PDA

View Full Version : OE/After market brake discs

bungbung
5th April 2004, 16:38
My VTR discs are warped. My options:

a) New OE honda discs $500 ea
b) New EBC discs $350 ea
c) New disc added to old carrier $300 ea
d) Second hand discs from a wrecker ? can't find any yet.

Does anyone have any experience with options b) or c)?

These seem to be my best option at the moment.

I'd appreciate any info you can provide.

White trash
5th April 2004, 16:39
For the sake of 50 bucks I'd go with option B.

Order the discs, when they arrive, whack 'em on! Simple :niceone:

riffer
5th April 2004, 16:46
I mentioned these the other day. Dunno about them, but you could talk to the guy if you want (his email is in his profile):

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbike-Parts/0001-0026-0135-/auction-10189523.htm

Also supporting New Zealand motorcycle industry too :)

wkid_one
5th April 2004, 17:22
Try OS first - may be cheaper.

bungbung
6th April 2004, 16:41
I have ordered EBC Pro lite discs and HH sintered pads for a total of $760 nzd including shipping. (onlineparts.com in USA) I might have to pay GST to customs on top of that, although I have never seen a bill from the other stuff I've bought...

fingers crossed :soon:

Maido
6th April 2004, 23:05
I had the iron and anadized EBC floating rotors, i brought them off ebay for 400$$NZ (bargin of the century!!) they were in pristene condition.
I had brought them knowing that there was a rumour about the rivets sticking with brake dust build up. I ran them with HH race pads, at this stage i should say it was on a GP bike that was only for racing. to be honest i havent had anything better to compare them against but I found them excellent for race application, ie/ when they were at a constant heat range, they don't work so well initially when cold, which would make nme hesatant to use them on the road, the better option would be to go for a road specific rotor. The feel is excellent and they pull up the bike super good.
I think you have made a good choice. (except for the price!!!)

bungbung
8th April 2004, 12:52
... I ran them with HH race pads...

Err, hopefully mine aren't race pads

Product ID: FA187
Product Name: EBC FRONT BRAKE PADS
Attributes: VTR1000F (97-03), SINTERED METAL HH

Best I check with EBC.

Cheers Maido.

bungbung
8th April 2004, 13:41
EBC Brakes:

GFA Race Sintered Metal Pads

Overview
GFA series pads come with super-hard backing plates and vented, compact construction to prevent backplate bending during extreme use
Design produces a firmer brake lever and eliminates pad drag under race use
Superb feel and outstanding performance along with good durability
For track use ONLY

<b>Maido, do you mean these race pads?</b>

By the way, Victorian Motorcyle Wreckers in Australia replied to my query. They have used VTR discs, AUD$265 each! Thanks, but no.

bungbung
21st April 2004, 13:26
Hooray! my goodies have arrived from the US. I fitted the discs and pads last night, and had already installed tapered roller head bearings.

Wow, what a difference. I went for a quick blat of about 70kms. Once the coating on the discs had worn off, even cold the new setup has more initial bite and the lever travels less before braking begins. I like it.

Handling feels a bit odd with the new head bearings, I think the old setup was binding a little, so now the steering feels a little twitchy.

I'm sure I'll get used to it.