PDA

View Full Version : Bought myself some leathers

Deviant Esq
23rd February 2006, 12:05
Hey guys :)

Having been riding for just over three weeks on my first bike, with loans of a jacket and gloves (thanks very much Sniper, owe you a drink), and just recently a donation of a jacket and some boots (thanks very much StoneChucker, owe you more than a drink!), I decided to go the whole hog and get myself some decent riding leathers for when I'm doing more than the daily commute.

Many of you will have seen Minotaur leathers for sale in Online Trading under Shop Specials and Discounts (here's the link (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=20617) to the thread if you haven't). You can also see the lovely Sniper modelling a set set of two piece zip together leathers... and some nice white socks too! :laugh:

Anyway, I exchanged some PMs with Tony with regards to getting a set of these. Tony sent me to Canterbury Rides who also stock his Minotaur brand leathers. They charge a little bit more, as is to be expected really, but they of course are able to accept my credit card - I'd be hard pushed to buy any leathers without it!

Anyway, Canterbury rides have been very good to me, allowing me to try on three different sizes before finally settling on the XL. They are a small fitting XL, it's more equivalent to a standard Large I'd say. Still fits very snugly though. Initially I bought the XXL, but after it was pointed out to me (by Sniper... doesn't miss much, that guy) that they will soften up a fair bit having ridden in them a couple of times, I returned the XXL as it was slightly too big, and took the XL instead.

Beaut leathers, looking forward to going for a good length ride in them now! :2thumbsup
Shame they don't have any pockets though, will need to think of a way to have my wallet and cellphone with me when I'm riding. <_<

Here's a small pic of them, zipped together.

P.S. Happily recommend Canterbury Rides if you're looking for some quality leathers, they were easy to deal with and patient with my rigorous testing process! :lol:

miSTa
23rd February 2006, 12:10
Good on ya Redge, there's nothing like having your own gear. (Plus you cannot go too far wrong with Tony's stuff).

Colapop
23rd February 2006, 12:12
Are they a full suit ie. they're not jacket and pants? How much?

Good purchase laddie!

sAsLEX
23rd February 2006, 12:14
Good on ya for supporting a KB member and a local store!

No internal pockets at all?! Prob actually better in the long term as crashing with a cellphone there could add t o injuries.

Deviant Esq
23rd February 2006, 12:20

Good purchase laddie!

It is a full zip together two piece suit. So yes it is a jacket and pants, but they zip apart so you can wear just the jacket if you want to. It's quite short on it's own though. Together they cost me $650. It would be $625 direct from Tony, so barely a markup. Considering if you pay by credit card as I did it costs the company selling to you around 2%, which in this case is $12.50... they're not making any money off them really.

sAsLEX: Nope, no internal pockets, just checked. Is that a cellphone embedded in you, or are you just pleased to see me? :eek:

StoneChucker
23rd February 2006, 12:22
Excellent choice, I'm glad you've got some decent riding gear for weekend riding. If I had got some, they would have saved me getting a very painful skin graft!

Ride Safe;)

PS: I seriously think that boots, gloves, full cordura type gear, or leathers should be mandatory like helmets! And back protectors for the safety conscious!:hitcher:

phoenixgtr
23rd February 2006, 12:25
They're really cool. Nice one

Sniper
23rd February 2006, 12:30
(by Sniper... doesn't miss much, that guy)

When you are as good as me mate, you never miss too much :first:

Anyway, well done on the new set of skins mate

Deviant Esq
23rd February 2006, 17:20
Thanks guys :D

Been wanting to get some for the rides I seem to end up doing fairly frequently, and they seem to be a really decent set. They make me want to go for a ride... Anyone bored? :lol:

quickbuck
23rd February 2006, 18:15
Good on ya mate.
Great to hear you have your own gear now.

As for the phone and wallet, I chuck them into my tank bag myself.
I also need it dispaly ID when entering work, so the window in the top means I don't have to hunt for my wallet in my jacket.

I have about 20 pockets all over my jacket, but I figure that having Nokia stamped into my ribs might not be the thing the surgen wants to look at if the worst (well almost) happens. So the brick goes in there too.

nudemetalz
23rd February 2006, 18:22
Well done Redge...good to see you getting some good gear.

I must send down the w/s manual and centrestand for the 'ole NZ.
Also, no sign of that gasket yet, I shall follow up.
I trust is going well after the "TWR tune-up".

Nicksta
23rd February 2006, 18:57
good one dude..... nice leathers!!!!!

i love the Minotaur brand... just waiting on ladies versions... hint hint...

Bren_chch
23rd February 2006, 19:13
good on you for getting some leathers!

Sniper
23rd February 2006, 20:40
good on you for getting some leathers!

Don't you need some new ones? You are starting to put on weight.. :lol:

Bren_chch
23rd February 2006, 20:53
rude boy... i'll show u who's put on weight! :shake:

Sniper
24th February 2006, 06:57
:bleh: :bleh:

Deviant Esq
24th February 2006, 18:47
Well done Redge...good to see you getting some good gear.

I must send down the w/s manual and centrestand for the 'ole NZ.
Also, no sign of that gasket yet, I shall follow up.
I trust is going well after the "TWR tune-up".

Bike is running well, T.W.R is the bike maintainence go to guy, he sure knows his stuff about them. It'd just be handy if he lived a bit closer... or at least the way to his house was somewhat twistier... :devil2:

Only thing is, the front brake doesn't activate the brake light - I seem to recall that being a problem you had before you sold it to me. Any idea what it could be? Cheers.

Anyway yeah the leathers are nice. Hopefully when you come down in Easter we'll be able to go for a cruise! :)

nudemetalz
24th February 2006, 21:48
The front brake micro-switch generally needs a little CRC as sometimes water can get in an corrode the terminals a little. I had to do the same to the ZX-10 one. Take the lever off first. Should be easy to see then.

Yup, we're looking forward to our big ride at Easter, be good to catch up.

TygerTung
24th February 2006, 23:54
Hey bro, are you keen to go for a ride? You'll be able to safetly go hard now as you won't be injured when you bin off.

Anyway give us a text my number is 027 4288 726, I think we are going for one on sunday.

dangerous
25th February 2006, 08:07
Just a wee plug for the man himself..... http://www.motoequip.co.nz/

And a short cut to the leathers, gloves etc http://www.motoequip.co.nz/Minotaur-frontpage.htm
And even shorter cut to one piece http://www.motoequip.co.nz/Minotaur-1-piece.htm
And the two piece http://www.motoequip.co.nz/Minotaur-2-piece.htm
hey girls, is that a nice arse in those leathers or what:msn-wink: ..... stop perving Cowpoos :moon:

Ps: short cut to engine parts list http://www.motoequip.co.nz/Parts.htm

Joni
25th February 2006, 08:11
They are great leathers, I was having a lookie at Stankos last week...

Pity about that red head male they call a "model" on the promos :wait:

Sniper
25th February 2006, 08:51
You mean the, "Ginga", don't you Joni? :laugh:

T.W.R
25th February 2006, 09:52
Bike is running well, T.W.R is the bike maintainence go to guy, he sure knows his stuff about them. It'd just be handy if he lived a bit closer... or at least the way to his house was somewhat twistier... :devil2:

:niceone: wish i'd spotted this earlier, joys of chasing Salmon around the Rakaia & :drinknsin well done D/E nice leathers;)
Shhhh! D/E thats supposed to be a trade secret:whistle: we haven't finished with the NZ yet ;) .
:brick: Mid Canterbury's straight roads, the price we pay for peace n quiet :argh: but its the place where records were set:banana:

Hope the leathers break-in for all the right reasons :ride:

TonyB
25th February 2006, 12:26
Thanks DE, glad to see you were able to find something that suited! Also good to see you supported Canterbury Rides- they're bloody nice people and they really did do me a huge favour by offering to stock Minotaur.

Thanks also to Dangerous and Sniper for giving MotoEquip a wee plug for me- haven't been on here much lately so it's good to see someones looking out for me.

DE, you'll find that they become really comfortable after a few hours of riding so Sniper was right on the money.

I'm starting to run out of stock in some sizes and I've had to let a few people down lately. I'm going to try something new shortly- expect an announcement soon.

Also within the next week or so I will be able to accept Visa, so buyers will be able to take advantage of the points scheme and 55 days free credit that visa offers. It won't be a full 'online store' service, (that costs bucket loads to start and maintain) but it will be a system where I can tell within seconds whether I will be paid (always handy LOL) and it will be as safe as possible for both parties.

The parts page is out of date and I will hopefully sort that out this weekend.

Anyway- enjoy the new leathers DE. Please email or PM me with any questions or comments you may have. And try not to crash test them in the first two minutes of wear like Stanko did:niceone:

Quasievil
25th February 2006, 13:29
Hey mate go and grab a small magnetic tank bag, the ones that are about 150mm x 200mm they arent that expensive and work bloody well.
Salsex is right things like cellphones in your jcket pockets add to injuries especially broken ribs. I think Oxford make them ?

Yeah the leathers are good Ive seen them and was very impressed, just goes to show guys and girls ya dont have to spend big bucks to be in some quality kit eh ?
On ya TonyB
:moon: I mean :niceone: yeah thats what I mean

TonyB
25th February 2006, 17:10
Hey mate go and grab a small magnetic tank bag, the ones that are about 150mm x 200mm they arent that expensive and work bloody well.
True- just be careful with your Eftpos/ Credit cards. The magnets can wipe them. Had it happen once. Kinda hard to pay for petrol when your card is farked.:slap:

Yeah the leathers are good Ive seen them and was very impressed, just goes to show guys and girls ya dont have to spend big bucks to be in some quality kit eh ?
On ya TonyB
:moon: I mean :niceone: yeah thats what I mean
Thanks Quasi, I haven't seen your gear but I'm sure its crap. KIDDING!! A while back Quasi was big enough to send me a PM about the general perception people seem to have- apparently we hate eachother:lol: Sorry people, but believe it or not Quasi and I do NOT fear and despise eachother. We are not locked in a battle for control of the KB leather supply. Quasi is not my arch nemisis. No!!, astounding as it may seem, we actually try to send customers that we can't help to eachother. And so ends (I hope) another KB myth. Sorry to disapoint y'all.

Sniper
25th February 2006, 17:54
Yea, nice story Tony. I saw you sharpening the Scythe and reading over a map of Quasis warehouse full of leathers.......... :laugh:

Deviant Esq
26th February 2006, 16:50

Cheers Quasi, will have to have to have a look at that kind of thing, sounds like it'd be pretty handy. Alternatively something that can zip up or somehow clip closed that can be attached to the back of the bike, then I can have my licence phone and wallet with me when I'm in my leathers. Will have to investigate on my days off.

With regards to the war of the KB leather suppliers... I never imagined you guys would be unhappy with each other being in the market - you seem to supply to different parts of the market. I had a look at Quasi's stuff too when deciding what to buy, but ultimately Minotaur was the choice because it was so easy just to head down to Canterbury Rides and take all the time I needed. Price didn't really worry me much, but have been told by many people it's a crazily good price. :niceone:
Ended up having a good fitting, good quality set of leathers without having to worry about postage. Sorry Quasi! Maybe I can get some boots off you? :whistle:

T.W.R: I'll have to come help you chase salmon one day too :msn-wink:

TygerTung: Sure mate, be keen to go for a ride again sometime. Generally though I'm not in any great hurry to get to where I'm going, still say I'm a bit too new to riding to be pushing on too much for my skill level. Added you to my phone :)

MidnightMike
26th February 2006, 16:55
Pretty cool :clap: