PDA

View Full Version : 200 + o.k who was it !!

duckman
5th April 2004, 15:05
In todays Herald .... :sly:

A motorcyclist was clocked at 202km/h fleeing a pursuing police patrol yesterday before being caught at the end of a no-exit road.

Nelson Bays police area manager Inspector Brian McGurk said the incident began yesterday afternoon on State Highway 6 near Nelson.

A highway patrol officer with a speed detector clocked the motorcycle at 202km/h heading towards Nelson.

Mr McGurk said the patrol car took off in pursuit but abandoned the chase when it lost sight of the speeding bike. Another patrol car was sent from Nelson and caught sight of the motorcyclist turning into a no-exit road where he was apprehended.

:shutup:

Shawn
5th April 2004, 15:11
DANG!! :shit: repeating stupidity like this will result in a super uptight cop policy against us bikers...i just think ppl like those destroying the fact that cops r actually friendly and lineal about bikers (at ;east I think so!!)

Shawn

duckman
5th April 2004, 15:20
DANG!! :shit: repeating stupidity like this will result in a super uptight cop policy against us bikers...i just think ppl like those destroying the fact that cops r actually friendly and lineal about bikers (at ;east I think so!!)

Shawn
Hang on a minute..... Your choosen name is "speed Demon" and your dream bike is a 600cc sport bike ..... Do you really expect me to believe that you intend to stick to 100kmh on the open road ?? :eyepoke:

k14
5th April 2004, 15:23
Damn, that guy will be in the shit.

Wonder what penalty he will get.

White trash
5th April 2004, 15:25
Not me.

Would've read "......motorcyclist was aprehended after an apparent "show off" wheelie attempt went horribly wrong. Unceromoniously dumping the rider on his arse in front of pusuing police!" Ha ha :thud:

White trash
5th April 2004, 15:26
................ that cops r actually friendly and lineal about bikers (at ;east I think so!!)

Shawn

I think you're deluded, Shawn :Police:

Shawn
5th April 2004, 15:26
Definitely not I speed too....but I would certainly stop if i see a flash behind me , which did happen and i slowed down every fricken time and came to a still stop. That’s when I actually found out them r lot friendlier to speedy bikes then cars. Im just saying you should never try to fly if u find a cop car behind flashing you…that’s a moron on a fast bike!!

duckman
5th April 2004, 15:30
Definitely not I speed too....but I would certainly stop if i see a flash behind me , which did happen and i slowed down every fricken time and came to a still stop. That’s when I actually found out them r lot friendlier to speedy bikes then cars. Im just saying you should never try to fly if u find a cop car behind flashing you…that’s a moron on a fast bike!!
Completely agree with you there.... If they start chasing you, then you should stop and take the punishment. :Police:

Urban Terrorist
5th April 2004, 15:33
Does anyone else think that trying to get away down a no exit road is a bit daft ?

Shawn
5th April 2004, 15:33
I think you're deluded, Shawn :Police:

I agree…but I was doing 120 on Ash St (50k Zone), Avondale and all of a sudden this Holden shows up behind me. But all he said to me was “slow the fuck down , u don’t wanna get locked up!!”…may be coz he didn’t catch me on his gun!!...i dunno…then aging he could catch me on his gun if he wanted too.

White trash
5th April 2004, 15:42
Who the fuck does 120 in a 50 zone!

Jesus man, an aquaintence of mine hit a 6 year old girl on his bike because he couldn't stop doing 75 in a 50. She recovered well enough but 7 years later he still has nightmares about it.

Seems to me you're EXTREMELY fortunate not to get the book thrown at you.

Wait 'till you have kids. Then see how receptive you are to people going 140% above the speed limit in a 50 zone. You start leaving a box of old spark plugs at the front gate to throw at boy racers cars hooning up and down on Saturday afternoons :kick:

Motoracer
5th April 2004, 15:48
Penalty for doing runners can mean jail time but if the offence isn't very serious (injuring bystanders etc), it can just mean a fine of up to 5 or 6 (not exactly sure which) thousand dollars with various other penalties (loose licence etc).

Shawn
5th April 2004, 15:51
Well, that’s not something I do everyday…I was running late for my class and the road was totally empty (beside the fricken HOLDEN!!)…

You start leaving a box of old spark plugs at the front gate to throw at boy racers cars hooning up and down on Saturday afternoons :kick:

lol...mean
Shawn

Motoracer
5th April 2004, 16:01
I am with ya on that one WT! Sure, when I was 15-17, I was an idiot who used to do crazy speeds just about anywhere. Now (thankfully without learning it the hard way), I pretty much stick to the limit as far as areas with a speed limit of 70 or under go (townships, residential areas etc). They are there for a reason.

I don't have a moral speed limit for the open road though, it all depends on the condions of the surrounding enviroment.

White trash
5th April 2004, 16:03
Agreed.

Open road is no holds barred! And you take your punnishment like a man. (As you've witnessed!) :niceone:

White trash
5th April 2004, 16:05
Well, that’s not something I do everyday…I was running late for my class and the road was totally empty (beside the fricken HOLDEN!!)…

lol...mean
Shawn

Tell ya what, after they've had a few spark plug dents, you don't seem to see them any more. I swear, I must live on the quietest street in Wgtn.

Nouseforaname
5th April 2004, 17:16
Now this is where i get confused, how the F$%K can anybody say the road was totaly empty? how the hell do u know that a little 5 year kid isnt crossing the street around the next bend.... it's the most retarted thing i hear people say! :whocares:

Angry Puppy
5th April 2004, 17:30
I'm sorry, but only a complete twat does 120 in a 50. IT'S A 50 LIMIT FOR A REASON, MORON! So the road was empty. So in that you are saying that there were no parked cars, no schools, no pedestrians and you had full knowledge of your entire surrounds (apart from the brightly painted 15 foot long lump of mild steel wearing a holden badge!) If you want to ride like that, go on a track day.

I make no appology for my abusive reply.

wkid_one
5th April 2004, 17:39
I agree…but I was doing 120 on Ash St (50k Zone), Avondale and all of a sudden this Holden shows up behind me. But all he said to me was “slow the fuck down , u don’t wanna get locked up!!”…may be coz he didn’t catch me on his gun!!...i dunno…then aging he could catch me on his gun if he wanted too.
Two things about this surprise me: 1. You are blindly stupid and socially irresponsible enuf to do a 'self-acclaimed' 120 in a 50 zone. 2. The cop didn't just estimate your speed and take you to court.

Either that - or this is just pissing in the wind. I am guessing the pissing in the wind myself as no cop will let you off for that speed in a 50 zone - ever.....and so they shouldn't.

I myself have been hit by a speeding car when I was 7, outside a school at 3pm and had a nice stay in hospital as a result - needless to say fuckwits like you with your casual attitude to ressie speeding piss me off no end

My thoughts anyway.

Ms Piggy
5th April 2004, 17:49
Have any of you seen that new speed advert on telly?

One car is going 60 (I think, may have even been 50) and the other is doing 5kms/hr more and it compares the damage when they both plow into a truck. Neither of them stopped in time to not get damage to their cars but the 5kms/hr faster one was f*cked.

I thought it was quite effective.

:eek5:

White trash
5th April 2004, 17:53

One car is going 60 (I think, may have even been 50) and the other is doing 5kms/hr more and it compares the damage when they both plow into a truck. Neither of them stopped in time to not get damage to their cars but the 5kms/hr faster one was f*cked.

That. Is a fucken good ad!

Angry Puppy
5th April 2004, 17:54
The add was good lilly, but I prefer the one they have in the UK.

They play the sound of a crash through an osiliscope-type-thing. then they break the wave-form down in to its components and analyse it;

"this sound is your legs breaking on the underside of the dashboard"
"these sounds are your ribs breaking on the steering wheel" etc etc

Graphic without being grotesque(spelling). strangely compelling viewing.

Fazer Bloke.

Two Smoker
5th April 2004, 17:59
Definately stick to the speed limit or very closely to it (i e nothing over 65) in residential areas.... if i was on the open road doin 170 kmh and killed myself ...... well that my fault and i paid the consequence....

If i was doing 70+ in a 50 area and killed someone.. i think i would kill myself because i couldnt live with it knowledge.... i take large personal risks etc, but only wen it will affect only me....
and another reason im getting into racing.... much more likely not to hurt anyone other than myself and do it legally......

Marknz
5th April 2004, 18:20

A motorcyclist was clocked at 202km/h fleeing a pursuing police patrol yesterday before being caught at the end of a no-exit road.

Nelson Bays police area manager Inspector Brian McGurk said the incident began yesterday afternoon on State Highway 6 near Nelson.

A highway patrol officer with a speed detector clocked the motorcycle at 202km/h heading towards Nelson.

Thank feck for that... I was half expecting to read "In Wellington on Saturday morning on a silver Gixxer thou or yellow Buell", and then I'd have been getting abusive PMs from WT. But hey, Jimbo made me do it :whistle:

Skyryder
5th April 2004, 18:25

just another statistic waiting to happen. :thud:

Skyryder

Jackrat
5th April 2004, 19:26
Does anyone else think that trying to get away down a no exit road is a bit daft ?

Yeah that did strike me as being a bit silly :lol:

Coldkiwi
5th April 2004, 19:39
escape down a road posted as 'no escape (or maybe it wasn't that obvious?)' .
"go directly to jail , do NOT collect $200 cause damn you're stupid" Don't care how good your riding is, if you go down a no exit road (zero points for realising and hiding the bike too properly!) you just doubled your chances of getting nicked. He would've been better to carry on and out speed the next HP car. silly sod

Lou Girardin
5th April 2004, 19:54
"Give the guy a break'?, maybe a couple of broken legs so that he doesn't endanger any one else for a while. Godamn moron.
As for the LTSA ads, watch 'TopGear' and you'll see that different vehicles react differently to an impact, no two accidents are the same. As for the 5km/h difference in impact speed, reaction times and, dare I say it skill, will make more difference to the final result than whether you're travelling at 50 or 55 km/h.
Lou
Lou

pete376403
5th April 2004, 20:01
That guy who crashed the GTO in Auckland (was that car unzipped or what!) has bought the urban speeding thing right back into focus. At least he only took himself out.

wkid_one
5th April 2004, 20:16
I can almost guarantee that if you were more honest with everyone and told us of your escapades on bikes, when you rode them that is, that you too would be called some of the names you just dished out to SpeedDemon- you hypocrite Cincinnati Kid.

Have been totally honest or don't you fucken read - that is why I get shit in the first place.....what escapade of mine haven't I told people about (open road speeding, crashing, stunting, dragging, crashing, etc etc oh and crashing). I have been called most of the names I called SD....

HOWEVER - where I choose to be an idiot - I put only myself at risk - not kids etc who don't expect people to be doing 100kph outside their letterbox. Also - I have and never will speed in a 50 zone. Pull your fucken head in and quit playing the PC police....come argue once you have been wiped out by someone speeding in a residential zone...

wkid_one
5th April 2004, 20:21
"Give the guy a break'?, maybe a couple of broken legs so that he doesn't endanger any one else for a while. Godamn moron.
As for the LTSA ads, watch 'TopGear' and you'll see that different vehicles react differently to an impact, no two accidents are the same. As for the 5km/h difference in impact speed, reaction times and, dare I say it skill, will make more difference to the final result than whether you're travelling at 50 or 55 km/h.
Lou
Lou
So true - I did the advanced training with Ford the other day (yes yes, Fucked On Race Day jokes aside).....and it was a good eye opener as to how, even when you are expecting to be told to brake - you still have to react. All it proved to me was that - buggered if I want to have to emergency brake to that extent ever - esp if you don't know when you are going to have to.

The stats were phenomenal.....they basically said that the braking the car isn't the issue with ABS these days - it is the reaction time (or lack of it) that kills you.

1 sec reaction time at 100kph means you have travelled 30m before you even notice something is wrong.....let alone put your foot on the brake.

dangerous
5th April 2004, 20:22
fact that cops r actually friendly and lineal about bikers
Shawn

:bs: :bs: :bs: They want your money and thats that :sneaky2:

jimbo600
5th April 2004, 20:49

Yeah but if you were going 80kmh you would have passed the truck before it pulled out.

120 in a 50 = dumb. Urban areas need to be treated like a kids going to run out at any minute. Open road, then I'm the quickest guy in Wellington.

Marknz
5th April 2004, 20:52
Open road, then I'm the quickest guy in Wellington.

Unless there's someone on a SV650 right? :bleh:

jimbo600
5th April 2004, 20:57
Thank feck for that... I was half expecting to read "In Wellington on Saturday morning on a silver Gixxer thou or yellow Buell", and then I'd have been getting abusive PMs from WT. But hey, Jimbo made me do it :whistle:

Nothing to do with me. You quite clearly said and I quote "I'm going to kill this gixxer 1000 around the loop" And then tore up Haywards hill on the back wheel. Then I believed that you mentioned that anyone on less than a thousand is a homo.

jimbo600
5th April 2004, 20:58
Unless there's someone on a SV650 right? :bleh:

He's nothing. Just knows the road better that's all.

erik
5th April 2004, 21:01
I've gotta say that 120k in a 50k zone sounds a bit over the top to me.

But you guys that are saying you never speed in a 50k zone, what exactly do you mean? Surely you don't stick to 50k's, you'd be holding up traffic as most people drive faster than that (say at 60-65k's) in many areas (Ash street is one of them).

By speeding, do you mean pushing things to the extreme or something?

And if you speed only on the open road, how can you be only putting yourself at risk when other people are using the road too? Sure the chances of a kid running out from a driveway or behind a parked car are less, but there could be a family coming around the corner in their car or something, or a farmer herding sheep or cattle, or another biker also speeding coming in the opposite direction.

It just seems you guys are making things seem too black and white for me.

wkid_one
5th April 2004, 21:04
Won't go faster than 55 in a 50 zone.....try to stick to 50. However I have a rather traumatic experience that keeps me at that speed in built up areas. Having been the victim.....I don't want to be the perpetrator

Don't get me wrong tho - once the speed limit hits a hundy.....all hell breaks loose (and the rear tyre then I bin it)

dangerous
5th April 2004, 21:05
120 in a 50 = dumb. Urban areas need to be treated like a kids going to run out at any minute. Open road, then I'm the quickest guy in Wellington.

Ohh yeh what about the dumb arse sheep thats 'going to run out at any minute'
It dosent realy matter were you are the chance is the same of it all going belly up.

wkid_one
5th April 2004, 21:06
Ohh yeh what about the dumb arse sheep thats 'going to run out at any minute'
It dosent realy matter were you are the chance is the same of it all going belly up.
Hmmm - it isn't about having a accident per'se - it is about what you are having the accident with. I would rather tell I farmer I killed his sheep (assuming I can) than tell a mum I killed her 2 year daughter who ran out to get a ball.

jimbo600
5th April 2004, 21:09
I've gotta say that 120k in a 50k zone sounds a bit over the top to me.

But you guys that are saying you never speed in a 50k zone, what exactly do you mean? Surely you don't stick to 50k's, you'd be holding up traffic as most people drive faster than that (say at 60-65k's) in many areas (Ash street is one of them).

By speeding, do you mean pushing things to the extreme or something?

And if you speed only on the open road, how can you be only putting yourself at risk when other people are using the road too? Sure the chances of a kid running out from a driveway or behind a parked car are less, but there could be a family coming around the corner in their car or something, or a farmer herding sheep or cattle, or another biker also speeding coming in the opposite direction.

It just seems you guys are making things seem too black and white for me.

I try to stick between 55 and 60 in urban areas. (Stop laughing you pricks).

On the open road if I hit traffic coming the other way then it's because they are on my side of the road. Chances are that I would have collected them anyway. I normally save the heroics for when I can see around a nice sweeper and can guarantee that the road is clear.

You can have a bit of fun on the open road and still leave room for an out if things go pearshaped.

Failing that just hold the grip WFO and pray.

Two Smoker
5th April 2004, 21:15
the likelihood of crashing on the open road is because of another person or the rider pushing the limits is exceeding their own..... i generally have a speed of 50-62 in a 50 k area depending on the area, ie industrial i will have a speed around 60 but in residential, its lower.

Yep 50-55 just ask KK he rides at about 45-55k and then jumps on the track or on the open road and flys.....

dangerous
5th April 2004, 21:38
Hmmm - it isn't about having a accident per'se - it is about what you are having the accident with. I would rather tell I farmer I killed his sheep (assuming I can) than tell a mum I killed her 2 year daughter who ran out to get a ball.

True.....Hay not to many of us would be riding if we couldent break a hundy on the open rd.
Shit I do it but these days I try to kept it at 110 when touring....but when fanging it hard (which isent that often these days frigen pigs) I could hit well over 200, but only when the time fells right :shit:

mangell6
5th April 2004, 21:41
The ad with the two vehicles at differents speeds is impressive, a bit daft, but gets te point across. NOW Top Gear last night had a French vehicle T-bone a vehicle at 30mph. The only protective gear that the driver was wearing was driving gloves. He was shaken and did not have a scratch on him, nothing. They opened the drivers door, he unbuckled the belt and got out.

That was impressive as was the other numerous examples of "unsafe" vehicles.

I laughed when I read that the person on the bike had turned into a no exit road.

speedpro
5th April 2004, 21:42
The excessiveness of the speed is determined by location and time. 70K on the NW m'way at 8am on Mon morning would be dodgy, 170K at 3:30am the same day would be sweet. 202K is well within the design parameters of certain bikes and reasonably safe in certain hands on a lot of roads. If you do a runner you need to know exactly where you are going and be real confident you're gonna make it. In a previous life I've been ticketed heaps and done a runner a few times. I still speed in the suburbs by varying amounts depending on likelihood of things like getting pinged, errant drivers, kids etc. Those ads where the kid pops out from behind the car only to get bowled by a car doing 65K or whatever make me laugh. What if the car had been doing 45K and the kid popped out 1.34s later, would that make it any better?? If the car had been doing 120K it would have been well past. The message here should be to keep alert to the signs that a kid mght be waiting to pop out, and slow down and be prepared to stop, and I don't mean slow down to 50K, I mean slow down to whatever speed is required to enable you to stop IF that kid was there. There is also a message for the parents of those kids running onto the road. What happened to teaching road sence? Where is the supervision to ensure the kids are playing safely?
Also, NOT every 50K road is teeming with kids getting ready to leap out and get run over, example being Neilson Street in Onehunga. I drive it regularly and traffic commonly does 80K (or 5.2KMH). 120K might be a bit excessive though.

I see definite evidence that the LTSA propoganda re the demon "speed" is getting through, even amongst the self-styled fast brigade. I say "get over it", unless you saw the incident in question.

k14
5th April 2004, 22:19
I think all of these posts can be summed up by judging the risk of speeding accurately.

When i did my defensive driving course, that was a big issue. Everytime you go out on the road you take risks. The way in which you assess these risks affects if you come home at night or end up in a body bag.

When speeding, the rider has to assess the risk involved in speeding, what are the chances of xxx happening etc.

It is strange that people look at the 100kph speedlimit as the be all and end all. If you stay below this you are protected with special powers and will never have an accident. When you go over this, instantly you go into the "death zone" and they like to have you think you die the minute you go in to that zone.

Speeding is alright at the appropriate moment. You just have to take into account the drunk coming home from the pub swerving in and out of their lane, and the family with kids arguing in the back seat distracting the driver, etc.

I agree that 120kph in a 50 is stupid, but also 150 in a 100 is equally stupid. But i admit i have been up to and beyone that (the 150 in 100 that is) and am alive to prove it, but still is very risky.

I think the biggest problem to this is the nazi attitude by the nz police towards speeding. If they just relaxed a little i reckon the problem would decrease just because the risks people would have to take (e.g. passing etc) would be a little less and there would be more happy drivers out there.

Just my 2c anyway :banana:

spudchucka
5th April 2004, 22:31
Lou
Lou
The Top Gear show was intersting all right. Reaction times and skill are variables that are subjective to each road user and can't be factored into the equation because of the wide variance. The LTSA ads as I see them suggest that the results indicate the variation in impact damage are independant of these variables. Its saying that if all things are equal and the only diffeence is the speed then this is the net result.

spudchucka
5th April 2004, 22:37
I wonder how many bikers have been decapitated by a No: 8 wire and batten fence over the years. Probably happens just after hitting a stray sheep at 200kph.

Lou Girardin
6th April 2004, 06:50
Spud, things are never equal nor are drivers.
The Top Gear crash was a bit of a fudge though. A 'T bone' is the least severe type of accident as far as frontal impact goes. I would liked to have seen a head on into the stationary car.
Lou

spudchucka
6th April 2004, 07:48
Spud, things are never equal nor are drivers.
Lou

And thats why we will always have road laws that pander to the lowest common denominator.

The Top Gear crash was a bit of a fudge though. A 'T bone' is the least severe type of accident as far as frontal impact goes. I would liked to have seen a head on into the stationary car.

I didn't see the actual T-Bone crash but did see the controlled test crash results. That was done at 40mph into a deformable concrete wall, which is fine and dandy but from what I've seen they all come apart pretty much the same once the warp factor increases and the smack into cars coming the other way.

jimbo600
6th April 2004, 07:54
I wonder how many bikers have been decapitated by a No: 8 wire and batten fence over the years. Probably happens just after hitting a stray sheep at 200kph.

Keep going spud. I wonder how many bikers have been decapitated by crap wire acting as a crash barrier (AKA Haywards Hill) while adhereing to the speed limit. That wire is banned in Europe because it's so fatal to bikes. And the LTSA Transit etc pump us with rhetoric about safety. To coin a phrase from the Tui ads...........yeah right.

Also the HP in their wisdom caused traffic chaos yesterday by employing typically heavy handed enforcement on SH2 just out of Wellington. Going from 100 - 30 kph because of tailbacks is pretty crap and dangerous in my opinion. Also Mr HP on a bike was lane splitting in the emergency lane in this chaos to catch up with his mate who just pulled someone over. No lights, no siren, just double standards my friend. If I had a bit more time I would have stopped my car and demanded an explanation.

spudchucka
6th April 2004, 08:24
Keep going spud. I wonder how many bikers have been decapitated by crap wire acting as a crash barrier (AKA Haywards Hill) while adhereing to the speed limit. That wire is banned in Europe because it's so fatal to bikes. And the LTSA Transit etc pump us with rhetoric about safety. To coin a phrase from the Tui ads...........yeah right.

I don't know about the Haywards because I don't ride down that way. Sorry but I don't quite understand what your point is. Wire is dangerous to bikers, yes. Pretty much every country road is lined with the stuff, yes. Therefore hitting a sheep or just plain old falling off your bike on country roads can be inherently dangerous. I can't see every farmer in NZ changing their fences to make them safer for bikers but I agree that local bodies should look at safety barriers that use wire as part of the barrier. Bottom line is all road users should be aware of the risks and drive appropriately.

Also the HP in their wisdom caused traffic chaos yesterday by employing typically heavy handed enforcement on SH2 just out of Wellington. Going from 100 - 30 kph because of tailbacks is pretty crap and dangerous in my opinion. Also Mr HP on a bike was lane splitting in the emergency lane in this chaos to catch up with his mate who just pulled someone over. No lights, no siren, just double standards my friend. If I had a bit more time I would have stopped my car and demanded an explanation.

You'll get no arguement from me, I hate this crap too. I've no problem with them policing behaviour and dangerous vehicles but hunting in packs like that in peak traffic cause more problems than it prevents. What were they actually doing, check points or just pulling over all and sundry??

SPman
6th April 2004, 08:41
The stats were phenomenal.....they basically said that the braking the car isn't the issue with ABS these days - it is the reaction time (or lack of it) that kills you.

1 sec reaction time at 100kph means you have travelled 30m before you even notice something is wrong.....let alone put your foot on the brake.
Which, among other things, brings up the issue of cars (and bikes) travelling right up each others dates at 120k on the motorway (and elsewhere).

2 sec rule....more like 0.2 sec rule!:confused2

riffer
6th April 2004, 08:42
I don't know about the Haywards because I don't ride down that way
Haywards is interesting coming over the crest from Porirua going to Hutt Valley. The cambers on the corners just don't quite feel right, and the road surface doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

From experience I have found that you come over the crest (there's a passing lane just before where everyone speeds right up) at 100-120 if there's no other vehicles around, faster if there are because everyone considers that overtaking lane their own private racetrack and on a bike it's quite intimidating.

There's the cheesecutters all the way down along the centreline and the left hand side falls away to the side where there is a turnoff to the Power station. There's always gravel across the road and cars and trucks pull out in front of you often without looking. If you slow down you end up with an irate cage driver behind you.

I find its a real tricky balancing act - the road camber wants to to pull left, the road surface feels like you tyres don't have enough grip, the chees cutters look nasty and there's always some arsehole on your back - I really tend to ride on a hair trigger throttle down that bit.

And you get down to the near bottom and there's gravel across the road, trucks parked on the side of the road, etc etc....

But there's also a lovely tight left hand sweeper heading towards Upper Hutt and if you time it just right (2nd gear) and there's no cars coming you can scrape your knee/foot on the left inside and power up large (free turn onto motorway) and feel that front wheel coming up as you hit the motorway.

The rest of the hill is fun though - especially the roads leading on to it.

Still, I wonder if I'd rather have the cheese cutters than no barrier at all. Growing up in Stokes Valley in the 1970s and 1980s we used to have so many crashes that we could just about look out the window (Holborn Dr) across the river and see the cars hitting each other ....

duckman
6th April 2004, 10:06
Bloody kids shouldn't be playing on the road! Where are it's parents ??

** Ducks and runs for cover ** :D

duckman
6th April 2004, 10:18
Now Kids, this is about speeding, not Bickering!!! :shake:

jimbo600
6th April 2004, 10:22
I don't know about the Haywards because I don't ride down that way. Sorry but I don't quite understand what your point is. Wire is dangerous to bikers, yes. Pretty much every country road is lined with the stuff, yes. Therefore hitting a sheep or just plain old falling off your bike on country roads can be inherently dangerous. I can't see every farmer in NZ changing their fences to make them safer for bikers but I agree that local bodies should look at safety barriers that use wire as part of the barrier. Bottom line is all road users should be aware of the risks and drive appropriately.

I would prefer to see barriers like the ones used near McKays crossing near Paraparaumu. If LTSA spout about it all being road safety then there should be consistency shown throughout.

You'll get no arguement from me, I hate this crap too. I've no problem with them policing behaviour and dangerous vehicles but hunting in packs like that in peak traffic cause more problems than it prevents. What were they actually doing, check points or just pulling over all and sundry??

Pulling all and sundry.

spudchucka
6th April 2004, 10:48
Pulling all and sundry.
Agreed, unecessary and over the top. Theres nothing wrong with high profile and highly visible road policing, just their presence is usualy enough to modify behaviour.

spudchucka
6th April 2004, 10:51
Bloody kids shouldn't be playing on the road! Where are it's parents ??:D

True but a parent can't watch their child 24 / 7. There are always the unpredictable times when the little buggers get away from you.

I can imagine nothing harder to live with than the knowledge that you killed a kid because of your carelessness on the road.

Motoracer
6th April 2004, 11:07
I must admit, after Zed's comment, I feel a bit guilty. I make silly mistakes as well but over all (98% of the time) I stick within the margin of 10k over the stated speed limit. I understand that it could all go wrong within that 2% of the time, so I try my best to be good all the time but I am not perfect.

duckman
6th April 2004, 11:13
True but a parent can't watch their child 24 / 7. There are always the unpredictable times when the little buggers get away from you.

I can imagine nothing harder to live with than the knowledge that you killed a kid because of your carelessness on the road.
Come on ..I'm sure you can imagine something worse than that... How about wiping out an entire day care centre while on a 'P' frenzy ?? :eek5:

riffer
6th April 2004, 11:55
Agreed, unecessary and over the top. Theres nothing wrong with high profile and highly visible road policing, just their presence is usualy enough to modify behaviour.
Exactly Spud. And the only possible explanation I can think of for this behaviour is that speeds have gone up since they finished resurfacing the road.

For the last four weeks Wellingtonians have had to put up with endless delays as they resurfaced the road. Traffic has been down to stopped or under 20km/hr for most of the motorway. They finished it last week, so I guess its possible that speeds have been going up a bit as we come to grips with a lovely new surface on the road.

Can't have uncongested roads now can we. Just not safe having the traffic flowing smoothly :rolleyes: The traffic was still hideous at 6.15 pm last night though I didn't see any cops so they must have created an enormous tailback...

Shawn
6th April 2004, 12:52
I'm sorry, but only a complete twat does 120 in a 50
I make no appology for my abusive reply..

needless to say fuckwits like you with your casual attitude to ressie speeding piss me off no end

Wow…guys…too much name calling!!...you guys don’t even know me, so stop judging me….not that friendly blocks, are you?...

Hey WK…listen, Im sorry to hear what happened to you when you were 7, but don’t you think you are kinda taking it over the edge? You are alive, riding a fast bike and calling ppl names all over the place…seems like you are pretty happy with your life, so stop fricken acting like a sissy. I didn’t run over you…so don’t try to get me for it. Get over it.

If you guys wanna grab every chance you get to ridicule ppl, being a big fat hypocrite as you are, then go ahead, specially in a forum when it doesn’t take any guts to say any kinda shit to anyone. Same goes for Fazer Block and couple of other guys…Coz I think you guys are being just a cynical basterd . When you speed, doesn’t matter where, doesn’t matter how much over the speed limit you always put other ppls life endanger, less or more. Doesn’t matter if you hit a 7 years old or a grown up. So if you guys could be as honest as me, then I bet all you guys would be guilty of the same crime.

120kin a 50K is bad, no doubt about it. Like I said I don’t do it everyday and Im not proud of it. But I did do it and Im not ashamed to admit it. As you said WK, “'self-acclaimed' 120 in a 50 zone”…the main point I was mentioning this for, cop not giving me a ticket. NO, I wasn’t pissing in the wind.

Now I hate bitching and moaning in the thread sitting in front of my comp. I have better things to do, unlike some ppl on here. Also I don’t think just coz you are saying F words 3 times in a line and calling ppl names and all, your point is better established. You can say the same thing without.

So if you guys are PMSING, go ahead Im done PERIOD

speedpro
6th April 2004, 13:30
Traffic has been down to stopped or under 20km/hr for most of the motorway....
20km/hr - positively flying on the NW motorway in a car :sleep: )

riffer
6th April 2004, 13:35
20km/hr - positively flying on the NW motorway in a car :sleep: )
Why do you think I have a bike? :laugh: Takes me 25 minutes from the National Library to the Whakatiki Rd turnoff in rush hour.

If you ask me you're mad taking a cage on the motorway in rush hour...

wkid_one
6th April 2004, 14:46
Wow…guys…too much name calling!!...you guys don’t even know me, so stop judging me….not that friendly blocks, are you?...

Hey WK…listen, Im sorry to hear what happened to you when you were 7, but don’t you think you are kinda taking it over the edge? You are alive, riding a fast bike and calling ppl names all over the place…seems like you are pretty happy with your life, so stop fricken acting like a sissy. I didn’t run over you…so don’t try to get me for it. Get over it.

If you guys wanna grab every chance you get to ridicule ppl, being a big fat hypocrite as you are, then go ahead, specially in a forum when it doesn’t take any guts to say any kinda shit to anyone. Same goes for Fazer Block and couple of other guys…Coz I think you guys are being just a cynical basterd . When you speed, doesn’t matter where, doesn’t matter how much over the speed limit you always put other ppls life endanger, less or more. Doesn’t matter if you hit a 7 years old or a grown up. So if you guys could be as honest as me, then I bet all you guys would be guilty of the same crime.

120kin a 50K is bad, no doubt about it. Like I said I don’t do it everyday and Im not proud of it. But I did do it and Im not ashamed to admit it. As you said WK, “'self-acclaimed' 120 in a 50 zone”…the main point I was mentioning this for, cop not giving me a ticket. NO, I wasn’t pissing in the wind.

Now I hate bitching and moaning in the thread sitting in front of my comp. I have better things to do, unlike some ppl on here. Also I don’t think just coz you are saying F words 3 times in a line and calling ppl names and all, your point is better established. You can say the same thing without.

So if you guys are PMSING, go ahead Im done PERIOD
Don't get me wrong - I am not ridiculing you - I am calling you a fucken stupid idiot for doing 120 in a 50 zone.

Once you have dealt with the aftermath - you will know why. Besides my incident -a very close friend of mine ran a kid over doing 75 in a 50 zone - killed the kid and for the last 8 years has had to live with the guilt of doing it - along with the legal issues that followed.

I won't get over it - as it is people like you with a 'so what I didn't hurt anyone' attitude that give bike riders a bad name and necessitate the law to consider residential speed limit drops to 40kph. It only takes ONE TIME to cock yours and another families life up. Why take the risk?

I have honestly stated I don't speed in 50 zones - full stop. I have seen and been involved in what happens when you do. Not nice, not pretty, not worth getting to where you want to go 2 mins quicker.

You opened pandoras box not by admitting to the speed - but by the casual manner in which you did it.....and your cavalier attitude to it - and it wasn't until people criticised you that you start playing it down.

Unfortunately - you made your bed/reap what you sew.

My only hope is you bin and kill yourself and no one else.
As for swearing - it is who I am - why change it because I am online.

wkid_one
6th April 2004, 14:48
You riding a fast bike

PS - IF only

vifferman
6th April 2004, 16:17
Hey this has been a good thread. If nothing else, it's really made me examine my attitudes, like speeding because I feel like it, including in 50k zones. Yes, I *do* have kids (3), and yes, I am a hypocrite, because I speed in the area I live in, but it pisses me off when I see other people doing it: "Hey! Go speed somewhere else - there's kids living around here!"

But then again, I don't speed very much; the fastest I've been in our street is 130. Oops. My bad... Please forgive me KiwiBikers, for I have sinned, and given all you more law-abiding bikers a bad name. :weep:

With Easter coming up soon, I'm certainly going to check my attitude before setting off on the highway. In the car. With the kids and wife. But I guess there'll be no speeding, owing to the ridiculous mass exodus from D'Auckland...

Lou Girardin
6th April 2004, 21:01
"When you speed, doesn’t matter where, doesn’t matter how much over the speed limit you always put other ppls life endanger, less or more. I bet all you guys would be guilty of the same crime."

An assumption based on no evidence.

"But I did do it and Im not ashamed to admit it." PERIOD

You should be, then you'll learn.

Lou

festus
7th April 2004, 13:10
Someone admits doing 120 in a 50k zone, and he's crucified by all!. I refuse to believe anyone, who has riden a reasonably powerful motorcycle, has not opened it up in an urban area!. And when you give a powerful bike a handful, like you do every so often, you're doing 100+kph in a split second!.
If you refute that, your a bloody liar!, or a pussy rider!.
I'm not ashamed to admit it either, been there done!. you can shoot me down in flames too, I don't give a shit, but it pisses me off when some of you hypocrites put the guilt trip on someone when you know deep down that you've done exactly the same at least once in the past too!.

White trash
7th April 2004, 13:29
Good point :niceone:

Sorry young fella! I would point out, however that my attitude to speeding in 50 kph zones has changed since having kids.

I may have done it earlier but if I can discourage 1 person from doing it and possibly destroying their own life through hitting an innocent child, then it's objective acheived!

750Y
7th April 2004, 14:01
At castlepoint, I had a girl(6-8 yrs old?) on a bicycle fly out from behind a fence down from her driveway onto the road directly into my path. i lost sight of her below the bonnet of my kingswood as I swerved like crazy, and somehow I managed to avoid her. my mates were all yelling ohhhhhhh. the girl was oblivious & carried on riding along the roadside. I wasn't speeding but i'd have to wear a huge burden the rest of my life and the parent's woulda been completely devastated. i wouldn't wish that on anyone. just be careful. and parents, watch those kids.

Angry Puppy
7th April 2004, 14:17
...If you refute that, your a bloody liar!, or a pussy rider!....some of you hypocrites.........

I can live with being called a pussy. Could you live with yourself if you ended another's life just because you were late for a class (or whatever)?

Hypocrite? whatever! Never have speeded in a 50 KPH, never will. Whether you beleive that is your porogative(?).

Oh and on the subject of name calling, I'm just calling it as I see it.

Fazer Bloke

Angry Puppy
7th April 2004, 14:21
Oh! and before any of the PC queens jump back in with the "now, now, don't be like that", this is a heater discussion, not a verbal bitch-fight. I'll still love you guys in the morning! :bleh:

Fazer Bloke

sparrow_34
7th April 2004, 14:46
wicked_one, how would you feel if you had been injured as a kid, say as a passenger in a car that was hit by a car/bike being driven/ridden well over the open road speed limit that lost control or ran wide around a corner etc?

I think if you get pissed with speeding in residential areas, you should get as pissed with the same thing on the open road.

duckman
7th April 2004, 14:50
Oh! and before any of the PC queens jump back in with the "now, now, don't be like that", this is a heater discussion, not a verbal bitch-fight. I'll still love you guys in the morning! :bleh:

Fazer Bloke
Awwww Fazer Bloke .... It's nice to know you care :eek:

wkid_one
7th April 2004, 17:11
this is a heater discussion,
Fuck - I thought we were talking about speeding.

Oh well here goes - I prefer the Air Con/Heating units as they are better both in summer and winter. We just had one installed - a bit pricey - but worth the money

wkid_one
7th April 2004, 17:13
If you refute that, your a bloody liar!, or a pussy rider!.

Or a responsible rider. Talk for yourself - as hand on heart - I leave my speeding to where I am likely to kill myself only. Any hero can speed in a residential street. But 120kph - come on - talk about excessive. 60-70kph - yes slip of the hand - 120 - fuck off - intentional hooliganism.....

merv
7th April 2004, 19:03
Or a responsible rider. Talk for yourself - as hand on heart - I leave my speeding to where I am likely to kill myself only.

So highsiding on the 'tukas there was absolutely no chance your bike might have hit an innocent going the other way? Yeah right!!!

wkid_one
7th April 2004, 19:40
So highsiding on the 'tukas there was absolutely no chance your bike might have hit an innocent going the other way? Yeah right!!!
To comment on this from a factual perspective Merv - I was well under the speed limit - in fact doing 70kph max - and I hit diesel - hardly a comparison to what we are talking about.

I was not being an idiot at the time, was well within the limits of the law (hence I got no conviction/fine etc when questioned by the law), within the limits of the conditions - apart from not spying the diesel.

Are we not talking about people being idiots on the road? This was purely a mishap rather than as a result of 'boy-racerism' on the road.

If you are going to make comparisons - at least get your facts right and compare apples with apples...this was just a pointless, aimless and ill-informed dig. Read the whole thread - get the gist of it - them comment - and you may have something intelligent to contribute.

Back to the thread

I am making reference to people taking stupid risks with other peoples lives. Yes, speeding on the open road is dangerous - however people expect you to be travelling fast here. In a residential street - people do not expect you to be travelling at 120kph.

On the open road - you are less likely to encounter random children crossing the road on a whim or fancy. Open road are designed to be travelled faster along. There are limited schools, kindergartens, diaries, house driveways etc on the open road for this very reason. Residential streets are not designed for speed.

Don't compare speeding on the open road with residential streets. Yes - speeding on the open roads is stupid ra ra ra....however you are 'generally' toying with your own life. I tended to speed in situations where I wasn't surrounded by other traffic - as it appears do most riders on here.

Yes, I hit some high terminal velocities - however, as most of the people who have ridden with me will attest - my average speed on the open road is only 120-130max - I prefer corners rather than speed. When I did let the throttle out - it was on extremely deserted back roads....like the Flood Gates at East West Access where you can see for Africa.

Yes - there is still a possibility of killing someone else other than yourself on the open road when speeding - however - these chances increase exponentially when you do it in a residential street as it is all about expected behaviour. People act on the basis of what they expect other people to be doing - we make assumptions.

There is NOTHING cool about speeding in residential streets.....anyone can do it. You are not a hero for doing it, nor are you anything special - in fact the contrary.

As per the comments from Festus. I disagree entirely - it takes a smart rider to pick the situations to speed - it is about license and life preservation. Why say you are not ashamed about speeding in a residential area. All this proves is you are no better than the 'boy racers' we are whinging about in another thread - just on 2 wheels instead of 4.

Way to go.....

wkid_one
7th April 2004, 20:02
wicked_one, how would you feel if you had been injured as a kid, say as a passenger in a car that was hit by a car/bike being driven/ridden well over the open road speed limit that lost control or ran wide around a corner etc?

I think if you get pissed with speeding in residential areas, you should get as pissed with the same thing on the open road.Fucken oath I would be pissed. Damn skippy no question.

Running wide around a corner - I would be pissed yes as obviously the rider/driver was well outside their limits.
Well outside the legal road limit - I would be pissed - because they were obviously careless enough to either get outside their skill level - or chose the wrong situation - or both.

A question for you......if you are driving a car - you are on the road knowing all the risks? You will see things happen and generally have some chance to react/avoid/minimise.

However - if you are a kid, in a residential street - you don't know the road rules - and more often than not - depend on the driver/rider to avoid YOU. Also - you as a 3 year old kid are used to seeing cars travelling at 50kph - so you gauge when to cross on this basis - you don't expect traffic to be travelling at 120kph. How good are you are avoiding objects at 120kph? You wouldn't even be able to move 1m to the side in time.

Look at the accidents in NZ caused to Pedestrians - and caused at intersections - and tell me it is safe to speed in 50kph zones.

You would be a fucken idiot to do it.....we always talk about peoples inability to drive properly - look at the NZ Drivers Challenge - the public got less than 50%. You want to condone speeding where these people have hundreds of driveways and intersections where you can 'interact' with them.

More luck to you - my only hope if the theory of Darwinism will come in to affect and clense the gene pool a little further

dangerous
7th April 2004, 21:22
Fact ..... In 2003 more pedestrians were killed than motorcycles.....My question is why dont they pay the high ACC fees????

jimbo600
7th April 2004, 21:34
Beacause it's easier to piss off the minority motorists. Less flack for the idiots in the beehive.

Lou Girardin
8th April 2004, 06:56
To comment on this from a factual perspective Merv - I was well under the speed limit - in fact doing 70kph max - and I hit diesel - hardly a comparison to what we are talking about.

Strictly speaking, you were breaking the law. Unable to stop in the clear distance of road ahead. Stupid law, designed as a catch all. But there you go.
Lou

wkid_one
8th April 2004, 07:58
Strictly speaking, you were breaking the law. Unable to stop in the clear distance of road ahead. Stupid law, designed as a catch all. But there you go.
Lou
Nope - technically I wasn't - the cop acknowledged the diesel on the road - and I was exonerated from fault of the accident.

festus
8th April 2004, 08:14
First wkid one!, No one here is condoning 120k in a 50k zone!, I stated I’m not ashamed to admit I’ve done this speed before!. The likes of yourself and others jump up & down, abuse and shoot off at the mouth your disgust knowing full bloody well you’ve been there and done that!.
Second, the old “diesel” excuse!. Wkid One was not within the limits of your riding skills by the sounds of it dude!. Best you keep to the speed limit on the open road too mate!.
You brag about your fearlessness on the open road when it comes to access speed, so in my opinion contradict everything you’ve said. What difference is 170+ on the open road in comparison to 120 in a 50k zone!. None!. Some will say 170+ on the open road is acting like an idiot too mate!!.
I can’t get over the fact you deny doing excessive speeds in a city street dude!. Unless you have an “L” plate or haven’t been riding for long?, or maybe it’s because you have’nt owned a decent bike yet?. Get off your high horse man!. I don’t condone it, my argument is I’ve done it!, and so has almost everybody else here (with the exception of you apparently)!.

wkid_one
8th April 2004, 08:30
First wkid one!, No one here is condoning 120k in a 50k zone!, I stated I’m not ashamed to admit I’ve done this speed before!. The likes of yourself and others jump up & down, abuse and shoot off at the mouth your disgust knowing full bloody well you’ve been there and done that!.
Second, the old “diesel” excuse!. Wkid One was not within the limits of your riding skills by the sounds of it dude!. Best you keep to the speed limit on the open road too mate!.
You brag about your fearlessness on the open road when it comes to access speed, so in my opinion contradict everything you’ve said. What difference is 170+ on the open road in comparison to 120 in a 50k zone!. None!. Some will say 170+ on the open road is acting like an idiot too mate!!.
I can’t get over the fact you deny doing excessive speeds in a city street dude!. Unless you have an “L” plate or haven’t been riding for long?, or maybe it’s because you have’nt owned a decent bike yet?. Get off your high horse man!. I don’t condone it, my argument is I’ve done it!, and so has almost everybody else here (with the exception of you apparently)!.Oh sorry oh speeding god...you are righteous and i am a mere sinner.....

You are soooo right......but who cares....

As I said and will keep saying - you are a fuckwit for speeding in a residential zone. No I am not on an L Plate and I owned an R1. The difference is - I had will power rather than some boyish ideal about biking in built up areas.

Line up a bunch of non-riders and ask em what is worse...120 in a 50zone, or 170 on the open road - the answer is moot because we all know what the answer will be....

I have never said speeding on the open road is safe or not being an idiot - read my thread about my terminal velocity - I even commented that it was idiotic. I am saying speeding in a 50zone is stupidly unsafe.

As for the diesel - do you want pictures - I have heaps....I have a police report confirming the diesel - I don't seem to recall you were there tho?? Strange - obivously talking out a hole in your **** here trying to take a personal dig.

Keep being a hero Festus - AS JR said in the Boyracer thread --- you are doing wonders to enhance the negative image of bikers...you are also supporting all the positive action the government is taking about speeding. Bravo you are my hero ( note: this is dripping with sarcasm and followed by cock said under my breathe)

merv
8th April 2004, 08:44
Man you're touchy Wkid.

Remember this?

-and I can't make myself the promise that I will ride safely, it is my nature to push the limits - this time I pushed too far and got away with it, next time who knows.  I knew it was going to happen and made a pact with myself that I would give up if it was serious and I class lying on a CT Tray serious enuf.   If I do get back in to bikes it will be strictly at the track - if at all.  I enjoyed it while it lasted - time for a new challenge.

The scary thing is that I wasn't even pushing the bike - people that have ridden with me up the hill will attest I normally ride up there at 11/10ths.  I was doodling up the hill and still came a cropper......I was honestly luck I had my knee down to a degree - coz had I lower sided I would have slid straight into the oncoming traffic.  All I remember is the bike sliding and thinking - FARKKKKKKKKK keep the throttle open.

Normally riding 11/10ths and treating it as a challenge, I guess the rest of us should be pleased you retired from higwhay use.

wkid_one
8th April 2004, 08:56
This is all offtopic - skip if you don't want to read

Yup I do remember that. I even referred to the fact my accident was not at speed, nor pushing the bike.

Critical to this is the wording - limits. I have always said I pushed my limits - in order to improve my riding....this is relative to myself however - not the law. 11/10th refers to my boundaries....not the law....I can be at 11/10 going around a 30kph right hander at 40.....coz I hate right handers. I can be at 11/10 going 5m past my normal braking point. Doesn't mean I am being illegal....

I will continue to push my limits on the racebike - I gave up road riding as this is a more controlled situation to do it.

Is this not the sensible thing to do - realise you are at risk - and go to a more controlled situation/area to do what you want to do???? I am not practising what I preach here....if you want to speed - go to a track....I am doing this.

My only point has been - speeding in a 50 zone is stupidly blindly and recklessly unwarranted. Yes I rode hard......but very few kids/pets/reversing cars/people crossing the road????

festus
8th April 2004, 09:04
Wkid, it sounds like your horse bucked you off, and you haven't got the balls to get back on. Best you keep venting your frustration on this website eh!.

wkid_one
8th April 2004, 09:06
Wkid, it sounds like your horse bucked you off, and you haven't got the balls to get back on. Best you keep venting your frustration on this website eh!.
Once again Festus you didn't read my post....I am back on - just not on the road.....:banana: You do actually read the post - or just look at who is posting so you can contribute worthless tidbits of illinformed dribble?

festus
8th April 2004, 09:23
Whatever.........I've said what I want to say. End of subject.

SPman
8th April 2004, 10:02
Whatever.........I've said what I want to say. End of subject. So what have we all learned from this? (apart from nothing)
- if you,re chased by the cops in xs of 200k, dont turn up a no exit rd!
- WKid has learnt the errors of his ways and rescinded his hooliganish road behaviour to take out his experimentation on the track (so he says) - very commendable, but in doing so has become a born again non road hooligan ;)
- doing 170 in a 50 k zone puts you morally on a par with Hannibal Lecter. (120 was merely small fry stuff - the 170 I did was obviously inhuman - I'll go to the corner for a good scourging - it is Easter!, hand in my license and never darken humanity's doorstep again!) :finger:

- people get real upset when you mention kids,(not old people, notice that) road, suburbs,50k areas, exceeding 20k! Yes, we love our kids, but not every 50k road is an oasis of trees, hazards, thriving child activity on road as well as off!

So lets just be totally responsible for our own actions and take into consideration the lives and safety of those around us, wherever we may be, which is what we are meant to be doing anyway. Thats what the law is trying to do, clumsy as it is!

Motoracer
8th April 2004, 10:06
Well summed up

wkid_one
8th April 2004, 11:58
- WKid has learnt the errors of his ways and rescinded his hooliganish road behaviour to take out his experimentation on the track (so he says) - very commendable, but in doing so has become a born again non road hooligan ;)

Not quite :shutup: :shutup: just not in fiddy zones.