PDA

View Full Version : East Coast Tour (or the seafood trail)

Lou Girardin
20th February 2006, 21:56
We decided to put the annual Sth Is trip off till April and do the East Coast in Feb instead. So it was off at a civilised hour on Sat headed for Rotovegas via Te Aroha. Taking a little while to get used to the feel of an extra 95 kilos on the bike. (Only 60 of which was pillion.)
First stop was Ironique in Te Aroha for a coffe and butt relief for the un-bike fit pillion. Then on to a date with Aslan and Ayesha the Lion cubs at Paradise Valley. It's quite amazing to play with a cat that's the size of a dog, the keeper said they were petting one pair until they were 9 months old. That's damn near fully grown! The surprising thing was that most people didn't want to touch them, although the male was a tad snappy. We have well developed cat avoidance reflexes now though.
Wellington Zoo could learn from Stu Hamlin, $42 sure beats $250 to play with a big puddy tat.
A quick lunch at Zambique then it was off to Taupo for the night and the first seafood dish at Santorini's, They called it Seafood Marinara, but I guess that sounds better than seafood seafood.
Next morning was cloudy and we thought we'd cop some rain on the Napier-Taupo, but it held off and got steadily warmer. We made good time and were soon at the turn-off to Wairoa. Going through the first set of serious twisty's we saw two guys on small sprotbikes giving them death up the hill. So we stop for a break at the Waikare Pub and this old guy rolls up and starts rabbiting on about how risky those young guys riding was. I made reassuring noises, but couldn't resist popping a wheelie as we left. Now he's convinced we've all got a death wish, even the older buggers.:lol:
It was scorching as we arrived in Gisborne, so we made for the Portside Hotel and were upgraded to a double suite. Now this was really luxurious, and seeing that we were meeting up with Pixie, we decided to stay an extra day.
Then it was luchtime and the second seafood feed at the Wharf Cafe. Mmmmmmm scallops. The back to the Hotel for a relaxing wine and a nap as befits my age.:whistle:
Dinner was at a new restaurant called USS Co. This was really excellent, the owner used to have Cibo's in Auck. Well worth the visit, and no, I didn't have seafood. I had a boil up, crispy pork belly, maori spuds and puha.
The next day was a chance to visit some winerys, but the buggers are nearly all appointment only. Milltons were great though, pleasant people and nice wines - mostly organic.:drinknsin
Pixie arrived that night and we headed up the coast in the morning. It's been 30 years since I've been along there, it's still beautiful but still seems a really poor area.
At this stage the road was in good nick, but from Tokomaru north it started to worsen, with repairs from flood damage everywhere. The locals have an interesting approach the roadworks signage, in 400 metres there was, a 30 km/h, a 70 km/h, another 30 km/h, a 100 km/h and a works end sign. The loose metal sign was past the loose metal.
We got to Tikitiki where I'd stayed a few times in the early seventies, so I was keen to see the old Hotel. Except there wasn't one,:spudwhat: just bare ground, like a few local pubs it had burnt down.
We reached Hicks Bay at 12.30 and the Lodge didn't look that sharp. A bit like the Trentham Barracks 30 years ago. The owner, who must have failed her Dale Carnegie course, said we couldn't see them till they'd been cleaned. The bar wasn't open, neither was the restaurant, so it was back to Te Araroa for lunch.
Once Frau Fuehrer allowed us to see inside, they were a lot better in than out. (Like so many things.)
Once the bar etc opened it was pool, beers and then a feed of..........................fush and chups. Bloody good too!
Off again in the morning. First stop Te Kaha where some locals pulled up in a new Pinzgauer. I didn't know the Army had private use company cars. But this was way cooler than any common Hummer. The guys said they'd been trying to bog it but it wouldn't.
The next stretch to Opotiki was brilliant biking road, if you could keep your eyes off the view. We were headed for the Mount, but decided to stay with Pixie through to Rotovegas where he headed off home. This whole run from Whakatane through to Te Puke was a blast too. I'd always done it in a cage when I lived there, but by bike puts it in a different league.
We stayed on Marine Parade and cursed the boy-racers with the locals. What fun!
Dinner was at Zeytin, which is brilliant value for money. No service to speak of, you order at the counter and pay right then. But when a main that would feed two is only $16 who cares?
We called into McDonalds Motor Trimmers in Tauranga to talk about a custom seat. We'd finally had enough of the sliding pillion syndrome. This place is run by Cajun's dad-in-law, and he's a good guy. He seems to know his stuff, showed some of his work and suggested some things to sort out the seat.
(I'll do a review when we've butt tested it.)
From Tauranga to Katikati is a major pain, double yellows nearly everywhere and all the trucks make overtaking impossible, it's the Kaimais next time.
Waihi to Whangamata is another excellent bike road, smooth, tight twistys that we even enjoyed on the two wheeled camper.
We saw the only rain of the trip coming into Whangamata, 10 km's ahead in the ranges.
Ho Hum, another day, another fish dinner.
The next day was more twisty's, more fine weather and a great ride back via Hikuai - Kopu, Miranda and the reality of the motorway.
This was the first major trip on the new bike, which went like dream. I had full preload wound on the rear shock, one click more rebound and compression and the bike felt just as good as when solo. No wallow, no crashing over bumps - just smooth control. Ohlins and Dr Taylor know their stuff alright!:clap:
Pics to follow later, bed time now.

Hitcher
21st February 2006, 08:01
Pictures please!

Nice write-up Lou. Mrs H and I did the East Cape just over two years ago on our 250s. We're seriously thinking about doing it again this March, if I have a repaired STeed and a helmet by then...

Oh yes. I forgot. Tauranga/Mt Maunganui should be nuked. An island of insane Auckland traffic that has escaped southwards.

idb
21st February 2006, 08:40
A bunch of us do the SI every year as well but I fancy doing the East Coast some time.
It sounds excellent from your description.
I might suggest it for this year.

DemonWolf
21st February 2006, 08:51
Excellent writeup.. can't wait for the pics!

Colapop
21st February 2006, 09:00
I long for a bike even more now! I know the coast up to Gisborne quite well (old man in Wairoa and sister in Gisborne). I haven't gone further north but I'd love to get up 'round Tolaga bay, Hicks bay area.

As an aside, anyone know where Tolaga (bay) comes from? Tolalga sounds cocnut language to me.

Blackbird
21st February 2006, 09:39
Great write-up Lou. Just how much metal is there north of Gisborne at present and how did your bike handle it? Smooth dirt or bloody big rocks?

Lou Girardin
21st February 2006, 12:39
Great write-up Lou. Just how much metal is there north of Gisborne at present and how did your bike handle it? Smooth dirt or bloody big rocks?

Gissy to Tokomaru is fine. From there north has a few patches of road works, nothing major. There was one large repair on a washed out culvert, it was rough but sealed. Something short of crazy is a good speed. They don't mark the repairs too well, so you need to focus.
The Bandit did it sweet, even with an entire Beauty parlour and Hair Salon on board.

Blackbird
21st February 2006, 16:43
Gissy to Tokomaru is fine. From there north has a few patches of road works, nothing major. There was one large repair on a washed out culvert, it was rough but sealed. Something short of crazy is a good speed. They don't mark the repairs too well, so you need to focus.
The Bandit did it sweet, even with an entire Beauty parlour and Hair Salon on board.

Thanks Lou - will go round before winter with some of the Auckland Blackbird boys. A friend went round before Xmas and said some stretches were scary on a sports bike.