PDA

View Full Version : Help! FZR400 (1WG) problems

slob
5th April 2004, 18:10
Hey people,

Any FZR owners out there who've had the following problem?

On starting up, the engine sort of turns over (in a jerky sputtering way) while throttle is held slightly open, but won't idle or rev higher than 1000-1500 rpm. The bike's been back from 2nd visit to mechanic (for this prob) for only 3 weeks now and its reoccurring. Had the carbs totally overhauled and got new plugs.

I had thought that the oldish air filter might have been richening up the mixture and fouling the plugs so I changed the filter and cleaned out the plugs (they were a bit sooty and oily), but it doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Any suggestions? PS: I'm on the lookout for a FZR600/YZF600 engine too (with all the attached bits).

Drew
17th April 2004, 16:32
I would suggest you ring the mechanic, and tell him to sort his shit out. If he has had it twice, and it is still happening, surely he is obliged to fix, free of charge.
Failing that, check that all four plugs are fireing, were all four plugs all sooted up the same, or were some worse than others?
Sorry I can't offer any more help than that.
Good luck.

FROSTY
17th April 2004, 19:44
one suggestion here dude.Try connecting a car battery to your battery and use the same startup. It may have low voltage -

slob
19th April 2004, 08:08
Thanks for the help + advice guys. I suspect the plugs may need replacing (or at least a regap). My theory is that my old air filter caused the plugs to foul up, so now that I've got a new filter, I guess I've got to sort out the plugs.

As for the mechanic, well I've kind of lost faith in his abilities + the problem only arose 3 weeks after getting it back, so I figured I'd sort it out myself..:)