PDA

View Full Version : Off to California...

Brownbikerbabe
22nd February 2006, 06:43
Hey all,

I will be off to San Francisco, California:sunny: on Thursday for a 3 day conference, then a mini vacation once hubby joins me...never been...looking forward to it.

Anyone here been? I heard the seafood is amazing and of course the wine country:drinknsin

I will be looking for some nice motorcycle gear and MORE shopping for clothes and accessories.

Chaaaaaarrrrge it!:banana:

Never get in the way of a woman and her :love: credit card!

Will talk to you all in 2 weeks.

Take care and ride safe.

MisterD
22nd February 2006, 07:16
It's a great place, and the seafood is fantastic although it's the only place in the world where I've ordered "Genuine English Fish and Chips" and then been asked "Do you want fries with that?":weird:

If you want to actually go to Alcatraz, rather than just a boat trip past it and out the the Golden Gate then you'll need to book a day or two ahead.

Have fun.

SDU
22nd February 2006, 12:05
Sounds like a nice place to have a hol.
I imagine you can't ride at home at the moment due to snow, It'll be a good opportunity to hire a bike and tiki tour around sunny cali.

ManDownUnder
22nd February 2006, 12:17
PM KBer "jbauer" - he's from there, a nice guy and is in NZ at the mo... don't know if he's online till Friday though.

Pier 29 or 39 (I forget which it is)... is the jazz quarter - jazz bars everywhere and there is some real talent there... I mean REAL talent.... AWESOME

Awesome dining - everywhere, but the coffee is American... weak compared to here.

Cable cars are there - and so's Colditz.

Up the road is the Napa valley (wine) and down the road is Silicone Valley (the REAL SV - not Pammy Anderson...). SV's nothing to see really... it's like an industrial park really - just expensive, and quite nice- trees everywhere etc).

If you are downtown you can walk a reasonable amount, or catch the trams. Head down to the Jazz quarter and wine, dine and listen to some music. There might be some websites showing who is playing there too.

BART is a great way to get around (Bay Area Rapid Transit - light rail), and the trams on Powel St are fun (that's the stree you always see in movies where cars are racing down this huge hill bouncing over the flat "landings" at cross streets)

That's all for now... enjoy.
MDU

scumdog
22nd February 2006, 12:47
Around San Francisco you're bound to get lost if your driving, the place is a mass of road winding all over the place from island to island and around bays etc.!!!
Nearly drove me mad trying to find my way back through rush-hour traffic.

Napa Valley? arrrghh! (drool noises) great countryside, nice bit of scenery and the wine ain't too bad either!

Mental Trousers
22nd February 2006, 12:47
Try not to breath the air.

Skyryder
22nd February 2006, 19:26
Just be a we bit coy if you are driving in San Fran. Get lost and into areas where you should not be and you can get into trouble real fast. Take a good map and if you get lost in the 'hood, don't stop and ask directions. Having said that, you'll love Kaliforny. I was there a few years ago. Mind you I stayed with a local so I saw a lot of San Fran. Never went to Alcatraz. Just no my thing. If you get time shoot down to Monteray, Carmal. The monastary's worth a look. Failing that in the other direction a trip into the Sierria foothills and some western town and bars. They just love kiwis over there. As a rule 10% is the general amount for tipping. It's expected and part of the American way of life.

Have fun. You'll love it.

Skyryder

Beemer
22nd February 2006, 22:02
Gee, how the other half lives! I've got three days in Auckland in April for a freelance writers seminar - not QUITE San Fran! (Except maybe the night of the Hero parade...:moon:)

Brownbikerbabe
23rd February 2006, 11:42
Thank you all for the words of advice...I hope that San Fran is not as bad as L.A.....will let you all know how it went when I return....if....I return. (nervous laugh)

Cheers.....definitely NOT looking forward to flying:bye:

madboy
23rd February 2006, 11:48
I'd be interested to hear how the trip turns out. We've gotta be in Detroit in early Sept, so will prob do San Francisco (we're told we have to see Alcatraz) and Las Vegas, possibly LA too. Hence the reason I haven't upgraded bikes this year. Or next by the sounds of it...

Good luck, have fun.

scumdog
23rd February 2006, 11:49
Thank you all for the words of advice...I hope that San Fran is not as bad as L.A.....will let you all know how it went when I return....if....I return. (nervous laugh)

Cheers.....definitely NOT looking forward to flying:bye:

IMHO it is worse - but you'll still enjoy it!!