup Frosty.. keep 'em coming

Grahameeboy
21st February 2006, 12:22
Well done Frosty and for letting some of us dump our stuff in your Van...... cool stuff.....owe you a drink in Devonport

MSTRS
21st February 2006, 13:03
Translation for the reading-challenged......
Frosty says "Was I scared?? NO!! I was fucking terrified!!! But gosh it was fun (now that I'm back at work in the comfy chair)"

sugilite
21st February 2006, 13:38
Awesome race report Frosty, a little to descriptive for my likening!
I did a deal with the wife when I started racing, no street circuits.
I managed to slip in a Wanganui 2003 on my motard, cuz she thinks they are cute toys lol
Now after reading your lap description of Paeroa, I'm busting to race the 9 there next year, thanks for nothing Frosty lol
Hmmmm,,, maybe if I put some high bars on the 9 and call it a motard bike.....

Good effort mate!

Grahameeboy
21st February 2006, 13:47
Translation for the reading-challenged......
Frosty says "Was I scared?? NO!! I was fucking terrified!!! But gosh it was fun (now that I'm back at work in the comfy chair)"

Selling cages!!!!

MSTRS
21st February 2006, 13:50
Selling cages!!!!
Yep - he's good at that too..

Fishy
21st February 2006, 13:56
Cool write up Frosty!. Sounds like you enjoyed yourself thoroughly!.

Grahameeboy
21st February 2006, 13:57
Yep - he's good at that too..

Yep....my neighbour buys all his cars from Frosty........

MSTRS
21st February 2006, 14:10
Yep....my neighbour buys all his cars from Frosty........
Shall I....or not....yeah OK.....
Frosty "Have I got a deal for you!!!"
GB's neighbour "Is that right?"
Frosty "Oh yeah. A fine example of an early 80's Corolla. One lady owner. 25,000 original kms. To you, my friend....$6995.95....and since you are a great customer I'll even take that 2yo Porsche off your hands as a trade ($1000.00 OK?). Now, you can't say fairer than that"
GB's neighbour "Cool. let's do it."
See - told you he was good.
:motu:

Grahameeboy
21st February 2006, 14:17
Shall I....or not....yeah OK.....
Frosty "Have I got a deal for you!!!"
GB's neighbour "Is that right?"
Frosty "Oh yeah. A fine example of an early 80's Corolla. One lady owner. 25,000 original kms. To you, my friend....$6995.95....and since you are a great customer I'll even take that 2yo Porsche off your hands as a trade ($1000.00 OK?). Now, you can't say fairer than that"
GB's neighbour "Cool. let's do it."
See - told you he was good.
:motu:

Well my neighbour's surname is Spratt....great guy though, our kitchens are opposite and you do not want to know what laughs we have...

ManDownUnder
21st February 2006, 14:19
MAAAATE!

Sounds like fun... bastard - I can't go racing... but you just me wanna...

Motoracer
21st February 2006, 18:16
Hey man,

Good on ya for making a come back to the streets!! From what I heard you were doing real good.

Best of luck for your future ventures!! :)

FROSTY
21st February 2006, 18:30
Guys I make no bones about it --after the second novice session --(well if ya dont ask ya dont get doya:msn-wink: ) I was scared frigging shitless
I was ready to load the bike in the van and whimper off home.
JUST THEN--the frigging legend Robert Taylor from Hawera Motorcycles came to see me -even more scarey he was brandishing a pair of bloody big spanners. He in what seemed to be seconds softened my rear shock --did some measurements and jacked the back up a bit and lowered the front a bit-
He told me it was a bit of a plaster over a mortal wound but it might help a bit.
I grabbed for my wallet and he looked at me totally insulted. ONYA robert
Anyhoo almost right away i noticed a HUGE difference in the bike.Second F3 prac tice and I could get the hairpin sorta right and could flop her over into turn 1 with confidence.

Riff Raff
21st February 2006, 18:38
Guys I make no bones about it --after the second novice session I was scared frigging shitless .
We noticed - Jimmy wanted me to try to get a close up picture that showed your eyes. Didn't manage it and then, you bastard, you wore sunnies for the rest of the day!

Here's a wee piccie of you leading part of the pack.

GSVR
21st February 2006, 20:47
Excellent insights there Tony. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

2much
21st February 2006, 21:33
Great write up Frosty. Thanks heaps for letting us store our gear in your van, it was a life saver! Sorry I didn't get the chance to meet you... next time. Was good to meet MD though.

MadDuck
2nd March 2006, 21:06
Great write up Frosty. Thanks heaps for letting us store our gear in your van, it was a life saver! Sorry I didn't get the chance to meet you... next time. Was good to meet MD though.

Why thanks 2much. The only one to acknowledge that while you guys parked your gear someone had to look after it. Next time we will be looking for donations to help support the effort.

Tony had a great days racing but maybe next time say hello to the team.....