PDA

View Full Version : Advice on where to go from here

Ghost Lemur
5th April 2004, 14:43
I've been doing a lot of reading on and off for years about motorbikes, but have fiinally decided I can't resist the urge any longer. My previous riding experience has been limited to borrowing friends bikes.

Now where I'm seeking advice is on two points. Firstly, how difficult is it to get your licence without actually owning a bike?

Second, I'm a poor student with family, so which is better. Saving a little buying a "project bike/wreak" and then spending the money I'd otherwise still be saving on doing it up? Or, save longer and buy better outright.

I have like a zillion other questions but I think this will do for now.

duckman
5th April 2004, 14:52
Hi Ghost,

On your 1st question, provided you can basically ride a bike, you can hire one for the day and sit your practical. (obviously you don't need a bike to sit your theory).

On your 2nd question, I'd say. stay away from the "project bike". You can buy a second hand bike thats in good nick for f*ck all these days. Less than a grand will get you moving. :banana:

Devil
5th April 2004, 14:53
Firstly, how difficult is it to get your licence without actually owning a bike?
Easy as pie.
Had my learners for about a month now, only just about to get a bike (this sat! :D) Go do your basic handling cert, they basically check that you can ride there, and give you a little tuition. I did mine with Passrite for example www.passrite.co.nz
They give you a certificate which you take to the AA or whatever local licencing place you have, then you get the fill the in the forms and book in for your learners test. Yadda Yadda, not hard at all.

Two Smoker
5th April 2004, 15:24
Licence is piss easy to get..... definately save for a better bike.... project bikes = lots of $$$$

Ghost Lemur
5th April 2004, 16:28
Thanks for the advice so far guys. It was the way I was leaning, just needed it confirmed that I was heading in the right direction.

It seems (from the yellow pages) that there's only one motorcycle school down here (Ride Rite). So I'll have to ring them to get further details - damn businesses not having websites.

I suppose it'll have the added advantage of enabling me to go for test rides and increase the chances of people lending me a ride. Therefore keeping my motivation up while saving.

KATWYN
5th April 2004, 16:46
Thanks for the advice so far guys. It was the way I was leaning, just needed it confirmed that I was heading in the right direction.

It seems (from the yellow pages) that there's only one motorcycle school down here (Ride Rite). So I'll have to ring them to get further details - damn businesses not having websites.

I suppose it'll have the added advantage of enabling me to go for test rides and increase the chances of people lending me a ride. Therefore keeping my motivation up while saving.

It is probably obvious but don't skimp on "skin & bone" protection. Buy a new helmet and second hand leathers/protective gear...

Posh Tourer :P
5th April 2004, 19:45

I wouldnt bet on MC shops letting you ride on a learners....

jrandom
5th April 2004, 23:00

I would. I must have test-ridden every 250 in Auckland on my learners, including blindingly chromed $10,000 XVS250 Yams and a badly tuned old ZXR250 that made me fear for my life as it started to choke and miss around 17Krpm when I raced a WRX down the motorway. Still kept up respectably, but.

The shops are all pretty cool with test riding generally, I find. What else would those of us with boring bikes *do* on Saturday mornings?

Actually, make that every 250 except any 'prilly RSs, I never quite had the balls to ask. Wouldn't want one, anyway. Phhhhhhbtbtbttttttt.

Devil
6th April 2004, 08:26
Have to disagree with you as well there. Motorcycle City, lower hutt. Awesome couple of guys down there, let us (me and the lady, both on learners and never ridden a bike, apart from the handling skills cert and a couple of times on the farm) take the bike down to the riverbank carpark to have a ride around (at our request).

Some places will be a little "meh" but usually thats because they think you're tyre kicking.

Wenier
6th April 2004, 09:52
Yea i found on my learners that MC shops would let ya test ride anything 250. The other thing is for the basic skills cert if ya dont have a bike expect to pay something like $200 or more to do it then the learners will set ya back another $80ish. And yea ya can pick up a 250 for pretty cheap if ya find one that sounds bad but is actually really easy to fix like my one was. :)

Hitcher
6th April 2004, 09:55
Don't put off getting your bike licence. Best thing I've ever done and I wish now I'd done it years ago.

Devil
6th April 2004, 10:06
The other thing is for the basic skills cert if ya dont have a bike expect to pay something like $200 or more to do it then the learners will set ya back another $80ish.
I went through passrite for the handling cert. Cost me $99 which included the use of a bike and helmet for as long as it took to get me up to speed (which was only just over an hour to complete everything, the rest of the people on the course averaged about 1:30-2hrs).
Most places you can do it for around $100 with the use of a bike, shop around.
$80 is correct for the learners licence, unless you're like me and have to go to an optometrist as well, which is an extra $50 or so, *sigh*

Ghost Lemur
6th April 2004, 10:47
Sounds like I might have a reasonable chance of still getting a test ride even on a learners (although I wasn't planning on being able, expected to have to be on my restricted at least). I'll only be asking at Sportzone Suzuki, as through all my time of browsing they are the only ones to make me feel truely comfortable and have been happy to take the time to answer my questions knowing that there was no chance of a sale in it.

Was talking to my gf on the phone last night (she's in Nelson studying), and she surprised me even further. Prior to yesterday, if I mentioned I might be interested in getting a bike sometime her response was always "hell no, not a chance" within 0.02 seconds. But yesterday she started actually discussing it. Obviously she's still got concerns and fears, but has given the go ahead anyway.

But on the phone last night I mentioned how nice it'd be once I get a bike to go for a weekend cruise. She asked, where she was supposed to be, I said she could always get one too so we could go riding together. To which she responded, much to my pleasant surprise, that she'd rather be on the back of mine.

A bit off topic I know, but I'm very proud of her, not to mention ecstatic that I can have my cake and eat it too. Instead of having to choose between getting two wheeled and respecting her fears, etc.

What sort of other factors should I be taking into account when calculating how much I need to save? Yes KATWYN, I will be getting all the protective gear, between my gf's concerns and having two young son's to think about, I couldn't even consider skimping on protection.

But what can I get secondhand, obviously the helmet need to be bought brand new as there is no way of telling if it's been comprimised in a fall and weakened.

Solarwind
6th April 2004, 11:56
Now where I'm seeking advice is on two points. Firstly, how difficult is it to get your licence without actually owning a bike?

Second, I'm a poor student with family, so which is better. Saving a little buying a "project bike/wreak" and then spending the money I'd otherwise still be saving on doing it up? Or, save longer and buy better outright.

I got my rider training from Motolife in Cambridge, I just borrowed one of their bikes for the day (they had several available). I didn't pass my practical test first time, as that was the first day I had even sat on a bike... I bought a 250 of my own and rode it around carparks to get the hang of the handling (transported it on a trailer) then resat the intro course and practical test (Motolife didn't charge me a second time for repeating the same course) and passed easily. If you have a car license you can ride a 50cc (without a bike license), so that could be a way to practise your skills.

I would recommend finding a second-hand bike in good condition, get all the hoses, brake pads etc. replaced if they're old as well. You want to learn how to maintain your first bike in your own time, not the hard way when you blow a hose in the middle of nowhere.

6th April 2004, 19:37
I agree Solarwind, a decent second hand bike is the go. Get it well checked if you dont have a good workshop. I've managed to get by with some dodgy ones because we have a good workshop at home, but it wouldnt be much fun without all the tools.
Gear can be bought second hand.... get new gloves, boots and helmet. Jacket and pants can be done second hand. Or at least thats my impression. Second hand boots are often worn out and uncomfortable, but you may be able to pick up some nice pieces as all those older ones rediscovering their youth decide that its too cold for riding in the winter and the new bike is too scary for them, and the wife makes them sell it all... apparently a few sets of gear + bikes come on the market in the next few months

6th April 2004, 19:38
I agree Solarwind, a decent second hand bike is the go. Get it well checked if you dont have a good workshop. I've managed to get by with some dodgy ones because we have a good workshop at home, but it wouldnt be much fun without all the tools.
Gear can be bought second hand.... get new gloves, boots and helmet. Jacket and pants can be done second hand. Or at least thats my impression. Second hand boots are often worn out and uncomfortable, but you may be able to pick up some nice pieces as all those older ones rediscovering their youth decide that its too cold for riding in the winter and the new bike is too scary for them, and the wife makes them sell it all... apparently a few sets of gear + bikes come on the market in the next few months...

Jay widda 150
16th September 2004, 15:38
just make sure you have good gear first :niceone:

sAsLEX
16th September 2004, 15:47
just a tip, check the dates of posts, all good sugesting getting the gear first but timely advice is the best. GL has had his bike a while now.