PDA

View Full Version : k14 Paeroa Race Report

k14
21st February 2006, 10:32
I left for Paeroa around midday Saturday after packing everything into my van. I arrived in Paeroa around 4:30 to get sign in done and scrutineering out of the way. After that I headed to Thames for the night, staying at a mates place.

I headed back to Paeroa around 6 the next morning. Needed to get there bright and early to secure a pit spot. After a bit of stuffing around me and KK managed to get a good pit spot under a car port, so that was all sorted. I also found out that due to my times at Wanganui, I had been given 10th on the grid (out of 35, 2nd row). I was pretty stoked with that. The starts on the 125 are by far the worst aspect of racing against all the 4-strokes. Any little advantage counts.

I had my familiarisation laps for virgin riders at Paeroa at about 8:30. I went out to just get a feel for the track and see where it goes. I found a magnificent track, very fast front straight with some nice twisty bits in between. The multiple bumps on the back straight were a bit unnerving but not too bad on the 125, it didn’t seem to get any air over them. The 4 laps were soon over and I headed back into the pits. After realising I had geared it too short saslex (pit bitch) and I changed the rear sprocket up 1 tooth to a 38T. Would see how that was in the first practice. My speedo showed that my top speed in that session was 149kph, pretty massive considering it’s the main street of a town, but well down on most other bikes in the class.

The first practice session came around and I just decided to try and follow KK for a few laps, knowing that he had prior knowledge of the track. I made a pass on him coming into the esses and he came back past me on the back straight. I just tried to keep in touch with him and get my braking points off the straights sorted. The gearing change had helped a lot but it was still too short. I was topping out in 6th gear well before I needed to brake for the first corner. I was pretty worried about this, being so hot I didn’t like revving the bike like that for so long; the last thing I wanted was a seizure. After the session I thought about dropping another tooth on the rear sprocket but decided that it was too risky to loose drive out of the corners, especially out of the hairpin onto the front straight, so I left it as it was. My top speed had now increased to 160kph, an improvement on the previous session.

The second practice session came around soon and we were out again. I waited a little bit to let everyone else go ahead so I might be able to get some free track. On the first flying lap just as I went over the 2nd bump and into the kink on the back straight I see the yellow flag start to be waved by the marshal. I come round the corner to see bales flying everywhere and a guy sliding along the ground. I manage to just avoid the 50m board flying out to the track and re-gather myself to continue practice. I catch up to a few other guys and just have a bit of a play, testing different lines and further refining my braking markers. I had another nervous moment when coming into the hairpin a few laps later. Trying to find a way round a motard coming into the hairpin. Going down the outside of him and just about to tip in when I see he decides to “back” it in, I see the rear of his bike coming towards me and delay my turn in for a bit longer to avoid touching. Saslex had timed me in this session and said my fastest was a 56 with a few 57’s. I didn’t have a clue what that meant, not having any previous/other times to compare to, but knew that there was still 1 or 2 seconds left to go faster in the race.

About an hour later the first race was under way. After our 1.5 lap warm up laps I found my grid position and was ready for the flag to drop. I got a pretty good start by 125 standards but was still passed by what seemed 15 or so riders (including KK), I wasn’t too worried as I had the outside line for the first corner. I braked really late and went past a lot of the guys that got me off the line. I saw KK on the inside of the first corner but couldn’t quite take him. I settled in behind him over the hill and for the first run through the esses. I was passed by a bike or 2 down the back straight and came across the line 13th after the first lap. I continued to push and try hold off the motards behind me. On the 2nd lap I was passed by 1 down the back straight, dropping me to 14th then again on the 3rd lap was passed by another dropping me one more spot to 15th. I managed to keep that guy in check and was able to make up a lot of ground over the hill and through the esses, he was actually holding me up through the second part of the esses but as soon as he hit the gas he was gone. I tried a few times to make a pass on him coming into the hairpin but there was no way around him, they can make themselves very wide and on a narrow track like that there isn’t anywhere else to go.

I saw the white flag come out to signal the last lap. I was closer than the last few laps to the motard in front and thought I might have a shot at passing him into the esses if I was close enough. I broke really late this time coming into the first corner, was about to tip it in and bang, down I went. I came to a stop just before the hay bales, that was the end of the first race for me.

After the race finished I attempted to ride my bike back to the pits but a sore left thumb stopped me from being able to use the clutch. After watching the classic sidecar race from the marshals post at the first corner I hitched a ride back to the pits on the recovery trailor. By now my thumb was fairly swollen and I couldn’t really move it much, just a sprain I thought, but that was the end of my racing for the day. The bike was hardly damaged at all, bent footpeg and broken screen about the extent of the crash. Nothing major. My times were pretty good I though. Fastest of 53.6, was about the 15th fastest so was holding my place well, but oh well that’s racing.

I spent the rest of the day walking around and checking out some of the racing. Watching the Robert Holden memorial from the first corner I soon saw another rider join the same club I had just joined. Craig Sherrifs came a cropper in fairly similar circumstances about halfway through the race trying to catch up with Stroud. Seems as though it was a corner for only the “best” of riders :msn-wink:

All in all not the best day but still a great experience. Still in the learning stage as far as racing goes and any crash you can walk away from is a good one. Three crashes in the last four races probably indicates I’m not learning much from them but I hope I have, wonder if I’m good enough at it to join an Auck kb ride yet :lol:

Thumb was giving a bit of grief at work yesterday so decided to get a pro to check it out. Turns out it was broken, 6 weeks in a cast for me. Oh well, out of 7 crashes this is the first injury I’ve had, always someone out there that is worse off.

Finally I’d just like to thank all the kber’s that have helped me in recent times and the past, specially jim2 for organising the sponsorship. Quasi (Quasimoto Leathers), TonyB (Motoequip and Minotau Leathers) and Sawyers Motorcycles for donating the items for the auctions. I really appreciate it guys. Also saslex for helping in the pits and all the other kber’s that I saw on Sunday.

Cheers guys

Grahameeboy
21st February 2006, 10:36
Well done matey......Cibby, Postie, GraemeNZ and me saw your crash and were glad you got up......geeze you are tall........a lot of bikes had trubs on that corner, including one of the Honda F1 guys so feel proud of what you are acheiving...:2thumbsup

Fishy
21st February 2006, 10:37
Good on you K14!. :2thumbsup

k14
21st February 2006, 10:41
Well done matey......Cibby, Postie, GraemeNZ and me saw your crash and were glad you got up......geeze you are tall........a lot of bikes had trubs on that corner, including one of the Honda F1 guys so feel proud of what you are acheiving...:2thumbsup
Awesome, glad i provided some good entertainment for the day. If there's one thing i'm good at its crashing, lol. :killingme

Fishy
21st February 2006, 10:42
Must have been a wicked experience though mate even though the day didn't go as good as you'd hoped.

DemonWolf
21st February 2006, 10:43
Great writeup! Hope the thumb heals quickly and correctly!

k14
21st February 2006, 10:52
Must have been a wicked experience though mate even though the day didn't go as good as you'd hoped.
Yeah of course I'm a bit gutted but still stoked at how much fun it was. Bring on next year i say, hopefully i can make it. Will have to see how things go.

Riff Raff
21st February 2006, 11:01
Mate you were doing really well out there. WT and I were in a prime position to see your crash (it looked pretty good as far as crashes go).

Hope your thumbs heals ok.

nadroj
21st February 2006, 11:03
You mean everyone got all those photo's before the end of the first race?
No one would have any film left if you had finished the days racing.
Must be a pin up boy.
Well done & heal quick.

MSTRS
21st February 2006, 11:18
There's always next time eh?? I've not seen you ride, but if you are half as good as your write-up....well need I say more.:niceone:

Mental Trousers
21st February 2006, 11:53
Saw you pushing it off the trailer in the pits after your crash, but I've never met you before and wasn't sure if that was you or not. Know for next time.

With that many crashes I'm surprised the Auckland KB members haven't hunted you down and offered you a life membership.

Steve_R6R
21st February 2006, 12:54
Seems as though it was a corner for only the “best” of riders

I think one of the Ozzies crashed on that corner during practice, so you must be right, good on you.

enigma51
21st February 2006, 13:09
K14 have not had time to go through all the photos as I ended up taking photos of as many people as i can and then go through which are who and posting them up.

Racey Rider
21st February 2006, 13:22
Good effort Kirk.

KK told me there was a free RS125 sitting there doing nothin for half the day. Saddly I couldn't find you to steal your leathers. :msn-wink:

k14
21st February 2006, 13:26
K14 have not had time to go through all the photos as I ended up taking photos of as many people as i can and then go through which are who and posting them up.
no worries mate, take your time, no hurry.

Two Smoker
21st February 2006, 17:37
Wicked write up Kirk, well done on the positions during the race... Gutted you couldnt finish...

Awesome, glad i provided some good entertainment for the day. If there's one thing i'm good at its crashing, lol. :killingme

Nah mate, got a bit of catching up to me... Im still leading in the crashing stakes...

Motoracer
21st February 2006, 18:07
Nice going Kirik!

You really made an impression on your 125 with the big boys! Everyone out there noticed how hard you were going. Respect!! :)

FROSTY
21st February 2006, 18:13
onya dude--ive got twice ya HP and was struggling to get under 56's
53s are bloody fantastic. --Saw ya crash--well the aftermath as I was about 10 seconds behind ya by end of race

k14
21st February 2006, 18:26
Nah mate, got a bit of catching up to me... Im still leading in the crashing stakes...
You reckon, that makes it 7 track crashes for me. 6 on 125 and 1 on bucket. Also got a 75% success rate (or should that be failure rate) in races this year, i'm slowly catching :laugh:

Quasievil
21st February 2006, 19:27
Finally I’d just like to thank all the kber’s that have helped me in recent times and the past, specially jim2 for organising the sponsorship. Quasi (Quasimoto Leathers), TonyB (Motoequip and Minotau Leathers) and Sawyers Motorcycles for donating the items for the auctions. I really appreciate it guys. Also saslex for helping in the pits and all the other kber’s that I saw on Sunday.

Cheers guys

Its a Pleasure mate, I pissed I didnt get to meet you but will do so next time.
I would love to have given ya more but a few things preventing that right now.
catch ya !!

Shade
21st February 2006, 20:00
Bad luck dude, especially about the thumb!!

Dont know about the crashing thing though - im 100% crash rate at the moment, 2 crashes from 2 race meetings, ahah :)

Hope you heal up quick!

Kwaka-Kid
22nd February 2006, 06:06
Good writeup kirk, sorry to hear about your thumb... Haha, nobody can beat shades crash rate, if there is one thing he is the man at, its making sure he doesnt go to a track without at least tasting its tarmac with his arse during the day!

Good luck for a good recovery and hope to race against you sometime soon!

cowpoos
22nd February 2006, 10:33
awesome stuff dude...you were lookin pretty hot in some of those pic's people took of ya!!