PDA

View Full Version : Explain this

duckaddict
20th February 2006, 23:56
What do you think caused the skid/crash in this clip (from tv3).

Is it coming into the corner too fast? Or too hard on the front brakes and lock up? etc.

By the way, enjoyed my first ride with fellow KB'ers to Paeroa yesterday. To the guy on the yellow GSX650F who skidded, hope your shoulder's ok.

FROSTY
21st February 2006, 00:21
Thats turn 1 --What happens is you are slowing from over 240km/h so the front suspension gets all loaded up.Then you peel into the right hander there.
Looks like he hit a bump whilst trailing a bit of brake.

Korea
21st February 2006, 03:16
A good book once read: "Traction is like a pizza, and you only have a limited amount to go around. Use too many slices for braking and you won't have enough left for cornering." Brake release point is important.
Looks like Frosty and SM are right on the money; with the suspension fully loaded and the tyre on the edge of grip, the braking and that last little bump is enough to overload the front tyre.
Hello hay-bale!

duckaddict
21st February 2006, 19:12
I can't see the bump on the front wheel. But anyway, it could be the painted median as well added to the effect of the bump.

I guess where you stop braking hard counts a lot.

Would love to be able to do such connering one day :-) without the skid ofcourse.

Brian d marge
22nd February 2006, 03:33
Ive only been to Paeroa once , and there is a bump there at that spot , it seems to be just in the middle , and when I was standing there , 2 or three riders who were braking and hit that same point did the same thing Suspension fully loaded , bump , skip , bingo ....

It depends I think as to where the greatest amount of time is won or lost , if for example on the other side of the track , a softer suspension allows you to faster , and you lose a fraction at that bump ,( which you can ride around..spray it green so you know its there !!!!:rofl:) then I would risk the loaded suspension ....

And dont buy a digital camera , by the time you press the button , its daylight saving time again ! ( does any one want to buy a lot of 1/2 bike shot s???? got lots of rear wheel photo!!

Stephen

Quasievil
22nd February 2006, 05:24
What do you think caused the skid/crash in this clip (from tv3).

I think he was going to fast for the corner, just a wild guess:doobey:

SPman
22nd February 2006, 05:42
So thats how Craig binned...

Drunken Monkey
22nd February 2006, 08:16
...And dont buy a digital camera , by the time you press the button , its daylight saving time again ! ( does any one want to buy a lot of 1/2 bike shot s???? got lots of rear wheel photo!!

I'll be willing to bet none of these are scanned slides:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=24923

It's all in how you use your tool...

thealmightytaco
23rd February 2006, 00:07
Yep, not enough leeway on the friction circle there, too much brake and you see the wheel just rise a fraction and then the whole bike goes into the roll because the front is off the ground for that split second after the bump while he's still braking.

k14
23rd February 2006, 08:20
Yeah that was exactly the same way I crashed. Braked a fraction too late and was still braking as i turned in (which is normal on a 125, pretty safe braking right up to the apex) and then just bam. Was not really leaned over at all, hence the injuries, fell from quite a height.

They said on the news that his bike was written off, don't know how that would be the case.

Ivan
23rd February 2006, 09:23
Might have cracked a casing? or he might he damaged gear box as bike hit hay bails?

sAsLEX
23rd February 2006, 11:39
Might have cracked a casing? or he might he damaged gear box as bike hit hay bails?

sub frame was pretty mangeled, can see me and k14 in the vid watching from outside the pub!

Quasievil
23rd February 2006, 16:24
, can see me and k14 in the vid watching from outside the pub!

Bollocks, even if I pause it its to blurry to see anything:oi-grr:

sAsLEX
23rd February 2006, 16:33
Bollocks, even if I pause it its to blurry to see anything:oi-grr:

yellow hat behind orange shirt, can see it!

Grumpy
23rd February 2006, 16:52
I heard that there was a thought that he may have got fluid on his front tyre from a puncture in his radiator. They didn't seem to think that he would have finished that race even if he hadn't binned.

Grumpy
24th February 2006, 16:13
You could be right there. Just repeating what I heard from my little sis. She knows Craig quite well and the punctured radiator theory came from his spanner man.

Idrumm
24th February 2006, 17:38
Work with Craigs mate Dion also his spanner man, he said it was a pin hole leak squirting fluid on to his front tyre.

Quasievil
24th February 2006, 18:02
So a pin hole size water leak is going to win against a head wind of 250kmph to allow it to get on the front trye? bloody doubt it maybe the back tyre.
Ever tried pissing into the wind ?

Idrumm
24th February 2006, 20:08
We shall see what the spanner man has to say, maybe he's pissing in my ears.