PDA

View Full Version : Rust Proofing an Exhaust

blitz
23rd February 2006, 09:02
Hi there.

I am considering protecting my exhaust a lil better by applying some rust proof paint or whatever you need to apply. Can anyone recommend what products i should use etc.

And im about to change the brake pads, fuel filter and spark plug on the lil old SJ50 before i consider selling it. Has anyone else done these on a SJ50? Any tips would be helpfull.

Cheers!!

SimJen
23rd February 2006, 09:07
Get it HPC coated, quite reasonable and will last well.
Coby shops can usually get it done.

slob
23rd February 2006, 16:23
I use some heat-resistant paint that I bought at Repco. I can't remember the name right now, but it comes in an aerosol can (metallic brown can with pic of an engine on it) and can be found alongside the regular paints. For prepping the pipes, I just sand them lightly with 800 or 1000 grit paper and wipe the dust off with a turp-soaked rag.

nadroj
23rd February 2006, 16:42
I use some heat-resistant paint that I bought at Repco. I can't remember the name right now, but it comes in an aerosol can (metallic brown can with pic of an engine on it) and can be found alongside the regular paints. For prepping the pipes, I just sand them lightly with 800 or 1000 grit paper and wipe the dust off with a turp-soaked rag.
VHT high temperature paint.

MrMelon
23rd February 2006, 17:02
I've heard por15 heat resistant paint is all good for this but haven't tried it. About to use some of their rust stop paint to paint a couple of the rusty bits on the street magic though.

www.por15.co.nz

ajturbo
23rd February 2006, 17:44
take it off... put it in the shed.... then put on straight pipes... that way they will never rust as you will not use them... that is the only sure way to protect them....:lol:

smokeyging
23rd February 2006, 18:14
If the pipes aren’t too badly rusted try two-stroke oil in the pipes, some even run there four-strokes with two-stroke oil occasionally in the tank to stop rusting. But if you do do this it would be wise to go out in the country for the bike will smoke like a bastard. Don’t get too heavy handed with the oil in the tank or it could foil up the plugs.

Motu
23rd February 2006, 19:31
They rust from the inside out...you could put some oil inside.I've used liquid Fisholene inside mufflers before - smells bad,smells really really bad....

blitz
23rd February 2006, 21:27
Thankz for all the input guys.

The exhaust is not bad at all (the scooters only 2 years old), its just got the usual slight surface rust on the under part of it.

Im just wanting to protect it so it will last a lil longer.

Will take it off and fully spray it with one of the product you guys recommeneded.

Cheers!!

JKWNZ
24th February 2006, 12:01
Done an exhaust with BBQ paint from Mitre10... Worked suprisingly well and 3 years later it was as good as new still